Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Disaster of a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ah Derry were beaten out the gate in 3 of their last four games and lucky to beat Westmeath. Mayo will win .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mayo to lose, Galway and Roscommon to win vs the Nordies.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

worst possible draw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mayo are absolutely braindead at times. It's mind-boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Boy, I would love to shut Brolly up with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

Derry look a team walking on shells. I expect mayo to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree. After Mayo's impressive performance yesterday Derry should be more worried than us.

The main issue Mayo have now is not being ruthless enough going for goals. Points tapped over when players were free inside. We won't beat Dublin or Kerry without at least 1 goal as yesterday showed.

On the flipside we didn't concede any which is also important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not a good draw. "Trouble in the camp", "Harte has lost the dressing room", "ran out of gas after the league" etc etc etc. Has all the hallmarks of an ambush tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Winning this would not shut Brolly up.

I believe Brolly is no fan of Hearts stewardship of Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Based on recent form, we should beat Derry reasonably comfortably but if they could manage to get out of the rut they're in, we'd be in trouble

So you'd prefer hearing that team spirit is the best it has been with Derry hammering every team in front of them coming into next weeks game?

Derry are a division 1 side and Mayo won't take anything for granted after losing the league match to them. If we lose it will just be that they are too good for us, not an ambush.

Was at the match yesterday with the kids, it was v enjoyable overall but obviously disappointing that we didn't get over the line. You have to hand it to Dublin though, the absolute belief and composure they had to win that last ball and go down and get the equaliser was unbelievable; yes we should have been more cynical but they deserve some credit also.

Despite nearly winning, there are still areas we can improve on though - missed 3-4 easy enough points by dropping the ball short. Coughed up a couple of goal chances that Dublin might have scored on another day and had a few half-chances ourselves that we didn't take

Was McLaughlin injured or what? He was down getting treatment 5-10 min before going off so I presume it was an injury.

McHugh was very effective yesterday, Fenton has destroyed us on a few occasions in the last few years so it was great to keep him fairly quiet for once. Our forward play was much better also, players were running harder lines that in our previous couple of matches, having Tommy C in the half forward line helped with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

No, I didn't say that at all. I'm saying that I can see this week being a lot of talk about Derry being a busted flush but there could very well be a sting in them yet and it would be fairly typical that we'd bear the brunt of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishboy1

Why do they struggle so much against the dubs

I'd agree that Derry will get a bit of a bounce from winning last week after losing a lot of games together. But I still don't think Mayo will be caught unawares. It's more about recovering from the exertions of yesterday.

We tend to get focused and perform when it gets to knockout stage while we can be a bit listless sometimes in Connacht and group games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Squatman

because its the bones of the best football team ever? id wager that has somethign to do with it. you will often find that in sport that teams struggle against better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Not a notion Tyrone will wipe the floor with Roscommon,the rossies have being very poor an the manager of there's is no help to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Everyone struggles against the dubs. They've only lost 4 championship games since 2011 and, funnily enough, 2 of them were vs Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭muddle84

Remember folks, don't feed the trolls!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Sunday at half 2 mayo derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Cork for me would have been the worst draw. We always find it very hard to defeat them and they are on the back of decent displays. Derry on the other hand have struggled since the league win. Granted they have some excellent footballers but they are clearly not firing… Glass has played some amount of football over the last 12 months. So if Mayo turn out another performance like yesterday, it should be enough to win. Yesterday performance has to bring huge belief that they can mix it with the best and not let it go down as a one off performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Many are being a bit harsh on Mayo imo, that was brilliant football by Dublin in the last play, three players all contributing with some great individual actions, it happens. Maybe we could have been a bit cynical and started soemthing but who knows how a free might have worked out, Dublin are so clinical in setting up a scoring chance. It's not as if we won posession and got turned over or kicked it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

That last ball from Brick into ROD wasn't a good decision at all even though it worked out for us.

We had the ball with ~70 on the clock and you could see that the plan was to run it down to 73 and then take on a shot to nothing. It's around 71:20 I think when he plays that long ball into ROD who does brilliantly to gather it but it was a low percentage pass that shouldn't have been attempted IMO. If ROD spills that, chances are Dublin go up the other end, run down the clock and score a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Dubs had a set play for that last point. Diarmuid was marking Costello who pulled him out of 6 and left the room for McCaffrey to steam through the middle. You need your midfielder to spot something like that and close the space, like Fenton did for RODs blocked shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

Lots of ifs and buts. When Costello slipped, DOC could have got the ball or pressured him into losing it, but doc slipped too! By the time he got to his feet the ball was on its way over the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Match date and time confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Compo82

Seems a bit unfair on Mayo. Derry will have a 8 day turnaround to Mayo's 6 days. Derry have lost 3 games in the championship and they are the ones rewarded. Mayo finished 2nd in their group on the same points as Dublin.

Advertisement