Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Panrich

Exactly. For all their woes in the round robin stages, and despite the fact that we were unbeaten in our games, we’re both at the same point now.
    Our home ‘advantage’ didn’t mean much during the league and they’ll be drawing from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I don't think any Mayo supporter is taking them for granted. I don't get that sense on here. Everyone is well aware that they are a decent side who on their day could/can beat us. If this was Mayo before the Dublin game, Derry would be slight favourites in most eyes. The Dublin game has changed things but was this a flash in the pan by us or are we onto something now… who knows and only time will tell, but you would have to give the nod to Mayo based on current form. That's all we can go on really against rumours/idle chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

This game will be a good test of Mayo's attacking play. They have struggled against a set defense, recycling the ball around the perimeter without much cutting edge. Derry more than any other team will give Mayo chances with players caught high up the field for quick breaks. Conroy and RoD could make hay, but they need to be decisive and pull the trigger when the chances are on

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭GBXI

I don't think Mayo fans are taking Derry for granted. However, Derry were comfortably beaten by Galway and Armagh both teams Mayo would see themselves as at least equal to. In my opinion, Mayo are definitely better than Armagh and only a fully fit (including Comer, Finnerty, Walsh, Kelly, and Tierney) Galway are arguably better than Mayo (and that's Mayo without Durcan). So, Mayo should beat Derry but Derry have very good players and Mayo will need to bring the same attitude as last week. Finally, I think Derry are somewhat resigned to their fate having lost 3 games already whereas if Mayo were to be knocked out next weekend it would be a monumental disappointment. That should give Mayo more motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Whatever about the Derry team that shows up, I hope Mayo are able to get up for this match - they put a lot into last week and looked (understandably) devastated at the final whistle. Hopefully they can "take the positives" from it and move on.

As mentioned above in relation to Hession, some of the selection decisions over the season have been a bit odd e.g. Hunt making his debut against NY and not being seen since; Swannie playing the full game against Roscommon but no gametime against Dublin, the same in reverse for Brick

If DOC is fit to start, I presume Darren McHale would be the one to drop out. If McLaughlin isn't fit, I'd like to see Hession start but it could just as easily be Loftus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭GBXI

MacLaughlin is fit, it has been confirmed.

I agree this management team have made strange selection decisions. They left Boland out last year, they started Brick in lots of games this year then he wasn't seen for the recent championship games until the Dublin game. Similar story as you say with Hession.

I think Boland will be successful with his appeal, then the management have another decision to make. McHale was very quiet v Dublin and his handpass to Aidan when Aidan would have been through on goal was criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Same team named:

Mayo Senior Football Team is as follows:

1. Colm Reape Knockmore
    2. Jack Coyne Ballyhaunis
    3. David McBrien Ballaghaderreen
    4. Donnacha McHugh Castlebar Mitchels
    5. Rory Brickenden Westport
    6. Sam Callinan Ballina Stephenites
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin Westport
    8. Stephen Coen Hollymount Carramore
    9. Matthew Ruane Breaffy
    10. Tommy Conroy The Neale
    11. Darren McHale Kmockmore
    12. Jordan Flynn Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    13. Aidan O’Shea Breaffy
    14. Jack Carney Kilmeena
    15. Ryan O’Donoghue Béal an Mhuirthead

SUBS:

1. Rob Hennelly Raheny
    2. James Carr Ardagh
    3. Enda Hession Garrymore
    4. Conor Loftus Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    5. Cillian O’Connor Ballintubber
    6. Diarmuid O’Connor Ballintubber
    7. Eoin O’Donoghue Béal an Mhuirthead
    8. Pádraig O’Hora Ballina Stephenites
    9. Michael Plunkett Ballintubber
    10. Paul Towey Charlestown Sarsfields
    11. Bob Tuohy Castlebar Mitchels

Eoin O'D is a man I'd love to see get some gametime although it's unlikely I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It must be frustrating for Eoin O'D not getting any game time. Himself and Plunkett are the only 2 of the subs who don't generally get game time. The rest get a few minutes here and there. Except of course for poor Rob Hennelly. He gets nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Westernview

I'd like to see EO'D get a run as well. Tough tackling defender who gets up the field for the odd score. Plunkett a solid option too.

When Rob was in goal no one else got a look in. Even for FBD games Horan kept playing him which I thought at the time was very unfair to Ruairi Byrne. It seems to be the nature of the position - keep playing the incumbent unless he gets injured or dips in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Nothing against EOD or Plunkett but they're well down the pecking order IMO. We've 7 defenders named to start with Hession and O'Hora on the bench. Even Loftus would be ahead of them since apparently he's considered a half back at the moment.

• Advertisement

Not sure how far ahead O'Hora is in the pecking order. Great warrior but a lack of pace was exposed last year against Dublin. Seems we may have better forward backup than defensive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Plunkett and EOD wouldn't be any quicker. They also haven't really played intercounty football in 2+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

Plunkett would certainly be quicker than OHora, possibly EOD as well but he's definitely a bit one paced, and it's not a fast pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Reape seems to be a nice mixture of Hennelly and Clarke so after all the debate on who was the best option between the two over the last 7 odd years, we have found a middle man who is solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ballina1953

anybody care to guess what the minutes silence is going to be for before tomorrow s match

could be done without most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭flasher0030

My Granny's 20th death anniversary is tomorrow. We can all stand in silence for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭spakman

Its a nice gesture, but yeah, they could probably tighten the "criteria" (without wanting to be too formulaic about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hennelly got more than enough chances, and cost us more than enough chances. The fact that he's even still on the panel speaks volumes about the standard of goalkeeping in the county.

Plunkett seems to have been on the panel (or the fringes of it) for the guts of a decade but only seems to get one or two league games every couple of years. On one hand, you'd wonder why he bothers putting in all that time and effort for nothing. On the other hand, you'd nearly admire his determination to stick it out. He's nowhere near getting a run in the Championship, barring an injury crisis though. Same for Eoin O'D. For whatever reason (I'm guessing size/physique), various managers don't seem to rate him good enough to play, just to fill out the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Some questionable recall at play there.

Michael Plunkett started 8 of our 9 games in '21, including all Championship games and an All Ireland Final. He also started 7 games in '22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭BandMember

My apologies on that one! However, his performances clearly didn't stand out as I couldn't remember him playing at all… Overall though, how many years has he been on the panel and how many games has he played per year? I'm not being vicious here, I'm genuinely curious. Nothing personal against Plunkett either btw. As I said in my previous post, I don't know what to make of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Made his senior debut in 2017, his first year out of the 21s, so 7 years on the panel now.

43 appearances in that time (32 starts & 11 off the bench, with 10 points scored), with a bit over a year of potential appearances lost through injury.

Probably worth adding the context that during that time he'd have been competing with lads like Lee Keegan, Colm Boyle, Donie Vaughan, Paddy Durcan, Stephen Coen, Eoghan McLaughlin, Oisín Mullin & Enda Hession to be trying to force his way in. Can't imagine a worse window for trying to nail down one of those spots. Listening to lads that played with him like Boyler speak of him and you'll quickly see how highly they rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

They have seemed to have sorted out the back line with the leaky goals syndrome that they had going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Panrich

You had to go and say it. That’s the mockers put on the defence now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m nervous about this one. Not at all confident

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I normally sit across from the stand.But today my daughter is going and wants to sit in the stand..I see the tickets have seat numbers the tickets are for different sections..Can ya sit where ever ya want in stand or have 2 go by seat numbers..Yes iam nervous enough about this game ..hopefully get a good start and derry head s may drop.wont be easy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭HBC08

Non allocated seats for this so just buy a stand ticket and grab a seat that suits you.

Stand tickets are 25e,I'll sell you two for 40e if you like.DM me

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I have 2 tickets already..thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm also nervous.

It's the unknown.

At least with Cork or Monaghan you had a fair idea what to expect.

But it's the fear that Derry will click.

I don't think they have been "keeping their powder dry" or anything, they have just been poor, but they have been to two SFs on the trot, they are not a bad team suddenly.

Plus there is the Mickey Harte factor, more than once, particularly in the league admittedly he has stifled Mayo.

But then again maybe Harte is the problem.

It's so hard to figure.

Enda McGinley has a piece in RTE today, and he kind of implies that Derry will not be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat the way Harte did with Tyrone back in 2008.

But he also talks about Mayo's tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't think that's very true.

Since 2011 Mayo have very rarely lost to teams at their level or below them at this stage of the competition.

The obvious outlier is Kildare in 2018 and the 2021 final was a disaster from early on in the game, but in knock out football Mayo have taken care of teams at their level, and certainly never lost games to lesser opposition from a leading position.

• Advertisement

MIld but quite breezy day in Castlebar. The wind will likely be a factor so it will be interesting to see how each team deals with it.

Advertisement