Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Players afraid to shoot from distance is across the game and they are drilled with don’t take on low percentage shots. Possession is more important and take the score if low risk of missing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

For me a lot of the reason for players not shooting from distance comes down to the goalkeepers. Not long ago a keeper just lumped it down the middle and hoped midfield won it. Nowadays, especially with the top teams, you have keepers who can quickly send the ball distance and virtually land it on top of a needle from a restart.

Because of how teams defend now, opposition have to commit so many players to attack it leaves a lot of space at the back. A ball dropped into a keepers hands fired into that space and it is often a one on one or two on two with a forward bearing down on goal where you would be lucky to just concede a point. I`m not sayong I agree with players not shooting from distance, I find it as frustrating as everyone else seeing players not doing it when a shot is on, but I can see the reasons why they do not or are now being coached not too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Christ almighty I know Mayo got a couple of handy decisions but that ended up as a free in front of the posts, as bad a call as I’ve seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That was crucial (bad) call in my opinion. The team seemed to go into meltdown after that. And Gough got all excited with the roars of the Galway crowd.

Just on the penalty clip above, it's hard to tell if the ball was over the line or not. But Reape was very lucky not to get pulled for charging. He picked up the ball, and just ran head first into Sean Kelly - almost like a rugby charge. If it was an outfield player, I think it would have been pulled up for a free against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Westernview

Bad call for sure.

It's strange how things went to pieces. Apart from poor ref decisions we made a lot unnecessary fouls. Callinans panicked pull down in particular seemed unnecessary with other defenders still between the Galway player and the goal. Mattie getting stripped of possession when coming out with the ball was very careless and led to a score as well. There was a real absence of a calming on field leader at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

That was a foul on Ruane. And then Kelly gets a free a few seconds later for something lighter. Poor referee decisions aside Mayo's handling of injury time overall was really poor. Looked to me that Reape kicked that ball down on top of Gleeson when he seen him there. But everybody to get caught the wrong side after losing the break was criminal at this stage of the game. Mayo are like a side that are completely over-coached, nothing seems to be off the cuff anymore. The pre-planned O'Shea off for O'Connor is awful at this stage and the context of the match not taken into account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Looking ahead, we've got:

Rossies Cavan at home on 18/19th May

Cavan Rossies away on June BH

Dublin @ neutral venue (maybe the Hyde or Breffni?) on 15/16th June

That first game against the Rossies is crucial and it's always difficult playing a team you've already beaten. They'll feel like they missed a lot of chances in the previous game so I'd say it will be a close, dour game.

Edited to correct the running order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Its Cavan at home first, then away to Roscommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That probably suits us better I think; Cavan are dogged as evidenced by their comeback against Tyrone but without Lynch, you'd expect us to win that one and set us up for a rematch in the Hyde with Roscommon coming off a (presumable) defeat to Dublin just a week earlier.

I don't give us much hope against Dublin tbh, they absolutely hammered us last year in the 2nd half of the QF so I think an improved performance is as much as we can expect based on what we've seen so far

• Advertisement

I didn't realise Ruane was fouled. I'll have to watch that back.

Taking off O'Shea would have been ok if there was a tall physical player available to replace him but there wasn't. Touhy is still too young to contest the kickouts and we badly needed someone to catch a few balls and slow Galway's momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any bets the Dublin game is in the neutral venue Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Where else do you think it would be? Don't get me wrong I don't think its right. But surely Croke Park won't be a surprise to anyone for that fixture????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A few years ago you could certainly make the argument for CP based on expected attendance, but could you in this day and age, what with the glut of games and Mayo's ongoing lack of real ability to be contenders ?

How many season ticket holders need to be catered for ?

Limerick might be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I completely agree with all your points. But am I the only one that's not going to be surprised if its in Croke Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

It will only be in Croke Park if that's where Mayo want it played so I wouldn't be getting too wound up over it.

If we insist on a neutral venue (which we can do) Hyde park would work,we have a great record there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They should offer the Hyde to all the opponents as an option, might be better than McHale Park.

We really do have an incredible record there.

I was first there in 1989,obviously we've played there a lot since then and off the top of my head we've only lost there twice league and championship ,roscommon 2001 and westmeath in a qualifier around the same time (there may be others but I can't remember)

I'd say we've played there between 30 and 40 times in that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

My very first memory of being at a Mayo game was in The Hyde in 1994 against Leitrim in the Connacht final.

It hasn’t always been a happy hunting ground!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

I would be shocked if the Dublin game isn't in Croke Park. They'll churn out the usual guff about attendance (won't be an issue, it will struggle to get 40K) and how Dublin's home ground is Parnell Park, so it's technically a neutral venue etc. etc. while the powers that be in Mayo will roll over and spout about how happy they are to be playing there, but no word about another trek inflicted on their supporters. We're not on our own with this - Meath and Kildare have given up home advantage to them as well. Infuriating (to say the least!) the way everyone just rolls over for them….

• Advertisement

It's only a group game with 3 teams going through. Both teams will probably have already qualified so it's debatable how many Mayo supporters would travel to Dublin.

However having it in Limerick say would give it a whole new dynamic and novelty factor and could lead to a 44,000 full house.

Dublin to Limerick 2hrs 13m all motorway OR train option. Castlebar to Limerick 1hr 55m with motorway from Tuam.

I presumed straight away it would be croke park. Is that what they did last year for the neutral match.

They played Sligo in Breffni last year. But then Sligo would have a small support base.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Mayo management might want to play in Croke Park but if the GAA want to get rid of the idea that Croke Park isn't Dublin's home pitch, then the game shouldn't be held there because Croke Park is Dublin's home pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Limerick would be epic*

*I live in Limerick 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Tullamore could be an option. Not a notion of GAA sending the dubs to Roscommon for a neutral fixture against a Connacht team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

You'd have to be a very cynical person to assume that the chair of the CCCC being the Roscommon Chairperson Brian Carroll would have any impact on the CCCC's choice of neutral venues and increase the odds of seeing the nicely newly redeveloped Hyde getting an attractive game like Mayo vs Dublin.

That'd be me. I'm totally expecting it in the Hyde.

Relatively straight line. Good rail/public transport links. Great new surface to help show off one of their show pieces of the group stage. Lots of upsides for the choice. Wouldn't expect either side to have any issues or objections to it.

Shame they couldn't fork out for a few toliets.

• Advertisement

Then there's no way that they can send Mayo to Tullamore for a fixture against a Leinster team. Mayo management need to be very strong on that too!!! Limerick it is so.

You could say the same for Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's going to be fascinating to see where this game does finally end up. My money is on Pearse Park, Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

There are many areas of the Hyde that are better than Castlebar (superior pitch, lovely new seats), toilets is not one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What if Dublin took the same attitude? Is there a pitch that straddles the Leinster-Connacht border? Athlone the closest I can think of…

Not a hope - the capacity of the ground just wouldn't be up to it. Plus, Mayo fans would probably be parking in Tarmonbarry and the Dubs in Edgeworthstown! 😋😂

You've never seen the queues for the toilets at the back of the stand in Castlebar for even a league game so, it always a nightmare! 😕

I'm really confused here….. I think you need to read the quote I was replying because my response was exactly as to what should happen if Dublin took the same attitude…… And I did suggest Limerick, which is in the neutral province of Munster? 🤷‍♂️

What is the actual criteria for venue selection?. Must it be a neutral province or is that just a preference? I would have thought capacity and similar travel distance for each county was more important.

I'm sticking with Limerick as best option anyway..

Post edited by Westernview on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

that sort of logic should apply, but never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

No published criteria and even with all the uproar over it in recent years (from Super 8's up to last year's new Group Stages) I've never seen them give clear outlines on how they evaluate options. Just a "CCCC will decide".

At underage, distance is viewed as a key factor. In various competitions if it's over a certain distance to an away game a neutral venue will be used instead to lessen the burden. You'd imagine it plays a part in this too. Beyond that, who knows.

Provincial clashes didn't seem to be an issue last year for most of the games with Kerry/Louth in Laois, Galway/Armagh in Leitrim, Tyrone/Westmeath in Cavan, Mayo/Cork in Limerick or Kildare/Roscommon in Offaly.

Gaelic Grounds a solid balance of distance, size, quality and equal distance. Certainly near the top of the list for our game you'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Limerick is probably the most likeliest option if the CCCC do decide that it is a neutral venue. Roscommon and Tullamore do not have enough seats for season ticket holders I'd imagine. Hopefully isn't not Croke Park. Atmosphere would be much better in Limerick. I do not see a big Mayo crowd traveling to Croke Park at the moment.

Based on all that having the game in the province of either team isn't a factor.

A big thing in Limericks favour is the train. I think a certain proportion of Dublin fans don't even own cars or drive and getting on the train will bring more of them than relying on buses.

"CCCC will decide" probably means 'let's try and get it in Croke park and if there's big resistance we will reluctantly look elsewhere'

Michael Gallagher is right in this week's Mayo News. The minute the Leinster final is over the County Board should be contacting Croke Park and insisting it shouldn't be in Dublin.

I think you're right. We'll have Cavan next weekend. Then a short enough trip to Roscommon shortly after. Dublin after. Then (probably) the 2nd v 3rd place playoff. And then the 1/4 finals the following week. That is far too expensive for the majority of families. People will obviously wish to make the knock out matches of the 2nd v 3rd and the 1/4 finals. If Mayo beat Roscommon and Cavan, the Dublin game will be seen as many to be a bit of a foregone conclusion, and too expensive, especially if in Dublin. The bigger games arrive in the following 2 weeks.

Lots of posters bang on the money here - Mayo v Dublin will attract a far bigger attendance in a venue outside Croke Park, especially seeing as the losers are potentially on the road again for the following two weeks and one of those is potentially another CP game (obviously, it would be Mayo would be the favourites of the two to end up with this schedule at the moment). Then again, since when did HQ ever give a f**k about logic, fairness, supporters etc…..

I Think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here.

I hoping the Dublin game will decide who tops the group but that's far from a shoe in.

Tullamore should be out in my opinion, has less seats than new Hyde and no public transport from Mayo.

Hyde park doesn't probably have enough seats for season tix but is equidistant and trains from both Dublin and Mayo.I hope it might be here though as I doubt any team in Ireland has as good a record as Mayo in Hyde Park.The CCCC chairman being from roscommon shouldn't come into it but in reality it probably does.

Limerick is probably the fairest option although no public transport from Mayo.Enough seats and a memorable day on the cards if its a winner takes top spot game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Lads what's the craic. Heading over on Saturday from Cavan any tips on parking aiming to be over early and grab a the dinner before the game.

Looking for a decent spot to park and more importantly a decent spot for a feed.

• Advertisement

Youll be coming in the N5,I think best option is to get in as far as you can to the first roundabout (locally Mulroys roundabout or Dublin road roundabout) and turn the car back the way you came.

You're a short distance (10 mins walk to Bar1,Coxes and Barrel And Castle all on the same street) These are all good spots for food. Bridge Street Bar and the famous Mick Byrnes (if you want football talk) are all in the same area.

Its a bonus this game isnt on telly,there will be a big crowd.

I have a soft spot for Cavan and hope you enjoy your time and the craic in Cbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Thankfully we never made the move for Mcguiness
    He is a dinosaur
    Out of touch with the modern game
    A one trick pony
    Can’t win anything without Murphy
    A soccer man

Have I missed anything ?

Yep that about covers it.

He's just the type of manager Mayo need but will probably never get based on past appointments.

Post edited by Westernview on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

oisin gallen couldnt kick off his left last year , super score today imagine what he could do with the likes of fergie b and ryan o donohue ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement