Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

That's heartbreaking news. Gutted for the lad.

Jordan had proven many folk wrong with his maturity and form this year. Looked like he was really pushing on to a new level like Ryan did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well that’s the nail in this seasons coffin so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We'd have no luck if it wasn't for bad luck. That's awful for the lad, and he was making a serious push this year.

Was hoping it wasn't too serious as when he got up he did a couple of short sprints on it only to be told to walk off. Amazing what the andrenaline can do.

We'll have an injured 15 soon at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

We pick up a disproportionate amount of freak serious injuries .

You would nearly believe in the curse now .

He tried to run it off then !

Not a good look for Clifford now having a go at him on the ground ……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

People writing essays now about an incident that neither player is likely to be losing any sleep over. God help us.

Has the Flynn injury been confirmed? Haven't seen it anywhere. Though have to say, it immediately looked like a broken ankle from where I was sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

What happened with Flynn and Clifford? I thought Flynn injured from Jack Barry challenge? How did referee fail to give black card. Clifford gets involved with sneaky elbows and late hits himself but you hear RTE pundits mention this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Avon8

Lord almighty.

Chewing gum? It's fairly easy to tell the difference between a lad yapping while dunting someone in the back and the slight mouth movement of chewing gum. Half the people at the game yesterday must be wrong because you can't find any other clip bar the 30 second sledging incident. Everyone's making it all up so

You talk about permanently outraged? A portion of your fanbase attempted to have criminal charges brought against John Small last year. Actual criminal charges for a mistimed shoulder in a GAA game. Take off the green and red goggles for once. There's endless outside praise given to mayo players year on year like Keegan or Moran or even Hennelly recently which gets absolutely lapped up yet a player getting rightly admonished for clearly acting the maggot in full view for most of the game is somehow the fault of the other player, or the media, or permanently outraged. Pat McEneaney will probably get a mention before long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Who from the Mayo fan base was trying to bring actual criminal charges on John Small?

Why don't you throw up a few clips of this disgraceful behaviour.

Galway lads having a panic attack about a bit of chatting and "dunting"... If a lad wants to stand over an injured player he can take a bit of dunting.

Clifford wasn't crying and half the crowd weren't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Gutted for Flynn......yet another hammer blow.

Was amazed when he got up and tried to run it off tbh.

• Advertisement

Clifford stood over him as if to say stop making a meal of it. It wasn't the challenge itself, just the way Flynn landed after it. Probably was a black card but no criminal charges.

Jack Barry escapes the clutches of the law this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Gael85

As they say in kerry Barry was laying down a marker. Weak refereeing from Mooney. Then he black cards Diarmuid O'Connor minutes later when it wasn't a deliberate pull down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In fairness O'Hora is known for mouthing, and apparently some fairly rough stuff, we'd be giving out yards if it was Philly at it

Clifford is no angel either by the sounds of things, is happy enough to get stuck into lads and rub them up

Its part of the game IMO, theres a lot of pearl clutching when a team is on the receiving end of it and brushing it under the carpet when its one of their own. From a Mayo POV I don't think we have much of leg to stand on when we have the likes of Keegan, who loves all that kinda stuff and we collectively love him for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

If that was an All Ireland Final, does Lee Keegan mark Clifford? I get the impression Mayo were keeping cards close to their chest with the summer the main priorities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭dobman88

Probably the most sensible thing I've read about the O Hora/Clifford thing. 2 of them in it. Happy to see Clifford able for that stuff now and giving a bit back. I don't like it in general, but it's part of the game so lads need to deal with it.

And not aimed at yourself, more a general point from reading things online. With regards to him "looking bad" for standing over Jordan Flynn who subsequently has a confirmed broken ankle, I doubt he did it knowing he had a serious injury and would most likely regret it now looking back knowing what we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Operation ‘Tarnish the reputation of David Clifford’ is underway here I see.

And all to try defend the behaviour of o hora, really strange carry on.

he got embarrassed, he’ll hopefully learn from it- no need to go after Clifford with the “two of them at it” nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Very disappointing about Flynn, he has improved massively this year; hopefully he'll recover okay and be back next year.

Hard to know who can replace him, personally I'd go for Coen; he's big & physical and can play a sweeper type role from MF allowing Ruane and the HBs to get forward. Other options for a big man would be Aido or Conor O'S.

A different option would be to stick a runner in there, someone like Eoghan McLaughlin maybe? McDonagh plays there for Westport but I don't think he's a county level midfielder. Diarmuid has already been tried there with fairly limited success.

Ah com'on, it has been mentioned plenty of times on here just what we think of Clifford and that is that he is an exceptional footballer. He's the most impressive forward I've seen play the game live.

Of course, he's going to get the attention of a defender, as long as that defender doesn't go out to intentionally hurt the player or engage in this "sledging" that crosses a line then you are going to have to expect the defender to be pushing boundaries somewhat, in his ear, "dunting" as our Galway friends call it, letting him know he's there etc.

The game would be a better game if the GAA wanted to stop all this mini macho stuff but they've no intention of doing so from what I can see. We'll continue to see subs coming on and running into their marker, continue to see defenders all over forwards when the ball is nowhere to be seen. It could be stamped out fairly easily if they wanted to, but I'm guessing they see it as adding to the game/spectacle/part of the game.

Clifford, as he should, seems well able to handle himself. He put 1-6 on the scoreboard which is the best way to handle it, if he left a little in on O'Hora or gave him some chat back then he was fully entitled to. Standing over a guy on the ground is not a good look for him or any player though. It was fairly obvious that Flynn had done some damage the way he went down initially.

Agree on the last bit, Clifford wasn’t to know he had a broken ankle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Check out the tactic cam footage on TG4 before making a judgement on Clifford making comments to Flynn. It's from high up in the Hogan Stand but you can see the players and where they are on the pitch

I've seen that comment make the rounds here and on Twitter but at no stage did Clifford stand over or make comments to Flynn. He was nearby and himself and O'Hora (along with a couple of other players) were shoving. But to try and claim that Clifford is the bad guy here sledging an injured player is pretty low lads. It was right in line with me in section 304 and Clifford didn't make any gesture towards Flynn at all.

Kerry people are well aware that Clifford isn't an angel. He looks after himself well and goes looking for trouble as well at times.

People abusing O'Hora are way out of line as well. He experimented with a technique to try and put Clifford off his game and it came back to bite him.

Himself and Mullin marked Clifford in Tralee and there wasn't any sledging.

As has been pointed out the fact that he has taken a Ukrainian family in says a lot more about his character then some mouthing in a football game.

I did not see Clifford taunting Flynn when watching the came and I wasn't at the game myself so didn't see it for myself to be able to judge on it. That being the case - Conor McKeon seems to reckon the Flynn injury was the point where it started and makes the case that it would seem to be an unusual time for O'Hora to start trying to get at Clifford by means of verbals.

The rest of your post is bang on.

As for the GAA wanting to deal with sledging, that's something that's going to be very hard to deal with but the mini macho stuff as PARlance has referenced there seems to be no interest in the GAA doing so, which could and should be dealt with.

However the reaction to O'Horas behavior is fairly typical nowadays - instead of looking to solutions to the behavior, people look to denigrate the mans character. Having met Padraig - only the once mind- I can tell you he's one of the nicest lads you can meet, and what he does off the pitch in his work and community is exemplary. That would not to excuse him from sledging - though we don't know what was being said so it's hard to accuse him of that too.

Unfortunately Social Media loves a pile on and people will say things on Social Media that they would never dream of saying to a persons face. Every county has their unpleasant fans and trolls, some counties more than others. It's no surprise to see the usual comments and where they are coming from, as well as the nature of what has been said. I can't imagine Paul Flynn will be out to defend O'Hora and condemn the trolls this time however, and that is part of the problem. If all the talking heads in the GAA want something done about that, then they need to come out and condemn it every time, not just when it suits their narrative or impacts their own county.

And it's certainly not the first time a defender has been giving a bit of chat to a forward, so for the crowd that hang on the "he's got an all Ireland medal therefore he must be right" here is what Eamon McGee has to say on it.

Post edited by Blackjack on

Aside from all of that, our Injury list is ever growing. Below the players confined to sick bay at present.

* Rob Hennelly

* Oisín Mullin

* Paddy Durcan

* Diarmuid O’Connor

* Brendan Harrison

* Jordan Flynn

* Tommy Conroy

David McBrien

Eoghan McLoughlin

Fionn McDonagh

Mark Moran

Bryan Walsh

I've put an asterix beside the ones that would be first choice players if available. 3 of those (Harry, Jordan, Tommy) are in a group that are either certainties to not feature, or at the very best are unlikely to feature in any games this year.

With a list like that it's hard to be in any way optimistic for the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I think either McDonagh or Walsh would be a starter in the half forward line too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I've looked and looked and can't find any evidence of this standing over and taunting an injured player tbh. I'll have another look at the recorded match later.

On O'Hora, if Clifford was playing for mayo, as a kerry man I'd be saying, get stuck into him,(Ala thomas O'Se) nice and tight and not be letting him trot around kicking spectacular points all day. O'Hora did the first 2 things but was let down by either his team mates or the manager.

As a previous poster said, pressure needed to be applied further up the pitch to regulate the quality of the ball in.it would give the backs some chance of winning the first ball. With that done a spare man screening the full back line to pick off a share of the loose balls and he would then 2v1 Clifford or geaney(who kicked 5 pts) inside if the ball goes in long. POH was tight to Clifford all day but the lad is to big and strong now to be stopped consistently by 1 man all day.

On a dry day in a vast croke park, Horans tactics were very poor but what was worse was his refusal to adapt it when he saw what was happening.

Debatable really, I wouldn’t have either as nailed on starters. I’d have Carney ahead of Walsh despite Carneys lack of experience. There’s a few others I’d prefer to see on ahead of Fionn too. That’s just my own opinion and cases could be made for both of those you mention to start.

I'd probably have Eoghan MacLoughlin ahead of Fionn and Bryan if it came to picking the best from the squad, but his place in the squad is dependent on the availability of others too, and unfortunately some of those others are on the physio bench too.

Still don't really know the full extent of the injury to Harrison. You'd wonder really where his career is going. It's endless injuries for him. He only really had a good run at it for about a year or two. I remember someone saying a while back that his body wasn't really cut out for intercounty football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

I always think the same with Harrison, he is only back and he is injured again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mayo looked a hell of a lot fitter and stronger than either galway or the rossies..... Wonder is all the training causing injuries?

• Advertisement

Yeah the full on wall of silence as regards what's happening any of the players who are injured isn't really helping, but you'd have to assume if he was stretchered off last week, his chances of being available for the opening game vs Galway or indeed any other games this year is very much in doubt. It really is a shame - I'd guess that if we had him fully fit we'd have a better chance of having Keegan in the half back as opposed to full back line, and probably have Oisín a freer role going forward as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

U-20's cship opener v Galway this evening live on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u53f9ecjBO0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's supposed to be on the outside pitch in Bekan,I wonder can they move it inside the Dome?

Yellow wind warning a serious gale blowing all day

Terrible conditions for a match, almost impossible to play in that.

Shocking,I hope it dies down a bit as the game goes on,one goal will win this for whoever gets it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Mayo 1-6 Galway 1-4

Nicd to get the win. Listened on the radio, it didn't sound like a classic

Conditions were atrocious but Mayo deserved the win, better team throughout. Callinan, Irwin, and O’Flaherty at 10 were the standout players for me.

I dunno. Something fairly classical GAA about the game being kept on the outer pitch with the dome just being used for warm ups in the middle of a Status Yellow wind warning. Didn't see a number on the crowd but it looked fairly decent and the stand seemed pretty full. Imagine it must have been over the 2k or so they'd squeeze in the dome so not too surprising I guess... but still looks crazy.

Callinan stood out as a bit special. Worked his socks off defensively and his (very rare) slaloming breaks at pace the most dangerous we looked all night apart from Galways (gifted) turnovers. Irwin, Thornton, Fallon, Morrison, Cosgrove and both O'Flaherty's all solid though with a solid team performance rather than any sparks you could say that about most of the team (McHale and O'Connell both very limited from the conditions. Hopefully both will have much better nights this year to shine).

Hard to be too harsh in conditions like that, neither team could play ball, but looked like we were set up very defensively. Hopefully that was specifically playing the conditions as it looked like we should have won that more convincingly with a more balanced performance (i.e. trying to attack even a little - we looked more early Donegal than modern Tyrone or Kerry 'defensive') rather than scrambling to hold on at the end.

Edit: Good news on coverage for the semi finals.

https://twitter.com/SportTG4/status/1512060337926787085

Post edited by TsuDhoNimh on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone know why the game wasn't in the dome? I thought there was capacity for over 2k?

Either all games in the competition are played indoors or all are played outdoors, but you can’t have some indoors and some outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Conditions really were shocking, Mayo certainly the better time although not disallowing the Mayo goal for steps was an awful call, He took about 7 or 8

Nahhh. Technically true but very seldom you'd see a call for steps there. The keeper throwing himself at the player most referees will give leeway on steps there and all but reset the count when it happens.

At that point you'd be looking at ruling out the McLoughlin goal too for steps by Grainger and making what was already a tough watch completely unbearable.

That said, both teams had some shocking calls against them for frees taken from the wrong position. A little more pragmatism given the conditions (neither side were gaining from the positional differences) could have helped there from McGirl (what a name for a referee).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Keeper didn't make contact from what I can see there. Whether or not you see the call is kind of irrelevant. Grainger's one would be a lot more marginal although the Mayo wing back(?) is actually fouling him but also a foul none the less. Fully agree with your 3rd paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

I wish refs would give freetakers a little latitude as to where exactly the free has to be taken from, within reason, especially when it's not within scoring range. So often, the advantage of winning a free and trying to take it quickly is lost by the ref insisting on moving the kicker back a few paces; it penalises the taker's team as much as the opposition.

Was interesting watching the Tyrone Donegal game last night. (Some absolutely cracking scores in it from both sides if anyone didn't catch it. Well worth watching back at +1.5 speed on YouTube)

Without the wind the positional issues on frees weren't anywhere near the same level as the Galway game but the teams were still pulled more often than I'd be used to seeing (and on relatively minor infractions there was no need to pull). It definitely seems to be something of a trend in the u20 games or among the u20 refs. Most noticeable last night was that each time (or the majority, though I can't remember a single throw ball for it so potentially all) the ref called them on it it was simply to take it from the correct position rather than penalising with a throw-ball as happened at Bekan on Wednesday.

Be interesting to watch if it's still popping up as a thing and what interpretation of it is taken in Carrick on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just saw the latest footage of McHale Park.

The new goalposts are up, looks like they've lengthened the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was coming back from Ballinrobe Friday evening and there were people out training on it, the senior team I presume

Yes they trained during the week last week,also on Friday and an extended training session on sat,probably again last night or tonight.

The pitch is fine,it's been extended by 5m in length which was always the plan.

There's an opening of the Laoghra Maigh Eo Tile Wall that payed for the renovations at MacHale Park the night before the Galway game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Just had a look at the tickets, are they going to try allocated seats again??????

• Advertisement
Advertisement