Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I didn’t hear anything about it and got a good bit of news re the team last nite, so unless it happened today.

Doesn’t sound like McLoughlin’s style

Half the injured lads back in training this week.

Darren McHale will be in the starting forwards IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Horan intensive training methods has injured half the squad, and now hes falling out with our few players that has ball skills and the vision to open up blanket teams.. ,

Poor kev mustn't be able to run hard enough for James..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I see he did a press conference this afternoon and confirmed no one has left the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kevin Mc may just be spending time with the new born twins. Real life has to take precedence at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Interesting comments on the idea of 'running the players into the ground'.

Most managers,in the distant past did this initially to get the winter pounds of flesh off and then once fit the players played more with the ball.

Remember Mick O'Dwyer ran the legs off his super team and it was only in later years that they paid the price with health issues.Then again it was just MO'D on his own,he was the management team,he did not have the huge backroom that the likes of present day managers have! He did well all the same from a results point of view....and sure if lads needed new knees etc later in life they had the memories and the medals to prove it was worth it.

Present Offaly manager had a similar army means of training when in charge of Mayo,they were fit but......getting to the final was the best Mayo did and its the same ever since.

Remember Graeme Souness the great Liverpool midfield hardman and present TV pundit destroyed the Liverpool team when manager,the injuries were horrenduous due to his training methods....then again the players were professional and were getting paid for it unlike the GAA players.

Present day players will suffer unbelievably in older age due to what they are doing to their bodies.Some of the scrawny but very skillful lads I looked after at under age are now 'ready to burst',bloated beyond all recognition,in some cases.Is it an amateur sport with professional training methods ? And if it is ,is it any longer safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Are you one of these lads who believes the tweets from toxic Tim?

This is how it goes time and time again.....Timbo posts some nonsense that of course turns out to be false,often times he takes it down the next day when he sobers up,other times he leaves it there for all the world to see.Yet still some eejits follow him on twitter spread the nonsense.

We dodged a serious bullet when the county board told him where to go,all he has now is a lot of bitterness and a twitter account.

well lets hope your right , along with those rumours of Horan having got a 2 year extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Where would a visitor watch the match in Belmullet?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

We dodged a serious bullet when the county board told him where to go,all he has now is a lot of bitterness and a twitter account.

Couldn’t agree more with this. Stay as far away as possible.

I find it hilarious that someone claiming to be a Mayo superfan and saviour was dressed topped to toe in England kit, flashing his Mickey at an Italian penalty taker during Euro 2012 on the same day Mayo played Leitrim in the Connaught Championship. Loyalties eh!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165338/Euro-2012-England-fan-flashed-Diamanti-penalty-shootout-revealed-millionaire-businessman.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

He's being shown up for the malevolent bullshitter that he is.

Hopefully the few fanboys he has on twitter will slink away and leave him starved of oxygen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would still love to hear some actual evidence of players being run into the ground in training or the supposed deterioration of our S&C program.

It seems that people are seeing the injuries mount and just making assumptions.

There's no denying that we've seen record numbers this year but a lot of them have to be put down to bad luck imo. A lot of them down to ridiculous asks being placed on players by club, county and college.

I think there's a big issue with players playing through pain/playing injured in general, but I don't think that's unique to ourselves... But the fact that we've had a decade of long seasons, it catches up eventually.

Amateur players shouldn't be allowed play if the need to injections to do so. This isn't just county players, it's going on in club teams around the country as well...which is absolutely banana's on both counts. The body needs to be listened to.

We are where we are imo, due to

1. Bad luck

2. Crazy schedules

3. Playing through pain

The county set-up can be blamed in part for 2 and 3 but player's push themselves too much as well. I've heard of instances where players will have their own physio (as well as the county one) to keep certain things off the radar for fear of losing their spot etc.

Not a local but O'D's would be my shout. Plenty of space, big screens and a good atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If Mayo cant beat Monaghan how on earth can they hope to compete with the likes of Kerry or Galway?

Galway are not in the same league as Kerry.

Well they will be next year, but you know what I mean ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

mayo have a **** load of injuries. could be tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Maybe you mean Kerry or Dublin?

Monaghan has beaten Galway more often than not in the past five years. Relegated them last year, knocked them out of championship in 2018. Defo Monaghan on their day can beat Mayo - shouldnt, but could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The injury list on the Mayo News podcast is pretty shocking 😱😱😱

Plunkett chipped a bone in his foot, and ROD is a major doubt now as well with a muscle injury

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I've always believed that the injury troubles are 90% down to bad luck. Don't see any evidence of a deterioration in the S&C that would have caused them.

We all saw what happened Jordan Flynn in the league final. Nobody can tell me that was avoidable by better S&C. Sounds like Plunkett has a similar injury.

Hennelly came down awkwardly on his knee warming up against Armagh. That's the only injury I remember him having in 12+ years on the senior panel.

Harrison and Conroy did their ACL. Conroy was playing more games than you'd like at that time but no different to other county lads playing Sigerson.

Muscle injuries can be down to fatigue/poor preparation before games. However, explosive players like Mullin and Paddy Durcan will always be more prone to them than Aidan O'Shea for example.

As my older uncles would say, he's a stupid greenhorn. As for that pic of him flashing, just goes to show how big a dildo he actually is.

City trader full of 'bants'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I heard from an extended family member of his that ROD was playing injured as far back as the Dublin game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whatever support and credibility he may have had among the Mayo GAA family and i for one was interested in his plans etc, but he has squandered any goodwill with his childish and personal attacks on twitter, he comes across as a half pissed teenager tbh

Horans backroom team quit after last years all ireland.

Kevin Mc quit in the past few days.

That's two off the top of my head.

Whatever the issues in Mayo GAA, and I don't doubt there are many, you are doing nothing to resolve them. All you are doing is trying to whip up a twitter mob like Paddy Cosgrove or Donald Trump. Its pathetic attention seeking and does absolutely nothing to help anyone except give you some little thrill.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Tim, you don’t really get what it means to be from Mayo. You’ve constant attacks on people, the “sleazy bagman” Noel Howley, you’d a particularly nasty tweet about Mary King. We all know these people, if we don’t know them directly we know someone directly linked to them. I went to School with Noel’s nephew, my uncle lives up the road. I don’t know Mary King but I’m sure if I looked into her we’d have some link.

You were delighted to be invited to the gig in MF until things didn’t go your waY and then it’s into the personal stuff

Your tweets are nasty, personal and classless and the exact type of thing I’d expect from a guy flashing in an English shirt. As far from Mayo as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the reason that Monaghan are such an "attractive" price is down to consistency.

Mayo have been to 10 semifinals in 11 seasons.

Monaghan have been to one, have been to a few quarter finals and have been knocked out at various stages of the qualifiers in the same time period.

So this sort of stuff is Mayo's bread and butter.

Or at least it should be if they did not have so many injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

• Can throw in the MacHale Park going to fail the pitch inspection for the Galway game too, which included a quite aggressive attack on the County Secretary Dermot Butler.

Personally I find the aggressive and belligerent attacks far worse than the incorrect information. Not knowing which sources can be trusted and which ones can't should lead to someone holding their tongue rather than sharing it out in order to garner attention or score points, a charge that could be levied at plenty of journalists not just twitter folks, but mistakes can and will be made there. To turn that information, like the incorrect assertion that MacHale park wouldn't be ready, into a fairly vicious attack is contemptable and pretty unforgivable (as someone with literally no connection to Dermot Butler, John Gunnigan, James Horan, Noel Howley, Seamus Tuohy, Conor Finn or anyone else who has come under named attack in recent times).

If someone genuinely cared for the lads on the pitch, if someone genuinely wanted to enact meaningful change, especially if someone wanted to improve professionalism and raise standards these aren't actions they would take. They're the polar opposite of what is claimed to be wished for Mayo GAA.

So far the biggest lie we've seen is that the interests of Mayo GAA are at heart.

The vast majority of statements made in recent times are purely designed to attack people and conduct petty feuds. Very few, virtually none, have the potential to cause change or to improve anything. Whatever disagreements and fundamental issues might exist between parties that isn't helpful behavior. It just burns bridges and erodes trust, as it has with the majority of people around the Mayo GAA setup or fans around Mayo. If a word was ever meant about wishing to see things improve it would be very easy to have meaningful impact very quickly in very positive ways by taking a higher ground. Falling into the gutter and slinging mud is simply embarrassing and hurtful for all involved.

That said... 99% chance this is a troll account faking a name just looking for attention. The fact that we can't be sure either way sadly says something about the whole thing.

There's on way we could confirm it was Tim but we don't really want to see that do we 🤣 Save it for Wembley

I'm pretty sure it's him.

Anyway,be careful what you write as he's now taken to screenshotting posts on the Mayo GAA blog and Tweeting them.

Like a few others I was interested and open to hear what he had to say in the beginning.What an absolute physco he has turned out to be,daily meltdowns on twitter.

Can't imagine many people have much time for him after the KML tweets he had out recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod

Kindly report any 'new' poster whose username is a real life name and are claiming to actually be them.

There really is no point in engaging as they will be deleted/ banned before long.

• Advertisement

its him alright, he's after posting a screenshot of Green&Reds post. Such juvenile shite.

Absolutely pathetic,

As I mentioned he's started trolling the Mayo GAA Blog and then screenshots the comments.This man is tipping 50 years old.

Kerry using some common sense, resting "key assets" in games that they already know that their going to win, so they will have a full deck for bigger challenges that lay ahead.

Did it in the league and are continuing the same pattern as they go deeper into the championship,

They seem have their heads screwed on..

They went as flat out as I've ever seen Kerry go for a league. And they could do so safe in the knowledge that they wouldn't have a competitive game in months.

Clifford was injured, the S&C coach must have clattered him.

Easy on the Tim tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

Mod Note

Warning issued.

• Advertisement

Mayo people reckle turf

I'm told Rachel Kearns is out for the rest of the season with her knee, she'll be heading back to Oz early to do her rehab and be ready for WFL season over there. Massive loss, could easily be the last time we see her in Mayo colours with the changes in the Australian season. That's five starters gone from the last team at this stage, must be massively demoralising for the remaining players

Post edited by Green&Red on

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

I know that completely off topic but your remark is interesting. The whole country "foots" turf but reckling is a Mayo term. What I don't know but would like to know is it used throught the whole County or is it just confined to some areas around North Mayo. Where does the term come from is it an irish word ? If you look up on internet nothing found.

On more relevant matters Mayo will beat Monaghan easily. While I am not a fan of James Horan it is ridiculous to blame him for player injuries. They happen in every team and in every code of football both professional and amateur. Injuries are a fact of life in contact sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Is that Rachel?

Gutted to hear it. Some of the clips of her in action down in Oz were amazing last year, fingers crossed it doesn't hurt her start to this year in a few weeks. The hit on Sarah Rowe as good as any.

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1484449021817016324

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I've never heard it in S. Mayo anyway, we would always say foot turf.

• Advertisement

Sorry, meant Rachel, massive loss, shes a serious footballer, probably the best we've seen since Cora

Not sure on the origin of the word but my understanding is that to reckle is leaving them on their ends against each other, footing is two down, next two crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Never heard of it in West Mayo either, we would always say foot the turf too. The other thing you're on about there we would call windrows or chimneys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

We'll have the whole summer for recklin or whatever it's called if we haven't got our act together Saturday.

Some of the attacking play shown by Kerry, Dublin and Galway was top class and well ahead of anything we've produced so far. Imperative we get Ryan back ASAP and to have cillian and James Carr firing on all cilinders.

I think our injury list is going to catch up with us once again this Saturday. Someone mentioned a page or two back that (I think it was here) that it may not be such a bad thing losing, if it allowed the panel to regain fitness while taking a summers rest. Maybe not such a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

I think If we loose Saturday its time for a new approach with a new mgt team. Think we should win tho, I think it's a different scenario to 2018 where everyone was kind of relived that kildare put and end to our misery that year. It's a younger team time around and the more championship experience they have the better. No guarantee our injuries will. Be any better next season.

I can't understand this mentality, if any member of the squad thought like this we'd never win a match,it's a losers mentality.

This is very different to Newbridge when a tired,aging team also facing a big injury crisis were scuppered on a boiling hot day.

This team is facing a worse injury crisis for sure but are young and hungry.Crucially the squad depth is streets ahead of what it was in June 2018.

We need to be heard in the stands and roar these lads on or it's advantage Monaghan,that bit is in our hands.If we win the thing opens up for us.

I know inside the squad training is ferocious and lads have a point to prove.Its likely they're more in battle mode than coming into Galway as we have a few big names back (Hennelly,Durcan,Mullen) although Ryan and plunkett are out.We played sh1te and still only lost to Galway by a point,how many 45s,ong range dead ball did we miss? about 6,how many points would Paddy have knocked over? How many would he have prevented? Now Galway are 3rd favourites for Sam.Its very small margins.

I haven't always in the past but I fully believe we'll win on sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think the default position/attitude for Mayo fan's is extreme pessimism.

It's understandable in a way I guess given the years of near misses, bad luck etc.

Anyone non-Mayo people I've heard talking about the game are all confident of us winning

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

With Mayo, its either extremely optimistic or the polar opposite of extreme pessimism. Never in between.

• Advertisement
Advertisement