Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

To be honest, I'd love to see Flynn at 10, DOC at 11, and Bob Touhy at 12 with the license to challenge at midfield for Dublin kickouts. He is an excellent fielder and very mobile. Also, likes to kick the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

He's an excellent man marker, he marked and kept scoreless Diarmuid Connolly at his absolute peak. His lack of pace is always called out but it's very hard to point to occasions where it's exploited because he reads the game well.

He's been a started for Mayo for 5/6 years now, that's three different management teams.

But you're probably right

Like I said, he is not an "excellent" man-maker. If he was he would be given the job of keeping Con quiet next weekend. He's never given the job of marking the opposition's best forward. I'm not saying he doesn't read the game well but his lack of pace means he can't be left one-on-one with someone pacy and also means he can never take the ball off the keeper when we're under pressure, like Hession or Eoghan or Paddy or Callinan can. He can't beat a man a kick it over the bar like all those can as well. His skill set is limited. He is picked because he is safe and maybe I under-rate that quality in a player but my original point was about the heat that Eoghan was taking despite having a much bigger positive influence than someone like Coen who was so quiet in the game bar his fisted point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You can't possibly be calling Coen's skill set limited while also claiming Eoghan McLaughlins are solid

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

The team all work to the best of their abilities, honestly I’m glad we’ve Coen and McLaughlin to call on for specific jobs. With these high intensity games close together my question is, are there any injuries to the current squad and how that’ll be covered? Dublin will be waiting for this one….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

He's very frequently called out by top level coaches, managers & players (teammates and opponents) around the country as one of the most underrated players. A fair bet you could be underrating his play.

"He's never given the job of marking the opposition's best forward."

Sure he has. Multiple times over the years when we were lacking better options. He's done solid jobs on physically imposing inside men dangerous on the edge of the square like Michael Murphy, Rian O'Neill & Damien Comer or lads further out who tend to pull strings like Diarmuid Connelly, Matthew Tierney or Johnny Heaney. We won't tend to use him on the square at the moment, we have options like David, Rory or Donnacha that can handle various matchups we've in the past had to turn to Stephen to fill, but saying he's never given the job when he's done it frequently in the past is inaccurate.

When you compare him to speedsters based on speed, or to attacking defenders on attacking ability, he won't 'win' (should be noted he's gone from one of our least progressive passing defenders to one of our better head up scanners for the new system waiting for the right penetrating ball & making the right choice consistently - complaints on his attacking ability are a bit outdated based on the last 6 months) but that's not how the game works. It's about a total package and what Stephen brings isn't matched 1 to 1 by anyone else in the squad (in the same way what Eoghan, Paddy, Enda, Sam or David bring isn't matched 1 to 1). He won't tend to blitz past a defender at 100mph but he'll quite often surge down the field completely unmarked where the 'faster' opposition don't have the legs to keep up with his running any more.

Try and get to a quiet challenge game at some point and stand near the Mayo 45 or defensive D. Just listening to Stephen barking orders to the surrounding lads (he was doing it to veterans like Boyler, Keegan and Vaughan even as a young fella any time they switched off momentarily) you'll get a masterclass in top level defending. He does his own role well (with that role varying from filing gaps from 2 to 9 and doing the donkey work all over the pitch) but just as importantly he dramatically cuts down on 'mistakes' (be it defensive positioning or dropping intensity) by the others around him making them (and the team) better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Some Hill tickets available if anyone still needs tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sean Deane steps down as minor manager and expressions of interest being sought for the U20 position... Seems inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

When have Hession or Callinan beat a man and kicked it over the bar? Not for Mayo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Advertisement

See Callinan beating two Galway players in injury time to take the ball out of defense in the lead-up to James Carr's winning score at the weekend? 19 years of age and doing that injury time of a knockout game. That's leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭crusd

In terms of ability and leadership , Callinan to me is alot like Sean Kelly when he first broke through

He has a very high ceiling. Would like to see him get on the scoreboard soon but he's probably the best young defender we've produced since Keith Higgins (or Oisin Mullin if you're being particular!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The closer it gets, the more excited I feel about it. Should be a great game either way and I feel both teams won't be lacking any hunger. There might be an edge to it, but that's what you want imo. Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sunday's team & subs announced

Mayo (All-Ireland SFC quarter-final v Dublin, 2/7/2023): Colm Reape (Knockmore); Jack Coyne (Ballyhaunis), David McBrien (Ballaghaderreen), Padraig O’Hora (Ballina Stephenites); Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels, captain), Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore), Eoghan McLaughlin (Westport); Matthew Ruane (Breaffy), Diarmuid O’Connor (Ballintubber); Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Jack Carney (Kilmeena), Jordan Flynn (Crossmolina Deel Rovers); Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy), Tommy Conroy (The Neale), Ryan O’Donoghue (Belmullet). Subs: Rory Byrne (Castlebar Mitchels), Sam Callinan (Ballina Stephenites), James Carr (Ardagh), Enda Hession (Garrymore), Conor Loftus (Crossmolina Deel Rovers), Fionn McDonagh (Westport), Darren McHale (Knockmore), Donnacha McHugh (Castlebar Mitchels), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore, Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber), Bob Tuohy (Castlebar Mitchels).

Basically O'Hora and Ruane in for Callinan and K-Mac, with a bit of positional shuffling to accommodate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I expect Mayo to win , more confident about this one than I was about Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Team up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Coen in at 6 and I can see hession strating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I like the look of that team, and a powerful bench to come in as well

Unless he injured, I think Callinan starts - maybe for Doc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Even those aren’t good stats

Assists is a bs stat in Gaelic Games. Pass leading to shot coupled with frees won leading to a shot free is more important. Can’t be having a player being punished for someone else missing a shot after setting a chance up.

A blind turnover number doesn’t tell a story either. Possessions per turnover is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That is a good bench to call on. Very arguable that the following should be first team players:-

Enda Hession, Sam Callinan, Cillian O'Connor, James Carr, Conor Loftus and Donnacha McHugh. If those 6 were on the team instead of a current 6, I don't think it would weaken the team in any way. Great choices to have.

If Hession does start, maybe a place in the half forwards tracking Jack McCaffrey might be an option, and trying to get McCaffrey facing his own goal with Endas pacy runs. But it's not as easy as it seems to change a back into a forward and expect it to work straight away. I know Mayo did it with Keith Higgins some time ago, and it worked sometimes, but other times the game just passed him by. Going to be a bit of pressure on Ruane on Sunday - eyes will be on him to see how he reacts after being dropped for the Galway game. It will be great if he responds in the positive, and we can say afterwards that maybe being benched had a good result. But if he has another anonymous day, it will be a further nail in the coffin that we will need to find an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would have a similar opinion to you for the very same reasons but this is in the minority here. i don't buy this captain of minor, mind the house crack, not his job etc. He is in senior now, you attack when you get the chance and positions means very little these days. He has a lot of positives but it is the attacking threat for me is the big negative... i don't mean scores but the ability to attack. I was delighted that he attacked the last day for the first score and got a score but I would love to see it more. I can understand as well why he won't as he lacks significant pace and needs to be careful/play a game to not have these exposed. Management are happy with that so for him, that is all he is concerned about and that is what I would do as well in his shoes.

Is that good enough to win the big prize, only time will tell, but he is just one cog in the wheel as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Best parking options for Croker if landing around 2:30/3:00? Will have the young ones. Heuston car park and the Luas probably the handiest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Maynooth and train to drumcondra if it still stops there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Think I'll chance the M50 and come down into East Wall area. Might be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Apparently not. I remember being given some amount of stick for scoring three goals in a game from midfield when "a point was on"

Ladies well ahead against Laois after a sickener last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Ive a spare ticket in block 733 tomorrow, dm me if anyone is stuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Squandered awful lot of scoring opportunities tho,will have to be more clinical to get much further you would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

I have 1 spare ticket in the hogan 326. Dm me if anyone is after a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Tyrone absolutely destroyed today, but its no surprise given they have been bang average all year, but make no mistake the media will big-up Kerry once more and will be heralding them as standout favourites once again.

Likes of Anthony Moyles & Enda Varley look rather silly right now after that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Armagh and Monaghan very exciting. McManus is an absolutely elite player. He is a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

On the special match train tomorrow, leaves at 7.20pm, if we go to penos not a hope of making it, even extra time would be pushing it, ridiculous time for departure considering its a match special

Anyone with a couple of spare juvenile tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

ging around Heuston for the night.

I believe they will delay the train if this happens. It happened last year to account for the Kerry v Mayo game being delayed (due to the Armagh v Galway game going to penalties). Last thing CIE want is a few thousand irate supporters hanging around Heuston with no way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,803 ✭✭✭Trampas

More spots in leixlip Louisa bridge but same idea as just a stop closer than Maynooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

No injury Rumours for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've a level of confidence in this team beating Dublin that I have not had in a long time.

Now it's not a huge deal of confidence but it's there all the same.

I think Dublin are the perfect team to play our natural fast running, long passing game against.

We have spent weeks in the doldrums trying to break down these blanket defenses, now it's time to get back to normal.

It's great to see that the management have done something to address the issue at 6 and not just ignore it

I think we will see some of the best of Buckley's work come out today with hard agressive tackling, especially from the full back line.

I don't think Dublin will be prepared for the ferocity of the battle and even though they are a very good team, Mayo will prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

I have absolutely no idea what to expect from either team!

It's a nice way to be going in really - no real expectation, just see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Whatever happens today ,we can say McStay has had a solid debut season.

That wouldn't have been the case had we lost to Galway last Sunday, so its pressure off for me today.

Well in this, I think we're good enough to win from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Pity the Flynn goal wasn't rightly allowed

We should be winning this game

Took way too long to make the change but at least it’s made

Carney will be lucky to see the second half as well

I’d worry about Eoghan mc on a yellow

But we will win it

Cillian to be the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Terrible from Callinan, unfortunate but you can't do that.

Reape needs to up his kick outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

...☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jesus what a miss 😢

This is the most mayo game ever

Not an ounce of football in him

Pointless persisting with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Eoghan McLaughlin?

I'd tend to agree.

I rewatched the Galway game a few days ago and thought he made more mistakes than what he did right.

I don't like to criticize players but I don't think he is at the level required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement