Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Performances especially in the last 2 games are very encouraging. The Roscommon game is going to be a sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

She is jumping on the world cup bandwagon hoping to get on the Ireland team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

i think the last time I saw that would have been the championship quarterfinals replay vs Roscommon in 2017. Would be nice if we could replay that sort of result again next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hession was brilliant I thought, like a young keegan / Higgins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Aido and Hession were class.

Diarmuid another level,it's so strange with him that he almost always delivers a 7/8 out of 10 performance and this level of consistency somehow means it goes under the radar.

We have a serious squad now,I don't know if any other county has the competition for places we have.

Safe in the league now so I think we should play on and try to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Enda Hession is so like Zippy it's unreal .

Taking the ball in the fb or hb line and just burning lads going past them.

He's becoming a very important player for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Is o'hora available for selection?

Good luck for the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He sure is. I couldn't go to the match yesterday, but when Enda Hession went off, there seemed to be a bit of a drop in intensity.

I'm glad Fionn McDonagh left me with egg on my face. Great performance. Completely different than last week. Seemed confident, and was demanding the ball. It was like he sensed that last night could be a make or break for him, and he had the courage to try to make sure he put in a good performance.

I think Jack Carney is best suited down the middle of the park, than on the wing. Another man who seemed full of confidence last night.

The keeper situation is a bit of a dilemma. I've been a big fan of Robert Hennelly - I'm very impressed the way that he has developed into a top keeper, despite a lot of negativity put his way some time ago. But Reape is well capable and in great form. I think I would leave it as it is, unless Reape starts to wobble when the championship pressure comes on.

It is an exciting few weeks as a Mayo fan. I don't know how long it will last, but it is nice watching their style of play and getting the end product. I know there are those who are forever the pessimist, and condemning those that get a little excited at a couple of wins on the trot (with the usual line that nothing is won in February). But everyone is realistic, and we know the a disappointment may be just around the corner. But until that happens, I'm happy to sing the teams praises, and have a smile on my face when discussing GAA matters. BTW, do not mention on the Mayo GAA blog that the team may do well this year. There are a couple of bandits there in the long grass waiting to snipe you down to size if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The keeper not a dilemma for me. RH 33 in a week. And we no exactly what we got with hennelly. Give reape a few games It’s amazing what confidence does for players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

going by clarke/cluxton so, you think theres only another 5 years left in hennelly? i do think reape is going well, and is a good all rounder. it would be a poor way to repay 10ish years of loyal service though.

If the team has aspirations of an allireland and game is in melting point. I’d much prefer the new lad. I’ve seen enough of RH in those situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

RH was one of our best players the last two years. Reape has been fine but don't think he has made a save in the league so far.

Don't think Reape has been tested as much as Hennelly would have been in the past. Our Defence is making sure of that. People would do well to remember how exposed our Full back and Keepers would have been in recent years.

Exactly. I'd like to see Hennelly in the team with McBrien and possibly Brickenden in front of him. 2 lads that are very strong under high balls.

i can see where your coming from. With the caveat. RH is the only current keeper that has won an all ireland medal (league) at senior level. and if i recall, he was instrumental to our success. neither Clarke nor reape have that accolade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

So Hennelly is guaranteed his place until he decides to call it a day?

Because he's been there so long, and has a league medal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He was tested against Galway when RO'D was found at full back... Could you imagine the joy some would get it it was Hennelly that let that one in.

Apart from that though, Reape has done very well imo. His free kicking has been excellent, early days yet, but he might look to have the upper hand on Hennelly on that front. Not that Hennelly isn't very good at them either.

I would be slightly concerned with Reape's kick-outs. The accuracy and distance are there but I just think he looks as if he needs an extra second to pick out the runners, find the man is space etc... He'll probably improve the more he gets used to the pitch of the games.

It looks like we've two very good keepers battling but I would think Hennelly will be given a chance to lose it before Reape gets a chance to win it.

There would have been no end of joyous howling from certain quarters had that been Robbie on that occasion against Galway. Sadly some of those that would take pleasure in it are apparently Mayo supporters too.

I personally think Reape is doing well but there is the caveat that he's not had that much to do other than kick the ball out. He's not been truly tested one on one and has had very few shots to stop. Good that we have keepers of that quality to rely on and given the number of games to play this year (assuming we don't fall out of the equations early) the strength in depth of the panel will be crucial. On that front, I've been impressed so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And just on the kickouts, I think it is the hardest and most pressurised skill in the game these days.

It would be fascinating to get a camera on an intercounty keeper to see what they see for a kickout.

It's very easy to see the space up in a stand or on TV, but if you ever stand behind a goal at pitch level, you wonder how they can pick out any runners. It's total chaos when the opposition puts on a full press.

Nobody said that. Some people just think Hennelly is still our best option, don't think there's anything too controversial in that?

• Advertisement

I read the comments below as arguments as to why Hennelly should be the number 1.

Im not against Hennelly being number 1 if Reape's performaces arent up to scratch, but Reape has the jersey now and I see no reason to change that.

[quote]

RH is the only current keeper that has won an all ireland medal (league) at senior level. and if i recall, he was instrumental to our success. neither Clarke nor reape have that accolade[/quote]

[quote]

i do think reape is going well, and is a good all rounder. it would be a poor way to repay 10ish years of loyal service though.[/quote]

I believe the first comment was a response to someone saying you don't want Hennelly when the game is in the melting pot. Hennelly has been pivotal in us winning a number of big games down the years.

Reape has the jersey but Hennelly has been injured so surely deserves a shot when he's back fit? Would you give Tommy C and O'Hora a start or two when they're available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

I get the feeling Hennelly might be considering his future after this year. In his interview when the transfer to Raheny was announced it felt the the travel was getting to him after doing it since college. He may find that even with the reduced travel at the back end of the year when club is to the fore he still sees it as a slog. Makes sense to give a potential successor as much time as possible now then. I would bring Hennelly in for Monaghan as a tune up for championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I believe that it will be no different for Hennelly than it is for O'Hora and Conroy. I fully believe that Tommy Conroy earned the bench position and the game time from performances in training and O'Hora will have to do the same. I think it will be the exact same for Hennelly now, I don't see him getting the jersey back when he returns to fitness unless he earns it on the training pitch.

I can see both sides of the argument, but I think it's really exciting to now have another goalie that really does have the potential to challenge Hennelly for his position!

Well that goes without saying. If Hennelly is playing terribly in training then he doesn't warrant a start.

If he's at a similar level to the last 2 seasons, he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

I'm just happy we have healthy competition for most positions now including goalkeeper. Just means each player has to fight for their place and hopefully limits complacency as season goes on .

We have been hit hard with injuries in recent times and hopefully this year it isn't a repeat . If not we def have a panel I'd be confident that wil bring us deep into the championship again.

Won't dare yet to get carried away but definitely optimistic on what lies ahead this year .

im not denying he’s a good keeper all the way along but he’s made the same errors time and time again on the biggest occasion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Hennelly's kickouts are better. One of the best, if not the best, in the game. The poster above who said it's the hardest skill in the game now is right, and when the pressure is on at the end of a match to find a man against a full court press or even when there's a guy free but it's a 40m kick into nothing more than a 4foot radius, is some skill!

Reape is doing well, good kickouts, great frees. Hennelly is better under the high ball - yes it's true - and also in shot-stopping. Mayo are blessed with keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Do folks expect Cillian to be a starter once the Championship gets going? Id have expected his minutes to be getting built a little faster than they are

• Advertisement

Hard to know where he may end up, but I think you are correct in that he'll be brought on rather than starting games. Looking at his minutes this year and he's not played a full half in any game yet.

Against Galway - Came on as sub for James Carr on 64 Minutes

Against Armagh - Came on as Blood Sub for James Carr on 33 minurtes, off at half time, back on again 14 minutes into second half for Jack Carney

Against Kerry - came on as a sub for Fionn McDonagh on 51 minutes.

Against Tyrone - came on for Aidan O'Shea on 60 minutes.

With the form James Carr is in, Aido in the square, Ryan on frees, it's hard to see why you would change that as a starting front line unless there's an injury, and given the condensed season you'd expect that's nearly inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Cillian will remain on the bench imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Interesting to watch how many of Reape's kicks have been clever movement patterns potentially straight off training drills. Have to imagine Gary Matthews is having quite an impact there the same way Donie Buckley's stamp is being seen over the defence.

Looking forward to seeing when Robbie does get a run to see if there's any noticeable changes to his patterns there.

no, your taking my comments out of context. in the plainest way i can put it, he has a national medal in his back pocket that says he can cope under pressure. Iv often criticised him, and rightly so, but mentioning his buckling under pressure time and time again, i dont think is really warranted.

If you recall the disaster final, he was brought in for the replay. that should be on rochford to bear the brunt of that poor decision, not hennelly. IF you or I or anyone else was brought in, knowing youve really got to perform, and knowing youve created a rift within the team, the pressure is much much more than just losing a final.

for all the comments that people have about Robbie in that replay, there was a clear reason at the end of that drawn game for Robbie’s selection in the replay.

If Rochford didn’t spot the issue, that would have been a failure of management.

If he spotted the issue and failed to act on it, it would have been a failing of management.

The decision to start Robbie in the replay was in my view 100% justified.

Disagree with that. Clarke lost a few kickouts in the drawn game, so what? We had 2 weeks to work on mixing our kickouts up a bit for the replay. It wasn't a binary choice of changing the goalkeeper or do nothing! Clarke's kickouts in the 2017 final were fine by and large.

Nothing against Robbie BTW, personally I always thought it a 50:50 call between them. However you can't change goalkeepers from game to game like a corner forward.

That final disaster was predominantly down to management selection IMO.

All water under the bridge now of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Of I remember that game Clarke had a good game. Not perfect but a fairly solid game. The information is the management was unduly influenced by a couple of players in the team from the same club.

Slava Ukrainii

That’s horseshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If you think Clarke could could have sorted his kickouts in the two weeks between those finals then you're deluded.

Clarke was a wonderful keeper but he really struggled when kickouts became a more important part of the game towards the second half of his career.

Hennelly is and was far better in that regard so I can completely see where the decision to start him in the replay came from. It was a big ask though asking a keeper to come in from the cold on such a big occasion.

The decision didn't work but if I remember correctly 3-4 points came directly from poor kickouts from Clarke in the first game. Those sort of mistakes don't live as long in the memory as a mistake for a goal but they have a similar impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

How do people still think that really happened. At the time, I thought it was a very rash decision. But in hindsight, it was definitely worth a gamble by management. We have seen since that Hennelly continued to develop his kick-outs. David Clarke didn't or couldn't. In the past 6 or 7 years, you can't have a goalie that floats a kickout up in the air, and cannot ping the ball to a teammate without a bit of speed in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

All the talk in 2017 was about the perceived weakness of Clarke's kickouts. He had an unusual kicking style that was too easy to attack and it wasn't going to be fixable at that stage of his career. Everyone knew it. The management at the time made a calculation based on the stats available. Robbie has a better kickout and did in 2017 too. Obviously stats don't always align with temperament and it was ultimately too much to ask of Robbie to go into a final basically cold. They made a judgement call and it didn't work out. Another day, it might have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What Reape has above Hennelly is a boomer of a kickout, he can hit the far 45, really important when teams go full press, Reape can kick over that press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

The bullsh*t being circulated by malcontents in the pub or on whatsapp was that "the management was unduly influenced by a couple of players in the team from the same club". I dont recall any "information" that backed that up though. Feel free to share however if you have some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Fair enough. I think Hennelly is more likely to score some distance frees though - they're 50/50 efforts - but outside Reape's range. Reape's technique is very good though, very like Rory Beggan and Niall Morgan. Reape needs to learn to become really aggressive around the square. Don't worry about fouls, the ref will nearly always side with the goalie.

• Advertisement

Why was Clarke picked to play in the 2017 final if his kickouts weren't going to work vs Dublin?

Of course there are things that could have been worked on in the 2 week. Players bunching in the middle and breaking to the wings, overloading one side of the pitch etc. God forbid the 2 O'Sheas and Parsons would take a bit of responsibility for winning the kickout too!

Hennelly was always better at that side of the game, but bringing him in in that situation was complete madness. That's not just hindsight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Re: 2017.....I remember being in Dublin the morning of the final and the shock around the place when the news broke that Clarke was dropped.

It's one of those margin calls that if it came off and we'd won, Rochford would have been hailed as a genius.

A Clarke-Hennelly hybrid would be the perfect goalie

2016 replay was the goalkeeper switch.

For the 2017 final, against the same opposition, Clarke was picked and our kickouts didn't fall apart by any means.

That's why I don't understand people still saying it was correct to make such a risky call for an AI final replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Worth looking at the last 20 minutes of the 2016 final, poor kick outs let Dublin get there points on the spin. Hennelly was sent out to warm up in that game. Wasn't such a big surprise Clarke was dropped. Issue for me was not subbing him on at half time in the replay as RH wasn't having the hoped for impact. Management needed the courage of their convictions either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers...all those games kinda blend into one massive trauma for me tbh 😂

• Advertisement
Advertisement