Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

IS it harsh to base an opinion on his book and say that I don't think Moran would be ruthless enough to be a good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think the fact that New York beat Leitrim even if it went to penalties is enough to say no. While he was an exceptional footballer, as a manager he has not done anything that suggest he should warrant inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

You could have levelled the same criticism about Donaghy being included in the Armagh setup. Sometimes there is a place for a particular set of skills in a setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

True but we should be looking for someone who has significant experience. The difference is Donaghy first stent has resulted in a team wining the All Ireland. He also has all ireland medals so he has a profile that is different. I think Donaghy value has risen based on them winning the all ireland while the opposite for Andy. Andy jumped straight into inter county managment rather than doing the selector role and should have went the selector role with a top team rather than what he did. Donaghy seems to have a plan to build a profile for himself and potentially go for the Kerry job. I don't think Andy is what we need at this point in time imo. I would have McDonald over him if there was a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There is no way a rookie manager like Andy would make any difference to the Mayo team, than the current management group are doing. We have some good players but no really good player. Our lads will work hard, but in reality are not that creative. I don't think we have any forward who can kick comfortably of both feet, which is a huge advantage for the great forwards who are playing the game. Our lads don't look like they have the overall confidence grab a game by the scruff of the neck, and battle it over the line. Quite the opposite in the past few months. Let the Galway match., the Derry match, and the Dublin match slip away.

I think the only way for the Mayo team to make progress is by one of the really top managers to come in - Jim McGuinness, Jim Gavin etc. I know that won't happen, but I just think the ordinary run-of-the-mill manager won't make any difference based on the players that we have. I would put Mayo in the likely to reach a quarter final category for most years. But unlikely to reach a semi-final unless they got a handy draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Even if they got a handy draw, I wouldn't be confident. They have a habit of playing to the level of the opposition a lot of the time. and frankly, the psychology of the current group is really poor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was actually going to comment that several sessions with a psychologist would not go amiss. I never really believed in that sort of stuff, and I still don't know how it really works. But I see some teams like Donegal and Armagh. And they demand the ball, and seem confident in what they can do. Probably over-confident. But our lads don't seem to be able to match that determination and ambition. I know they go out and do their best. But there are many many times in games where they makes half-assed runs for the ball. Kinda like - "I'm showing for the ball, but I don't really want it, because I am not confident of getting a shot off".

• Advertisement

I agree. You can see the hesitation in real time when they're on the ball, especially around shooting. Some of that I'm sure is down to coaching and all this "high percentage", overly cautious stuff going around nowadays, but I also think a lot of it just self-esteem, bottle and leadership. When it's in the melting pot it's usually the older Horan-era lads who try to take responsibility - Aidan, Cillian, etc.. For all Horan's failings as a manager, I do think he instilled a sense of confidence in the players who came up under him. Not sure the younger crowd really have it, aside from maybe Ryan O'Donoghue.

No Specifics as such, its just that the whole book was very vanilla. Everyone was great and everything was great. No criticisms. But the more I think about it, its just a book, he wasn't going to ruin his relationships in a tell all book and share what he really though.

So on second thoughts, I think the book is no basis for how ruthless he can or can't be!

I would agree and the manner in which we play has not helped but I also think it has become a culture. I don't think we had that prior to 2021 where the mentality was focussed on wining and performing. I mention a few months ago that it would appear some players are happy to just be in the set up and I think McStay is letting that continue. It really is a tough business to be an inter county footballer and deliver on a consistent basis. It is not easy but that is the ask.

When you look at what McGuinness has done in a few months with that Donegal squad is really impressive and they have brought that tough mentality and culture back so that they are contenders for SAM. Even when you listen to McGuinness, I can see why they play so hard for him with his drive and his passion for Donegal is so evident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Odds for the 1st round of the senior championship:

And odds for the intermediate:

Aughamore v Ballintubber & Claremorris v Belmullet the tightest two games in the senior although I think Kilmeena could run Breaffy close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Any championship season pass for Mayogaatv? Their website is an absolute mess.

Scores from the weekend (taken from the mayogaablog):

SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Group 1

• Aghamore 0-12 Ballintubber 1-9
    • Breaffy 1-13 Kilmeena 0-12

Group 2

• Mayo Gaels 0-9 Ballina Stephenites 0-21
    • Balla 0-12 Westport St Patrick’s 0-14

Group 3

• Ballaghaderreen 1-10 Knockmore 1-9
    • Claremorris 0-21 Béal an Mhuirthead 2-13

Group 4

• Castlebar Mitchels 0-13 Charlestown Sarsfields 2-7
    • Ballyhaunis 0-11 Garrymore 3-11

INTERMEDIATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Group 1

• Lahardane MacHales 0-9 Crossmolina Deel Rovers 0-16
    • Moy Davitts 3-8 Louisburgh 1-10

Group 2

• Kiltimagh 2-9 Hollymount/Carramore 2-10
    • Castlebar Mitchels B 1-8 Davitts 1-12

Group 3

• Parke/Keelogues/Crimlin 1-12 Ballinrobe 0-15
    • Kilmaine 1-18 Kiltane 1-12

Group 4

• Ardnaree Sarsfields 1-12 The Neale 0-12
    • Burrishoole 1-14 Islandeady 2-10

JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Group 1

• Cill Chomáin 0-8 Swinford 0-3
    • Bonniconlon 1-13 Kilmovee Shamrocks 0-7

Group 2

• Ballycroy 1-12 Northern Gaels 2-11
    • Shrule/Glencorrib 0-9 Tuar Mhic Éadaigh 1-7

Group 3

• Ballycastle 1-5 Eastern Gaels 3-12
    • Killala 2-10 Achill 1-9

Great result for Ballagh; that really puts us under the cosh in the next round at home to Claremorris who seemingly played out a good game with Belmullet - EOD's sending off sounds like it was a big turning point in that one.

Decent results also for Aghamore & Charlestown in senior. Even though they lost, Balla were a lot closer to Westport than would have been expected but it looks like it'll come down to themselves and Mayo Gaels for the relegation playoff spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They were probablya few in Balla that took advantage of the 13 points handicap spread. Seems like a fantastic bet now, I think Ah Ref had highlighted it in advance as being a good one.

I was at the Breaffy Kilmeena game. Breaffy were comfortable enough throughout, just seemed to have enough for Kilmeena. Saying that I was fairly impressed with Kilmeena for a team coming up from Intermediate. Carney landed some massive points towards the end. There seems to be a bit of a buzz around the Breaffy squad with Deane in charge.

Huge round 2 games coming up for Castlebar, Ballintubber and Knockmore in a couple of week's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

I’ve been out of the county for many years but what is happening to Swinford? 3 points on the scoreboard at junior level.

I wouldn't know a massive amount about the Junior teams but they had a decent win the previous week against Bonniconlon. Not sure about their current team but Cill Chomain used to play a very defensive brand of football so that presumably played a part but even still, 3 points is a very poor return from an hour of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It’s a long journey from Swinford to Glenamoy, and Cill Chomáin have been quite defensive in the last few years. I think Ruanes bookmakers had Cill Chomáin as favourites for the junior at the beginning of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

I thought that Swinford were the outright favourites with Eastern Gaels second and Cill Chomáin third?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

not according to this anyway

https://x.com/ruanebookmakers/status/1817860313556959331?s=46&t=ykVB3m4Gr-33Rm_rENBb4A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mike Solan has been appointed Longford manager.

It will be interesting to see how he does.

Does he still have the potential to be a Mayo manager or has that ship sailed?

Good luck to him. He did well with underage in Mayo, but I always felt that u20 final was lost on the sideline. After that final I didn't hold out much hope of him cutting it at senior level.

But who knows, like you say, it will be interesting to see how he does with Longford!

I'd say he'd be in the running if he does well with Longford alright. They're in D4 next year and none of the other teams stand out particularly so promotion is a possibility. They lost all 3 games in the TC so the only way is up on that front.

Hope it goes well for him

lots of noise that we could be looking for a new manager!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Westernview

Got a message on it so not sure if it is bs yet but there is something up. I’d say Rochford should be gone at a minimum.

There will be every sort of rumour going around now during the vacuum of the off season. Quite possible that there will be no changes at all. Who knows.

It's 10 years ago today since that famous game in Limerick.

It was the most dramatic sporting event I was ever at, until the 2016 drawn final out did it for drama.

Bad and all as the result was that day, what was most annoying to me at the time was seeing Donegal beat Dublin the next day, and thinking what might have been.

10 years on and post 2021, I have a more cynical take on it.

It didn't matter, they would never have won the final anyway.

@Audioslaven - form being on this site for years I have come to think of you as a poster who is not prone to posting dramatic one liners.

Your posts tend to be detailed and measured.

In my opinion you are one of the more knowledgeable posters here.

But this is a dramatic one liner.

There might be something in it.

• Advertisement

I agree. Seemed at the time like a missed opportunity but all the indications are that we wouldn't have beaten Donegal. We beat Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, Donegal at various stages but didn't have the mindset to win a final regardless of the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

…l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Dominic Solanke

Was at the Knockmore v Claremorris on Saturday, lovely evening for it. Decent win for us in the end after it being tight for long periods but not a great spectacle tbh, a good few simple errors and slow build up play. Holmes & Dempsey went off injured with what looked like hamstring injuries midway through the 2nd half to go with our existing injury list.

Darren McHale & Orme were quiet enough considering they're two of our county players; Kevin Mc came into it in the last 20 and helped push us clear. Mostly it was the younger lads who performed best, Battle, Staunton and particularly Hopkins had good games. Claremorris are very reliant on the younger lads like the Hurleys & Beirne but I think they'll need a year or two more before they can really compete.

That group could easily finish with 3 teams on 4 points and it might come down to scoring difference for either a home quarter final or no quarter final. Ballagh are doing much better than most expected

Good result for Garrymore, Castlebar are seriously underperforming IMO

It could also come down to 3 teams on 2 points as well Mac! A lot to play for in the group.

Was away for the weekend so had to listen to Ballintuber Breaffy on Mid West. Anyone I've talked to seemed to backup the commentary, a very unBallintuber like performance at home to Breaffy. Still hard to gauge where Breaffy are exactly but there's a new energy there with Sean Deane in charge.

The knives aren't just out in Castlebar, they're being waved around the place... Is what I was told and that was after the Charlestown game. Big pressure on the big man. They're still in it though, and they could make it through without winning a game - 3 draws would be enough for them, even if Charlestown won (by no more than 4).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I was in Clogher Par, Breaffy were excellent. Deane & Neary were excellent along with AOS and COS. Well organised in defence and great kick outs from the goalie. I think they looked serious contenders.

Ballintubber were a shambles, things are not good there if reports are to be believed

Vahey is a serious keeper, was with Sligo Rovers for a while.

There didn't seem to be much pressure applied by Ballintubber, and Kilmeena were kept at arms length. I wouldn't be classing them as serious contenders until they get through a proper battle, but there's definitely some optimism around.

How did Carter play in midfield? I was very impressed with him against Kilmeena. He's a mountain of a young lad and he can get around the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

From MayoNews.ie

A review into the 2024 season between the Mayo GAA county board and the senior management team is ongoing and due to be completed in the next couple of weeks.

A discussion around the ongoing review was initiated at Wednesday's county board meeting by Garrymore delegate John Farragher, who claimed that players and supporters are 'not happy' with the current state of the Mayo senior team.

"A lot of people are not happy, they want change,"

"And questionnaires sent out to players, I'm hearing players are not happy. This sends out alarm bells. What I'm saying, if you lose a dressing room...you can forget about it.

"I can tell you, I go to a lot of games and the supporters, the genuine people going through the turnstiles are not happy," he added.

Louisburgh delegate, John Gibbons, echoed his sentiments, saying: "People are not happy with our selectors, our coaches, people are not happy. And that's out there and it's out there big time."

Being "not happy" is all very generic.

None of us would be happy with the way the championship went for Mayo, where the Dublin game was the only game that we saw anything like the Mayo we have got used to watching since 2011.

After the Derry game I asked myself why didn't management have a plan for such a scenario.

But then a week later I saw the much respected Jack O'Connor and David Clifford have the same issues with Derry.

We saw this year that like in 2021 a team with good players but without superstars can come and win it all with a good environment, good coaching, good planning etc.

Why can't Mayo do that?

Mayo seems to have lacked that ability to over perform in recent years.

I don't know what the answer is.

I'm not sure if McStay should continue but he is long enough in the game to know that what we saw this year was not up to scratch.

If he does go early I've no idea who could take over.

Someone enlighten me, and don't say Horan.

• Advertisement

Has anyone listened to the Mayo GAA podcast? I felt the tone was overall quite pro-management and very critical of the county board - that their elaborate process, information vacuum and over interference in things like player reviews is allowing the rumour mill to go into overdrive.

I thought so as well.

Maybe it's my cynicism but I would also bear in mind that McStay would have worked closely with Mike Finnerty in their Mayo News days.

Not saying I think the CB are without fault, or that McStay is deserving of taking all the flak, but there could be all sorts of games going on...

Yes 'unhappy' is a dubious term to use. Unless that delegate had concrete evidence of player unrest he should not have raised that issue. It just fuels rumour upon rumour and is very unfair to the management team who were appointed under a rigorous process. Raising it when the Review was still ongoing was particularly unhelpful. If the players as a group are unhappy with anything they have the option to go through a liason officer. Management can't be blamed for player failure to lock down on every Dublin player for Clinton's last kickout in Roscommon. Players need to step up and show leadership.

I'd agree with that tone. The board have been very quite since the Derry game. I heard that the chairman stepped back for a while over the summer but the PRO has been very quiet too. That creates the vacuum.

This is damaging for all .. CB, management and the players. Mchale leaving last year was interesting considering he is family but looking at it now, he has integrity and called out his reasons why, departed and no messing with him.

So reading between the lines, the CB want McStay gone, players are not happy with one to one sessions going on. The review should be enough to either force McStay out or else he will leave because of it or make him change his backroom team to undermine him. I can't see McStay having the stomach for this. The players will say nothing about "been unhappy" otherwise people will go here we go again C&H version 2. The players not coming out to support McStay says it all on the other side.

A **** show and stinks of issues around politics, egos, lack of leadership, interference….Anyway, the long and short of it, is we don't have the quality required from CB, management and players to challenge for SAM.

A few disgruntled club delegates doesn't mean the board wants McStay gone. If they do they'd want to be confident of getting a high calibre replacement. James Horan talked recently about the job becoming almost impossible for someone that has a day job so it's not that simple getting managers nowadays. Regarding players not coming out to support McStay, well they can't say much while the review is taking place. It's more the PRO or chairman who should be keeping us up to date on things.

In any case we don't seem to have the required player quality as you say and there isn't much noise from supporters on the whole thing. I think that reflects a certain level of weariness from supporters based on past experiences and the knowledge that replacing managers doesn't necessarily increase chances of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

Its probably that the management and teams performance for the year is being viewed through the lens of the Armagh and Galway all Ireland final. Are mayo as good as those teams or have equally as good talent? Probably like to think so but yet we went out to a bang average Derry team who have subsequently changed manager. Context changes everything as there was a handy all Ireland to be won and mayo were never in the recogning

I know but being realistic, only the Dublin game did Mayo show some signs of improvement. Outside of that they were very average and ultimately got what they deserved. I don’t hear any supporter saying we were robbed or should have made the quarters irrespective of the context and the ultimate winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

Agreed and this is the conordrum, would another manager get a better time out of the players ? Maybe yes, maybe no. Kevin an his team have not been delivering results in the championship, simple as that. No heir apparent so do the CB stick or twist. Probably stick for the next 12 months

I would agree that players being "unhappy" is a vague term. Lots of high performance environments would have disagreements and robust opinions being shared. I'm sure they are unhappy with how the year went - if they weren't, I'd be very concerned about the commitment levels and standards players have for themselves. Does it mean they want the management replaced though? Not sure. They did make the point on the podcast that the only happy dressing room in the country this year is Armagh's, which is fair. I'm sure things haven't been exactly rosy in the Galway, Dublin or Kerry dressing rooms. As for Derry, well we know what happened there.

I think Mcstay’s tactics are open to criticism and this to me is the reason why he is getting the review and he is in hot tub. I would even suggest that this is one of the reasons why the players are unhappy. Some players have regressed this year under his tactics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement