Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German shepard puppy

• 26-07-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all we got a German shepard puppy and I'm trying to figure out what best to feed her. Her poops are very runny doesn't and I can't pick them up. She would poop for ireland 🇮🇪 we had her at vets nothing physically wrong. I've a border collie puppy too and they both eat the same and her poops are fine not too dry not too soft. We have tried.

Eukanuba

Gain elite for large pups

Taste of the wild

Boiled chicken and boiled rice

But nothing seems to be suiting her. She is thriving and a bundle of energy.

Any words of wisdom as I'm sure it's uncomfortable for her. I do know they can have soft stools but hers are way too soft.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it’s on going I’d maybe be asking the vet to test for giardia. My pup was on Gain with the breeder and switched to raw the day he came home like his big brother and great poos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭kg703

My bulldog is a bit like that - chicken seems to be a trigger but it took us a while to find the right food. Have her on Canagan Highland Feast and now shes grand. But even treat wise its just veg and a couple of treats we found she can tolerate. Just make sure if you are switching food that you switch slowly (like half and half first and gradually increase) and try them out for several weeks as switching food will give them the runs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

What do you feed on the raw diet ? I've an older dog and two puppies under 7 months so trying to figure out if raw is best for all of them.. Giardia she wouldn't have any other symptoms other than the poops but yes I'll get that checked out I think to rule it out.

I'll defo check out canagan. Yeah I slowly introduced the food and gave it a month but nothing seems to really work. She might have partial solid stool and the rest runny. And my good she poops a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You did not specify but have you tried something like Rocco Beef or similar without chicken? Chicken and kibble (mites) are two common drivers if there's food issues. Hence going Rocco wet food Beef (none of the chicken versions) could help rule those out for you.

Ohh interesting. I've her booked into vet to rule our Giardia. Didn't know chicken and kibble was a trigger if there are food issues. Will definitely mention to the vet. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They are potential triggers; chicken allergy is common from a food source perspective (simply because most pet foods have chicken as a cheap filler) and mites in kibble is not brand specific but is there as well. Hence going wet one protein style feeding that's not chicken could be a way to test if either is an source of the problems and Rocco is cheap but good quality to use that's often been recommended here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

My dogs number 2s were pretty rough until I changed her to the following :

A grain, beef and chicken free kibble

No more tap water. God knows what the water was doing to me but it most definitely had a negative effect on what she passed. Once I did these 2 things she was fine the vast majority of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

What worming tablets are you using, vets or pet shop?

Are you giving your GSD treats? If so I'd keep well away from Bakers and cheaper stuff as it gives our old gsd the scour, as does beef and lamb whether raw or cooked.

Well I'm only giving carrots dried as treats and fish with pro biotics. Worm tablets from the vets. Staying away from wet food. Trying grain free she doesn't like taste of the wild none of them do. Looked for canagen in pet shop only had it for seniors. Has anyone tried the dog food 7 seven ?

• Advertisement

Tap water. That's interesting I'll try bottled and see how that goes. She does drink a lot of water. It doesn't effect my other two but it might her. Going to vets Thursday with her. Little pet I'm sure it's not nice for her.

Shes on hills ZD now as she had a couple of bouts of what was essentially colitis. That was after her being fine for about 4 years on fish based food but then when she got milbemax and bravecto on the same day for ticks and worms it was more than her gut could take. Occasionally she's had fish based food again and she's fine but better safe than sorry

I got her royal canin for German shepard puppies. Big difference normal stools now. Anything else seems to give her the runs. So gonna stick with this for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Calibri salmon & sweet potatoe good for GSD's about 70 a bag at the vets

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

a fresh sweet potatoe cooked and cubed in rice with a little boiled mince is a good food she need fibre if she is having loose stool

Advertisement