Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Mobile Phone Based Payment System.

• 25-07-2021 9:59pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I can't find a simple answer to this on google: is there a common mobile phone based payment system in Ireland.

By that I mean that it does not matter which bank you are with, you have the app on your phone and can pay contactless in shops, dining facilities, hotels and private individuals by:

• Scanning a QR-Code
    • Holding your phone to a beacon
    • Entering the mobile number of the person you want to pay

And in all cases the amount gets transferred to the payees bank account regardless of the amount involved (limit is something like 5k).

My son just got back from a weeks holidays here (Switzerland) and he paid everything using the common Swiss system called TWINT. He paid everything from buying a sandwich at the supermarket to his hotel bill. I did a little reading up and is seems to becoming very popular as people like the idea that they don't to give anyone their financial details, they see exactly how much they are going to pay and further charges can't be made against the account.

Seems like we're catching up with Africa!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nope, nothing along the likes of the Africa and Chinese QR code or beacon systems.

Mobile phone based payments are solely the domain of apple or Google pay really. No direct payments from your bank to an in-person retailer via app. Payments either via G-pay or Apple or contactless via the card.

Card aggregation apps like curve are probably as close as we get, but even with that no QR or beacon options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have a few accounts with disposable virtual cards that work through Google pay, but that's as close as it gets

Advertisement