Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I’d agree with the above, I think that feeling comes from a general assumption that the League Final might be seen as a hindrance. Odd that a national title is viewed that way but I think it’s a demonstration of how the GAA can make a balls of the fixtures to the extent that the “secondary” competition is taken so much less seriously.

I’m coming around to the idea that in such a condensed fixture environment we should be going all out to win every game, carry the momentum and go from there. We’ll have the time to rest if we beat Roscommon in the first Round of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

That first half v Kerry was as good as I've seen Mayo play in many years. Laois man here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

The assumption that Mayo are safe in the league and the worst thing that could happen to us now is making the league final is worrying to me.

We should be safe but I've never seen Tyrone lose at MacHale Park.Then you have the high flying rossies where anything could happen and then up against Monaghan who will be fighting for their lives and are the relegation dogfight experts. Lastly we have Donegal in Ballybofey who will also be fighting relegation,when's the last time we won there?

I'm certainly not being negative but Mayo fans are getting ahead of themselves a bit I think,get to safety first at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If that's aimed at me, I certainly wasn't saying we are safe. Neither were The Sunday Game or Ah Ref, who I mentioned.

They were both saying that achieving safety would be the number one goal for McStay, and that another win was needed for that... and only then McStay might have the freedom to try new players out.

I wasn't saying that we'll win the league, but I think the right attitude is to go out and try to win the league. I just don't get the "it might be best to take the foot of the gas" approach if safety was secured.

There has been a lot of talk about Mayo fans getting ahead of themselves. I think that day is long gone tbh. The only people spouting that kind of stuff is from people looking to land cheap jabs.

People were happy with the Kerry result, we played very well but I think everyone recognised that Kerry aren't at the races yet. Happy, but not losing the run of ourselves imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I agree we shouldn't be taking our foot off the gas at all. We should be going to win the league without a doubt! I really find the Tyrone game hard to call and Roscommon are on a high at the moment so i don't know how that will go either.

But Donegal without Michael Murphy are not the same animal, we have managed a number of draws in Ballybofey over the last few years and Id be confident of at least a draw there again this year.

Monaghan are without doubt the relegation fight experts but they have been hanging on by a thread for a few years now. McManus is 36 this year, will they hang on again this year?

• Advertisement

Not aimed at you specifically, just an observation on things I've been hearing (including the media)

Personally I'll start worrying about whether being in a league final is such a terrible thing once we are safe with no major injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Ruane is a strange player. When he's good he looks like one of the top midfielders in the game. When's bad, like against Kerry, he looks so average. Goes from 5/10 performances to 9/10 performances. He's just not consistent. Though he always gives 100%. Diarmuid on the other hand is like the Denis Irwin of Mayo football, absolute minimum of 7/10 and regularly 8/10. He's way more talented than Ruane but just doesn't have those 9/10 games enough. Here's hoping they dovetail at midfield because they are both massive scoring threats.

Why do they pick McDonagh over someone like Boland? His football skills are not intercounty standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Agreed on Ruane. In 2021 right up until the final, he was outstanding. Then he had an absolute shocker in the final and I don't know that he has quite come back from that. He hasn't played as well since imo.

On the calendar, the GAA have made a **** up of the whole thing. The condensed season is a mess frankly and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it doesn't last. The chickens will come home to roost with injuries eventually. However, if we were to find ourselves in a situation where a league final was in sight, we should go for it. Why the hell not.

As for Tyrone, it's a tricky one for sure. No better team for giving everyone a land. I think they enjoy upsetting the apple cart and it will be a bit of a dogfight this weekend. Will need a lot of patience for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Boland doesn’t have physicality for inter county I enjoyed watching a big and strong half forward line Well able to win breaking ball and compete In the air Not a fan of the light forwards (loftus,boland, Regan etc

Regan is an out and out corner forward. Agreed on Loftus, he's also too slow for an 11 - I'm not sure of him at 6 either but I prefer him there than in midfield or forwards. Boland doesn't have the physicality - does/did Kevin McLoughlin? Boland is tough as nails and so good at picking up breaking ball. You could have a half forward line of Boland, Touhy, Flynn. Plenty height and physicality there. McDonagh is such a strange choice, he's not even the best half forward on the Westport team - that's Oisin McLaughlin.

• Advertisement

The media have been pushing it a bit in fairness. I noticed a few articles from the Examiner in particular that seem to be blowing things out of proportion.

I did see a lot of cheap jabs about the pitch being invaded as if we'd won an All Ireland flying around social media... but that pitch would have been invaded if we lost as well. Anyway, I think most Mayo fans are long enough in the tooth now not to be getting (too) carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not a huge McDonagh fan either but Boyler mentioned on the Mayo News pod that he was dropping back into the HB line to mark Moynihan which freed up Loftus to play a sweeper role - I wasn't at the match so I can't comment myself but it might be worth keeping an eye on him (and Carney) in the next couple of matches, maybe they've been asked to play a particular role in defence and that's why they're not as prominent on the ball as we might expect. I know in the Galway match, Orme played a lot deeper than I've seem him play before (e.g. setting up at wing back for the Galway kickout at times)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I believe Oisín McLaughlin stepped away from the panel himself. Boland is an accurate shooter but I wouldn't have said he's great at winning breaks. McDonagh is much better at that and competing for kickouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was sitting around Fionn McDonaghs wing forward position for the first half of the Kerry match. I said to my Da at half time that he was no-where near the pitch of the game needed for inter-county standard. He didn't seem to have any real desire to get on the ball. When he did look for it, the Kerry backs were able to outpace him to it, even coming from a position behind him. Maybe Fionn is showing well at training, and maybe the nerves of the big-day games gets to him. I don't know. But based on recent performances, he is not the answer for number 10 or 12 in my opinion. If only we could get another Jordan Flynn type addition - physical, energetic and enthusiastic for the ball. When I was watching the team doing the warm-ups before the game, he stood out to me. He has far greater speed than I ever credited him with. He is at the height of form now. Hope to god he stays free from injury. I know it might seem extreme to pencil our hopes on one man, but I think it is key to have him continue that sort of form if we are going to have a good run in the championship.

Fionn for me made too many mistakes the last day to justify his 51 minute inclusion. He kept slipping and making the wrong decisions going forward from what I could see on the Telly. I didn't see the actions Boyler mentioned but if thats what he was able to contribute, then fair play. He does work well on the opposition kickouts and I have a recollection of him doing very well in this regard in one of the FBD games I believe against Galway so perhaps he earned his stripes from that.

On the Boland thing - great lad to score a point or 2 but just not physically strong enough, was too easily pushed off the ball in my view. I spotted this in a number of the pre match warm ups too - most particularly when we played Kildare in the League last year. He was just being shoved out of the way too easily by the likes of O'Hora and Coen (as would most humans but that's what you're up against) and I'm sure in full blown training it would have been the same. There could be no comparison between him and Kevin McL, Kevin was a far smarter footballer in my view.

We do have a habit of bigging up lads who don't get games, the "Richey Feeney effect" I've seen it referred to. We had the same with Shane Nally who I recall watching him vomit on the pitch in Tyrone in the league in 2017. Now the lad could have been ill or perhaps he just wasn't up to the pace but when I saw that I did wonder if fitness was the issue with him. The following year he started the game against Monaghan and was rooted to the same spot for most of the game before being subbed off.

I'm making an example of Nally which is perhaps unfair as he had a wand of a left boot and was very capable of scoring from distance but the point really is there are aspects of a lads game who if he's only getting a short period in games and looks decent then people wonder why he isn't getting 70 minutes every game when in reality, they may not be up to the 70 minutes or just don't have the skills needed to play the game the manager wants to play.

Chipping in with point or 2 is great but if the opposition keeper is going to kick your direction each time because he knows' your opposing number has the edge on you and can create scores from it isn't going to help your case.

We can be quick to criticise players when they don't do what we expect them to do, but they may be doing exactly what the manager has asked of them.

What are people's thoughts on McStay's possible thoughts on the likes of Kevin McL and Jason Doc? Probably seen as impact subs at this stage?

I presume we'll start to see both getting worked back into things over the second half of the league. If both came back to anywhere near their former strength, it would be a massive plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Doc was away on his honeymoon and is only getting up to speed from what I hear, didn't travel to Armagh, another week or two before hes in contention.

Impact subs I'd be guessing for both lads

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

We have to be really up for the challenge that Tyrone may bring tomorrow night. The most recent time we played them at MacHale Park – during Covid in October 2020 – they relegated us, in 2018 they hammered us by twelve points, they had four points to spare over us in 2015 and a single point in 2013, we drew in both 2009 and 2006 and they humbled us by nine points in 2004. The game before that was the 1992 meeting, which we won by 2-12 to 1-11. They beat us by two points in Omagh last year. They defeated Kerry by one point last year down in Killarney. Tyrone can always pull out a big performance and we have a bad record against them in MacHale park, last win there against them was 1992.

I have watched him loads and I just don't agree with that but obviously the management think he is seriously lacking in something not to make the panel - not as if we are blessed with good half-forwards. Again maybe I don't understand modern football that well but I watched all Westport's games this year and you'd never have picked Fionn out as county standard. Then you watch Aghamore and Boland is always one of the top players in the game. I think it is very different to Richie Feeney thing. Anyway, we need a new number 10 for Championship. You can say 'oh he tracks back well and covers space for Loftus' but that's not going to cut it if you want to win an All Ireland - sure Diarmuid and Kevin Mc have been doing it for years.

• Advertisement

I'm a big fan of Boland as a player but sometimes you just have to accept that the management get to see an awful lot more of these guys and they're an awful lot more qualified to make the calls. He wasn't exactly a go to man for Horan. Rochdord was probably his biggest fan iirc.

Playing well in club games mightn't translate for some. Players who mightn't stand out in club games may be well suited for a very specific job for the county etc etc.

We're fairly lucky that we've had a long spell of managers who seem to be looking at/giving most players a fair chance.

I don't think McDonagh or Boland would come into the equation near the championship myself.

In Flynn, RO'D, CO'C, Conroy, AO'S, Carr, Jason Doc and KMcL we have 8 very strong players there (I might be jumping the gun a bit on Carr).

Outside of that, all I would be looking at is for a couple of lads to really put themselves forward from the likes of Carney, Tuohy, Towey, Orme, McDonagh, McStay etc etc

If you had 10 forwards you were confident in come championship, it would be some turn up for the books.

Sorry - the lack of strength.

Kev Mc was/is very smart but his biggest asset was his acceleration over a few yards - would get him out of any trouble and also create chances. Boland is a very clever player too and hugely courageous. I think the Feeney and Nally comparisons are a bit unfair as well. Boland is well ahead of them in terms of level of talent, relatively speaking.

Assuming he stays injury free, I think you can be much more confident of Carr than Jason D. I was shocked he made the panel this year. 33 years old, two cruciate injuries in recent years, minimal championship football played in the past 3 seasons - actually hasn't scored in Championship since the day he did his cruciate against Donegal - and he's competing with Cillian, Aidan, Ryan, Carr, Conroy, Towey, and Orme for inside forward positions.

On the Strength thing I'm afraid I can only tell you what I saw myself. The Richey Feeney effect was more a case of how people wonder why such and such doesn't get game time and the mystique and the perceived talent of said individual increases at an inverse rate to their game time, such that by the time they do get a game people are expecting a Clifford-esque player but are disappointed when they realise the talent isn't as much as they thought it to have been.

The Nally thing was more just another example of the same. Neither Feeney or Nally would have been comparable to Boland either, in my view, it was more how both had a similar case of perceived brilliance the less they played. I think Boland being relatively short didn't help. If you had to pick 2 lads at 5'10" and from Kevin Mc, Ryan O'D and Fergal Boland, who would be your first 2?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just on the talk of wanting to or not wanting to get to or winning or not winning league final.

I think it goes to show how the league changes priority from year to year.

Last year I said getting to the league final was a hindrance.

A big game v Galway was coming up and getting to and winning a provincial final was a big part of getting deeper in the championship.

Plus they had got to two finals in a row, had injuries and didn't need more games

And they got to it almost by default, all the others behind Kerry seemed to drop off.

But this year I'm all on for them getting to a final.

They are a young team, they had an early exit last year so they are fresh, they have a new management.

Getting to a final and even moreso winning it would be a huge boost.

Plus the new system has totally changed the priority of the provincial championship.

Irregardless of what happens in the Connacht championship Mayo will be in the group stages and unless they have a total meltdown or get a total group of death they will be getting to a quarter final.

Ah that's a loaded question! Kevin Mc and Ryan are/were better than Fergal but only Kevin is comparable - Ryan is not a wing forward. Kevin is better than Fergal for the reasons I gave but I still think Boland is in his prime and worth at least being one of the first subs on. We struggle for scoring half forwards and he rarely doesn't score.

A better question is, would you have McDonagh ahead of Boland in your panel?

On what I’ve seen, I’d probably have Boland but I don’t have the benefit of watching them in training or the detailed S&C and fitness metrics too, so I have to give the management team that do the benefit of the doubt.

Team named, Brickendon for Coyne and Tuohy for Carney the only changes I think?

1. Colm Reape Knockmore

2. Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis

3. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen

4. Enda Hession Garrymore

5. Stephen Coen Hollymount/Carramore

6. Conor Loftus Crossmolina Deel Rovers

7. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels

8. Matthew Ruane Breaffy

9. Diarmuid O'Connor Ballintubber

10. Fionn McDonagh Westport

11. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels

12. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers

13. Aidan O'Shea Breaffy

14. James Carr Ardagh

15. Ryan O'Donoghue Beal an Mhuirthead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Can't see them risking Diarmuid if he was carrying an injury last week. If I saw that teamsheet 4 weeks ago, I would have had my doubts. But the way those lads have performed in the first 3 games, I'd be very confident of a win. Hope I haven't put the "mayo overconfidence" curse on them.

• Advertisement

Carney might be worth a look at MF if Diarmuid isn't available

This team is beginning to prove themselves,if you saw that team at Christmas and said that'll be it for the league you'd be worried.

As always interesting to see the bench,Tommy will get some reception if he comes on.

Mayo ladies doing well against Dublin, under the cosh a bit now but still 4 ahead

Disaster in the last 20 from mayo, maybe the wind was very strong but we just started short passing backwards constantly and it cost us in the end. Very disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sarah Rowe has signed for Bohs...bit of a weird sporting career trajectory (?).... GAA, Aussie Rules, soccer in Oz and now back to soccer in Dublin.

Anyone know if she's going back to Australia or playing GAA?

15 mins gone and no score 😬😬😬

Edit: nevermind 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

Jimmy Goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Mayo will have a serious tilt at the all ireland. Very good balance to the team and a bit of depth. Only real weakness is a top end free taker to pick off those additional points thst win tight games.

Ye'll win out connaught and I'm not sure of the draw but if you could meet Kerry anywhere before the final then all bets are off. If I was McStay I'd be seeing if keegan would come back as a super sub for one last tilt.

Jack Carney's best display in a Mayo shirt?

Definitely the best I've seen anyway.

Another good result....albeit inflated somewhat by shoddy Tyrone defending for the second half goals.

The long period with no scores is disconcerting...will cost us against better teams

Maybe it is time to start losing the run of ourselves 🤣

What a performance... And you still get the sense that there's more to come.

Carney and Hession were brilliant. Diarmuid O'Connor is on another level, he makes it look so easy that he probably doesn't stand out half as much as he should.

Maybe Lee could be tempted back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I will now admit I booked the hotel for the all ireland last night

free cancellation obviously

I’m not completely crazy :D

• Advertisement

Never change Km79... I presume you've the draw backed as well

Expressed strong doubts about Fionn McDonagh during the week, but thought he showed very well tonight. Strong on the ball and made good decisions.

Hession was immense. The goal was like an out and out forward's goal. He is turning into a complete handful and a nailed on starter.

James Carr's confidence is high at the moment and he has put his hand up for selection imo. O'Shea's pass for his goal was sublime.

Diarmuid O'Connor also terrific, as was Carney who played his best football in a Mayo shirt yet. Serious baller there if he continues on this track.

Overall, we are looking well balanced and fresh. Hopefully we can keep it up. McStay teams in the past have sometimes run out of gas when it matters. Hopefully it's not the case here. Teams are going to catch up with our fitness and conditioning. Hopefully we don't run out of steam.

Also still think we should go out to win this competition. Why not. Winning should become a habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

LOL

I’ll need to back something to cover the cost of the hotel ! Mad prices already

Yeah I was giving out about McDonagh on this thread and he proved me wrong. Fair play, another good performance. We’ll need to stay grounded but no reason we shouldn’t go all out to win the league now, albeit we still have a few games to go before that’s in contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hession was a forward at underage and it showed in that goal. Lots of players now that are comfortable on the ball. Natural footballers with a bit of size as well all over the pitch. Hopefully we can keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I don’t think lee will be tempted back when the main reason he went imo is cos orourke and spilllane went

I think that should be the team for the Connacht game. Familiarity is a recipe for success

The long period with no scores is disconcerting...will cost us against better teams.

Yeah I noticed that in the second half, and it was present to a lesser extent v Kerry last week.

A few aimless shots to nothing going wide, but the huge leads in both games maybe a factor in that.

I just hope they don't start to drift out of games for spells like they have done before.

Lee isn't coming back, nor should he be asked.

We also didn't score until the 17th minute or so tonight.

Yeah, that sort of thing worries me.

Then again 12 different scorers scored, I don't think I have seen anything like that before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement