Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Nearly caved and bought Davin, but good halfway line seats on there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Team named

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

That's the team most were expecting, as per the usual this season it'll be more interesting to see the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Galway team out as well.

Wouldn't be shocked with that team starting or any of Power, Glynn, Paul or Patrick Kelly or Comer coming in before throw in either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I hope gleeson starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't think he will start. They'll go with Power on the day imo.

I agree

I’m hearing both Conroy and Cillian are on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Looks like stronger and more settled Mayo team on paper than Galway but it's all about the performances on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I usually get these predictions well wrong, but I think that team will start.

Wouldn't be surprised to see myself starting either though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I'd expect that team to start also. It's the same team that started against Donegal in round 6 and 10 of them didn't start against Monaghan with this league final and Roscommon match in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

One change, Tuohy in for McDonagh I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Either Power or Gleason would be behind Byrne,Robbie and Reape.

Its an obvious weakness in their team,I don't see many other weaknesses,I hope we have a plan to test their keeper early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Exciting reading down through the team. Unlike in recent years, not a weak link on the team based on their current form. In previous years, I would have put a question mark over Stephen Coen. Fionn McDonagh, Conor Loftus. Both they have been playing really well - Fionn sporadically but getting there. I think if he could get a bit of speed, he will be very effective. Coen is in massive form and far more confident. Can't wait for tomorrow. They may not win on the day, but getting a day out in Croke Park for a league final has by far exceeded my expectations for Kevin McStay & Co's first year in charge. David McBrien is quite inexperienced, but I think he is the perfect man to keep Shane Walsh of the ball. Maybe Durcan on Mathew Tierney. Sam Callinan on Finnerty. Other than that, I don't see any significant danger in the Galway team. With him being prone to injury, I don't think they will risk Comer unless absolutely necessary.

Management and the team have raised the bar so high so quick, that it will be a shock to us when we go through a poor patch of results again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tus maith leath na hoibre, as they might say on TG4...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

5 in a row for Galway

6-1 up and Mayo switch off,

Inability of putting the foot down when in the driving seat has been a major problem for decades.

Sorry , 4 in a row, but 25 minutes without scoring is a worrying trend that needs to be eradicated

Now we've popped off 2 on the bounce , brilliant from reape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Reaper lucky to have remained on the field. Could have been considered dangerous play. He did not go for the ball

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Who went off at half time for McLaughlin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Doesn't look great at this point. I'd have Aiden in the square a bit more. Keeping Galway way back, and not tracking back to the halfway line.

Should have been black for Walsh I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Reape saves the day again. Not Comer's best goal effort though in truth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We are throwing it away with sloppy passing.

Gone very loose in the last 10-15 mins...so many attacks butchered.

Well done Mayo.

The better team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Job done. Played poorly but you can only beat whats in front of you. To be fair Reape was great and prevented them from scoring the goals they kept looking for.

Only the league but important to keep our unbeaten record against Galway in Croker.

Paddy Durcan kept Comer in his pocket well too.

I’ll be interested to hear what Joyce has to say. I have ultimate respect for him as a player as he was outstanding, but he can come across as an awful whinger when on the receiving end of a defeat.

Great to get the win but what a terrible game. Galway are poor and we were sloppy.

Joyce won't be starring in any Island's Edge adverts anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a poor contest.

Questionable frees 🙄

TG4 interviewer lead him by the nose on that knowing which way Joyce would respond. There’s no love for Mayo from TG4 commentators anyway so it’s no surprise. I suppose when the headquarters is in Galway it’s easy to see why they would hold that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mayo won't get them frees against Dublin...........

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Reape challenge didn't stop a goal chance, late challenge after heaney missed a goal chance, get it right padraig good lad ! Questionable frees on both sides but Galway could have had a few more yellows demselves for some of their cynical wrap around challenges .

• Advertisement

Good to get the win but plenty of work to do yet. Think on the statistics Galway got more scores from play and won more turnovers. We were sloppy at times and had a couple of periods where we dozed off. Still, some good performances from the likes of Durcan and Callinan and Reape of course. Anyway, good to get the trophy and finish the league on a high. Now on to Roscommon.

I have been listening intently to what they say, trust me, there’s no love for Mayo there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I thought the ref gave us a couple of softish frees but Im not bothered.

May as well gove Joyce some fuel, he's going to whinge anyway.

Yeah there were one or 2 that are the likes we don’t usually get awarded, fouls on Aido in particular.

Any word on McBrien? Was surprised to see him subbed and it concerned me.

• Advertisement

I think it’s more down to a ref actually awarding frees for fouls on AOS. Not used to seeing them so think they are soft when they are blatant fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Poor game, but still it's good to win the title after a very good league campaign.

This win was built on the good early start.

Actually other than the opener v Galway and the last game v Monaghan I don't think Mayo have been behind beyond the first few minutes in the whole league.

Those leads are handy when they drift out of games for 20+ minutes at a time, as was the case today.

I think they'll get past Roscommon next week, but it will again be very tight v Galway after that.

Borderline red card. The ball was gone. Reape was not attempting to play the ball, from the rear view it looks like he swung a closed fist into Henry's stomach.

It could be considered dangerous play.

Slava Ukrainii

AOS got 3 frees today

3 stonewall frees

No wonder PJ is mad

They can normally do that they want to him .

Shane Walsh missed some pressure kicks today. He has delivered so consistently for a decade now though we can not question his mentality ……..

Drink it in

:)

it will be quiet on here tonight

enjoy

Borderline yellow more like. Came out committed to a 50 50 ball. Heaney sticks the toe on the ball past Reape and momentum means Reape takes out. Turns to take the hit meaning Heaney goes full whack into Reapes hip resulting in the injury

What did PJ make of Comers hit on Reape late on I wonder ……..that was less than 50:50

was it a closed fist ?

If Reape did hit Heaney in the midriff with a closed fist is it a red card offence.

The ball was gone by the time he got to him. He was not attempting to play the ball at all it was going to be a foul after the ball is gone

If that was the intention it was dangerous play. Definitely a yellow, borderline red. If he struck Heaney with a close fist then it a definite red.

Slava Ukrainii

I would be more interested in Conroys follow through with knee to head when he went to ground. And the black for Walsh when he pulled OShea to ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Good result. Thoroughly disappointed in PJ's comments. Mayo scored 10 out of their 14 from frees or marks.... Penny didn't drop for him that frees are awarded for indiscipline.... Felt sorry for Shane Walsh, if it weren't for him, Galway were lost at sea. Ditto for comer. Not sure if he got a point, but 2 Hawkeye wides.... Jordan Flynn and durkan had lovely points. Aos maintained his final record.... (Altho I think that's for championship) I really think heaney should have been subbed off from the field of play immediately, knowing that it wasn't a head injury, and let play continue until ready to come back on... Reape had some lovely saves... Tommy amde instant impact, but he needs to back himself more. Both times lead to points, but he could have placed himself in more scorrable positions. Great to see hession and coc on the bench, so too McLaughlin and. Conroy. Big plusses for next weekend

Conroy's was accidental if you watch the replay it was the way momentum carried him, Comer got a yellow card swing did not make complete contact if it had it was a red card

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement