Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

This is the draw I think a lot of Mayo fans wanted.

Its sh1t or get off the pot now.

Limping over the line against somebody like kildare would not give us the momentum we need.

The focus shifts immediately from yesterday's shambles.This team need a big performance to rebuild a bit of trust between fans and team and for themselves.

The negatives for a Mayo point of view.

Galway will want revenge for league final and regular league game.Galway and their manager really dislike Mayo.They are one of the best teams in the country and many peoples favourites to win Sam.The cycle of the team and management was primed for them to lift the big one this year.We have played badly in the last two games and have some glaringly obvious problems, we can't break down defensive puke football,Galway have always played this against us since Kevin Walshs time.We are being carved open down the centre regularly, the experiment at CHB has not worked.

The positives

I was worried before the draw that it would be hard for Mayo to mentally get up for this game,after drawing Galway I'm no longer worried about that. The game is in Salthill, we have a decent record there against them,certainly better than MacHale Park.We seem to have a full squad to pick from,Galway have some serious injury concerns and they don't have the squad depth to deal with that.The have to be a bit crestfallen about the situation they find themselves in,they really didn't want to draw us,PJ will be fuming.His hatred of Mayo is a weakness too,he's overly emotional at times. Cillian should be back in for this game.

Mayo always seem to perform when backs are against the wall.

Whatever about the result I think we should enjoy this occasion, there's been lots of shadow boxing and questionmarks about whether teams are showing their full hand,one eye on the next game etc in this new format.

There's no calculators needed for this,it's the biggest rivals in do or die championship.This game could influence the future of these teams for the next couple of years,this is huge.

I firmly believe Mayo will win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

From the Independant:

"McStay said everybody on the bench was aware of the importance of Aidan O’Shea free deep in injury time. Had he pointed, Mayo would have clinched second place in the group on score difference.

Instead, Cork’s three-point winning margin meant they finished level on points and scoring difference with the Rebels but lost out because they scored less. Kerry’s big win over Louth meant they topped the group on scoring difference.

“It wasn’t to be,” said McStay.

“I mean it was a very dangerous free actually. It was kind of under-hit. If someone got a flick to it, it could’ve ended up anywhere. The point would’ve been a nice one but I’m not pointing the finger at anybody on that play."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Ros to beat Cork, Monaghan to beat Kildare, Tyrone to beat Donegal and unfortunately Galway to beat Mayo. This is the gospel according to Man vs ManUre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

I don't see why people are making a big deal out of that last free.

We have a terrible record in MacHale Park, I'd prefer to be playing away, so I'm glad he missed that free. a goal or nothing at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Would go contrary to your first three, not touching El Clasico.

Maybe Aido was being smart and knew that a goal would see us top the group and a point would mean we'd have to play in MacHale Park.

I know which I'd be going for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭MacDanger

While I agree that the outcome doesn't have a negative impact on where we are, it was still a fairly poor effort from Aido. The fact that he dropped it short made it look like it was intentional but obviously if that had been the intention, he's the man we want in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah I'm really not bothered about the missed free. McHale Park is a cursed venue. Better off not playing there.

The ideal scenario would have been protecting a 6 point lead and getting a break and time to prep for a q final, which the more I think back on it, the more I just think it was an absolutely ridiculous fcuk up on the part of management and players. Even with the questionable penalty, they were still 3 points up and just needed to put the brakes on but they instead lost the heads completely.

Regardless of whether we win next week, and I don't think we will, it's a well rested team waiting on the other side in Croke Park. That's not a good position to be in. The teams in the QF already will dispatch whoever comes through the prelims imo. The winner of the whole competition is going to come from that group already through.

And I fully expect Comer to play next weekend. They'll risk him even if he's on one leg.

Post edited by PressRun on

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Gaa app updated my phone calendar earlier....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Total F U. It is shooting yourself in the both feet... idiotic stuff. The only team laughing are Kerry. Handy all ireland for some team as there is feck all between most, but Dublin and Kerry have more quality. No better team to take handy all irelands than Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

He had a moment to do a quick 1 - 2 but this never entered the head to try to work it in

Haha! This lad keeps replying to me but I can never see it.Everything he posts gets deleted in minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Or if a few teams in the prelims win their quarter finals, they'll have benefited from being battle hardened. That door swings both ways more often than not imo.

The only real concern about playing an extra game is the injuries imo, and they can be picked up in training fairly handy as well. The set ups are professional enough to be able to cope with a game a week.

Less preparation time tactically but I'm not sure a whole pile of that is going on. We were running into Cork for the entire first half and that goal was absolutely sickening in the sense that the warning signs have been there for all to see... expect for those picking the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Time so see some ruthlessness from management I think. Whatever way you slice it, the team has massively underperformed in 3 of the 4 championship games they played this year. I hope they have more strings to their bow than crossing fingers and hoping teams take us on in a fire fight like Kerry did, or it will be a short season.

I cant personally see how anyone couldnt find fault in the CHB position the last couple of games. James Carr is probably due a sit down too, though I think he has a lot to offer before the season is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What are they seeing when they watch Loftus at CB? It seems so obvious to literally everyone else. Is it just stubbornness? Its not fair on him either, hes been a forward his whole life and is now getting crucified for playing poorly in a completely different position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If Loftus is selected at 6 this weekend I'm finished with this management.

3pm Sunday, being shown live on RTE 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

The referee clearly wanted Mayo beaten on Sunday giving Cork everything, but Mayo should have built up a margin of error so he couldn't have impacted the game.

Don't know what it is with Mayo teams over the years, but their inability to put the foot on the throat of opposition teams is baffling, and its costing them year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

In fairness, there have also been loads of occasions where Mayo reeled in a large deficit to draw or win.

Do you honestly believe that an inter county ref went out with the intention of helping a team?

The only thing that's baffling is that there are people like you who genuinely believe that kinda rubbish

Look at the hits Rod took early doors, borderline violence.

Jack Carney violently punched in the back of the head , while the ref literally standing right next to both them yet only produces a yellow.

Very dubious/soft penalty to keep Cork in the game, all pods in agreement today.

Blew the whistle 5 seconds before time was up, despite many stoppages in stoppage time.

Cork deserved it due to Mayo's lackluster final quarter , but that ref made some very odd calls.

I'm sure there was nothing malicious in the refs intentions. But in fairness, you do have a point in terms of the refs calls. The punch in the back of the head by the Cork full back was a strange rush of blood by him, and he deserved to go. Maybe the ref didn't see it properly, and thought he was making an attempted for the ball. But it was as blatant a red card as you will see for striking. And Ryan O'Donoghue took a a whack to the head, that he actually let play on. That was bizarre. Even if we were to ignore dishing out a card for that strike, how it wasn't given as a free was a strange decision. It's difficult to fathom what could have been going through the refs head when the incident occurred. Did he think Ryan dived? I don't know. In any case, like you say, Cork deserved the result - due to the way they dug in and clawed it back in the last 15.

He gives a yellow for a violent punch on Jack Carney literally yards away from play, but couldn't blow quick enough for a penalty despite being 20 meters behind the play.

Make it make sense ?

You're only looking at it from the Mayo side. Cork were roaring for a black in the first half, could easily have been given. ROD bought a free in the second half where the pass in was over hit, ROD stops and the let's the back go through him to win the free.

People thought the ref was against us v Roscommon too. Funny how we get rode the days we lose

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

If Comer and Kelly are injured for Galway, plus an off form Shane Walsh turns up, you’d fancy Mayo’s chances. They need a new line of thinking re attack against blanket defences. They didn’t break well at all against Cork after winning turnovers which I was surprised at. Kept playing keep ball instead going nowhere fast. I’m worried Shane Walsh just needs to take one look at Mayo and he’ll be all fired up, at home in Salthill with the crowd behind him. Will be an interesting battle and if Mayo do go out, at least they’ve brought in some new players this year. It’s disappointing considering how the League went and even the Kerry match went.

I was at the Roscommon game, and thought in real time that the ref was bad. But I was led by the crowd roaring, tensions running high and not having the benefit of rewind and replaying the incident. I went home and watched the match that night, and rewound some of the "dubious decisions". It turned out he got almost all of them correct in my opinion.

I wasn't at the Cork game - and had the benefit of replaying the incidents on the screen straight away. And the incidents referred to in the last few posts are bizarre calls by the ref. The ROD incident that you referred to is a free all day long. ROD has the option to stop in his tracks if he likes. Just because he stopped, and the back went through him like a runaway train, doesn't male it any less a free. He was clearly taken out of it.

Anyway, what's done is done. Can only look ahead to the Galway game now. Can't wait for it. Any update on the Galway injuries. I would really fancy Mayos chances if Galway without Comer and Kelly. And we have good enough backs to keep tabs on Shane Walsh and Matthew Tierney. Midfield would be the main worry. Galway have Conroy, McDaid, Cooke and Maher. The 4 of them are unlikely to all start, but they are all big strong athletic guys who can play ball, and have plenty of experience. Our midfield area seems fairly limp in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

If, as is being suggested, comer and Kelly weren't there because galway mgmt didn't get their paperwork organised in time, then I think its fair to assume they'll make an appearance on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

They couldn't be replaced, rather than included, due to paperwork (although that's now being disputed). Neither were deemed fit to tog so both were removed from the squad. God knows they couldve done with either with 10 mins left. McHugh rather than Kelly also, Kelly went off hobbling

I can't understand Galway not starting Maher, anytime I've seen him, he's been very good.

I'd say Kelly will start - a week's rest and strapping should be enough for an ankle injury like that. Hard to know with Comer, he'll be a big loss for them as he's the real leader of that team.

Looking back at our recent championship form makes for grim enough reading:

Cork - 6 up with ~10 to go and completely fade out of it to lose by 3

Louth - won by 1 but far from impressive

Kerry - excellent win with the caveat that Kerry were very open, won by 5 but it should really have beeb double that

Roscommon - lost by 4, can be somewhat excused by the league final a week previously

Kerry - lost by 8 despite having chances to put Kerry under pressure, faded badly in the last quarter

Kildare - behind for long stretches until a late burst saw us over the line by a flattering 5 points

Monaghan - won by 4 in a scrappy aul game

Galway - lost by 1 but were 5 down with a few mins to play and unable to get the equaliser

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

"I hope we get Mayo tomorrow, they are headless when pressure is put on them." Galway Supporter on boards.ie, that is what some Galway Supporters think of Mayo. We lost a five point lead against Armagh, we were nearly caught by Louth and lost a six point lead against Cork. To win in Salthill we will have to show Character and Leaders in the Team will have to stand up. Johnny Heaney has scored a number of goals against us (Stephen O Brien tracked him and blocked his goal bound shot in last year's Final) are we ready for the threat the Galway Forwards pose?. If every Mayo Player stands up on Sunday we can get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Hard to argue with the Galway man there. We have to go out and impose ourselves for the full 70 and see where that leaves us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Poor Roscommon got robbed in the minor Connacht Semi Final this year against us with some ridiculous calls in our favour and plenty of cases where refs can also be poor in general and not having the decisions tending to favour one side or the other. It's not just Mayo-bias saying a ref had a poor match when they have in fact had a disaster.

The weekend was one of the worst performances I've seen in a while. When an intercounty ref pulls a team twice for punching the ball on the ground, perfectly executed under exception 1.2(ii) of rule 1.2 as they've fallen/been knocked in possession, they're literally not getting the first page of the rules right (page 70 of Part 2 really, but first page of the football section). The ref wasn't solely responsible for the loss, we managed that all by ourselves, but we have to demand higher standards from intercounty officials and do a much better job of protecting our players (the lack of retrospective action by HQ against both/either Cork and Armagh for incidents involving intentional head punches, or even more so the sucker punch from Brannigan in the club game in Down a couple of weeks ago that cost a few teeth, is bizarre).

This isn't ref bashing in general... we have great young refs being locked at junior/intermediate/underage for far too long while poor repeated performers remain at senior/intercounty level too long too. The system of grading/selection is horribly inefficient and damaging the performances on show (notable Fergal Horgan didn't quit over abuse from the sidelines so much as abuse from HQ). Burying our head in the sand and pretending things are fine won't work here. We have to aim for better if we hope to improve things.

There is a separate thread on this forum about that specific rule - Rule 1.2. It's a very interesting read.

For some unknown reason, it has completely flown under the radar, and not many know about it. This includes the commentators on GAAGo (Michael Meehan was one). They said the ref was correct. When most people see a player on the ground punching the ball along the ground, they automatically think it is a free against that player. I did too until a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

I posted that up on another thread last week. The fact that no one questions it when it happens makes me think that referees are told to interpret this rule as in control means holding the ball when on the ground as that seems to be the way it is always officiated. Which is consistent at least. Would love to hear a refs opinion on this.

What stood out for me on Sunday was the ref let Cork away with obviously over-carrying on a minimum 5 occasions, up to 10 steps, in the first half. and then pulled Mayo back for what was no more than 6 steps. There is no consistency in how the steps rule is applied.

Post edited by crusd on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I don't care for commenting on the refs but I'm going to now. I was right in front of where Jack Carney was punched in the back of the head. The ref had a clear view, was watching that very play and had to have seen the punch as he was the right side of the players and really shouldn't have been in any way hesitant to give a red card. Maguire trips Carney after the punch too, so if he reckoned he didn't see the punch, he should have seen the trip, which was a black card. Neither transgression were yellow card offences which is what he dished out.

The ref was reasonably consistent in terms of the steps rule but the O'Hora call was another that was in front of where I was that puzzled me. There were a few calls (I'm fairly sure there was a sideline that was given to Mayo that should have been a Cork ball) but realistically, if a ref misses a few big ones or makes the call wrong, there should be someone in the assessors group pulling him up on it. He's the only man inside the while lines getting paid to be there so it's on him to get it right. There's a narrative and I'm loath to believe it that refs try to "make a game of it" and reducing Cork to 14 for the Carney punch would have not been doing that. I'd be of the view is that it's the refs job to apply the rules consistently and correctly. He's not there to create the entertainment, he's there to officiate, and if he doesn't do that he's failed in the role.

By the same token the organisation doesn't make it easy for refs either - multiple rule changes, a lack of protection from the organisation in general can't make it easy. It would be a lot better for the game if the referee was respected as is done in Rugby, but they need to help themselves in that regard - the application of the rules shouldn't vary from one transgression to the other, or from one ref to the next, as appears to be the case, and they have to be more consistent in all aspects of their administration of games.

Memories of Colm O'Rourke and Darragh Maloney ranting about one Sean Hurson (correctly) allowed under 1.2(ii) for Damien Comer a few years back. So not the first time we've had commentary on the wrong side of it.

There was a big one back in '95 too (when I first heard of it) for Tyrone but I'd tend to give the ref the benefit of the doubt on that one. Peter Canavan didn't seem to be in possession as he fell, so 50/50 call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Mayo be aware Galway supporters in GAA Forums will talk up the injuries in the Galway Camp and Mayo may fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

This is 100% happening. I think both Comer and Kelly will line out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Excuse my ignorance but I've seen "Swannie" mentioned a bit on this thread.

Who are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Kelly looked well fu1cked coming off the last day they left him on far to long.

On the rumour mill this week I have hear coc fell out with Stephen Roch that's why he wasn't named and played for balintubber also that the players got food poison all a load of sh1te if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

It would have been more of a punishment to make him play for Mayo the way we're going atm 😂

The food poisoning would be a load of sh*te alright!!

I think they were right to let Cillian play the league match - he obviously wasn't fit enough to play much part so it was better getting a full club game into him IMO.

Agreed.

Getting +50 minutes for Ballintubber would have been seen as potentially a lot more valuable to him, and Mayo, than 5 or 10 odd against Cork when looking forward to assumed QFs & SFs.

Notable that he hit a single score from play, a goal, in the club game. Doesn't sound like a fully fit and match sharp Cillian ready for intercounty despite how the headline playing a full game or scoring 2-6 makes it sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Not much hiding what's going on when everyone watching on TV could assume it's a bad ankle injury when there was a lot of pain when he walked or ran. 7 days wouldn't get that back to normal.

Comer alright I think will be at least a sub and will get game time. It's too big a match to leave him untogged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement