Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ennis you'd imagine if it's standalone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Was the attendance announced in at the weekend. Didn't look like the 40 to 50k the Mayo GAA chairman was expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Kerry, with winners to play Dublin or Cork.

• Advertisement

Well it's the hard way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Good luck

Galway Vs Armagh

Kerry Vs Mayo

Cork Vs Dublin

Derry Vs Clare

Hopefully Armagh beat the lard out of Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Winners of Kerry/Mayo will face Dublin/Cork

• Advertisement

Given the way we're going probably better off not to be limping into a semi final or final

Obligatory "better playing Kerry a bit cold" line...

In fairness, they haven't had a competitive game since Tyrone in the last round of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Treble header with the minors and another QF presumably

Double header in Limerick maybe

What I mean is it'll be a lot cheaper if we lose to Kerry rather than getting an easier draw and going further

I was just adding the obligatory line to that 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

oh god I hope not

I booked croke park hotel ages ago for the Sunday and Monday night (going to concert)

If Mayo drew the dubs I’d have been screwed

It might have worked out ……..

My guess

derry game Dublin game Sat evening double header

other two the Sunday

all in Croker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

From a Kerry point of view (Yerra), this is the perfect draw for Mayo.

Won't be short for motivation after the League Final and all that was written. Will get a massive crowd up, who will be seriously fired up. Hopefully should have Ryan O'Donoghue back, Jordan Flynn looks good to go, O'Hora ready for a crack at Clifford again.

Great for Kerry as well. If we have any ambitions of winning an All Ireland and getting over Dublin, we needed a serious test in the Quarter Finals. It will be good to see if Kerry can get through a serious test in a tight game in Croke Park because we haven't the last few years. All close games, Kerry haven't had the nous to work out how to win.

Really looking forward to it.

We would probably have taken the easier side of the draw but there's an argument that we need a big game to kick-start something.

I'm just not sure we could handle beating Kerry, then Dublin, only to lose an All Ireland to Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

This will be very different to the league final.

I wanted to get Derry but next choice for me would be Kerry.

We owe them one,we will have Hennelly,Oisin,Eoghan McLaughlin,Paddy back for this game,Cillian only came in late as a sub in that game and Jordan broke his ankle in that game.Hopefully Ryan is back.All of a sudden kerry are playing a very different Mayo team.

We'll be written off by everyone and that's just the way we like it,the real stuff starts now.

I can't wait for this.

• Advertisement

Excellent post but written by someone who is very confident of putting us away I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

True

Personel wise Mayo will be much different.

The point was made by a Kerry journalist on the podcast after the league final that no team can lose 30% of their starting team like Mayo did and expect to be the same.

Whether it's enough I don't know.

The backs will really have to be on their game.

It was mentioned here yesterday about Ruane being off form since the Dublin game last year.

He really needs a big game, because Kerry do not have a great midfield and it's a place that Mayo should target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We'll have a good few back alright but ROD seems unlikely to play a big part (anyone know what his injury is?) and they'll have SOS back which will be a big boost.

At least we didn't show our hand in the league final I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Course they think they will beat us! Would you blame them after our performan e at the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

If what I heard at The Weekend is true they won’t have Clifford ……..

I wouldn’t be getting to smart yet with Armagh to play ……….

For what it is worth here is my preditcion.

All games in Croker.

2 triple headers.

Saturday

1pm Galway Derry U17

3pm Derry Clare

530pm Dublin Cork

Sunday

12pm Mayo Kerry U17

2pm Galway Armagh

430pm Mayo Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Good points. But I don't agree with the last point. Diarmuid O'Connor (Kerry) is one of the best midfielders in the country. I have seen him play a few times now (live as opposed to watchin on TV), and he is a powerhouse. None of our midfielders will outrun him. And Jack Barry is hitting a decent vein of form too. And of course, they have Moran to spring from the bench too. If anything, I'd be very fearful that their midfield will power through ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Hard to describe how I feel about the matchup. It's not confidence, I feel like the game is going to be very close (like the game in Tralee rather than the League final).

I think Kerry will win based on the football they have played all year, but I'm not overly-confident. I think that Mayo's attacking backs running at Kerry's defensive setup could cause us bother. We are getting lots of bodies back this year but we have some lazy tacklers who will give frees away to Cillian.

I reckon a lot will hinge on whether Mayo can afford not to play Aidan O'Shea. I think in Croke Park his lack of pace in the transition could be exposed by Kerry's kickpassing (if he continues in the sweeper role). I think he could play a big role as an impact sub when the pace of the game dies down but if he starts Kerry will look to exploit him. Kerry are able to use David Moran in that role this year and while he hasn't been needed to change a game yet given the ease of Kerry's championship games so far I think he will be vital in the Quarter Final.

So I expect Kerry to come through but I wouldn't be massively confident and if we are beaten it wouldn't be a massive shock (like Tyrone last year or Cork the year before where I was very confident).

Edit: I also realise how rediculous it is that I'm taking Kerry's current form (which is good) into account and ignoring Mayo's current form (which isn't great). If I was analyzing the game purely on form I'd have to be confident.

But with this Mayo side you'd be mad to go on the form book alone.

That's unconscious bias for you I guess and I'd always err on the slightly more pessimistic side.

But

But

But

when Galway get their chance they're going to win the all Ireland

If they were going down that route, surely they would swap Dublin Cork to Sunday and Galway Armagh to Saturday? To ensure the minor teams are represented on each day?

And put Mayo Kerry on first after the minor...with Dublin Cork 2nd.

I know Sunday might be in danger of selling out then, but I'm not sure a huge crowd will come from Munster.

It would be a cracking two days and a great experience for all four minor teams.

Armagh and Derry/Clare stand in front of them and An Ireland Final... and they're still crying over the "horrible draw".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A few scans taking Aido Orme's miss in Castlebar to heart still. For what it's worth I think most Galway people realise Armagh are gonna be a serious challenge and are probably gonna be favourites. If (big big if) we came through that the hype would be nauseating.

I fancy Mayo to beat Kerry though. I still doubt Kerry have the minerals to pull through tight games even though Clifford is the best in the land. They won't hit the wides Kildare hit constantly into the Davin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Mayo could beat Kerry as most years they deliver a big performance unlikely but possible. Going on to beat Dublin absolutely no way. Dublin got better of this side of draw as Kerry mayo does not suit Kerry. For the neutral the other side of draw welcome as it guarantees a non regular a place in final. My heart would like to see Clare do it, my head says Armagh but my fear is Galway will rock up and win it against the odds and make us even more miserable. They still have most AI,s after Kerry and Dublin. The good news is that Horan era will soon be over and we will be rid of the last of the players from the Holmes’s Connolly era who looking like proving that Mgr was not the issue 7 years ago they were as record under Rockford / Horan shows

The second game of a double header are usually the bigger ones so I'd imagine Mayo v Kerry gets 4pm Sunday.

Dublin v Cork would be the late game Saturday, it's a spot Dublin regularly play a QF in so I don't see why they would change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

A number of the Mayo Players are lacking confidence this year, a Top Sports Psychologist brought in to work with the Team even at this stage of the Championship could work wonders. Lack of composure in last year’s All Ireland cost us big time (we had 4 or 5 goal scoring chances and scored none of them). The composure Limerick Hurlers have shown over the last four years (Caroline Currid Sports Psychologist works with them). The composure Dublin footballers have shown down through the years is the result of working with top Sports Psychologists. Kerry is a very tough draw but if Mayo are properly mentally

prepared we have a chance. Kerry are 1/3 with the bookies, pressure on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Its not just Ruane, DOC, COC needs to come good as well but Horan needs to make the changes that every dog in the street sees. AOS and Coen need to hit the bench. I could never understand Coen captaincy anyway...

While the Kildare game was brutal for 3/4, I was more pessimistic after the Monaghan game. The Kildare game has been the perfect game to start them back on the tract if there is anything in them. Time will tell but with the changes Horan needs to make and maybe ROD back, who knows and of course the league final was never going to be even!!!

• Advertisement

Whatever about the way Coen is playing this year, which has been poor, for the last couple of years he has been very good for Mayo. He's also proven to be an excellent captain, won Sigerson, U-18 & U-21 All-Irelands, that doesn't happen by accident

But who do you replace AOS and Coen with?

I can see Flynn if fit being a straight swap for AOS at midfield with the latter being used as a impact sub.

But I who replaces Coen ?

By the way I can see the thinking of Coen as captain. He was on good form prior to this year and he has captained minor, u21 and Siggerson winning sides in the past, so he probably has the qualities required to be a captain.

I wouldn't be dropping Coen just yet I suppose, even though his form isn't great.

Both lines of our defence is (more or less) made up of natural half backs who like to bomb forward. Coen offers a bit of protection to that. I'm not sure we have another back who will sit there and cover. It's not the strongest argument for inclusion but it is one.

And then there's the point that I definitely don't see Coen as a finisher of a game, so I would much prefer to see him start and let someone come on for him to add a bit of chaos in the final 15-20 mins if needed.

I think Flynn in for O'Shea should be an easy decision to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

What are peoples thoughts on getting Keegan and Mullins out of the full back line? I think Saturday showed again what they offer going forward, having them in the full back line really holds them back!

Neither can mark Clifford imo. Clifford will be told not to follow his runner and it's too risky putting either on him unless we tell them not to bomb forward.

O'Hora in for Hession, to mark Clifford, would be my guess. And O'Hora needs to be told to forget about crossing his own 45. He did a good job on Clifford in the first half of the league final and a lot of the joy Clifford had was directly after O'Hora made a burst. Second half was a different story obviously.

I don't think he has been very good. He has in a few games but not consistently good. We are talking about Senior county football now not minor and u21/sigerson. Granted he has done this at these levels and all this is very promising but there is a clear distinction between the two levels. We are seeing this with young players taking 2/3 years to get up to the required level at IC and some just cannot make the leap. I also think Coen lacks pace and also does not offer enough going forward/attacking. He has not got the pace or power to take lads on like Mullen, EOL, PD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Our full back line against Kildare was for all intents and purposes a half back line in terms of personnel there.

We seem to have loads of lads whose ideal position is the half back line as opposed to fellas who are naturals in the full back line.

Keegan, Mullin, and Hession are all better suited to the half back line. We are not blessed with defenders who are better closer to their own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya. Definitely. Really suited Oisin Mullin that Daniel Flynn spent most of his time out the pitch. Kildare would have known that it would be either Mullin or Keegan that would take up Flynn. Don't know why they didn't strategise telling him to keep close to the Mayo goal and preserve his energy for the danger areas. I was delighted to see him operate out around midfield and their own '45.

Issue in 2 weeks time will be who picks up Clifford. If O'Hora plays, I don't think it should be him. Too much pressure stemming from the previous Kerry game. I think it could be left to Keegan to muster up some of the "dark arts" that kept Diarmuid Connolly and Ciaran Kilkenny quiet. But then again, that was a good few years ago. I don't think he'd have the legs for following Clifford around.

Flynn in for AOS, Mullen is not a full back (he got caught for ball in over his head at the weekend and against Tyrone) and goes to CB. O'Hara in the full back line. We need Mullen attacking in the half back line.

There was a free and Flynn grabbed the ball and took it within 2 seconds. If it was AOS, this quick mind is not there.

In regards Coen, again different level at IC and Coen is not making it for me. Did he touch the ball in the first half against Kildare and if he did, he fouled. While he is fit, he looks heavy in the legs and lacks pace. He will never lose the ball because he will either revert back or to the side with the ball. This is his default behavior and it is not normal for him to attack. He is limited in my opinion.

While PD missed alot at the weekend, he attacks. EOL is just so attacking minded as well. We need a man in the middle like this as well. Mullen is the man.

Again on the Coen thing.

It was 9 and 6 years ago respectively that he captained the minor and u21 teams.

He has been part of the senior setup since then.

People are talking like he is new to the senior team and not able to cut it.

He was a decent player holding his place up to now, it's only this year that he has regressed.

So again, he was a good shout for captain at the start of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement