Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I believe WMD is a fella originally from Swinford, has been living in London for some time now I gather. I won't put his full name here.

That particular twitter account was always responding and interacting with TOL's various accounts with the same stuff often times the only ones having the discussion, so it's not a stretch to say the 2 were connected.

*edited to include the bit in bold, and to correct some grammar.

Post edited by Blackjack on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MacDanger

WMD1967 should really get involved with his/her club so that they can be elected as the club CB delegate and then will have the opportunity to raise these questions at a CB meeting instead of posting them anonymously on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

It think I'll be staying away from this thread for a while if as it seems Tim and his Twitter friends have opened accounts on here.That sort of toxic shìte is the reason I left Twitter.

It's a shame as it was a decent Mayo community on here,we might not have always agreed on everything but for an online forum it was largely free of the dirt that we've seen the last few pages and I can imagine is only going to grow.

I've seen the exact same thing happen on Twitter and infiltrate a few other sites aswell.Its not just somebody with a different opinion to me (which I've no problem with) but a concerted and somewhat organised campaign from our friend in London and a few of his online buddies to spread disinformation and division.

I'm not going to engage as it only gives it oxegen.Pure poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

We can always stick to chat about the club game

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mayo man in london

sounds good to me! is it worth putting some money on knockmore to repeat last year success?

i pretty certain "our friend" no longer lives in london but i may be very wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Doesn't look a good bet at the moment! Big game v Charlestown coming up, it's on mayogaa TV.

Westport seem to be the most impressive team so far, but as we're coming into winter will bad weather on bad pitches cancel out their speed and skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

They are currently third in their group and may not make the quarter finals so you should get good odds anyway :)

big question is will cillian return for ballintubber this year? westport are the coming team but 2021 might be a little early for them especially as the weather turns. Breaffy will be there or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Can we really still say that Wesport are the coming team? Its 4 years since they got promoted to Senior!

• Advertisement

they are going to be a very tough nut to crack in 10 years time given the investment into the youth system and new pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Let us assume for a moment that these questions were addressed to Dublin County Board instead of Mayo. I would expect that most of 24 would be easily answered by them with exception of a few items.

Rather than reacting with horror and conspiracy theories we need to just coldly look at these questions and put them in their proper context.

I would put them under 4 general headings or 4 general questions

• Was there a well thought out and appropriately considered plan in place. (Points 1,2,3,8,9,17,19)
    • Was there an appropriate organisational structure (including rewards) in place (Points 5,6,7,9,10)
    • Were there agreed standards of organisational behavior in place and were these adhered to (Points 4,11,12,13,14,15,16)
    • Was there \ Is there a proper feedback \ learning structure in place (Points 3, 20,21,22,23,24)

(The only point I could not categorise was 18, as all counties are small, GAA scene is smaller still and unless 100% outsiders hard to avoid conflicts of interest. Neverthe less conflicts of interest still need to be recognised and managed as best as possible.)

Any organisation that cannot clearly and easily answer the above questions in the affirmative with supporting evidence needs significant improvement.

It would be interesting to see what reaction of County Board would be if a Club formally addressed these questions (or similar) to them. My expectation is that they would either ignore them, pooh pooh them or say that will be answered later following a comprehensive review, (which of course would never happen).

Lack of accountability and transparency in a public organisation is not a positive.

Agree with you but Clubs accept this situation year after year. If they are happy being completely subserviant to Senior County team there is nothing that can be done about this. Change will only happen when Clubs decide it needs to happen.

Lacken situation is sad (hard to believe but they used to be one of the best Senior teams in Mayo) but is a result of rural depopulation and there is not a lot GAA can do about this. Question is how long will it be before they fold or some other weak rural club in Mayo folds.

It's a PR battle.

Clubs want league games to be played, Horan doesn't, county board says play them, mass hysteria from the bandwagon to sack the board because the senior manager doesn't get his way and no all Ireland will be unless he does

Rinse and repeat.

Most powerful person is not mayo gaa chairman, it's mayo gaa senior football manager.

Difficult to change the narrative, maybe a few years in the doldrums again would reset the agenda

Horan needs to do a short interview to clear all the speculation and rumours. Only then can mayo fans attempt to put the final to bed and move onto 2022. Ed Mcgreal suggest the same in the Mayo News today

Mayo people should just stop riding the relentless baseless rumour train that follows Mayo everywhere.

My interest isn't in rumours, it's in accountability and delivering on resources.

Huge expenses going into the setup, all other football going on hold, repeated mistakes and failures but nothing changes.

Anyone else have a job where you are allowed free reign, to make the same mistakes and not see any consequences ?

Sure loookit, we'll move on....

Seriously. Some folks need to get a grip on reality. Tyrone have a stronger side and panel, just like Dublin in 20, 17, 16, 13, Donegal in 12, Kerry in 06, 04, and 97, Meath in 96 and Cork in 89.

Not once in any of the 11 finals have we had the stronger side. We are not producing the players, or specifically the right players in the right positions. That’s what needs to be resolved, the coaching of players from 8 to 20. Until then all Mayo managers will be working with weaker hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shrule are going well

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Cant see I agree with that. I keep reading that Mayo overachieved in getting to the final. The same was said last year, a team reaching a final 2 years in a row is clearly near the top in the country.

Tyrone on the other hand didn't look especially great in Ulster in my opinion, and could easily have been beaten by Donegal and Monaghan with a few different bounces.

If Mayo played Tyrone in an earlier round Id be fully confident of beating them. This was lost on the field and the sideline on the day, not in devlopmental years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly.

No one here was talking about Tyrone having a strong team and panel before 17:00 on 11/09/2021.

that defeatist attitude is the very reason why mayo are serial losers! Tipperary and Cavan both won provisional championships in 2020 with so called inferior teams. The best team on paper does not always win

churn and burn. start over again, make same mistakes, sulk for a month, blame everyone but ourselves and then go again. Repeat Repeat

Anyone care to make a stab at predictions for the weekend?

• Advertisement

Here is mine:

Senior: Ballintubber, Ballina, Westport, Ballagh, Charlestown, Belmullet, Breaffy, The Neale

Intermediate: Moy Davitts, Parke,Kilmaine, Kiltimagh,Mayo Gaels, Burrishoole, Castlebar B, Crossmolina

Junior: Kilmeena, Tourmakeady, Ballycastle, Shrule, Achill, Islandeady

Ballina, Ballintubber, Belmullet, Knockmore, Castlebar, Westport, Breaffy Kiltane

Where there is no transparancy rumours florish. There are 2 types of rumours those that are a complete fabrication and those that contain an element of truth (which some do). The difficulty is knowing which is which.

The Mayo rumour train has 2 carriages 1 for baseless rumours and 1 for those with a base. If you are outside the train difficult to know what passengers are in each carriage.

I am sure that all of us have had instances in our lives where we knew the correct version of a story that was doing the rounds but we could not prove it and \ or did not want to get involved with it.

In Ireland we have seen examples of where rumour mill was correct e.g. Charlie Haughey and where it was not e.g. Maurice Mccabe. In both cases it took a long time for truth to emerge because various people had a vested interest in keeping the truth hidden.

Senior: Ballintubber, Ballina, Westport, Castlebar, Knockmore, Belmullet, Draw Breaffy V Garry, Kiltane

Intermediate: Moy Davitts, Parke,Kilmaine, Louisburgh,Mayo Gaels, Hollymount, Ballyhaunis, Ballinrobe

Junior: Kilmeena, Tourmakeady, Kilcommin, Achill, Ballycastle, Shrule, Islandeady

Look at the players man for man. 9-10 of the Tyrone lads are just better.

We told ourselves that because they weren’t near as good as Dublin were up to last year, they weren’t any good. But the truth is we aren’t near as good as 17 either, and about 2 years behind Tyrone on the development curve.

• Advertisement

Leitrim have their new manager available now, ballagh out of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Respectfully, I think thats an easy call the day after the final. Not too many would agree the day before it.

Midfield is a key example. Predictions before varied as to who was better in attack and defense and off the bench, but just about everyone agreed Mayo had the midfield. Look how that turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I see Kilmovee have to make the trip down to Achill. Was fairly sure that common sense would prevail and it would have been switched to a neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Spotted that.

Was up in Bekan last night for Breaffy Garrymore. Neither team will be threatening for the top honours. Breaffy just ran the ball into contact all night and Garrymore were fairly wasteful. Garrymore should have come out winners but conceded a soft goal late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭gigantic09

James horan recorded interview with Tommy Marren tomorrow morning on Midwest. Played an excerpt now where he refuted any rift between him and his backroom team.

Colm Gannon tweeted that horan and McDonald were taking in a club game together yesterday, think it was the one in breaffy

Even though I am not a fan of JH, I don't think it is important if he had a row with back room team or not. Better than there are people in any management team willing to strongly argue their point and \ or walk when they strongly disagree with something rather than having a collection of nodding donkeys or yes men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭gigantic09

• Advertisement

Great team performance from Knockmore yesterday, hard to pick a MOTM, Reape, Flynn, Holmes, Naughton x2, Orme, Darren McHale and Pearse Ruttledge all were excellent but it was hard to pick a player who played poorly. Charlie Bourke was lively when he came on. Charlestown didn’t want to know about it, Holmes was all over Towey, O’Donnell was cleaned out at midfield.

Pearse Ruttledge really has to be next man onto the Mayo panel, very like Diarmuid O’Connor, great fielder, good at taking scores. Seàn Holmes also, like glue at the back with a nice nasty streak

Always nice to beat Charlestown. It’ll be a bigger test against Ballintubber, the loss of COC is massive for them.

Was at the ladies final this afternoon, absolutely awesome performance, better all over the pitch, first to every ball and kicked some unreal points. Shauna Howley got POTM but it could have been four or five players. Cora got the line for mouthing and not before time, she really does some amount of whinging. Very unfair on Carnacon having it in Ballina and coinciding with Ballintubber v Claremorris. 21 wins on the bounce is hard to believe, some players playing today weren’t born when that started

Delighted to have both senior titles in the parish, it’s a massive achievement for the club. Hopefully we can hold onto both for a while longer

Am I alone in thinking Knockmore v Ballintubber is the county final ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Westport breaffy being mine

Knockmore, tubber and Westport are the three best teams and one of them be gone before semi final stage. Depending on the draw, potentially a second one could be gone also. Winter football is a great leveller and usually teams with horsepower come to the fore

Didn’t hear the interview myself, but Mayo manager James Horan was on Midwest radio this morning. Anyone hear this interview?

Did I hear right that the Saturday games are on RTE? Great if that's the case.

Breaffy blessed with that draw, not to dismiss Belmullet but there was no chance of beating Tubber or Knockmore based on the weekends performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Just stop it, its embarrassing at this stage. Talk of over-achieving as an excuse for losing is the talk of serial losers. The ultimate get out of jail card, right up there with "the curse" in terms of stupidity.

No other county talks of over achieving bar some Mayo supporters such as yourself.

But I'll humour you on this one. Do you think Tyrone overachiveved in beating Kerry? Of course they didn't. They came up with a plan and executed it. They had a bit of luck as they did in the final but on balance deserved it. You can have a team of 15 all stars but if you have no plan like Mayo didn't in the final, you will lose all day long.

When you approach games with an "overachiever" mentality, you are already beaten.

Tyrone have been underdogs in every All-Ireland final they played in. When they lose you don't see them trot out the over achievement card. Because Tyrone is a county of winners, who see any defeat as underachievement. The same with Kerry, Dublin and Donegal. Contrast that with some Mayo fans.

If a team with a superior players successfully executes their game plan, it it not underachievement when you lose to them.

We consistently overrate our players. Taken as a whole they are just not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I wouldn't say Tyrone have a team of star players either. How many of them would you put on the Dublin or Kerry team?

Before this year their older players were good but certainly not great.

How many of the 2021 Tyrone team have All-Stars from previous years? And how many have Mayo?

On the Mayo team alone we have 2 young players of the year, Mullin and O'Connor (the other O'Connor injured). We also have a senior footballer of the year who will win another deserved All-Star this year. There's more than enough talent on this Mayo team to win an AI. We also have a manager with 7 years experience of competing at AI semi-final or above level including 3 finals and yet he was schooled by a couple of senior management novices.

Absolutely nothing can excuse the performance in this years final. It just wasn't good enough and very poor considering the resources, money, talent and experience available to the camp.

Advertisement