Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes,100%.

I try to look at the positives,Mayo wouldn't have been getting the bumper league crowds the last decade if they didn't have facilities for crowd comfort in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JMurphy84

Do the general admission tickets get you in to the stand for the Dublin game? I was in the stand for the first game in the championship and it was separate tickets for the stand and terrace with dedicated seat numbers. Thanks .

I think it's reverted to old school where GA just gets you in anywhere.Theres not allocated seating for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

I'm assuming by "the championship" you mean the Connacht Championship game in the Hyde rather than our first game of THIS All Ireland Championship against Cavan a few weeks ago?

A different competition, different governing body & different types of tickets available (no 3 for 2 group tickets which I'd imagine is the root of the GA being used) so all change now. The GA will get you into the stand no bother, as long as you're there earlier enough to grab one of the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Westernview

Yes. The better the comfort the bigger the crowds that will come. Especially those that are 50-50 about going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Probably wishful thinking on my part but I had expected this to sell out immediately, given the talk of Dubs loving an away day. Still seems to be no shortage of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They are expecting to win so probably saving their money for the QF SF and final.

I think the game will near enough sell out,maybe 20k.

No sure what the official attendance was (they dont count u16s)

but there was about 20k at the league game in early Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fire_man

The Gaa seem to be unable to complete a stadium. Bits of stands and have covered etc around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

Kobes not a bad auld baller :@

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Impressive performance by the minors this evening.

Work-rate, organisation & quality in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,146 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that the hype is still relatively low-key on the lad. What a talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ballina1953

mchale stand a disaster facing the westerly wind and rain much better on the uncovered side

have been soaked in stand on multiple occassions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭spakman

Well you must have sat down towards the front. I've never had a drop fall on me in the new stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hard to believe that a Mayo v Dublin game is on in 4 days time, there's no posts about it here or in the Dublin thread and there are still tickets available even though it's only being held in the Hyde

FWIW, I fear we could be in for a hammering

FWIW we are 9/2 and I’ll be putting 20 on it

My first bet in 3 years :D

I hope you're right!! Last time we were at those odds and won was Cork in 2011 I'd say - I had 20 on at that price and another 5 on -4 @ 20/1 which just missed, I was cursing some easy misses we had towards the end, Dillon with one in particular that I remember

last time I had them was against Dublin and I went home 100 euro richer !

It's a pretty damning indictment of the current structure. We're told that there will be two games of lesser importance so that there will be a cliffhanger in the third, but these games ultimately have little consequence.

Yes the loser has to play a preliminary quarter final, but its not the kind of carrot that makes people travel halfway across the country in their droves. If the group stage cant sell out Mayo v Dublin in a small neutral venu, they may as well pack it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I really hope you are right. But I cannot see it. We have a decent team, but not what I would call a good team. I think we have too many players who lack courage to get on the ball to drive forward and take on a shot from reasonable distance. And I'm not talking about taking potshots from 45 metres out. I mean even 30 metres. Ruane, Flynn and O'Donoghue can do it. But that's about it. And I don't think that's enough when looking at numbers 5 through to 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

In fairness if this was Mayo from 2016/2017 it would be sold out and probably would be in a bigger stadium. There isn't huge confidence in this Mayo side in comparison to pre 2021 and the style of fooball has regressed/new players are not to the same level. I think this is having a bigger impact in the travelling Mayo crew over the structure, even if the structure is also an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yep. The team isn't as exciting as the previous squad and I think a lot of people feel like there is little chance of an All-Ireland in them, which is definitely affecting attendances from a Mayo perspective anyway. Being brutally honest, people don't care enough to travel and pay to watch them. An element of fair weather-ism about it, but it is what it is. The team isn't lighting any fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya. Good point. There is very little excitement when looking at them. For some players that looked like they may have great potential, it just hasn't worked out for them - Enda Hession, Tommy Conroy, Jordan Flynn has a mixed year, Jack Carney doesn't see to add an awful lot, McBrien has been ok but doesn't really leave a lasting marker on any game, Paul Towey is in and out of things - I don't know where he stands in management opinion, Stephen Coen is a man for the long road, but is the opposite of someone to make some magic happen, Donnacha McHugh seems to be our go to man-marker for the more phyical opponents, but doesn't really get involved in the games. Cillian O'Connor is past it once we come to any decent opposition, And big Aidan is a mixed bag.

I know that's very negative; but I just haven't seen any progression in the players since they went through that good run in the league last year. Still completely reliant on Ryan O'Donoghue. God help us if he got injured. In any case, the better teams will find a way to snuff his threat out, as they will have plenty of other good players to carry the mantle. If Dublin stick Murchen on him, he won't see much ball; and he doesn't have any height advantage that the likes of Comer, Clifford, McGuigan would have for a target man.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

If we lose, at least give them a bloodied nose.

Team named, DOC on the bench which is good news if true:

he Mayo senior football team is as follows:

1. Colm Reape Knockmore
    2. Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis
    3. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen
    4. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels
    5. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites
    6. Stephen Coen Hollymount Carramore
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin Westport
    8. Jack Carney Kilmeena
    9. Matthew Ruane Breaffy
    10. Tommy Conroy The Neale
    11. Darren McHale Knockmore
    12. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Aidan O’Shea Breaffy
    14. Cillian O’Connor Ballintubber
    15. Ryan O’Donoghue Béal an Mhuirthead

SUBS:

1. Rob Hennelly Raheny
    2. Rory Brickenden Westport
    3. James Carr Ardagh
    4. Enda Hession Garrymore
    5. Conor Loftus Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    6. Diarmuid O’Connor Ballintubber
    7. Eoin O’Donoghue Béal an Mhuirthead
    8. Pádraig O’Hora Ballina Stephenites
    9. Michael Plunkett Ballintubber
    10. Paul Towey Charlestown Sarsfields
    11. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels

Carr also on the bench

Bench looks much stronger now but I have my doubts if all of McBrien , Diarmuid and Carr will make the panel

I suspect Carr won’t

2 game ban for Boland too. Seems harsh!!!

I bought one ticket too many for tomorrow - free to a good home if anyone wants it

That hit by Conor Glass right under the nose of the ref had more force in it than Bolands !!!

Free ticket for a fellow Mayo fan,dm me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Everybody else too engrossed to post? Looking like another narrow defeat to Dublin, or a draw which would amount to the same thing. As Stephen Rochford once said "Too many of them at this stage"

Advertisement