Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Deserved win for Breaffy by the sounds of it. If Knockmore get knocked out, I'd like to see Breaffy winning it

Was at the Knockmore game yesterday evening, rotten evening but it looked like it would be a cakewalk at HT as we largely dominated the 1st half. Charlestown flew out of the blocks in the 2nd half, won all the breaks and had it back to a point. Knockmore's big names saw us over the line though, Kevin mc, Orme, Darren Mc and in particular Shane Mc who I'd have as motm - when there was just one in it (either 8-7 or 9-8) and having lost a couple of our own kickouts, he called a kickout right in the middle, won it against 2 Charlestown men and we scored from the next play, huge moment I thought.

Two local derbies now for the SFs - I presume our game will be on in Crossmolina. Interesting that both semi finalists are from the same 2 groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Wasn’t expecting that from Breaffy, some turn up for the books. Hard to believe that Ballintubber would let a four point lead slip with two minutes left. Above all teams you’d expect them to close it out.

Leaves two weeks until the North Mayo El Classico, it’ll be a long winter for the losers

The Knockmore women are looking very impressive this year, gave Hollymount a right pasting at the weekend. Last years county champions out. Knockmore v Kilmovee & Westport v Carnacon in the semi finals

Big weekend in the club championship with the semi finals in the mens and finals in the womens.

Will be at the Knockmore v Westport game on Saturday in Bekan, I believe the league final between these two was a cracker so hopefully this will be the same. It's mad how much the championship has opened up since Carnacon's run was ended in 2021. The LGFA scheduling is sh*te enough though, the whole championship being run off in 4 weeks is madness.

Knockmore v Ballina on Sunday in Crossmolina brings back memories of big games there in the 90s. This will be extremely tight, Ballina probably have more athleticism around the middle and maybe the best individual in Callinan but I think Knockmore have more forwards that can be relied on to score and that might just shade it for us. I'd expect the winners to go on and win the final

Castlebar v Breaffy in the other SF will probably be tight enough, likely to be low scoring though you'd imagine. I'd like to see Breaffy win it but I think Castlebar will probably sneak it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

idiotic stuff looking from the outside. It has a hint of McStay version 1!! Roscommon ladies also in a bit of bother.

Roscommon players seek apology for former manager Ollie Lennon amid removal row | Independent.ie

The LGFA appears to be constantly shooting itself in the foot for whatever reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

On my way back from ballina game, not one that will live long in the memory. Seems to be their modus operandi, soak up pressure on the first half then come out and win it in the second. Surely a top side will catch them out with that strategy, not sure breaffy are that side though. If knockmore had any hit of finesse in attack they would surely have gone in at half time with a decent lead, they butchered one particular golden goal chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Do you think Evan Regan should be brought back into the Mayo panel?. listening on Midwest today,the said he's only 30 and seems to be one of the better forwards in this year's somewhat poor senior championship.

• Advertisement

He certainly did the business on the frees yesterday but I guess when they are recruiting 'squad players' managers prefer young lads who might develop into something special rather than old stagers who are almost certainly as good as they are going to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This conversation, or something like it, comes up nearly ever year in fairness. Very rarely do the top scorers in club football shine similarly at inter County level.

Maybe we're doing something wrong in developing these players but maybe it's just a case that club football is where they excel.

I do think we are missing a trick somewhere along the line though. My memory of Regan for Mayo isn't great but the two things that jump out were ball winning ability and decision making.

You could argue that 1-on-1 ball winning isn't needed as much as it was given that ball retention is more like basketball these days. On the other hand, decision making has gotten more important.

Maybe he could do a job at CB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I completely agree with your point on decision making. And its importance. But maybe in Evan Regan's case, that has improved. As players get older, most of them do get that little bit wiser with experience, and are that bit more calm on the ball. I havent seem him play in years. Just a couple of clips on youtube from the club match highlights. He also seems like he can take distance shots with what seems to be a good conversion rate.

I can't believe he is only 30. If asked, I would have him mid-30s and past intercounty. I don't mean those comments in any negative way as to his playing ability. I just mean that it seems he was around the scene ages ago. Also, is he still part of the back-room team. He was team nutritionist. If he was to throw on t he green and red jersey again, it would be fairly unique I'd say to have someone play for a county team, finish playing and join the back-room team, and then subsequently play again. But I'd be all for him to get another few chances if he's up for it himself. With Cillian on a downward slope, Kevin Mc gone and we don't know Tommy C will ever make a proper recovery from that injury, we are not overly blessed with score getters.

Was at the match in Crossmolina yesterday, it was a very hard watch, as boring a game as you'll ever see.

Ballina were deserved winners though, they dominated for long periods around the middle. Even at that, we probably had more scoring chances in the 1st half and should have been more than a point up at HT. Ballina started the 2nd half very well and again dominated the middle for the first ~20 mins. We still managed to get back level by ~ 55mins and it was all to play for but Ballina managed to stay ahead and won handy enough in the end.

Ballina back into another final and they'll be favourites for that. Breaffy wouldn't be massively worried by what they saw yesterday though.

For anyone looking for potential Mayo players, there weren't many really standing out - Timlin played v well at FB and is worth a look for the county IMO while D McHale was probably the best forward on show (although that's not saying a huge amount); Thornton & Feeny best for Ballina I thought. Conor McStay came into it more in the last 10 mins when we were chasing the game and the space opened up a bit. Regan is a v good club players but not at the level required for county considering his age.

Was at the ladies final in Bekan on Saturday, this was a much more entertaining game and we were delighted to win a 2nd title in 3 years. We dominated the 1st half (despite what seemed like a very harsh sinbinning) and went in 9 up but fair play to Westport, they really put it up to us in the 2nd half and made us work all the way to the end to win by 2. We put some bad wides in the 2nd half and if we're to do anything in Connacht, we'd need to improve there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Going off memory here so open to correction but Evan Regan wasn't dropped from the panel,he officially retired and then joined the backroom team as a nutritionist.

He was very unlucky with injuries when playing for Mayo and it just never really happened for him.He wasn't afraid to shoot low % shots and often missed.Maybe that bit less time and space between club and intercounty standard was the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

definitely not. fool me once. that would be a major step in the wrong direction

• Advertisement

Kevin McLoughlin has joined the Sligo coaching set-up as a forward coach apparently. Only going from the Ah Ref podcast.

Will he take a few Knockmore forwards with him? 😬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

What do you mean by "fool me once". Are you saying that it was a mistake to have Evan Regan on the Mayo team in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

yea, i think so. too light, too injury prone, too trigger happy. lost us a game against galway to boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Best of luck to Breaffy at the weekend, always liked those lads, lets hope they can finally do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That was not a great advertisement for the club championship

Congrats to Ballina.

Senior football is absolutely diabolical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

St Brigid’s of Ros will absolutely crush Ballina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

That was absolutely dire. Mayo club football, and by extension the Mayo intercounty team, is in a bad place.

Not alone were the tactics devoid of any ambition, but the lack of skill, particularly in shooting, was very worrying.

I can't see Mayo being a threat for the foreseeable future tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

That had to be one of the worst Finals in recent history.Gaelic football has been destroyed,from a game where you had to win your own personal battles in pretty much set positions 20 years ago to a bastardised version of Basketball today,where you often have 26 players inside the 45 while one team attack.

There were plenty of poor games in the past as well,but at least there were direct contests for high balls between the 4 midfielders,real tussles between respective full backs and full forwards and ever man had to fight to get out in front to win their own ball.

Some of the shooting in Co Final was truly shocking.GAA has become a game for fitness winning out over skill.😢😔

There was times when I found myself reading the program just to pass thr time during the match. And I normally get fairly caught up in a match.

You've summed it up very well there, I would add that there isn't even "a big tackle" to get the crowd going these days as players are so conscious of a black card.

New rules are needed very fast or they'll see gates reduce dramatically.

Wasn't at it but it sounded like a brutal game, Ballina won't care too much I guess; disappointing for Breaffy not to get over the line again, hard to see them making it at this stage. Ballina will need to show a good bit more if they're to make progress in Connacht, I think it's London first followed by Galway (Moycullen/Corofin) in a SF and then you'd fancy Brigids to come out on the other side of the draw.

Overall, it's been very poor fare this year in the senior championship. Getting more use out of the mark is one way teams could get around the packed defences imo but it's rare enough that you see it being used - not that it'd improve the spectacle massively though.

Ballina-Fulham game Saturday week a 6 in castlebar. What kind of crowd will that get? Why not play it in the Stephenites? Do they play all provincial club games in mchale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Connacht GAA brought in a rule a few years ago that County champions can't play in their own venues in the Connacht championship.

• Scathing article from brolly on Sunday in the independent about the county final. Tries to come across as an honorary mayo man (with his usual name dropping) wishing them the best but we all know otherwise and we can expect his usual article in a few months trying to stir things up in the mayo camp.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-the-game-we-played-was-about-entertainment-but-mayo-snoozefest-might-just-be-the-final-straw/a483147473.html

• Advertisement

As soon as that game happened I knew Brolly would be delighted.Its all clicks and publicity for him.

The reason for his comical,obsessive hatred of Mayo GAA is not a secret and most in Mayo know it,yet most of the rest of country don't know it.Any time it's brought up to him on twitter he immediately blocks the person.

He's a coward and a bully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

Explain it on here. He won’t be able to shut down here. Just don’t name him. He is such a compulsive name dropping liar. His profession explains a lot. They will do or say anything for a bit of judas silver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

a very successful coward and bully unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why are people here even reading what he has to say when it comes to Mayo.

I thought we were beyond that at this stage.

Didn't read past the opening of the article as it is paywalled, but was there anything in it that hadn't already been said?

He's an attention seeker but that game amd the Senior Championship needed plenty of attention. The more the better imo, it might lead to a quicker change of the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

This. Not sure why anyone reads anything that clown has to say about Mayo. He’s got his agenda about the fact that he married someone who was entirely incompetent at the logistics role but couldn’t handle the criticism of her ineptitude. He needs to accept she should never have been appointed to the role in the first instance, and no amount of slagging off the players that were involved in the team at the time will improve her inability to organise relatively simple tasks to the standard required.

This should automatically pop up any time Brolly starts his vitriolic Mayo talk.

Everybody in Mayo knows the craic,a lot outside the county don't. I'm surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often. He blocks anyone on twitter who says it to him.

It's pathetic.

Well Ballina somehow made it past the mighty Fulham this evening. Semi v Corofin apparently on Saturday at 2 in Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

good job it wasn't breaffy .... 😉 i keep thinking of jimmy sloyan in a Claremorris pub over the last few weeks and how he must be thinking 🤐

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 StatsAndSolos

Can I please ask the good people of the favourite county of the @Statsansolos account how many posts you need on this place to be able to post links?

Walked into a "at least Fulham managed five points" over the weekend.

Think it's one more than Breaffy manged against Ballina, but not sure. Happy to post a link for you if needed.

If that's the number then hopefully I've made it with this thank you!

That got it done - thank you Sir

How do we see things going tomorrow? Bookies seem fairly solidly behind Corofin...

• Advertisement

Game is on RTE at the moment in a windy Pearse Stadium.

What a brilliant location for a game.

Stepenites apparently chose to play against the breeze in the first half, presumably hoping to pull their usual come from behind act...

They are not eating into the Coorfin lead with the wind at their backs.

10 minutes into 2nd half and still 6 down

And back to 6 again😐️

• Advertisement
Advertisement