Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭SophieLockhart

All over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Better to go out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Awful way to go out but in reality it probably about right. Certainly wouldn't have liked to get a trimming in Croke Park.

It's time to roll the managerial dice again. The current setup has added very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭maximus15

Poor management. Subs on the whole were poor . Build up was predictable as usual. Like dublin again we attack for about 10 mins with pace , do damage and then resort to lateral crap . Carr was worth a chance . Nothing to lose bringing ruane and o shea back on in 2nd half of extra time but wouldn't have balls to take either o connor off again .

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Westernview

Great effort but we effectively lost it last week on Cluxtons last kickout. We still had chances to win it in normal time today but it felt very laboured. I think fatigue was a big factor.

I disagree with comments on OShea and Ruane. Both were obviously spent or else they'd have reappeared. GPS info would show that they had ran their race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Disappointing to lose like that esp after doing well to get back level in ET. Should have closed it out in normal time really though

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cillians mentality and what he has brought for over a decade being appreciated a bit more by many tonight
    Going to be hard to replace him and Aido. Every replacement is a significant downgrade
    Hope they stay on

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Considering the O Connor’s scored 2 of the 3 pens we got it’s a good job we didn’t take them off

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well balls to that.

I've been pretty down on this team all year, I don't think they have anything special to offer that would set them apart and make them real contenders.

But last week put a pep in my step after a very good display v Dublin.

But tonight was back to the same.

All week I thought about how Tyrone played Mayo in the first game of the 2015 league in Castlebar, and this seemed the very same.

This inability to break down a massed defense.

Surely someone in Mayo can come up with a solution to it, and to find or train players to get through it and score something better than 0-3 in a full half of football.

But it's been going on for a decade.

Throughout the first half I was realizing the reason they played so well against Dublin was because Dublin let them play, but an awful lot of teams will not let them play.

Anyway rant over.

Minors are playing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

There was 2 mins left in injury time when he took ado off and we were a point up. Utter madness by Mc stay. That's when you needed a player to retain possession and hold onto ball like o shea can. Not take the guy off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

This is it. If there was 10 minutes left and he had nothing left to give, then fair enough. But 2 mins left and the game in the melting pot...

Ruane as well boggles the mind. He was having a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭maximus15

With right sub selection then penalties wouldn't have been needed and thats all they did when came on .

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Westernview

You're basing that on the idea that winning possession is the only skill needed in the dying minutes of a game. If his legs were gone his marker could advance up the field untracked. A fresh player would perform that role more effectively. Big players on other teams are often taken off near the end of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pity Rochford couldn't have convinced McStay of another Hennelly moment just for the penalties. He's way more imposing and a better shot stopper than Reape.

Watching the two warm up before the game, we could have done up Hennelly up front because he was drilling goal after goal past Reape.

Hopefully McStay walks away, he hasn't brought anything really. I think it's time to go outside the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Disappointing outcome but overall probably a fair result. We perhaps got the penalty this week that we should have got last week and probably wouldn’t have been still in the game at the end of normal time but for it. I don’t think we could have asked more from that team than they could give. Aido was gassed and Mattie was taken off last week as a result of an injury and playing 6 days later. The scheduling of games is the issue but that’s the same for all teams, I think it’s too much to be asking amateur players but I don’t think the GAA actually given a shite about much other than whatever can raise the most money anyway. I don’t think management have much to answer here given the teams - we drew with the all Ireland champions and the league champions and lost to the Connacht champions, and on all 3 occasions in the last kick of the game. Thats sport - it’s cruel at times but that’s how it goes. I’m not sure a chance on management is warranted unless it’s an improvement on current and I think we saw from those that applied the last time around we got the best available. Unless someone better is putting their hands up for the job (they aren’t, by the way) then we have to make do with the unit we have. The average age of the team is quite young and we have made progress this year, just didn’t get the breaks we needed. I do think there is more to come from them and I hope that we can maintain a bit of continuity into next season.
    Fair play to Derry they answered their critics. It will be interesting to see how they progress, and how they fare out in the draw on Monday.

Not a bad shout on Hennelly for the penos actually.

I think we've made a certain amount of progress this year though and I'd be happy enough with mcstay doing another year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

go away out of that with the logic talk. There’s no place for that sort of reasonable consideration here.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

He's halfway through his contract now

He will get another year imo, but will need it to be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Well it went exactly as I predicted, Roscommon, Galway through and Mayo out. You can call me mystic Man vs ManUre becos I predict these tings!! Goodnight from the 5th moon of Neptune.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I think we'll just call u manure ,seen as you talk such shIte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rn

As a Rosie visiting. Amazed yer forwards were so poor today, when ye were so good against us, Dublin and Cavan. Really that was lost in first half. Very disappointing loss really, I'd have put my house on ye beating a team that struggles past Westmeath. Especially at this business end of championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gb99

He has never delivered, needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gb99

Here we go again, as if new mgmt will magic up an all Ireland winning side. The players stent up to it, needs a clear out.

Yeah, awful flat in the 1st half and theast quarter as well tbf. Maybe deflated after last week

Savage win for ye're lads, probably should have won by more if anything. Hope ye get a decent draw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I don’t get his mentality of looking for the manager to go, or picking on the players after that. Fair play to them for drawing with Dublin last week and giving their all today, refusing to give in.
    With Mayo drawing with Dublin last weekend and only losing a Connacht final narrowly to Galway previous to this, they shouldn’t be in this position the GAA put them in. They and Dublin should be in the quarter finals. Their reward for finishing 2nd in their group was a crap draw for a Micky Mouse game the GAA dreamed up called a “preliminary” quarter final against teams that should be knocked out in the group stages. The whole thing is a joke. Mayo people need to learn how to stick by their players and manager more and stop asking for people’s heads after narrow defeats this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

But they couldn't win the Galway game, the Dublin game or the "Mickey Mouse" game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭rn

I'd agree. I think it's unfair to blame players and management when you go out on penalties. And the Galway game was a narrow defeat, drawing with Dublin is no easy task.

Different story if ye weren't at the races in games or were bet by cricket score or a mid table division 2 team.

Ye are gonna have to unearth some reliable forwards - even if ya can only spring them from the bench. Ye don't have a talisman. ROD isn't it. We've 2-3 more reliable, accurate forwards in Roscommon. Galway have same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

to be fair people will say penalties is an unfair way to lose a game , while it probably is , its no more unfair then playing another 10 minutes of extra time only to lose it by someone missing a 13 meter free or shot from play

its a hard way to leave the championship but its the nature of the beast in a 16 team championship every team is a contender nearly from today onwards

i think sam callinan has been the real find in this team this year especially last week against dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder was any consideration given to Reape taking a penalty, with him being a regular freetaker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Barlett

I don’t see any progress from last year - three game’s effectively ‘lost’ with the last kick of the game, woeful style of play, one good performance all year, a style of play that ensures almost every team is kept in the game until the end.

That’s a Derry team short on confidence and
    Mayo’s approach in the first half ensured they grew In confidence. It’s the style of play we have , it’s depressing to watch , ineffective & ensures we won’t be doing anything next year either.

Advertisement