Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options
1259260261262263265»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭BandMember

I don't think anyone wants a third Horan term, even Horan. While I'll always respect him for turning us into a constantly competitive team to be feared, he's proven enough times that he's not the man to bring us across the line. From some of the stories (from reliable sources, not wild pub talk or anything like that) I've heard about his involvement in the U-20's this year, it's clear he'll never change his ways…. Time to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boosabum

Where would the elsewhere be, out of curiosity ?

No real heir apparent waiting in the wings.

Seems "the coaching ticket" is the telling factor in making the manager appointments.

No faith in K MC myself so happy to see change also, maybe one of the successful club managers will get a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Westernview

Its true he will never change. But i don't think it matters much what management we have at this stage. We have seen the coaching ticket versus the single coach Horan option. The more the years go by the more i see the problem being underage coaching.

Up to 200 kids involved in development squads and we can't produce a left footed free taker or a third midfielder to come in from the bench. The latest minor team were the next great hopes but ultimately outclassed by Armagh.

Decision making and lack of leadership have cost us the Connacht Final and the games over last 2 weeks. This also reflects issues from underage coaching. It's too late for senior players to learn these things. What new management would overcome these issues?

"Decision making and lack of leadership have cost us the Connacht Final and the games over last 2 weeks" - eh, what about the baffling substitutions by McStay that caused nothing but disruption to the team and our flow in the game? I'd argue that he has a lot of questions to answer. Also the baffling selection decisions and constant chopping and changing, impossible to get a settled team with all the disruption. It showed as players didn't seem to know what was going on or whether they were coming or going.

What you call 'baffling substitutions' I call 'substitutions'. If a player's legs are gone they are gone and a replacement is needed. O'Shea was still on the field against Dublin and Cluxton kicked it to a Dublin player away from O'Shea. The problem was the players didn't foul/halt Dublin from counter-attacking. And just a week later they still hadn't learned and kicked away possession. Mayo were leading into injury in the Connacht final, Dublin game and Derry game. Even if McStay and the management left the venue 10 minutes before it was over the players should have enough smarts to see out the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I helped spread that "misinformation" as they call it nowadays... got it wrong in other words. O'Shea was indeed on at the end vs Dublin, it was Ruane that was taken off for Bob very late on.

I had to double check myself as I wasn't sure if he had finished the game or not.

Where did I mention anything about O'Shea or the Dublin game? As anyone will tell you who has ever been involved with a team, when you make substitutions (especially a couple very quickly) you disrupt the rhythm and flow of your team and there can be confusion as to who is picking up who or what exactly their role is/they are supposed to be doing. It's one thing getting a pep talk before you go on, it's another thing when you actually get on the pitch - not to mention the players who haven't been privy to that pep talk knowing what's happening.

However, I would agree with you about the players not shutting down Kilkenny. He should have been put into the top row of the stand. We should have learned from what they did to us our kick out in 2017 and just took out anything that moved. We're too nice…….we will never learn (take your pick) but until we change, we'll never get across the finishing line.

Most of the discussion on subs has been on taking O'Shea off in the Derry game so I presumed that was what you referred to. I mentioned Dublin game as that was one he finished but they still didn't win. Regarding other substitutions well they will always cause a certain amount of disruption. So unless you don't make switches there will always be that.

I agree it seems we will never learn. Just doesn't seem to be part of our make up. Keegan throwing the gps in the 2017 final seemed to be the closest we ever got to that type of gamesmanship. Didn't work on that occasion but it's fine margins sometimes that win or lose it. This year our season hinged on that Kilkenny catch. Dublin would never allow a Mayo player to do that and also get the pass off. A last minute black card would be a cheap price to pay.

Taking off O'Shea against Derry was a mistake, he didn't look gassed to anyone. It was like a pre-meditated plan that they had to rigidly stick to (like other moves in other games). What I would call baffling substitutions is putting on Conor Loftus as a half forward (where he should be playing) in the first Roscommon game where he plays so well and kicks two points that he's been talked about as a starter there the next day, only for management to never play him there again for the rest of the season but deploy him instead as a half back where it's been consistently proven that he's not suited to playing there. All while natural half backs like Hession, Plunkett etc. sit on the bench. The mind boggles!

100% agree with your second paragraph though. Dublin would never allow it to happen (as they've shown before) and black cards would not have mattered at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

I wouldn't, but my hunch is that they will.

Its all too comfortable between the lot of them, even at boardroom level.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭GBXI

We spoke here before the game about how strange it was that Hession wasn't playing more often. When McLaughlin went off injured at half-time, Loftus replaced him. Despite him getting a good score from play in extra time, Derry did massive damage down the left wing and Loftus had a couple of bad turnovers (he is so weak in the tackle). How did they not think Hession would be a better replacement wing-back than Loftus?

Advertisement