Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Same as that, never heard of it! Didn't happen in the stand at all or the terrace from what i could see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

That was probably the one for Ronaldo at away games by Liverpool and Arsenal fans to pay respects on the passing of his young son.

Not sure who had suggested the 12th minute one in honour of Kate Moran, a fantastic idea I'd love to have supported, but I hadn't heard a word about it. I'd follow most local sports and GAA folks on social platforms and hadn't spotted a mention of it so imagine lots of others fell into the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Like that I was glued to the match but it was certainly a thing before the game, I'm surprised ye missed it.

Couldn't hear a feckin word out the tannoy either, hadn't a clue how much time was added on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

why is this not being discussed? is it true? i personally believe that its time for him to move on. In all fairness to him, he got an all ireland title with Mayo, albeit league. not a terrible haul, but i think the time has come for him to step aside.

Considering the source, I don't think there is anything to discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd say most people agree with you that it's time for Horan to step away at the end of this campaign.

Once again he has rebuilt Mayo football.

Not from the pile of rubble it was in 2010 but still after that game in 2018 in Newbridge few would have thought that Mayo would soon be back as a force with a very much changed team.

He's given two four season stints to it, he as much as anyone needs a break.

And he's still only 50 odd so there is loads of time for a third run at it.

you might be right, but hes better informed than I all the same

Wonder if that's the same source that confirmed MacHale park wouldn't be ready for the Galway game?

I actually agree with quite a lot of the publicly stated goals Tim has. The failure to act upon so much of the Strategic Action Plan created over a decade ago is fairly alarming and the desire for greater transparency and accountability on the finances is something I'd imagine we'd all take a lot of confidence from... but the method and choices in trying to achieve those goals leave a whole lot to be desired.

If half of the claims around demands for personal financial gain for deals to be done is true it would be pretty terrifying. When those claims come along with false accusations, bitter comments and petty insults it becomes harder and harder to take them too seriously.

In theory I should be on his side. In reality I'm not actually sure we're playing the same sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

No he's not.

He just puts out lies on twitter when he's sauced up at the weekend.Often deletes again the next morning.

We dodged a bullet with that eejit.

Doesn't matter if we win Sam or are out after the next game Horan will leave this year,only when he's gone and we're scratching around trying to win Connacht titles will people see the amazing job he's done.I tell friends outside the county that a small element of Mayo fans want Horan out and they think I'm joking.

He's a smart man and I think he's knows the naturel life cycle of a manager is 3/4 years.

• Advertisement

Of the four years between his two stints we only one connacht once, but one semi final which we lost to Dublin after a replay and only by a point and the two following years we came closer to winning than we ever did. 16 and 17 finals were the best performances i have ever seen from a Mayo team! Do you really think once he goes that this squad is not going to be contenders? Full credit to Horan of course he has built this squad out of nowhere but I don't think he will win us an all ireland

Dublin won that semi final replay by 7 points.

I don't think we'll be completely uncompetitive but there's no guarantee we'll stay in the top 2 or 3 teams in the country.I think we kinda take Horan for granted,a lot of people outside of Mayo think he's the best manager in the country.

I suppose of lot if it is there's no obvious successor.Managing an inter County team is more than just managing a team and no more so than in Mayo.You have to be able to handle media and other pressures and hold the whole thing together, that comes with experience.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rochie come and have another go with our new squad.

I wouldn't be writing Horan and Mayo off this year at all,we're 3rd favourites to win Sam.

Anyway,all this is academic as he'll go himself no matter what happens this year.

Mea culpa on the score!!

Agreed. i think Stephen Rochford was a much more shrewd manager, although it sometimes came at a price. He led with real passion. I think if you could mash up Stephen ideas with Horans gameplay of old, then you would be on to a winner. FWIW, i reckon Rochford would have managed the 2021 final better IMO. Dual managers made a great job of tyrone in year one. not sure if a Rochford/Horan setup would work.

No chance of a Horan/Rochford joint managership.

With all due respect to Horan, he's not the kind of person that would adapt to that sort of an arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

So when is the draw being made and we inevitably get Tyrone in Omagh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

23rd May I think but not 100% on that

The last provincial semi finals are May 15th at that point you will know the makeup of the qualifiers and Tailteann Cup.

So the draw will probably be the 16th.

According to Wikipedia any qualifier preliminary round is due to take place on the weekend of 21st/22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'd prefer that to what I think we'll get which is the inevitable Armagh away!

I think they might feel they owe us one at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The hurlers are really getting shafted by the county board.

Doesn't say much about their role in growing the sport in the county.

• Advertisement

Thats an absolute joke what they are doing to the hurlers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Tim has another tweet up. Posted the mayogaa chairman mobile number.

Classy guy,

He'll have it taken down in the morning as usual when he sobers up.

On the issue itself there's no argument, the hurlers should be allowed play on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Elon took it down for him 🤣

I don't think he has been sober since his round of golf with Brolly a few weeks ago...

Yeah, very poor treatment of the hurlers by the CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Ah jaysus....that's so petty not letting the hurlers use McHale Park.

Have the opposite side of that going on in my local parish in county Limerick where the footballers are ostracized and can barely get access to the hallowed turf 🙄

There's myself and a few other parents not originally from the parish who have started a very slow burning resistance movement but I'm not that hopeful tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Rubbing salt in the wounds of the hurlers when the footballers were training on it this week.

Club Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Tough group for us. Group four is tough too. Handy enough for Breaffy, tubber & Westport

I'd have said group 3 was one of the more exciting. Breaffy didn't look to be really firing last year, Kevin Curry looked their outstanding forward and they seemed to not want to play him. Interesting to see how Belmullet's style might have changed under McHale too, could be a very different prospect to play against going in either direction. Wouldn't be shocked if Claremorris managed to turn one of them over, or both. Still a huge amount of unfilled potential in that young Claremorris side and seems to be a conveyor belt of younger lads joining it too.

Think I'm strangely more excited for intermediate this year than I am for senior. Huge amount of young talent with the potential to make a big breakthrough this year around the teams there. Fingers crossed a few lay down some markers.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see how Breaffy and Belmullet get on with the new management teams. The year under the belt might stand to Balla and they'll be looking forward to a cut at Breaffy and Claremorris. As you highlight, I don't think that group is as cut and dry as it might look on paper.

Post edited by PARlance on

Group 3 definitely looks the tightest, any of those 4 will fancy their chances of a top 2 spot even if none look like County champions

Group 1 looks straight forward.

And Kilmovee got there Bye eventually in the Junior!

I'd be delighted if I was Balla, Breaffy will top it cause thats what they do. I don't expect Belmullet to be anywhere near as good, losing nallen to Louisburgh is a huge loss, he was central to what they did last year. I also think they've had a downgrade in management, Mulligan is a serious operator and had the discipline to harness these lads. Claremorris have been a joke club the last few years, same management and same players can't see much changing.

Group 2 in the inter looks great, Ballinrobe have to go out to Kiltane, I've never played on a heavier pitch, you're f**ked after 20 minutes and Parke went well last year. Group 3 is no joke Ballyhaunis and Moy Davitts will both think they can win it outright, hope they're both wrong. Hard to pick a winner out of group four, all fairly even.

I see Lacken are back this year

Mulligan would be a tough act to follow for anyone so very interested to see how Liam gets on. Taking Athlone from a semi final to relegation and then being beaten up in division 2 didn't look a great trajectory the last few years but hard to put that in context without knowing the players and the situation with the team. Could easily go 3 wins or 3 losses in his first 3 there in Belmullet, neither would shock me. A good start would make a huge difference. Hoping he does well. They've a few young lads like Fionnan Ryan and Owen McHale that could be big additions to the Mayo senior squad if they keep developing.

(Any word around if Damien Mulligan taking up a new role or is he taking a break for a while? Spent most of last year thinking a Westport or Castlebar might snap him up so shows what I know)

Not fully sure what's happening in Breaffy.

They announced a 'management team' but with none singularly identified as the manager. Different. Fair play to them for trying something, I guess. The worry would be it was done for financial reasons rather than logistical reasons or for the teams benefit.

Aside from the obvious jokes, "The two O'Sheas, Cillian O'Connor, Alan Dillon and f'in Andy Moran will call the shots anyway", it'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Depending on the personalities involved it could be as smooth as butter or it could be a very rocky road. I'd worry even they won't know which of the two it might be until the heat of a championship game in the melting pot. They're all fairly recognisable names around the club so have to imagine they've worked together over the years but you'd worry a lack of traditional clear structure and lack of high end management experience among the team could be as serious a downgrade, from McIntyre and Forde in the recent past, or even more so than Belmullet might suffer. Again, going 3/3 on wins or losses wouldn't entirely shock me. Though even with Seamie stepping away you'd imagine Aido, Conor and Matty would give them too much around the middle to collapse completely.

Young Tunney there I could imagine with a big point to prove after missing out with the u20s having previously made team of the year with the minors. Could have him fired up to put in a big one this year.

Huge opportunity there for Balla and Claremorris. Not even sure who I'll be crossing my fingers for yet in that group.

If the rumours were right AOS wasn't too happy with their appointment, I'm sure that will have passed by the time he joins up with them. It would give them a convenient excuse if things start going wrong.

That draw makes Westport & Ballintubber favourites for the championship IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I don't think Westport will make the same mistakes again this year. Plus Conway knows these players.

While it was announced as a managerial team in Breaffy, I think the hierarchy is fairly cut and dry. I don't know how they'll fair out, that remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be worried about it being a big step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Nada for a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

When's the qualifiers draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Interesting all right.

Especially in light of the forore about the hurlers not being allowed use McHale Park no one came back on here to discuss their historic reaching of a Christy Ring Final.

This day next week I'd say.

Because there is no need for a preliminary round the first round games will be held on 4th and 5th of June.

So that gives two weeks between draw and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

“According to sources, it is very doubtful if Hennelly, Mullin or Flynn will be fit to start in the first-round qualifier clash.

As to how serious the O’Donoghue and Carr injuries are is unclear at this point.”

cries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

The additional injuries do not shock me. The standard of the strength and conditioning programme is not up to scratch and it's a massive elephant in the room at this stage, something a lot of people seem unwilling to talk about for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

What do you think the issue is?

I thought we were one of the few leading the pack in terms of the S&C'ing work for years.

If anything, I think all the S&C, the crazy schedule on younger players and many a long season for the older players has just caught up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

S&C should be aiding in the prevention and recovery from injury.

Our injury list at the moment is only growing, and it's not just stuff like cruciates etc, it's repetitive soft tissue injuries too. It isn't a secret btw that the programme has dropped in quality, just that people don't seem to want to say it too loudly precisely because we've had this rep of being one of the best conditioned teams in the country. But there has been a drop in standards, and plenty of people who matter know it.

So call it out so and give details? What/who is the cause of the drop in standards?

You're talking about an elephant in the room but you're skirting around the issue as if there's an elephant in......

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Who doesn't want to say it too loudly? Has something changed this year to make it worse? Don't think think the s&c team has changed since Horan came back, but this year is a complete outlier in terms of the volume of injuries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement