Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭muddle84

I have to agree on Brickendens pass, it was a perfect pass to our best shooter. The pass did its job, even if he didn't win the free, ROD had the ball!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

All the media writing off Derry.

Don't understand it as its knockout now.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Derry don't have a chance against Mayo, only a couple of months ago I posted that I wouldn't be afraid of Mayo in the group stage.

I wonder what would possess people to drive 3.5 hours to Castlebar for that? Driving that distance sounds dreadful to me. I could understand it if they were going on train. I think maybe they just use it as an excuse for a holiday or to spend time with family. It is not like it will be a great game of football either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Biggest attention seeking gobsh1te the GAA has.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brickenden didn't have the benefit of a clock in the top left of his line of vision to see how far into injury time the game was.

The ball needed to be delivered to the main scorer and that's what was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭MacDanger

There's a clock in the stadium, someone on the team needs to take that lead and make sure everyone knows; it's a scenario that should be covered in training.

This is the type of game management that Dublin do as second nature.

I'm not saying it's easy to do when you're in the middle of a high octane game but it's small things like this that make the difference between winning and losing against the best teams

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Only one scoreboard I could see and it was behind him.

You honestly think players are looking at the scoreboard to see what's left in the heat of the battle. If it's injury time it's the discretion of the ref so how do you judge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Like I said, it's not easy to do in the heat of the moment but someone needs to have the presence of mind to glance at the big clock behind them and let their teammates know. Do you honestly think we shouldn't train for it and that players shouldn't do it if it makes the difference between winning and losing? It's a game of inches and all that

I'll definitely leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

On balance it probably was a footblock from Fenton. There was no distance between his leg and the ball, and its largely irrelevant if he meant it or not. Most players don't mean high tackles for example. Most fouls are accidental or clumsy execution.

That said most of the decisions balanced out. Mayo had ample opportunities and once good decision making mainly in the final third was lacking.

However there's no shame in drawing with this Dublin team.

Post edited by tobefrank321 on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We had played out a minute or so of the injury time. At that point, I'm fairly sure that it would be a green light to go for something if it was on. You can't leave it to the dying seconds imo. You have got to back yourself to not concede in a minute or so.

There's a valid argument to be had on whether the pass was a percentage one to play or not. It wasn't imo, Brickenden seems to back himself though and Iike that about him.

Imo, the main talking point should be our game management after the kick out. McStay was gesturing like a mad man to retreat when the free was kicked.

1. This scenario should have been well rehearsed in training
    2. Failing that, he had plenty of time before the free was taken to get the message that they should drop back if it went over.

Really poor management by McStay imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭crusd

So what your saying is that instead of trying to create something when there is opportunity to do something positive, what you should instead do is hold onto the ball for 2 minutes with the risk of being turned over and probably ultimately only get a shot to nothing? And you call that good game management? Bizarre rationale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭crusd

The general consensus seems to be that it was bad game management not dropping back, either from the players or management team. We could avoided a fisted point from the right side of the large rectangle had we filtered everyone back just like Galway did versus Armagh…….oh, wait.

The real issue was allowing clean primary possession from a kickout to contested space in the middle. Bob Touhy was too honest. As you can see below he was in prime position to just step in and smother Kilkenny, but he took two steps back to cover a potential runner. Tommy also should have just stepped in when it looked like Kilkenny was going to claim the catch. We just dont have the right level of healthy cynicism. We also have to remember that the equalising points was orchestrated by 3 of the best players to ever play the game in Cluxton, Kilkenny and McCaffrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Westernview

Also McCaffrey completely unmarked. Hat's off to Dublin for the way they orchestrated that last score but it's coming up to 8 years since they pulled down our players for that last kickout. You'd wonder if we will ever learn that necessary bit of cynicism at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Yes I think McCaffrey needed a man marker with pace to track him and do a Keegan on him. When he came on, we could have brought Hession in to man mark him as we needed a fresh guy who has pace. Costello also needed to be marked better as he was playing puck.

These are lessions to be learned but I think the performance surpasses any criticism that can be levelled at the managment/team as they really went for it. I am usually critical as some would know, but in this case where I see a clear improvement accross the board offers real proof that we can get back to where we belong. The trick is now to repeat this on a consistent level.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree that the performance supersedes everything. Some much positivity come from a game like that. It's just to make sure that if we meet again that we ready for nearly every scenario. Inches and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Would love to know what's happened with Hession. Seemed to have a lot of potential and now completely out of favour. Isn't even a first choice sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭GBXI

It's fascinating. Remember in the league game in recent years where he sat Morgan down with a right foot solo dummy before knocking it into the net with his left foot. Also, last year in the biggest game to that point, he came off the bench late on v Galway. Mayo one point up. Galway press our kickout. Reape finds Hession but he is under major pressure. He uses his pace brilliantly to get out of trouble and set up an attack which ends with James Carr's winning score.

How bad must he be playing in training not to at least be one of the first defensive subs on the pitch? To be honest, I'd have him ahead of Jack Coyne every day of the week.

In the 2021 semifinal, he was hugely instrumental in turning the tide that day. The Dubs struggled to even lay a glove on him after he came on. He must have seriously regressed to no longer be in the conversation for a starting place and barely even making substitute appearances. I know he did spend time on the injury list a few months back, but I don't think that's been an issue for a while now. He just isn't getting picked for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Featured in 5 out of our last 5 league games (+20 off the bench against Kerry on his return from injury and starting the last 4 while finishing 3 of those) and didn't look to have regressed any in those. Not in top form attacking wise (hard to know if that was instructions or form, 50/50) but he looked as solid as anyone at the back in those games (one notable slip between himself & Flynn against Derry that cost a goal, but without knowing the lads triggers to chase I'd have thought that more on Flynn's end).

He'd have to be suffering some loss of form in training to have dropped far enough to be behind both Swanee & Lofus in the defensive pecking order at this point, from what we saw in the league games. I'd have thought he'd be pushing hard to start against Brick or Coyne coming into the Championship. Just on natural attributes, his pace offers so much on attacking threat & defensive cover, it's odd to see it not being used more.

Still memories of him pushing the medic/physio off him in the Kerry match last year to dive back into the action or the determination to win & celebrate a few of the big tackles that day. Exactly the type of mentality you love to see on the field. Fingers crossed no niggly injuries or issues holding him back & it's just tight battles for selection. Hell of a baller on his day & one that really excites the crowd whenever he sets off at pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭HBC08

We have to remember as well we have no info on littles niggles or injuries. We hear about the ACLs etc but not the week to week stuff.

My guess is something along those lines,his form would have to fall off a cliff (probably in a few actual games) rather than training for him to fall so far behind.

I'd still have full faith in him.

We'll need his kind of pace to break down Derry, especially if Eoghan Mac doesn't make it.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

John Walker gave an update to the Mayo News suggesting Eoghan should be fine, so fingers crossed there. He'd had the ankle issue about 10-15 minutes in, the knee about 20 minutes in & then felt the hamstring tighten around 30 minutes and (thankfully, correct decision even if the game slipped through our fingers) taken off rather than risking it.

He mentioned a further appeal on the 2 game ban for Fergie too, though I'd not get my hopes too high on that one.

Thats good news on Eoghan if it comes to pass,we really will need pace from everywhere for what Derry will bring.

Desperately harsh for Fergie B with the 2 match ban (can you think of a less dirty player?)

Listening to Colm Keyes,whilst he sympathises with him he doesnt see it being reduced.Would be a big boost if we could get him back

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users Posts: 9,432 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We will be the only GAA county who doesn't get a player off after exhausting the different appeal committees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭spakman

I'd have a different take on what Colm Keyes said.

He thought it was a red, yes (1 match ban), but not excessive force (2 match ban).

I'd say he has a good chance of having it reduced to 1 match ban, making him available for sat

1 match ban (Category III) = "with minimal force"

2 match ban (Category IV) = "with force"

I'd have thought the contact was arm/shoulder rather than elbow (as submitted by the referee) so I'd have thought a high chance of it being recinded on the original challenge.

If it's questioning the severity of the ban (e.g. suggesting it was 'minimal') I can't see much joy here having it reduced to a 1 game ban. Was going to be 0 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hession was amazing in the 2021 semi final against Dublin. Like a man possessed. I was amazed at what he was doing, for a young inexperienced man in Croke Park. He was instrumental in getting Mayo over the line that day. But he has only shown brief enough patches of that type of form since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How bad have Derry actually got ?

I've only seen them in the game v Donegal.

Thanks to the anemic round robin system, the fact that the games are in May and GAA Go I've not actually watched them.

Did they put too much in to winning the league?

It's often the case that a team that does well in the league does so because they are playing with a full deck while the other teams in the division are still resting and experimenting.

I've never believed in the notion that a team can play poorly for a period of time and then just turn it on when they get to a certain point.

If Derry really had an extra gear in them they would have won better last weekend rather than just getting over the line.

I hope I'm correct and that they are a busted flush.

Derry played most of the championship without their hb line. They also had other injuries and suspensions.

To think some Mayo supporters are taking them for granted is mental (and very typical of naive Mayo supporters going back to Tyrone 2021)

2 months ago Derry were favourites or there abouts for the all ireland .

Mickey Harte has been bringing teams to Castlebar for a lifetime and more than often getting a result or a performance.

Monaghan or cork would have been better draws for us.I despair when I have have look at the likes of the Mayo gaa blog and people think this is a handy draw.That kind of football intellectual understanding holds us back.

I have faith in Kevin and the lads though.

50/50 game,i hope we can do it.

• Advertisement

They are getting players back. There have seemed to be some discipline issues in the squad but that is fixable and whether there's any truth to the rumours of Harte losing the dressing room, you'd never really know tbh. I felt post the Westmeath match last weekend there was an attempt being made to put up a united front. There's very possibly a sting in them yet.

Advertisement