Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Feck it anyway.

Feels like I've watched this kind of game so many times...decent performance but just couldn't get over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Could the ref have played another 30 seconds at the end? We probably didn't deserve it because IIRC it was mostly us who were 'wasting time' round the ROD free…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Should have won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sickened. I could taste the money :D

God we are so naive

All we had to do was

1. Win the kick out
      Or
    2. Foul whoever did . And then funnel back

The Dubs would have taken option 2 if in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

huge positive with the performance. We have not played like that for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

why did no mayo player jump with Dublin player to contest kickout... ?? When mayo are in a winning position such as today.. why can't they hold their heads remain calm and focus on what they need to do??

Should have just taken out the Dublin player who won the ball. Simple as. We basically let them win the ball and set up an equaliser. Pure naive amateur stuff. Body language at the end wasn't good. Could tell they were very disappointed. Tough few weeks incoming.

Derry will beat us 11-10 next weekend 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10 howdo1992

Derry in Castlebar will be a nightmare draw. Cork looking dangerous to.

Shame we can’t draw the rossies again :(

Yes Dublin player should have been fouled... then prevent free being taken quickly... would have caused a scene... would have suited mayo perfect... instead the dubs got through for a simple score... mayo players didn't seem too bothered at the end either. the mind boggles when it comes to mayo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Very naive at the end. McStay was shouting at them all the retreat for the kick out. We didn't. You've got to make a foul when they win the kickout, start a bit of handbags as well if needed.

Very few lessons get learnt with us.

I thought they looked bothered. McStay was clearly disappointed in the post-match interview too. They've put a lot into that game tbh, would be surprised if they can raise it for next weekend. A draw that feels like a loss (because it basically is).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

I thought i was the right move.

1 up , we pressed for a 50/50 kick-out, win possession and it's over.

Dublin would have found a way if they went short imo .

McStay rightly pissed off.... not sure mayo players were as pissed off... aidan o shea didn't look too bothered when he was standing for selfie's... he played well to be fair to him

It's when you'd miss Keegan! A great man for starting nonsense when it's in the melting pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Id agree with you. Ref will generally allow them go over time when they have attacking possession looking for equalizer too.

But they should have fouled after the kick out catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

This by 10000%

We have learned absolutely focking nothing from all our narrow losses over the years 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They wouldn't have been yards in front of our goal with two hand passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lillielad

Fair play to Mayo today gave it absolutely everything. How Kilkenny got a free catch at the end baffled me though, punch the **** thing clear, or foul and slow the play down.

If Mayo keep that level of performance up they will be hard stopped. Mayo missed an awful lot in the first half and Ryan didn't have his shooting boots on until later in the game. Best of luck in the future lads hope to god yous win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I see Captain Hindsight is fairly active here this evening.

"They should have done this, they should have done that etc etc".

I don't think anyone of us would have thought that Mayo could have drawn Dublin today, let alone come close to winning.

Their last two outings v top quality opposition in the championship have been hammerings, hammerings that have come after decent first half displays but where they then got opened up in the third quarter.

That didn't happen today, even though myself and many more including Keegan on TV were fearful of something like that happening.

And even though this was not a pure knock out game it was one that Dublin wanted to win.

I remember mentioning early on in the league that the backs have become very stingy when it comes to giving up goals and goal chances, and that was very evident today, which is great to see.

And I think that had a huge part in not allowing Dublin run away with it.

Come to think of it, Mayo overhauled a three point deficit in the second half if I'm not mistaken.

I was very happy with the energy and the physicality that Mayo brought, lots of hard running, quick movement and turnovers.

Sure they still rely on ROD so much but plenty chipped in today with scores when needed and Aiden had a monster game I thought, so much hard work by him.

I still the think this team is limited, but performances like that give me confidence.

They shouldn't fear any of the three they could face, obviously Monaghan would be the easiest but Derry have been a shambles all Championship and they owe Cork one after messing up last year.

And if they get past next week they are well capable of beating Armagh at least, though Kerry or Donegal would obviously be tougher.

One interesting comment by McStay after the game, he said about learning from last year with regards to managing the potential back to back to back weekends, hopefully they have learned something.

• Advertisement

What's the story with Enda Hession? He seemed the obvious replacement for McLaughlin but seems to have fallen out of favour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He meant how we tossed away home advantage last year in the prem QF.

No travel will be a big help with the recovery for the potential QF.

Mayo never got ahead until the last minute.I was worried the game was getting away from us when we went 3 down after HT. We missed some simple scores. ROD free kick into cluxton arms. O Shea punch wide.

Being dispossessed when in the scoring zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

Thought Mayo played very well but it's down to the draw now. For example mayo could have to topple kerry and Derry to make semi. Tough. Monaghan and armagh a better route.

Absolutely do not want Derry. Banana skin written all over it .

Monaghan please

If not then Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

100%. Today was a huge performance considering the football that we have been playing last year and this year to-date. I don't care about the what ifs about today as what we did today is a huge step that I didn't even think was possible. They need to deliver another performance the next day and roll into the quarter finals in good form with confidence and believe. We need Monaghan as we always have trouble beating Cork and Derry will be sticky.

Yeah part of me thinks there's a sting in Derry yet and part of me thinks they're waiting to be put out of their misery. It's a potential dodgy one. I also happen to think the same about Cork. They scuppered our season last year, there's no reason it couldn't happen again this year, they're very unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ciaran mcfaull and diarmuid baker starting to show form , they are the most dangerous team you could get , monaghan all day is the best draw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Derry next week.

Not ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Mayo v Derry, tough enough draw

Advertisement