Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Legs gone by HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is Conroy still on the pitch?

Not having a go at him but I don't think he got a touch in the second half 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

We were not allowed say it though

Absolutely pointless

Uncoachable

O Hora is another one

there is a reason he wasn’t anywhere near intercounty set up for years

The manner of this defeat reflects very poorly on the management.

They're blessed to have the league this year but some serious questions should be asked.

1. Really failed to time peak performance for the Championship.

2. No real development in play versus blanket defences.

3. Persisting with Loftus at CB all year for him to be dumped aside.

The Dubs were good today but we couldn't raise it when needed. Terribly flat performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

I said at the time, that Mayo seemed to be peaking in the league.

look at the gears Kerry & Dublin went up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

When you know a relentless attack is coming to begin the second half, even if it’s incredibly difficult to stop as it always is with Dublin, surely there has to be an approach to stifle them as much as possible?

Credit to the Dubs for going out and battering us in those 8 minutes, but there was a complete lack of effort from Mayo and tactically we played right into their hands.

Felt exactly like 2019 all over again.

Standing back from the disappointment, hammered Kerry twice, beat Galway three times and top Connaught team, we’ve had worse years

• Advertisement

I'm going the other way tbh. We beat a Kerry team who were miles off the pace and without Clifford and O'Se starting in Castlebar. Pointless really with the bigger picture in mind.

The game in Killarney was really impressive but finishing third in the group undid the good in that.

We drew once and beat Galway twice, ambitions should be greater than being the top team in Connaught.

They are coming ……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I would think that the holders of the Nestor Cup would quite clearly be the best team in Connacht.

But cope however you must.

They have arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Going to assemble some thoughts more coherently tomorrow, but it was a shambles and so many problem areas I don't know where to start. Midfield a mess as it has been all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Destroyed around the middle in the 2nd half, miles off it and no apparent strategy for kickouts

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Mayo lost to the better team today, Reape’s kickouts, midfield and also the lack of drive from the team lost that match. Not going forward enough, lateral passing around the back going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bmomoran

This analysis was very much off the mark.

your little bit of confidence was very much unjustified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Dublin got the start to the second half Mayo needed.

Their second goal was very naïve and that was the end of the contest.

Very disappointing after a bright first half but Dublin took us to the cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

My biggest gripe was ohora. Too much time spent grooming his hair than honing his skill..carrying too much weight to be competitive.

I felt aos should have stayed on, when in the melting pot, there was no target man inside. And he set up a lovely point in the first half, as well as a midfield win. Eoghan, i thought did well, but doesnt seem to be the consensus.

I really thought jordan flynn was one of the few that wanted to bring the game to dublin.. i know he kicked a wide early and anoter 1/2 short, but i think those 1/2 were deliberate hail.marys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hopefully, tje mayo response will be similar to a kerry one. Out for scalps and dropping players and/or management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I wouldn't criticize Mayo for going for the league, it's a new management team and winning the league in your first season is not a bad way to start.

For next year they can concentrate on experimentation etc, just ensure that they stay in Div 1.

Overall I think the future is brighter than darker

There are plenty of young and experienced but still relatively young good players on that team.

Reape, the full back line, Durkan, Ruane Flynn, Conroy, Carr, Carney, O'Donoghue.

And the likes of Diarmuid O'Connor has still loads to give.

I think Loftus should be an impact sub in the forwards, I think he could make a better contribution there than as a starter.

Even though we have seen little of Cillian this year I think if fit he should be a started next year.

Aiden O'Shea at FF was not the revelation some thought it might be, but I think he could be very valuable as an impact sub next year.

I'd say it's the end of the road for Kevin McLaughlin and Jason Doherty, but they have had great inter county careers.

I don't think Eoghan McLaughlin nor O' Hora really have what it takes to be consistently dependable at this level.

They really need to get the half back line sorted, that is the weak link.

Other than Durkan neither of the other two in that line full one with confidence.

I was really disappointed the way they came out in the second half and were overrun, it was exactly the same as last year, but I think we had more excuses for it last year.

There was a time when Mayo could stick with Dublin for the bones of 80 minutes (2016 and 2017 finals jump to mind) , but why not today?

I still think the 2024 championship will be wide open.

There were a lot of familiar names from the six in a row on that Dublin team today,vso where is there production line gone ?

Kerry are very reliant on Clifford and I think can be exposed elsewhere.

Galway will flatter to deceive.

And there really is nothing coming from the north capable of playing enough football to actually win an All Ireland.

So let's look forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Such delusion. Also, it’s only two years since Tyrone beat Mayo in an All Ireland final, who played enough football that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Reminded me of the 2019 semi final v Dublin, doing alright 1st half then contest ended at the start of the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah, and that was a Mayo team riddled with injuries all season.

This year they have been relatively healthy but the outcome was exactly the same.

I didn't see such a collapse coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The writing was on the wall after the cork defeat. I was shocked we beat Galway as we were sitting ducks and needed a decent team to beat us. This was also our third game in three weeks and were out of gas for the second half. Ruane, Coen and Carney who play in central positions did very little today, add in OHara and EML miss, there is no way you will beat top teams with so many off performance but I now think Ruane, Coen, OHara, EML are just ordinary footballers so this is our level - hard to know but at the end of the day we got what we deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

All of the above. If we’d scored the the open goal and had the disallowed goal been given it would have done little to change the result in my view. We didn’t have the energy to capitalise on those if they had gone our way so it would have only put a gloss on the margin. Dublin backing off on our kickouts in the second half made the difference, we had to run the ball and that along with the turnovers they allowed them to counter and kill us off very easily. The turnovers and the simplicity with which they were executed I’d put down to the fatigue of 3 games in 3 weeks, which was our own doing.

Losing to Cork came back to bite badly today, but that’s a game Cork deserved to win so we can’t have any arguments about that, or the result today.

On the Galway forum ?

Not me anyways

Even though it was game involving both teams I wouldn’t stoop that low.

Never mind if my own team wasn’t involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

You would think so, until that team is beaten by another Connacht team in a more serious competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

We blew any chance we had with the collapse in limerick,you can't struggle so much against the likes of Roscommon Louth and cork and expect to be all Ireland contenders .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

We’re going no where as long as we continue not to kick the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I thought our tackling was poor again. I'm not seeing much of Buckley influence this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Although Mayo had a poor second half, that disallowed goal and missed open goal had a huge bearing on the outcome of the game, I don’t think the score at the end truly reflected the course of the game itself. Disappointing as a Dublin fan, didn’t want to go there for a match like that, saw some **** behaviour by Dublin fans too. Kerry to win overall. Would genuinely be content with an upset by Monaghan and would love to see Derry beat Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Well done to dublin. They made hay when their chance arose. A few things fell their way at the right times and allowed them to sit back and counter and they seen it out very well.

I feel the sideline didnt help our cause. Oshea shouldnt have been taken off for starters, he was our only outlet for a longer kickout and he was actually winning ball in the air inside. Instead of passing back and over, we should have tried a few earlier balls into him when it was 1 on 1 - like dublin did for their first goal. We were too catious in general in this regard and maybe seemed a bit spooked by the fear of doing the wrong thing.

In the 2nd half we just couldnt win a ball around the middle and this gave the dublin attack a platform to pull away. Taking him off was helping their cause.

Flynn very unlucky with the goal chance, as was mcloughlin to be fair to him, while the second dublin goal was never happening but for a rookie mistake from a teenager. That is a full 9 point swing so the scoreline is going to be a bit skewed, but dublin are better than we are this year either way.

We have lost keegan and mullin and that was evident yesterday, while oconnor has probably been robbed of what would have been his peak years as a footballer. Meanwhile dublin can get mannion and mccaffrey back, that difference was noticeable yesterday. Can anyone see mullin going had he been from dublin? I cant personally.

As for galway lads commenting, pretty sad in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Dublin drew with roscommon, they are all ireland contenders...

We hammered kerry, they are all ireland contenders...

The group stages brought a different dynamic to things. What was clear was when dublin and kerry had a good rest period, while their opponents had to play every week, they both doled out good hidings in games that were supposed to be close.

They probably need to put another weeks break in before the quarter finals. Frankly, how they didnt think of that beforehand is a bit depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

🤣🤣🤣 it'll be 2 cricket scores in the semis ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

20mins without scoring in the previous 3 games and scoring 3 points in the 2nd half is not going to win you games against the serious teams in the heat of the championship.

But it's only 1 year of mcstay management so let's how he approaches year 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Jesus but some Dublin fans are obsessed with Aidan o'Shea. The fella behind me did nothing but roar at him all game, I nearly had to put my hood up with the spit flying out of his mouth. Thought he was going to have a heart attack. And small children with him.

Very disappointing outcome yesterday. Thought we were very good first half, particularly the inside forwards. Never got going at all second half.

What a player James McCarthy is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Disappointing yesterday but the damage was done against Cork

Lots to digest, no midfield is the main issue IMO, no one to catch a ball in the middle of the field, I've been saying all year that Matthew Ruane isn't playing well, he just doesn't seem to have the dog in him when things get tough. Maybe the good year was the anomaly? Hes never really been brilliant for Breaffy either. Maybe theres a spot for him in the half forwards but he shouldn't be midfield for a serious team. A lot resting on Tuohy fulfilling his potential.

O'Hora, great club player where heart is a bigger ingredient but when hes come up against proper intercounty players he has been roasted time and again.

McLaughlin, not a footballer but I think there is a role for him in the team, other than the miss yesterday he did ok when he wasn't tasked with marking someone

Carney needs to improve, he did finally show some heart towards the end yesterday when others had given up

Flynn was first class in attitude, he really has matured and took the fight to Dublin to the end

Management need to work on a better plan for using what we have

Should also say that Dublin were excellent yesterday, I thought McCarthy should have been MOTM, he was class, Mannion and Costello both excellent as well. I'd have them as favourites

I'm definitely on the more pessimistic side of things. I think year 1 is the year for a new management team to really make an impact.

The lack of fight in the second half is a huge concern for me. I don't mind losing to a better team, which we did, but the manner of that performance was shocking. The sign of good management imo is that when a team is bettered, they still never give up... I think a lot of players gave up yesterday.

When Thomas O'Se is saying how refreshing it is to have such an honest and open manager as McStay and that he's brilliant for the game... Maybe it's time to be concerned.

Maybe I'll be less pessimistic in a week or so but there's not a whole pile to be taking from this year for me.

Have been saying the same about Matthew Ruane. He hasn't been playing well since 2021, but you're nearly not allowed say it. The amount of people shocked he was dropped for the Galway game - that was the correct decision and he should have been left off yesterday too but there are no other options. He's not good enough in midfield at this level, can't even field a ball at all. Maybe HF, but even then idk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

Kerry person here. Mayo play a running game I assume because there isn’t enough skilled footballers in the county. Surely there are guys not on the panel who can kick a ball? Aidan o Shea created scores yesterday when the ball was kicked to him, he can’t play a running game. Ryan O Donoghue is the only real kicker on that team now that Cillian is only a bit part player. Maclaughlin for example isn’t the first cousin of a footballer, he would struggle to get on some club teams down here. He’s a phenomenal athlete but it surely has to click at some stage with a Mayo management that they have to have options of both running the ball and kicking the ball. It’s so easy for teams now to set up blanket against running teams.

Mayo have the guts of a team that can win an All Ireland. Maybe do like Kerry did bringing in Tally as a defensive coach and bring in a Kerry coach as a kicking/forwards coach. Otherwise it will be like Groundhog Day again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I could see it coming. Mayo as a team are a shadow of the teams pre 2020. You can't replace generational players like Keegan, Higgins, Boyle, Barrett,Harrison , Moran etc. and improve. That group from 2013 to 2020 really put it to Dublin but ultimately fell short. It's extremely unrealistic to expect this group to compete with a Dublin who are not many precentage points off their best. Ruane, Cohen, Loftus,O'Hora are not good enough for Croke Park. There are young lads that may improve to the level required but Mayos All Ireland challenges are over now for a while I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Blew top spot in limerick no doubt but as for All-Ireland contenders one example would be in 2017 when Mayo lost to Galway in Connacht. Needed extra time to beat both Cork and Derry (both Div 2 teams at the time) and needed replays to overcome Roscommon and Kerry.

All of that probably should have pointed to a comfortable win for a stronger Dublin than they currently are but only won by 1 point in contest that swung with a moment madness from Donal Vaughan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I've been critical of McLaughlin in the past but in the first half at least, he was showing for short kickouts when not many others were.

If we don't have a ball-winning MF (and unless Tuohy/Carney/Irwin come on, I don't think we will), we need to develop options for kickouts (e.g. like a long kick over the press to AOS in the 1st half) or we're going nowehere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

McCarthy dropped two short and had a shocking wide in the first half.

It was virtually impossible to kick into the canal end, the wind was unmanageable, see RODs free in the second half. McCarthy moved some amount of ball and all in the right direction

My thoughts overall could be summed up with: could see it coming. The championship was a bust once we lost to Cork and the Galway win papered over a lot of cracks - we were very lucky to win that game against a Galway team that were half in A&E and a lot of the issues we had in that game were waiting to be ruthlessly exploited.

We have very serious problems in midfield and have had for a couple of years. Tyrone exposed it in 2021 and little has been done to come up with some sort of strategy. It was being consistently exposed again all this year - beaten comprehensively around the middle by Roscommon and Cork even before yesterday. And then we were physically bullied badly around that area by the Dubs. I don't know what the answer is but, imo, we need a change in personnel there. We need an out and out fielder, not just someone with an engine. We're also lacking players with the smarts of a Jason Doherty or Kevin McLoughlin, who know when to wait and watch for the breaking ball. Instead we have three fellas jumping up for the same ball and none of them catching it and it eventually falling into opposition hands. No sense or cuteness.

Very naive in defence too and suffering for the lack of a proper number 6 to keep things defensively stable. We need to sort out this position once and for all and stop trying to force square pegs into round holes.

We also have too many of the same type of players - athletic types who actually lack a lot of the basic skills. Some of the handling was shocking, not to mention the shooting.

Some of the subs were strange too - O'Hora needed to be hooked sooner and there is no reason why Hession can't start games. Made no sense to take O'Shea off - he was winning ball and once he came off, the attack lost a focal point, made the whole thing even more aimless.

The heads dropped completely once the second goal went in and I'm sorry to say but it was very reminiscent of Mayo teams in the 00s, as opposed to the 2010s.

Generally speaking on the year - it was great to win the league obviously, but I'm not overly optimistic about winning an AI any time in the near future. We have a lot of issues to sort out and I'm not fully convinced some of these younger players are the answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement