Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

This. All year we've have chances like this go wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm sorry, maybe my point was poorly made.

The team I'm talking about is Galway.

Really wanted to get to the final, and win it, but lost by a point, still not winning knockout games in Croke Park etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Avon8

You think a county that has 3 (THREE) all Irelands in 130 years and had grown men crying in the stands after the 2019 win, didn't want to win today? Didn't want to win a national title? Against a county with all Ireland coming out their ears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think tactically Kerry are much more solid now & have moved on from last year , we have just the one way of playing & thats Horanball & when it’s in full flight it’s fabulous. But at this stage, we’ve been at it so long, I can’t see it unlocking the door . I have no doubt we’ll give it a decent rattle again this year but I don’t see enough from the league to believe it’s going to end any ways different.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭briandebum

Galway weren't too bothered to win that today, promotion was more the aim this year. Think Shane Walsh may have got more than 20 minutes if we were desperate for a win. Still won't be heading up to Castlebar with much hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

This is madness, Kerry could do that to most in the country, Mayo have tons of injuries at the moment too, I wouldn't be too worried once you get the injured sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

I said before the game coen at 3 was a disaster and sure enough he was dont no what has happened to him but I hope he gets back what he has lost.can see him being dropped for galway.

Any news on Jordan and mullin ??

No point going through the rest it was a hiding of all hidings.

For all we have blooded it will still be as you are from last yr bar jordan if he is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

As a neutral, I actually think, this performance might stand to Mayo.

They won't go down with such a whimper in any AI game. They have players to come back in.

Kerry might go away thinking everything is rosier in the garden, than it actually is.

League wins count for little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

A ball dropping off the post cost us in the 2012 final. Cillian hit the post in the 2016 replay and no one near the bounce. I might be off but I counted through the beer 4 post strikes today. Why dont Mayo players pounce on these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭MacDanger

3 of them, we weren't even close. In fairness to Loftus, he was inches away from gathering the other one, the bounce just beat him by fraction

• Advertisement

They won't go down with such a whimper but they still won't win an All Ireland either.

I remember watching a docudrama about the Titanic back 10 years ago.

The designer of the ship is brought down to see the water leaking in after the ice berg collision.

Even though there is very little water leaking in he asks how many compartments are taking water.

When he hears the answer, he simply says "she's in the noose of the hangman"

As in that's it, nothing can be done about it, the sinking was inevitable.

Mayo are the same this year, not winning an All Ireland is inevitable.

They don't have enough players of the required quality in the required areas to win it.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Don't get caught up in that tripe. When we were beating Kerry, they never laid down and took it bareback like we did today. Shame on the management team. Abysmal, if that happened in Kerry or Dublin heads would roll. If it happened in soccer the manager would already have resigned. In this forum we applaud such a greivious hiding under the guise of "it will stand to them" and other BS like that. There is never a moral victory in losing. Nothing good ever comes from losing. Another day out with no tactics. Another day where AOS thinks he can bull thru opposition and do absolutely nothing. Byrne is an able replacement to hennelly - certainly capable of replicating hennellys bad days anyway. Keegan and ohora on the pitch with their kids like what they did wasnt to be ashamed of. By duck Horan better hope he beats Galway... Mayo co. Board should start looking for their new manager now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Not sure what Keegan has to be ashamed of. O'hora on the other hand....

Nothing on the individual to be fair, and I don't mean to player bash, but the collective effort was terrible. When Kerry we going thru the change, they were always competitive, today's was so shambolic, that 1-16 should have been strictly new players. That's the only thing that would have improved the outcome

Yeah, Coen is playing v poorly, very close to getting dropped I'd say. A man marking job on Conroy (not a speedster himself) might be a good role for him the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think we had the players last year and i still think we have the players this year too if we get all the injured back, but we don't have the manager to win one!

I don't think we have a back that could actually handle Clifford in the form he is in now, is there a back in the country that could? I think O'Hora could have done better but again, i put the blame on Horan for not having a good enough plan to deal with Clifford. Surely you can't be leaving him in one on one situations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A very flat, leggy, lethargic performance from start to finish.

Durcan and Mullin not starting is like ripping the engine out of the team...we had zero forward impetus from our own half.

As someone else mentioned the only potential upsides were Carr kicking a couple of decent points and Cillian O'Connor getting a few minutes of "action".

Any news yet on Jordan Flynn...a few lads around me at the games were convinced he'd broken his leg at the time so while relieved to see him walking off I wouldn't be shocked to hear if he's out for a while.

Kerry on the other hand looked like a team in peak condition...they won't have another serious game until the Quarter Finals so I guess they may have been targeting this game more than us (??)

re: Galway and Roscommon - a decent match with almost zero wides. The Rossies should have won it comfortably but ran out of gas and let Galway back in.

Comer didn't do much and Walsh was quiet when he came on.

Both teams are potentially dangerous to Mayo and could do damage if we're as passive and flaccid as we were against Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

It wasn't the manager's fault we missed 4 goal chances in the final last year.

I think a big part of the problem we had with Clifford was that he was getting top quality ball nearly every time - there was zero pressure on the ball being played in. If we play 1:1 inside, the middle 8 players need to be putting pressure on the kickers and this just wasn't happening; Geaney took Keegan for 4 points from play for the same reason IMO.

Even when Kerry were down to 14, they still outscored us in that 10 min period when you'd have expected we might have put them under some pressure.

The likes of Durcan and Mullin may have been able to get on top of their half forward line which would have slowed up the ball being played in.

That's true, but just like yesterday, the manager failed to react and try to change to plan B shake things up a bit when they're not working. And just like yesterday there was no plan for the danger men, we all knew how Tyrone were going to set up, just like kerry didn't do anything different yesterday!

Mentality also has a big part to play in Mayo's inability to win it.

For 17 years I convinced myself that if Mayo just came up against a "lesser" opponent in a final they would finally win it.

And when I say "lesser" I mean someone other than a Kerry team of a decade in 2004 and 2006, or a juggernaut Donegal in 2012, or a team of the century Dublin in 2013, 2016 and 2017.

And then they came up against that "lesser" team in 2021 they collectively failed to even reach their normal level never mind exceed it and make history.

What would plan B consist of, create another 2 or 3 goal chances? Surely if you think the players are good enough, they'd convert enough to win the game?

• Advertisement

Yep it's hard to know what the problem is. We generally performed well in most of the recent finals before last year. Maybe the favourites tag weighed heavier than being rank outsiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ethical

Mayo never wanted to be anywhere near a League Final.This was eveident after Div.1 status was assured after the early matches.

Its no good having a go at the management and players this morning other than to ask why wasnt Gavin Whites marker changed after 2 minutes as he was running riot.It took Ryan O'Donoghue to curtail him back on his own goal line albeit the team conceding a goal in the process.Of course Horan did not want to show his hand to all and sundry this early with Galway coming up. Lee Keegan did the man marking job for many years ( Remember his battles with Diarmuid Connolly!!) and would have sorted Clifford and indeed White if given the chance.....but that would be showing what we might do later on in the year and may not be as effective then as other counties would have already seen it and have perhaps a remedy for it.

We did not have our strongest team available.Kerry ,more or less did,except for the huge whole left by Seánie Ó'Sé. We were lucky yesterday he didnt play!

Jack O'Connor is ruthless! You saw that a few weeks ago when he gave the two fingers to the GPA and came on TV for an interview rather than standing with his players .....as James Horan did. He would go down a sewer for a penny.

Kerrys defence looked better than they actually are.If they had Durcan and Mullin running at them perhaps it would have made them think twice about tearing forward at the rate they did.

Unfortunately Coen, as Captain, has not clicked yet.He should be given one more chance against Galway.Remember he has delivered All Ireland success to a number of age groups as captain so he must have something and it must be time for him to deliver now.

Ryan O'Donoghue has carried the forward line all season.I laughed to myself when Cillian O'Connor came on yesterday and wondered (wrongly) who would take the next free should Mayo get one!!!! I neednt have bothered.Perhaps Cillian will slot in and mean we will have another forward we can count on....and I'm not talking about taking frees for self preservation status!

Aidan O'Shea put in a workmanlike performance,from being back on his own goal line to trying to lead the way forward.I'm sure his GPS reading was of high mileage by the end of the match.

Mayo are a very limited team and this was shown yesterday when we did not have some of our 'regulars' available.Yes ,there are good young lads coming through,buts thats how it is they are still coming through and as others said they are not quite ready yet.

Beat Galway and all this from yesterday will be forgotten.Everyone knows that the amount of money Mayo people pay into the GAA is phenomenal every year and no doubt CP HQ will be hoping we get to the final again. Indeed do they care if we ever won it,as long as we are there,perhaps its the same with our own County Board....its a case of being there and spending the dollars ...sometimes I get the impression that the Co.B dont give a fcuk........remember the money keeps coming in ...as long as we get to the final shake up!

Don't know what it is, but they need to get over it.

It's hard to keep defending them against being called "bottlers" when they do what they did on 9/11.

By the way, is there any story about why Mullin was out yesterday or is the camp so secretive that we should not even ask ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Did you expect people to be offered a refund? How would that work? Or do you just like slobbering on a forum?

"I don't mean to player bash" but thats exactly what you are doing. Cheap shots at O'Hora, Keegan & Byrne. Classic armchair footballer, likely couldn't kick snow off a rope but well able to put the boot in.

The talk about O'Hora mouthing missed why he was at it, Clifford was having a go at one of our lads who was down injured. O'Hora got hung out to dry, left man on man with acres of space around him, no one in the country could hold Clifford in that scenario

Disappointing day, you'd hope they'll learn from it. The full back line is a major problem, even with Keegan back there we are just too loose, they butchered a lot of chances in the first half. Big talk about McBrien, was disappointed not to see him yesterday. Harrison a massive loss.

Decision making further up the pitch is poor too, Flynn had Loftus outside him in space at one stage in the first half, shot instead. Loftus should have palmed that ball that dropped off the post rather than trying to catch it. Carney taking the wrong option repeatedly. Not sure how you coach that out of lads.

I heard Mullin missed out due to illness, but not sure how accurate that is.

• Advertisement

I would be more thinking Plan b should consist of stopping the opposition score a second goal in the case of the All IReland last year. But my point is there is never a plan B, its hard to see what Plan A is sometimes.

To Fr Tod's point, they can't seem to play to their best in the finals. Surely the manager shares some of the blame in that case?

For the 2nd goal last year we were already behind in the second half of an All Ireland final. It made sense to push up on Tyrone and try get back into the game. In fairness it was a brilliantly worked goal by them. Not to labour the point, but if we'd taken a couple of our chances earlier in the game we'd have been ahead at the time so could have dropped off more defensively.

Of course management take some of the blame but personally I think their part was minimal in that final.

On yesterday, we were down to the bare bones in defense especially. Even someone like Bryan Walsh would have been better able to deal with white's runs in the first half, but he's injured too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yes late in the build up too

Im assuming yday morning

Thats a bit disruptive but no excuse for yet another example of Horan being tactically out thought and failing/refusing to react

It remains our biggest problem

I don't get this "not showing ones hand" stuff.

You talk about Horan not putting Keegan on Clifford or White so that he could use it sometime later.

I'm sure that Jack O'Connor and every other manager in the land is aware that at some stage Keegan could be on Clifford or White and would have planned in some shape or form for such a situation.

They don't have to see it happening to believe it could happen.

The thing about the league and especially the latter stages of the league is that they are a decent indicator of where teams are at.

There is not much turning on of a switch that can be done at this stage to jump start a team into gear.

Right now Mayo are a top three team that can go deep in the championship but that have deficiencies in attack and at the back that will prevent them from winning an All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't think we'll see Lee Keegan being used as that go-to man anymore for marking the opposition dangerous player. At least not in the full back line anyway. Doesn't have the speed for that now. In the full back line, need to have great acceleration of the mark, and good speed to get the hand out in front of the forward who is making the run for the ball.

Jason Foley is deceptively fast. There was couple of times where it looked like the Mayo forward was favourite for the ball coming in. But Foley was able to break it up somehow. And the Kerry Diarmuid O'Connor is another deceptively effective player. For a tall lanky type player, has great skills and speed on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I made a point of mentioning it after the Dublin league game this year. It didn't cost us that day and it wouldn't have made much of a difference yesterday but it's amazing that the management haven't reacted to this. Been going on for years.

As daft as it sounds, I actually think O'Hora did a decent job on Clifford...

I spent the first half entrailed by their battle and he did as well as any could imo. Clifford is just an unbelievable player.

I didn't watch the match back and I couldn't see the two of them as will in the second half but it seems O'Hora came across very poorly.

Any management sending any one defender out to mark Clifford is going to make a show of that defender. On days like yesterday when the lads out the field had all the time in the world to play balls into him/space, he's unmarkable.

Management should be addressing that mid game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Nahhh, nothing daft there. I fully agree.

O'Hora did as well as anyone would have in the circumstances. We were destroyed with the speed and energy in the middle 8 (or 12 a lot of the time), not with just Clifford inside. When you give a player that talented that amount of low pressure ball where he wants it he's going to put up a decent score and cause problems. Not sure Oisín, Lee or Paddy would have done any better in a 1 for 1 swap with O'Hora. I'd happily square them up again if we do have a third meeting this year, just with a lot more speed and pressure happening around them.

The negativity seems to be all about the mouthing O'Hora was doing. Big break in play where Jordan had taken the big hit in the chest from Barry (can't remember if Clifford himself was in and around the action there?) and went over nastily on his ankle (fingers crossed it isn't as badly strained or damaged as it looked like it might be - he was the one that looked to be carrying the fight in the first half) which the cameras focused in on. That followed relatively shortly after by Clifford breaking past him for a fantastic goal, acknowledged by O'Hora, gave plenty of folks something to mouth off about without any sort of indication what was being said, how questionable it might be and if it was crossing any lines. Seems to have gotten more negative attention than eye gauging or punches have in other games.

Probably no harm. O'Hora seems the type that will be motivated by that sort of craic and helps keep negative attention off some of the lads less able and more deserving of the criticism.

Losing Eoghan and Oisín from the squad before throw in had us on empty for bodies. The only defensive option left on the bench was Donnacha McHugh and while he offers incredible potential and has done well in games this early in his career he's certainly one for the future rather than hoping to be thrown in yesterday. That said, I absolutely would have after about 10 minutes.

Again, match ups looked astonishingly poor. White and Paudie Clifford ran rampant in that first half with Loftus and Coen looking stuck in slow motion relative to their opponents. I'm not sure what specific job they'd asked Hession to do in his sweeper role as he didn't look to be putting pressure on Clifford receiving it, putting pressure on the folks providing it or picking up runners coming through. Though we were so blown away in the middle with both pace and energy (Jason Foley's untracked burst for the final goal epitomised the whole game for me) I'm not sure it was possible to cut out the runners. Whatever the plan there was, it failed. Badly.

The difference in speed, energy and physicality was worrying.

The hard tackling (when just 1 on 1, not even the hunting in packs stuff) we had in the past under Donie Buckley seems well gone as a team trait and now simply held by a few of the elder statesmen (Lee, Cillian and Aidan stand out a mile for their ability and desire to tackle these days) and the odd individual like Ryan or Jordan. Kerry under Talley and O'Conner are at a whole other level there, right across the whole squad. I can't quite tell if it's a question of execution and coaching or if it's a tactical switch to drop off, not push the turnover and protect the goal instead by not commiting... but either way it's visible and disconcerting.

The speed issues can somewhat be excused with absentees, but when the likes of Doc and Ryan are struggling to get a single yard on their men it's troubling. We looked as stale and sluggish as we did against Tyrone. Most of us wrote that one off as heavy training, prepping for Championship and low priority of the league. Just 3 weeks away from the game in Mac Hale park the lads shouldn't be looking that far off the pace, energy and sharpness you'd expect.

Great to see Cillian grab a point and McHale get to stretch his legs for a few minutes after such long lay offs. Byrne made some fantastic saves that'll help his confidence, though some of the restarts were very disappointing. Plunkett, again, looked good. I'm happy admit I'd written him off as a defender this year after playing up top most of the year at club and couldn't have been more wrong. From the second half of the Dublin game on he has been outstanding and seems to be growing in confidence. A struggle to pull those positives though, we're in "well it might help keep folk grounded" territory and far more niggles and worries to take from a very disappointing performance.

I think it was mental quickness rather than athletic quickness that was the difference yesterday. Far too often a Mayo forward was slowing down when they were about to receive the ball, letting their defender get a hand in or to get in front. The kind of stuff that would frustrate you if a kid was doing it. For all the skill between Clifford and Geaney, they go flat out until they have that ball won.

The main things that stood out for me:

Kerry was far the hungrier, they showed real championship pace and desire.

There's a quick but somewhat structured style to Kerry's build-up play that allows the lads inside their freedom. It's definitely not laboured but you know it has been worked on. Ball out to the edge of the 45, mainly the left, looped runner then a short pass to a runner or someone to let it in quick to the lads inside. It was happening over and over again. Everyone was on the same level and runners were making runs at the right time because they knew what was most likely going to happen. We on the other hand seemed to get the ball to a certain point and pass it until something opened up, or someone broke a line, or rushed a stupid ball inside for a 50/50 battle, very clueless at times. It's not much to ask to see a few patterns of play being worked on but there was certainly no evidence of it from us yesterday.

O'Shea and Coen got burnt badly for pace at times, you can't have both around the middle of the pitch IMO. Loftus' lack of strength in the tackle was really shown up as well.

Hard to take any real positives other than the return of Cillian, he looks like he needs another few months/matches to get rid of the ar"e though, but a great sight all the sam. Midfield had a strong showing despite the way the match went, hope Flynn isn't too badly injured.

I still think Kerry can be got at defensively but we weren't going to expose that yesterday.

A wake up call in advance of Galway!

This O'Hora v Clifford debate is exactly like the AO'S at full back v Kerry in 2017.

During the game people wondered WTF, then a day later it was regarded as a great move, and by the end of the week it was back to being stupid.

I think we are in the middle with this debate now.

Horan left him on Clifford the whole game.

On the face of it it was crazy, so either O'Hora did actually better than people though and Horan was happy enough with that, or it's one crazy mind game Horan is trying to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I too enjoyed the O'Hora Clifford match up. Obviously Clifford got the better of him, but O'Hora was very much hung out to dry by the tactics (there seemed to be none). It was all made very easy for Clifford given the lack of pressure on the ball coming into him and then leaving O'Hora one on one. Was never going to favour O'Hora but I found it entertaining nonetheless. The chatter between the two of them being made into some controversy by the typical pearl clutchers who seem more interested in random flash points in games rather than the football being played. Clifford is a big boy now and well able to handle himself, and I'm sure he gives as good as he gets in that regard.

I do think the growing injury list played a role in things - we sorely lacked the pace of Durcan and Mullin. You'd miss Conroy's strength and pace in the forward line too.

However, I do think there seemed to be a lack of a plan and a lack of intensity in our play. The reasoning for this, I cannot speculate.

You'd hope something will be different for Galway and we at least show some semblance of organisation and hunger for that game but who knows.

Ah O'Hora did fine really, all things considered. The Clifford goal probably sticks in people's memory but we were already 10 points behind at that stage. People jumping on him for a bit of sledging too, yet Spillane did far worse to Aidan O'Shea.

If we do somehow meet Kerry again I'd probably stick with that match up and use Mullin, Durcan, possibly Eoghan McLaughlin to try get on top of their half forward line. Starving Clifford of possession is the only real solution.

My memory is shot but wasn't it generally a case of "that was a bit of a strange move, not sure if it worked but it wasn't a disaster either" in the first match following by "O'Shea played the role well" in the replay.

I'm not sure there was much flipping of views, just the usual division of opinion when it comes to O'Shea.

One thing for sure, I do miss seeing these Plan B's, even if some people might have called them Plan Z's at times, under Rochford.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He did well in parts, but people will focus on the sledging aspect and Clifford's final total. He also came out of defence a few times - Clifford failing to track him. A similar performance by a Tyrone defender would no doubt go down as a very good defensive performance - because Tyrone would certainly not allow the ridiculous amount of good ball into him and his final scoring tally would probably not be as high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Would agree with RedDevil55 above. There were a good few balls that went in under a bit of pressure or not on the money and O'Hora won his share of those. When he was given half a chance, he did fine. Some of the scores Clifford kicked were just class too - one where the defender has done everything right and it's a low percentage shot; the problem is Clifford can score loads of those!

The problem was the regularity of ball going in under no pressure - able to just measure a lovely kick bouncing in front of Clifford and loads of room for him to go at it then. If you give him enough ball like that, I don't think anyone can mark him one on one.

In general the most disappointing thing for me was none of the younger or fringe lads really put their hands up, apart from arguably Carr. They just didn't seem interested, which us strange for what should be an extremely competitive panel.

As someone else said, if a performance comes against Galway and we win that, this game will be forgotten and we will all move on, so no point getting too down over it.

Post edited by Padkir on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed. Fairly certain anyway, management (if worth their salt) would've set KPIs for O'Hora leading up to the match for what results they wanted to limit Clifford too. If he was trending awfully they'd have switched things up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

On "Clifford failing to track him". We don't want Clifford tracking runs, not beyond the 45 anyway. Need him as high up as possible. If his marker goes for a bursting run up the pitch I'd expect Clifford to let him go and a team mate pick him up.

Was it Philly McMahon took Gooch for a wander of Croke Park in a final, kept him scoreless and kicked a point off him while wedging Gooch into the corner back position a few times. Would rather see a dangerous forward stay forward instead of tracking a run and wasting energy.

Some top class revisionism and whataboutery going on. You'd think Clifford had started the whole thing with that Flynn injury on 47 mins and O'Hora was just defending his fallen comrade

We were in line with them about 30 yards from the hill and he was at it from minute one of the second half. Hands up the jersey, dragging, pinching, repeated unsighted dunts into the back. You could see the mouth going constantly. The Kerry fans around us (very few) were up in arms and the Mayo fans (very many) were kind of laughing about it nervously but you could tell they were embarrassed. Supposedly it was similar in the first half once he was switched onto him.

Cliffords the most popular player in Ireland and it's hardly a surprise that videos of him eventually humiliating his tormentor are getting such traction online today. That's a number of unsavoury incidents POH has managed to pack into a two year inter country career. I can't imagine it's going to do him any favours in the minds of referees going forward

O'Hora was on Clifford from the throw in.

I had a look on twitter there for footage of this embarrassing behaviour and couldn't find much bar the push in the back and them both squaring up with their heads.

O'Hora's mouth was going all game as for some reason he chews gum when playing, and he does it like a horse's eats hay.

No doubt he was mouthing to Clifford all game as well but it's a bit stupid to automatically assume it was "sledging".

Here's one video of him acknowledging Clifford's excellence after the goal. Mouth also going 90. Mightn't suit the permanently offended folk or people looking for outrage though.

I'd be fairly sure Clifford left the game saying that O'Hora is nuts rather than thinking he was a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Broken ankle for Jordan Flynn

Classy behaviour from Ireland’s most popular player

Disaster for us, our midfield was going really well, disaster for him personally

Advertisement