Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

How do we no there was no offer made to oisin we have to think of his girlfriend in this as well she might want to go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Indeed, lots of talk offers but how do you offer a lad a new life experience by asking him not to choose one ?

Young lads should travel as much as they can when they can enjoy it.

Some awfully miopic people looking to shape a lads future for him. Live and let live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

From a Mayo football point of view it's disappointing for sure but I wish him all the best.

Impossible opportunity to turn down for him imho...a chance to become a professional athlete in the prime of his life and live in Melbourne for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Dublin lost James Madden who set an all time speed test record for the AFL. He would most likely be starting for Dublin had he stayed. Dublin were lucky that Kilkenny couldn't hack it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Best of luck to Oisin. It has its risks for sure - the AFL has huge injury risks, more than GAA, and many who go out there (the majority in fact) don't make it. Here's hoping it works out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do these guys mostly intend to come back to Ireland? I reckon if I was going through the upheaval of moving to Australia, I'd be hoping and planning to build my life there, play a full career in Aussie Rules then get into coaching/media/sports admin/whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

He's 21,how many young lads think in those terms at that age?

When I was 23 I left Ireland to live on the other side of the world, my forward planning extended till the following weekend! No idea would I come back or not.

Most of the guys who go over come back,but you really don't know how home sickness and culture shock will effect you.My own opinion is he will be one of the few who make a career out of it over there (here,I'm currently in Oz) I would argue he been tracked for longer than any other Irish recruit (granted Covid played a part in that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whats the story with mayogaatv? Is it a private concern or are the Co Board behind it? Just looking now and its €28 for a weekend pass to watch all four senior and junior semis or €9 per individual game, that seems ridiculously dear. I know i can't and really shouldnt compare the two obviosuly but i can get two months of sky sports for a little less than that

That does seem steep but you could also see every game they show for €60 with a season pass. Apparently all people who bought a tile got the season pass for free, I bought a tile but didn't get an email, happily paid the €60 though its great value in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Buying the tile gets you a free season pass? First ive heard of it

• Advertisement

Yep apparently, lots of talk on the blog about it, somehow I didn't get it though.In fairness I was happy to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I paid the €28 this morning for the 4 matches. It's a little expensive alright, but as I'm watching the Mayo Gaels and Kilmaine match, haven't thought about the price since. Just glad to be able to see the games - I'm based in Dublin. It's only €7 a game. Not going to break the bank and it's over 4 hours of entertainment for the €28.

€15 entry plus travel costs for each game so €28 from comfort of your home ain't bad value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think the pricing at this stage is probably fair enough. The season pass is excellent value. I can see more opting for that next year, assuming they go with the same pricing structures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good win for Balla today - another season at Senior level will give the club a chance to build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Ah im not moaning really, just wondering who is behind it and what the business model is? I watched the Manchester derby today from the comfort of my own home, it was absolutely shite but i can get Sky Sports for a month for less than half the cost of the weekend pass. Obviously it's ridiculous to compare the two but i'm curious as to who is behind it and what the plan is etc? I'll pay €9 for the senior semi tomorrow, wont cost me a thought but hey for watching live amatuer sport on TV it's bloody expensive

Mayo gaa tender it out.

Tried to run their own streams but were having lots of technical issues and resulted in negative feedback.

Multiple refunds had to be issued over streams going down and Joe public cloud not understand why something some clubs were able to do for free (stream via Facebook or YouTube) could be so difficult behind a paywall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Well done to Knockmore, I didn't get to see the game but sounded like a good game to set them up for a final. Hate to say it but I think they're head and shoulders above the pack and it's extremely hard not to like them as a team. Seem like a bunch of hungry, hard working, honest and talented lads.

Huge win for Balla, staying up in the first year is a big achievement and something to build upon.

Ya, I know what you mean. Guess it depends on what you're focused on really. I don't have skysports. Doesn't interest me. Not much interest in the premiership. Match off the day does me fine. I wouldn't take 2 hours out of my middle of the day time to watch a premiership match on Sat or Sunday. Snooker and Formula 1 are generally on the other Sky channels. I'd watch bit of the Champion League matches at night time. So for me, I wouldn't be compering between value watching one weekend of GAA matches versus a month of Sky sports. It's a no-brainer for me. I'd take a low junior B game before watching a full soccer game anymore. And I'm not that old-school. Played soccer at fairly high level in Mayo and Dublin. It might be a cliche - but there are just too many prima donnas in the game now to take it serious. Pogba, Neymar etc.

Anyway, back to the GAA. Garrymore/Knockmore game was pretty good, up until Knockmore went the 6 points ahead. No way back for Garrymore after that. Although they did miss an open goal at the end. Player wanted to take the netting off for dramatic effect and kicked it wide. Could have just rolled it in. Would have made it interesting then. The level of football in that game was some quality. Massive difference in that than the Mayo Gaels/Kilmaine match earlier. That wasn't great in fairness. Mayo Gaels several levels ahead of Kilmaine. Looking forward to the other intermediate and senior semi final today.

Slattery guy for Garrymore looks good. And for Knockmore, Dempsey looks like he has plenty of talent in the drawer, and decent physique to give intercounty a run. Orme was tracked by Hession - kinda cancelled each other out. I didn't realise Caolan Crowe was such a big man. Very decent player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm hearing there's nothing signed as regards Oisín and he's very much leaning towards staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

That’s quite the shock today but I suppose at this stage we shouldn’t be shocked by Belmullet, they’ve beaten the two finalists from last year and this year’s favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would have made some money on the quarter final and semi final predictions if I was a betting man. 6/6 with plenty of high odds.

Fair play to Belmullet, Westport a little bit overhyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

That's a bit like knowing all the answers on Who Wants to be a Millionaire as you are supping yer cuppa tae at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heard it last night but heard from a few lads close enough to Mullin that he is staying !

God bless those bank jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Must be a sperm bank job, otherwise he's a fool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Whatever decision he makes, it's his own decision for his own reasons, and he shouldn't be called a fool for it.

But having said that, if he does decide to stay (which would be great for Mayo obviously) it would be a massive opportunity to turn down.

Post edited by spakman on

He also has a GF who may not want to uproot her life

Anyways that’s the latest rumor. It’s certainly far from a done deal that he is going

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

My heart would like to see Belmullet winning a County Final but my head says that Knockmore will win easily. It is good that Senior football is recovering in North Mayo after years in the doldrums and playing second fiddle to West Mayo teams. Hopefully Crossmolina will get back into senior ranks soon and Ballina will improve.

Nice to have the two teams there but let’s not lose the f**king run of ourselves

• Advertisement

Good luck to the young man

Just seen that

Fair play to him for taking the risk. Would have been mad really not to give it a go for at least a year.

basically a very well paid gap year if it doesn’t work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sad to see a player of his calibre leave the county panel, but it couldn’t be for a better reason and I’m really pleased for him to get this opportunity, fair play to him for taking it.

I hope he makes a big success of it down under, but even if he doesn’t, he’ll likely return in better shape than he left, such is the workload of an AFL rookie.

I’m looking forward to seeing who can replace him in the starting 15, no shortage of young, talented defenders in the county to rise to the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

No home games in McHale for the league next year. No word on any fixtures yet?

That's it, best of luck to him! It was great to have him for the last few years in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Saw yesterday that they could be playing all their games away for the year as no other pitch in the county has the capacity to host Mayo matches such is the following of the team.

if I am not mistaken only options in Province are Roscommon, Tuam & Galway. Would it not be better to have a smaller crowd in Ballina than any of these options. If Ballina can cope with a County Final I am sure it can cope with a league game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Was at the belmullet v Westport game last weekend. As a somewhat neutral (Herself is a belmullet woman) it was a serious game to watch. Very impressed with how belmullet played on the edge constantly. Theres not too many teams would fancy meeting them. Hardy B4st4rds!

You were one of the mouths on here giving out about the CB,elite performance and a whole lot else since the final (don't remember you on here much before that)

You think it's a good idea for the CB to just ignore our huge (and largely unique) revenue stream from massive attendances at league games? Genius,let's play them in ballina where we can't even fit in all our season ticket holders,never mind away fans and other Mayo fans. We've had attendances of twice the capacity of ballina at fbd in recent years ffs.

Those same league games get 10k to 15k depending on who we're playing,no other County outside of maybe Dublin has that kind of advantage, you think its a good idea to scupper that?

Where do you think the money comes from to pay for elite level stuff? Typical hurler on the ditch,clueless as you've demonstrated many times on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I very much doubt Tuam has the capacity for Mayo games either? Galway haven't played Mayo in the league there in recent years for capacity reasons.

I think Sligo would be a good shout,nice little stand and good modern terraces, capacity about 16k ,we could get a great atmosphere going there.

I was at a game in Tuam in August.The new bucket seats are nice but are uncovered and there's only a few hundred of them.The rest of the ground is falling down and would be very grim in winter.Also the pitch would be very heavy at that time of year,it's not a great pitch in general.

I really hope they don't choose Pearse Stadium,it's a nice ground but a nightmare to get in and our of.The less said about Hyde Park the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sorry about that folks.

My source was very close to the man himself.

He's a huge loss obviously but I wish him well.

You're only young once.

Between 1995-2007 Ballina \ Crossmolina \ Knockmore won 12 of 13 finals, between 2008-2019 they won none while Castlebar \ Ballintubber won 9 of 12 finals. If latter period was not the doldrums for North Mayo teams then how would you describe it. West Mayo teams were as dominant over North Mayo as 9-0 county final score suggests in recent years. In addition North Mayo teams only made the final in 2 of these years. Knockmore's win last years and probable win this year (IMHO) definately represenst a resurgance of senior football in North Mayo.

I’m not arguing it wasn’t. Im saying I’m happy enough with where Ballina and Crossmolina are currently. In fact if Ballina were down with Cross it would be even better

OK I get it, but if they were both Intermediate, Knockmore would never experience the satisfaction of regularly beating both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Inter county league fixtures for 2022 to be published this week.

Anyone know how to get tickets for the club final. Can't see anything online

• Advertisement

Cheers. When I went to buy, it said that tickets are locked. Maybe it's only through clubs!!! Would there be such large demand. Hope it doesn't sell out. Was really looking forward to it.

Advertisement