Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

Well let's wait until we play a competitive match or two this year, but I would have similar fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We came flying out of the blocks last year but had shot our bolt by the time championship came around. It will be interesting to see how management approach this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The shocking quality of this year's club championship and the defensive tactics adapted by the club managers is not helping the development of decent forwards or bringing any decent talent through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭MacDanger

TBF, that's exactly the kind of defensive tactics those forwards will face in the county game; it's up to the coaches (club & county) to implement systems/plays to counteract those tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Ehhh? No decent talent through? Were we watching the same Championship?

The quality/entertainment of the football was fairly poor at times (a national problem rather than just a local one) and the overall strength of Mayo clubs versus their Connacht/national competition can potentially be questioned (a fairly nuanced debate - especially given a few fairly big shocks in the Mayo Championships.... not sure many people predicted anyone but Cill Chomain touching the Junior Championship this year or Breaffy managing the superb run they put together in Senior) but in terms of exciting young talent coming through I'd have said it was a pretty exceptional year.

Diarmuid Duffy, Niall and Dara Hurley, John MacMonagle, James Mahedy, Ronan Clarke, Paul Gilmore and Luke Feeney from the recent All Ireland Final minor side all made big exciting first steps on the senior stage. I'd be shocked if at least three of those don't end up being 1st choice county regulars within 2 or 3 years (I personally believe Diarmuid and Niall would be adding something to the panel already but when you see the likes of Rock retiring at 31 or the abuse Dillon/O'Connor took playing Senior so young probably no harm to give them a bit longer with the 20s before throwing them in at the deep end). Throw in lads like Sam Callinan and Bob Tuohy (easy to forget they were still u20 last year given their exposure to senior ball) or Donnacha McHugh (u20 the year before) pushing on to new levels and others from last years 20s like Fenton Kelly, Seán Morahan, Tom O'Flaherty, Conal Dawson or Jack Fallon putting in solid displays to build on their existing reputations and it was a pretty great year for young talent.

All sorts of problems to be tackled this year (mostly revolving around our tactics and offensive shape, structure and execution - where you'd hope Joe Canney can make a difference) but not sure I'd count "bringing any decent talent through" anywhere among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, there's a lot of negativity; but I am very optimistic from McStay's first year. People forget very quickly, but Mayo looked down and out in the previous year. Most players didn't look like they had any desire. And there was a raft of retirements of the older stock. There were comments before last year that Mayo football was gone, and it would take many years to build again. Instead, a couple of months later, they won the league, and played some beautiful football. And got to the quarter final of the championship where they were beaten by the eventual winners. But all that sticks in peoples minds is a bad second half against Dublin, and that Aidan O'Shea shouldn't have taken a free at the end of one of the Cork match. But overall it was a promising enough year in terms of developing new players, and as TsuDhoNimh, there should be many more coming through from successful underage teams (that is of course if they have the desire and committment for intercounty football).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Davel32

Jeez. I'm not sure it's just the second half of the Dublin match that I'm left with from last year for us. While it was great to give Kerry a thumping twice, and get one back on Tyrone, I don't think I'll forget the following.

Getting outclassed by a fitter, stronger and hungrier Roscommon, or clinging on by our fingertips to a one point win against Louth, getting absolutely blitzed by Cork for 1-6 without reply, or somehow scraping by an understrength Galway, who I think to be honest, have some sort of mental scars when it comes to beating us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’ll be happy if we win Connacht tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Biggest problems for me in 2023 was the team struggling to break teams down when given possession, but most worryingly being totally incapable of stopping opposition teams building up a flurry of scores when put under pressure.

Foul, go down ,start a fight , anything..... to halt the oppositions purple patch..

T Conroy & R O Donoghue next to go to another level this season if Mayo are to have any say this year.

The rest of the forward line simply don't offer enough atm, while the midfield options currently lack the nous and horse-power of the 2012-2017 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No real expectations for this year! Last year started good and ended weak. The good start was always tempered with a lot of caution for me, as we were clearly ahead on training. Going into 2024 with that same feeling of caution, will we see another year of failed attempts to be solid defensively.

• Advertisement

Has McStay already lost the plot before a balls thrown in ?

That was a humiliating defeat against Dublin last year, and it re-enforced just how far we are off both them and Kerry in the heat of championship season .

Presume the Roscommon defeat, Cork collapse , Louth struggle was just a mirage last season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

On one hand I get it, he's hardly going to launch the season saying 'we're sh1te and have no hope'.

Part of me thinks McStay is no fool and must know how far we were off last year. And yet they rolled from game to game in bad form and very little seemed to have been done to correct what went wrong the previous time out. There seems to be no solution to the meltdowns that happened going back to Horans last days. The whole thing seems to be based on crossing fingers and hoping we have one of those days when everything clicks, on the right day.

I try not to be too negative and cant wait for it all to kick off, fingers crossed he's got something up his sleeve.

For the record i'm hopeful of a Connacht title and a competitive showing in a All -Ireland semi appearance.

So far this team has been comfortably beaten in the last 2 QF outings against Dublin & Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭HBC08

Mayo were a total write off with injuries in 22,they won the league in 23 but went off the boil later in the championship, had injuries and couldnt replace the two best and most influential backs leaving in Leeroy and Mullin.

If Mayo can stay injury free they will be there or thereabouts.

Reape/Hennelly

Sam Callinan David McBrien Enda Hession

Paddy Durcan Stephen Coen Eoghan McLaughlin

Matty Ruane Diarmuid O Connor

Jack Carney Jordan Flynn Ryan O Donoghue

Aidan O Shea Cillian O Connor Tommy Conroy

Subs

Reape/Hennelly

Jack Coyne

Padraig O Hora

Bob Touhy

Donnacha Mchugh

Conor Loftus

Darren McHale

Paul Towey

James Carr

That team can beat any team in Ireland on their day,a bit of consistency and you never know what could happen.

Im afraid we're long since past the days of O' Shea and O'Connor inside together. Both can play a role but not starting together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Westernview

Don't see why you think he has lost the plot. It's factually correct that we were in 5 national finals in that time. We have been operating at a certain standard even if we are struggling against the big 2. He will be well aware of the disappointing performances as well. Noting wrong with starting the year with a positive message.

I agree. Ideally both should be strong bench options at this stage.

Yes a connacht title and significant progression of younger players in year 2 of the McStay term should be the minimum goal this year.

A fit Cillian O Connor walks into any team in the country,what are you on about?

A minority of Mayo fans just want to navel gaze,kick the dirt and moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Unfortunately that team doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence.

Goalkeeper and full back line are fine, that FB line a young even though Hession has plenty of big game experience, and one would hope that they continue to improve in 2024.

Not excited about McLaughlin, good athlete but as we saw last year some of his footballing decisions can be frustrating to watch.

Coen is solid enough but also can be unspectacular.

At midfield I think we all know that Ruane needs to find whatever he had in August 2021 if that is even possible.

Diarmuid is as solid as a rock, but he's not getting any younger and has loads of miles on the clock.

The HF looks good, I think Flynn has the potential to be a generational player for Mayo.

Aiden O'Shea will not work in the full forward line against really good teams.

Unfortunately he is an impact sub at this stage, but he can be a really brilliant impact sub.

Hopefully Conroy gets back to his best after the injury and that Cillian has another few consistent years in him.

So we need

2 backs

1 midfield

1 forward.

And throw in a few subs too because I don't think O'Hora or Loftus have what it really takes either.

I think we are way behind the big guns, the plan should be to not get further behind.

As for who would replace the players I have called out here, I'm sorry I can't answer that, I don't live in Mayo so have no idea of who coming through may be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'll be disgusted if we win Connacht. All them young bucks who were named earlier should be given a run out in that championship and treat it with the respect it deserves at this stage. Glorified FBD

I don't think winning connacht and giving a run out to young players is mutually exclusive. I don't think a lot was achieved in player development last year by going the less direct route. It may not be what it was but connacht is still a direct knockout competition and winning a first connacht medal would surely mean a lot more to a young player than any fbd.

• Advertisement

Interesting selection.

As you mentioned, injuries will be key. If we can keep the likes of McBrien, Hession, Durcan and O'Conner fully fit (all have had numerous niggles/serious injuries in recent years hampering them) it'd be a huge boost.

Throw in defensive options with Coyne/Brickenden (hopefully can take another step up from his fine performances last year pre injury)/O'Donoghue (assuming he can get back to form after his travels)/McHugh/POH (Coyne and McHugh would be very close to my starting 15 but with horses for courses depending on what we're up against and how lads are showing in training) and gives us lots of interesting options back there. Any of Callinan/McBrien/Hession/Durcan can fill that 6 role they were trying last year bringing pace and 1v1 defensive strength we lacked a bit last year (outside of the Kerry game where Sam played the role) so wouldn't be worried if we end up sticking with the same +1 setup at the back.

For all the giving out done around our midfield last year it's starting to look pretty solid on paper now around that middle third.

Tuohy has been fantastic for Mitchell's this year, that beaut of a left foot carried them through a few games. Starting to look and carry himself more and more like a young Aido. Carney similarly for Kilmeena carried them through a few games. He's starting to look like the leader and driving force we all hoped he might become. Hopefully a huge year ahead of him where he can take another step or two forward.

We all know what O'Conner, Flynn and Ruane can bring to the table, so fingers crossed they can get near their best again (hopefully the new psychologist can hit the right note with Matty and get him back to full confidence. Frequent hassles from the sideline can't be helping there, too often we seem to forget the 'support' part of supporters). McHugh has played some great games around the middle for Castlebar too, so a new option to add to the mix there, along with young Conor Reid (blew me away in the Crossmolina game this year. Coming off the bench, half injured, to completely dominate midfield and swing the game) showing decently well in some recent hammerings in Sigerson/challenge game (hard to judge an individual while the team is getting hammered, so caveats around those showings).

Up top, I've been crying out for Evan to be back in the panel for years so delighted to see him involved. Fingers crossed it's more than just making up training numbers and he's actively involved throughout the year. Has turned into a devilishly clever and dangerous forward, worthy of a spot on any panel in the country, IMHO. Start him or bring him off the bench and he'll score/earn scores.

RO'D, Conroy, O'Shea, CO'C, Regan, (K)Quinn, McHale, Carr & Towey is a lot of potential fire power, though potentially a little short on pace outside of Tommy and James. Young Darragh Reilly looked a ball of pace and energy in the challenge game so might be a nice addition to the mix. We're likely only going to see a maximum of 3 of these 'attacking' lads out at any given time (including O'Shea in that. He got breached too often last year defensively. I'd be very worried continuing to bring him back on the press.... tough thing to say given he was so great at turnovers with those long paws even in recent years... and just lock him on the edge of the opposition square making it a 13/13 game when using him) given we'd have a few of the grafters like Carney/Flynn/O'Conner/Tuohy pushed into the HF line too.

No big gaps in the panel and plenty of options all over. As with every team in the country we need our big players to perform if we're going to match the Dublin/Kerry/Galway/Derry (and potentially /Donegal depending how well Jimmy's new setup ends up working when others catch their fitness levels. We won't know for sure until May/June). We're more fortunate than most in the potential game winners and if we keep the key lads fit in with a decent shout of challenging anybody in the country on our day.

With the very young panel and quality of younger lads yet to come through for the next 6 or 7 years I'd consider this the low point for the next decade rather than the 'make or break' some make it out to be. I wouldn't expect us to win it this year.... but I wouldn't be shocked if we did either. Neither Kerry or Dublin are anywhere close to the best teams of the last 20 years. It's wide open again for anyone that can get their setup and their heads right for the year.

Thanks for the well thought out post and I'd agree with nearly all of that.

Just a quick heads up,Evan Regan is not back involved with the squad.McStay confirmed this on the Mayo News pod,it was just another made up story by the Connaught.

I no longer like you and hope you bite your tongue next time you eat Cornflakes for that horrid news!

Gutted. I hadn't noticed that had come from the CT to begin with. Should have known better. (Out of touch with everything from the press conference yesterday too so a lot of catching up to do)

Have to imagine it's Evan himself unable/unwilling to commit (understandable when he's working with the likes of UFC/professional rugby teams). Can't imagine there's a manager out there that wouldn't be picking up the phone to try and get him involved.... or just asking him when he's the room for nutritionist work.

So anyone who doesnt fully agree with your opinion is a naval gazing, non-supporter? Righto...

I agree with you completely that a fully match fit, injury free version of Cillian like we saw in 2020 is good enough for almost any team. We have seen that version once in what, 6 years? He will be 32 by the time championship gets going. I hope you're right but wont hold my breath.

Regardless, starting him and o'Shea as inside forwards against any serious team would be suicide. You can carry the lack of mobility of one in the modern game, but not both.

Cillian has only played well once in 6 years? Half his career?!

Ah listen,if that's your level I'll leave ya to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

You shouldn't be disgusted as winning Connacht makes a team 1st seed in the All Ireland series and whereby you'll avoid Kerry, Dublin and the Ulster champions in that group. Had the FBD that riding on it you wouldn't have Mayo lining out with a 2nd string team v London and Galway with a devolopment panel for this year's FBD.

• Too good for Connaught! That there is the attitude of too many fans and players and is the problem that’s rife.

consistency and momentum is key and it starts with the first game of the championship. Too many times the too good for Connaught attitude prevails and after an early exit we hear the deflection with “arrah it’s not a big deal”, “we didn’t want to or need to win it” and the messy route to the qtrs begin, momentum is lost against the poor teams or one of the big teams have to be faced early on and we know how that turns out.

Nip that arrogant attitude in the but like a good lad, it ain’t doing mayo gaa any favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

19-01-2024 12:21pm

HBC08

Registered Users

A fit Cillian O Connor walks into any team in the country,what are you on about?

A minority of Mayo fans just want to navel gaze,kick the dirt and moan.

Great player in his prime, but he is past it now. Too many injuries, and too much mileage. He might be as fit as he is going to be. But it's no longer good enough for the level of intercounty football.

He has a great footballing brain, but it is not good enough against the big teams, wben you don't have the legs for it. I saw him at the club versus county match over the Christmas, and he is off the pace.

I would really love if, in about 7 months he leaves me with egg on my face, but I really doubt it. But I know the O'Connor family are Mayo GAA to the bone. And Cillian won't go away without a good fight.

Both the men & women playing away in Galway next weekend, you'd think they'd make it a double header

First time in Pearse Stadium at the weekend. Whats the best way to get from the city centre? Id walk myself but will have an older person with me

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

It's a fair walk from the city center and a disaster for traffic. Get there early and park up, be prepared to sit in traffic afterwards or grab the dinner to kill time

Im getting the train from Dublin but will bear it in mind, thanks!

Galway 4/5 Mayo 6/4 draw 13/2

• Advertisement

There are buses that go that route, check online for schedule etc

Team named https://mayogaa.com/2024/01/26/mayo-senior-team-announced/

Probably will be a few changes but a pretty strong team named

Mayo team is as follows:

1. Colm Reape Knockmore
    2. Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis
    3. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen
    4. Rory Brickenden Westport
    5. Paddy Durcan (C) Castlebar Mitchels
    6. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin Westport
    8. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Stephen Coen Hollymount Carramore
    10. Fergal Boland Aghamore
    11. Jack Carney Kilmeena
    12. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Aidan O’Shea Breaffy
    14. Tommy Conroy The Neale
    15. Ryan O’Donoghue Beal and Mhuirthead

Surprised to see Fergal Boland back in, and interested to see how Tuohy does in midfield

Team is out

Some interesting choices, Boland at 10 being the one that stuck out to me.

Wonder how Brickenden will fare at corner, if I recall he was usually a full back.

Coen being moved around again.

I was an advocate for McStay but I’m beginning to think that he is not naive at all but just as stubborn as Horan was . He hasn’t learned a lot from last year based on that selection .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Davel32

Good question. Presume Diarmuid is injured or carrying a knock? No Enda again? Bit worrying for a young fella the amount of time he spends injured, glad there's no Mattie man needs time off / year off. Although I also realise we don't really have many other options for that role.

Anyway, as Lee said in his Rte column, hopefully they've learned something from last year, and aren't going full throttle in January, of course you don't want to be getting beat out the gate either, so it's a tricky one to manage.

Mattie,DOC and Hession injured.

A good strong team when everything taken into account.Im not sure ROD or Tommy will line out,might come on as subs.

Galway missing a few aswell but I'd expect them to win it,they need it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Jack Carney and Jordan Flynn could be one of the best midfield combinations in the country if they were ever played there.

Sam Callinan at 6 is interesting, presume he’ll be playing an orthodox type of 6 role and not whatever the hell they were trying to get Loftus to do last season

Sam played the +1 last year against Kerry so wouldn't be shocked if they used him for that (if not on Sunday at least in some games).

A lot of flexibility between 2, 3, 5, 6 and 9 (Brickenden and EMcL the only ones you'd imagine locked in specific lines). Any of those could easily end up playing an orthodox 6, a man marking role, a zonal tagging role or as a +1 depending on the setup they go for. From the selection I'd personally expect to see Brickenden > Comer, Callinan > Walsh, Durcan/Coen > Heaney and zonal for the rest with McBrien as the +1.... but all sorts of ways they could end up shifting that around in terms of personnel or setup.

Would like to see Eoin O'D get some game time during the league, he was outstanding the day we lost in Newbridge but has barely had a look in since

A solid team if it starts but disappointing to see a lack of new faces, particularly in the forwards. Boland tried before and at best an ok sub option. He lacks the physicality against the top teams.

Encouraging to see Touhy at midfield. Will be interesting to see if he has benefitted from the extra year of conditioning.

I was hoping the manager would have spent the winter looking for new blood and used the league to bed them on

Instead we are back to him selecting more or less his championship team (allowing for the injuries) from minute one of the league. We used to laugh at Roscommon when they started every league on fire under him and then their season slowly petered out as they ran out of steam. Like ours did last year.

Turning back to Fergal Boland and Eoghan McLaughlin isn’t going to bring us on much

I'd tend to agree.

League games are for playing, not necessarily for winning.

Even if Mayo fell to Div 2 it would still keep them in the Sam McGuire series this year.

They only got one chance to try players in the FBD, so now they should be doing that in the league.

Then again maybe they are targeting certain games like teams often do during the league.

Put out a strong team v Galway to start the season because you know you might be meeting them soon again in Connacht, then experiment in other games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement