Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Club level mistake by Brickenden.

Could understand taking it on early doors but kicking it away with 1 minute to go was hard to fathom.

Maybe someone should have shown themselves for a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think that was a mark rather than a free, and I don’t think he’d be known for taking shots.

Disappointing not to get a point from that but there’s positives from that game. Kerry probably let us off the hook in the first half with the number of wides they had. Score line probably flattered us a little in the end, and once we were down to 14 it was always going to be a tall order. We did well to get back level at the end.

We still have Paddy, Mattie and a few others to add to the squad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

No one showed for the pass from what I could tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The inside forward line is a massive worry. O'Shea looks miles off, as does Conroy. Surely its time to mix it up to suss out options for summertime. We saw what this forward line had to offer last year.

That aside, Boland looks like a useful (re)addition. ROD sharp as always. I'm not sure McLaughlin is worth the squeeze as a starter, for the odd goal he has too many shortcomings. Never seen a man to miss at the near post like him, rather than look inside

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Callinan had an unbelievable start to the game, what a player he's going to be. Unfortunately he seemed to gas himself out after the 2nd point. Looked jaded for the rest of the game. Probably should have been subbed off before the second yellow for that reason.

Thought Brickenden had a really good game too, he seems to get a lot of stick whenever he makes a mistake.

A third clean sheet in a row is a big positive.

The form of Ryan and Fergal up front another plus.

Diarmuid looked in great shape for his first game of the year.

No harm done with the defeat.

We're in a decent place for the year ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pretty much my thoughts.

3 games in against Galway and last years two finalists 

2 wins and a one point away defeat

zero goal chances given up now that we have a centre half back and the Loftus experiment is over (surely)

Younger players getting more game time 

No harm done tonight bar McBrien injury. It looked a bad hamstring one to me. He was wearing cycling shorts from the get go too so have a feeling he was wary of such an injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Westernview

Positives.

Callinan starting to take on Keegans mantle

Some nice moves in the second half against a packed defence

Defence solid

ROD and Boland good

Subs bench fairly strong

A lot of players seem to have scope to improve

Negatives

Midfield well beaten

Tommy C out of form

One of the scourges of Mayo football - too much unnecessary soloing is slowing down attacks too much and must be rooted out.

Every forward must be capable of scoring or else they shouldn't be there.

Didn't see what happened McBrien. That's annoying if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Mayo done OK tonight. They'll be happy and I'm sure they have one eye on the championship.

Don't think midfield were beaten at all. Ropey enough start on our kickouts but we were well on top there in the 2nd half.

• Advertisement

We improved in the second half but I didn't think we were well on top. I certainly don't think we have a midfield pairing to compete for primary posession at this stage. Last year we took so many short kickouts in an effort to avoid the issue and the problem persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Should have done everything to stop Clifford getting the ball in the last minute and we might have nicked a point. Probably didn't deserve to eve get a draw tbh. However, he's too accurate and too slick even when not fully fit. Best player I've ever seen in the flesh tbh. But listen. Is what it is.

I thought it was naive alright to leave him 1 on 1. But who knows he might have scored even with 3 on him he's that good.

We don't have a Conor Glass or Brian Fenton but not many teams do. If Flynn and Tuohy/Ruane are wing forward, with McBrien pushing up from the 6 position we've more than enough height there to compete for primary possession.

I don't believe that compensates but we can agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

wing half back as he played tonight is the best place to play him.

You're really arguing over petty semantics at this stage. Callinan was marking Sean O'Shea, so certainly wasn't playing wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wouldn't blame him entirely. No. 11 was looking at him and pointing towards the posts, encouraging him to take on the shot. Should have recycled it and run down the clock, even a draw would have been a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Management should have been all over that. Managing the last 3 minutes. Carefully instructing the players how long left and instructing what to do. This scenario should all be played out several times in training. It would be by the better teams. Poor brickenden was looking around - hadn’t a clue what to do. Did the worst thing possible then. Poor form by the other players that no other players showed for the ball and demanded a pass from him. If that was Dublin, Ciaran Kilkenny would run through walls to shout for the ball from a fulll back trying to offload the ball from a mark. And Clifford would do same. But our guys went hiding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not that worried about the result, Kerry needed that game, they had already lost one at home, and Mayo stuck with them.

Very impressed that once again they didn't allow much of a goal chance.

I'd expect Mayo to beat one of Tyrone, Monaghan or Roscommon which would be plenty to assure Div 1 for next year.

Can Mayo for the rest of the league try and start a front six that doesn't include Aiden O'Shea or Cillian O'Connor?

Do they have enough good or reasonable forwards to try that?

I'd like to see what it's like with O' Shea coming off the bench, what he could do, how opposition would deal with it.

When mcstay took over he said the only place for Aidan was on the edge of the square and that he should stay there. But it's noticeable the last few games that Aidan is drifting out the field and as a result the reason for him being on the field is lost and the forward line loses its shape.

I mentioned before that Paddy Andrews said that every Dublin forward was expected to score regardless of what they contributed besides. Last night 2 of the starting 6 Mayo forwards failed to score and both were taken off. This is the correct approach in my view and it sets a standard. An extension of this logic would be start McHale or Towie instead the next day as they are likely to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I'd imagine one of the main targets for the rest of the league (besides 2 more points) will be trying to play Cillian, Aidan or/and Tommy (potentially Mattie too when we see how he comes back) into a bit of form. They're all in desperate need of something, be it a fluke goal from a shot dropping short, a ball bouncing in off their knee or a POTM performance to try and get a spark going and get a little confidence up.

We could certainly play with any 3 from RO'D/Conroy/McHale/Towey/Carr/Irwin (/Quinn, hopefully he'll be given a chance to show where he's at) for the last 4 games, but I wouldn't expect it and not sure it'd be in our best interests for he year ahead. Cillian needs at least a couple of starts if he's to get anywhere close to where he can get to.

Anyone know what the story is with James Carr?. I heard he picked up another injury a while back, not sure where he is on the road to recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

McStay gave injury updates including Carr after the Dublin game ~2 weeks ago (no idea if the 'another' you mentioned might have been after that). At that point they were looking at Round 4 (Tyrone next week) or Round 5 (Roscommon) as possibilities for James.

The while back I mentioned would have been last year but I heard it was a bad one, would be great to have him back as an option in the forwards.

• Advertisement

Injured his knee in the club championship last September. Don't think it was ACL but had to get some sort of surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's the story with Aiden Orme these days?

It was just watching the Galway v Tyrone game earlier today that reminded me of him.

The ref correctly blew it up with Tyrone in possession inside the Galway 45 and looking to engineer the tying score.

Orme got a lot of stick a few years ago v Galway for taking a low percentage shot in the same circumstances.

Don’t think he’s a part of the panel this year.

I’d agree he was unfairly lambasted for that effort. People have a tendency to be overly critical of lads that take low percentage shots and miss, and yet be critical when people don’t take those same shots. 🤷🏼

I think he left of his own accord but I could be open to correction on that.

That’s what I understood also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Unfortunately I think we are indeed looking for luck to get something going in the forward line because it doesn't look like it's going to come from any style or tactics. Defensively, we have been doing very well. A big improvement on last year but that was an easy win considering we were playing a forward at CB. But I'm at a loss to see any real positives in attack other than the form of RO'D. From what I can see we're trying to kick pass from relatively short range and into a crowded defensive to the likes of AO'S and Tuohy. It ain't working at all, why would it. On the other hand, Kerry were playing long diagonal balls for their forwards to run on to in space.

It would be nice to see signs of something being worked on that might come good for the Championship, but at the moment more questions are being raised than answers for me.

I think it's time to use the remaining league games to see what we can develop up front without AO'S or Cillian starting.

I agree with the contrast between Kerrys long kicking and our ponderous approach. Kerry may have better long kickers but I think the main problem is our obsession with soloing. I see it at underage as well where a player takes that extra unnecessary solo and runs into trouble - either with a delayed kick into the forward line or getting bottled up and overturned.

Aidan drifting out the field is also part of it. The counter attack visibly slows when he gets the ball. I believe if he was replaced by McHale or Towie the attacks would be much slicker. We will never know until its tried though.

Can't say I've noticed the soloing but will keep an eye out for it. Is it not just a byproduct of being a bit too lateral I wonder.

I do think it's time to use the rest of the campaign to see what we can get going without Aidan in there. He only returned 1-3 from play last year... granted, he did have a decent year and made scores for others.... but at this stage, I think it's time to try something new. There's a lot to gain from it and it'll need to be done soon anyway.

I would have hoped McStay might have brought something fresher to the table this year. It seems like we're more or less trying the same stuff over again which we know isn't going to cut the mustard.

Kerry should have had us well beaten by half time, it might not have been a bad thing if that had happened.

The lateral passing is also a thing but the soloing as well. Eoin McLoughlin for example is guilty of it. Makes some great runs but then takes that extra solo when he should release the ball and then he gets dispossessed.

Even if McStay were wedded to the idea of playing Aidan he should have a plan B in the event that he got injured. It's no use leaving it until championship.

If we pick up 2 more points and no doubt we will he will surely have to mix things up a bit.

I've said plenty about EMcL before, I still don't think he's there yet with decision making at the highest level. He's a serious athlete but if they're playing him they should have him tasked when extremely clear and simple instructions imo, almost like set plays.

Another big thing that jumped out (was at an afters of a wedding so wasn't watching as closely as usual) was our lack of killer edge / taking on goal chances.

I think Tommy had an opportunity to go for goal with his first point, Ryan another one after the excellent palmed ball by Aidan. I would really like to see us trying to make them goal chances. Two players who should be instructed to go for goal if given a sniff.

It's unclear if EMcL will ever develop that decision making as he took up the sport fairly late. When he was in close to goal in the first half the better option was to fist it over but he blazed it wide. Not sure what he was trying but an easy point missed.

I remember a few tap overs alright when a goal chance was possible. Usually top teams have forwards that have goal on their mind when they get the ball and only take the point when the goal chance isn't on. That needs to be encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭crusd

The best teams trust their players rather than micro manage every minute. The job of management is to provide a framework and create the environment.

Strongest 15 with everyone available in my opinion.

Positions in defence quite fluid depending on opposition

Reape

Coyne Brick Callinan

Paddy McBrien Hession

DOC Carney Flynn

Boland

Conroy McHale

Carr Rod

A primary ball winner is the missing link. Ruane's form has been off for too long. Touhy - developing but not quite there yet.

Conroy needs a chance to play himself into form but Towey also deserves another couple of chances in the league to stake a claim. Need 4-5 players who can take a score.

O'Shea is really slowing down the play at this stage but has a role as an impact sub down the line. Sadly Cillian is looking well off the pace, but again could play himself back into contention with an injury free run as a shooter of his ability is worth his weight in gold.

McLaughlin is some athlete but the basic skills of a Hession are vastly superior and if he stays fit is the superior option. Coen, good back up to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Not micro manage every minute. But the last 2 minutes of the game on Saturday were crucial. And Mayo blew it. Management should have been able to calm them down and see out the last 2 minutes. Play keep ball to at least get a draw (Kerry didn't seem to have any great appetite to chase the ball down). Or if wanting to show some ambition, at least wait until the last 20 seconds to have a pot shot - so that the game would be over on the re-start.

It's not rocket science.

The league is the time to coach players to make better decisions themselves. Rather than try to prescribe every moment. Brickenden made the wrong decision twice there. First to take the mark and second to shoot. And the players around him failed to show leadership or back him up by making themselves available. Massive coaching opportunities there which if taken could benefit the team more in the long run than having every decision prescribed from the touchline. If the management team make all the decisions players will never make them for themselves and you will have a weaker team. Last year we had a team that mentally wilted many times under pressure. Like they did not have the autonomy to play what was in front of them and had nothing to fall back on.. This has vastly improved this year and by not taking on every decision the management are perhaps giving them space to evolve their on field leadership. I hope so at least.

Not to say in May or June with a championship on the line you dint want management giving guidance. But you don't want it to be a crutch, and in round 3 of the league, with 2 wins already under the belt, give the players the space to learn

• Advertisement

I like Hession but he was very safe on the ball vs Kerry. Didn't try to take a man on or attempt any kick pass forward. Everything was lateral.

At least McLaughlin was trying to be progressive with the ball. He wasn't the only one misplacing passes either.

It's almost as if Hession was returning from a layoff. A bit early to be judging him on his return.

I'd agree with that lineup overall. Forward line a bit light possibly but it's probably the best we have. Carr has a bit of work to do to nail down a sport as he is very inconsistent. Like EMcL he mixes explosive play with the mediocre.

An outside view on Mayo's age profile. Wouldn't agree in Diarmuid's case but the overall point seems to chime with idea of McStay not having too many older players on the field at the same time.

Sure we must have the youngest team/panel in division 1. Aidan, Cillian and O'Hora are the only outfield players in their 30s.

A bit of a bugbear of mine is this recent enough trend of writing "an article" based on a few comments someone made in a podcast. You would have to listen to the podcast to get a proper reflection of what was said.

Including Diarmuid is daft and discussions regarding the roles Aidan and Cillian will play this year is hardly groundbreaking. I think we all know that that's something McStay needs to get right by the Championship.

That's not the point. It's about having the older, slower players on the bench. Despite some good individual play the forward line as a whole is not functioning properly, especially the full foward line. And it will be very difficult to develop an attacking style of play while Aidan is named up front but drifting back the field and pulling the shape of the team with him.

He says the same thing in the podcast. I'll be interested to see the team named for sunday. Hopefully some changes will be made up front.

It’s a cheap clickbait article and the fella making the comments doesn’t sound like he has a clue about what he’s on about.

Aidan has not played well the last two games so by all means we should try something different. Just a bit lazy to put it down to age IMO. Is he any slower now than 2 or 3 years ago?

There are several players older than Aidan around the country still performing to a very high level.

• Advertisement

The older part applies to the need to move in a different direction as much anything. I don't see him evolving with different systems.

But I think but pace wise and stamina wise he is really struggling now to last beyond a half hour and I believe age is a factor there. Even playing inside he is unable to get out in front of his man. Out the field he cannot track a player. There aren't that many older players than Aidan playing to a high level that I can think of. James McCarthy is the same age but is naturally much more athletic and mobile.

Advertisement