Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

100% on Mullen. I think we need to leave Keegan in the FB line as we have nobody else and I would wonder if he has the legs to be up and down. He looks like he does at the moment but he is not 24. Keegan is without doubt the most impressive man ever to wear the jersey. He has this sense that we are in trouble and need a score... he creeps up, breaks the line and bang.... it is over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Horan will need to have a trick or two up his sleeve for this Kerry match, otherwise that league final thumping will be earmarked as the turning point in Mayo's season.

Confidence levels are still low and dragging on after that game , having done all the hard work eradicating the Tyrone loss with a solid NFL campaign, only to go and throw it all away with an insipid display in the final, to the horror of a large Mayo fan-base that turned up that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Think Keegan has to stay corner back to start with anyway.

Maybe O'Hora full back, Mullin to 6, Coen to 7 (try drop off and sweep) then put McLaughlin half forward to track White.

Having said that, I think Mullin is the best man to mark David Clifford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't know about Mullin on Clifford for height difference alone.

We saw it in the final last year and in one of two instances against Kildare that Oisin struggles on a bigger man when a 50/50 high ball comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The obvious question though is who do you replace them with? O'Hora and ??

With the way Mayo play, the FB line is probably the toughest line on the pitch so we end up putting some of our best players there

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Everyone struggles on a 50 50 high ball against a bigger man!

Mullin is far better in the air than Keegan, O'Hora, Hession etc. Stephen Coen might be slightly better under a high ball but doesn't have the pace.

FWIW, I'd probably put O'Hora on Clifford and Mullin on SOS - he's the man who'll be pulling the strings for Kerry and we need to do what we can to put him under a bit of pressure. If he has free reign to pop balls into Clifford & Brosnan/Geaney, our FB line will get destroyed again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Post edited by muddle84 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Double header with Armagh & Galway

Anyone with any orange neckties? Asking for a friend

• Advertisement

Past successes in younger grades are irrelevant as he is in the big time now. It is a different time and a long time ago. You are correct thou... he is not new.... he is decent/good but that is not good enough. All defenders are outshining him as a player and he needs to be more than just decent. He needs to defend and attack. He needs to lead as a captain. I don't know what he has scored as an IC player but I would love to see the stats on his scoring in comparison to our other half backs. He is decent at man marking, not at the same level as Keegan but he is decent at it. He reminds me of Silke for Galway the luckiest man to ever win an All Ireland when he was center half back!!

Look it could also be Horan and he wants him to sit and hold the center back position but I doubt it.

Presume the minor game will be on in Ennis so?

I would agree with you.. Mullen to CB, Ohara on Clifford. I think pressure out the field and trying to cut supply is the most important.. The main part is to keep it tight for the first half and not give away handy goals. Expect high balls as JOC is all about this. It might mean some forward player playing a sweeper role to break tackles and win ball. We have guys in the half back line who will hurt them with our pace if we can do this.

I really hope ROD is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Horan mentioned the two subs missing, one from injury on Thursday evening and another through illness on Saturday morning. We know Walsh was one, do we know the second yet?

I don't remember seeing McLoughlin or Brickenden warming up but it's very possible I just missed either or both of them on the day. Wasn't specifically looking for anyone missing and just glancing around.

O'Hora on Clifford for sure for me. I think Padraic will be rightly fired up for it. Would be tempted to put a fiver on him for MotM just in case we pull it off.

Mullin on Seanie at 6 sounds good. Tough battle. Could be a cracker.

(Not sure Kevin would manage to stick with Gavin. In full flight I'm not sure many in the country can. If we do decide to go man to man, rather than dropping off completely blocking the channels, we'd probably need to be looking at a Hession or Durcan? Both offer enough going forward to not be a complete sacrifice and would get close to tracking White. The way Kerry play their wing forwards there will be little difference in role for our or their wings backs and wing forwards in this one.)

• Just realised you meant Eoghan. D'Oh. Yeah, that'd work too. Head still fuzzy from the game ;)

I fear we'll see Diarmuid given the job but can't imagine it'll end well. Gavin White has so much pace it's all but sacrificing Diarmuid tracking shadows. If we can get that match up right, or the tactic right to make the match up irrelevant, it'll give us a good platform to work from.

Yeah, Hession, McLaughlin or Durcan are the only ones who'd be able to stick with white.

Speaking of McLaughlin, Mac would want to have a word with him and show him how to keep the ball low when he's through on goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Anyone know the attendance from the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I doubt the GAA would ever admit to how poor a crowd they had. Wouldn't be like them to admit to mistakes.

We've had a double booking so I've three lower cusack going if anyone hasn't bought yet

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Sent you a PM there G&R.

They may suit us... depending on section, etc.

I didn't take them.

Free for others to request...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

There is a message going around on whatsapp from something to do with Kildare that's saying it was 16,000 or so! Pretty bad for a double header in HQ! No idea how genuine that is mind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

Message sent there Green and Red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

16,425. Eoin Sheehan had the figures on Off The Ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That's fairly abysmal. Again, it was a tone deaf decision to fix the game for Croke park when 3 of the participating counties are west of the Shannon. The Hyde or Tullamore for Mayo Kildare, and Pearse in Galway for Roscommon/Clare would have been more suited to both games. Would have allowed to spread the benefit of a match day crowd to one of these towns, which is massive for local businesses.

Has to be an awful kick in the teeth for local sponsors outside of Croke Park. Why would you pay to advertise in a provincial ground when the decision making on these fixtures is made to suit Premium ticket holders and food/drink vendors in Croke Park?.

Any thoughts on who we start at MF? Ruane & AOS or Flynn?

If Flynn is reasonably fit, I'd start him with AOS coming on as a sub around 55min (Moran will likely be introduced around then too). Kerry's kickouts are something we should be able to target, the goalie can be iffy and while O'Connor and Barry are decent, they're not world beaters. Ruane in particular could do with a good game, he's been fairly average in recent big games where he was excellent in the 18 months prior to last year's AI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Managed to snaffle two Lower Cusack for myself and one of my young fellas...logged in at 10am on the button but still on dodgy WiFi here in Wales at the minute so was about 10,000th in the queue when it eventually kicked in.

Have zero expectation of a Mayo win tbh but looking forward to seeing to competitive and entertaining games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I had assumed they sold all the crap tickets first and lower tier would follow next week - obviously not!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

Seemed to be a reversal of this, very limited Lower Cusack or Lower Hogan at about 10.10, could only get Lower Davin. About 10.30 they seemed to ‘open’ the upper tiers (or at least the Upper Cusack) so I nabbed a couple of decent seats around halfway line that way.

Surely all down Hogan and Cusack arent sold, given the poor attendance last week? Unless Armagh are bringing masses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It was hard to know tbh given the atrocious speed of the WiFi I had....I initially tried for 4 tickets anywhere...no joy at at all, 2 tickets....nada. Tried for one and got some random Hogan Lower, tried for 2 again and got them in the Davin end (at this stage the missus and the young fella were out of the equation 😂) but the WiFi dropped as I was paying. Tried again a few more times and eventually got 2 in the Cusack.

The missus is like meh, young fella gutted, older fella delighted 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭dockysher

Anyone know if there will be a special train going to match from mayo? The normal sunday train leaves Dublin too early in evening for match as is.

Or are there any buses going from round claremorris or ballyhaunis area?

I bit the bullet bought 4 upper hogan, which usually is a trigger for prime lower tier seats to be released the next morning

Can't say for sure but I'd expect at least one special train if not a few of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Armagh should bring a decent following alright. With 4 teams involved it doesn't take too long to start burning through them either.

Looking at the statement the GAA put out about the record breaking sales (50k tickets in 5 hours between the two days) they're saying they've sold 35k for the Sunday games so far (on the evening of the release).

I'm not up to date on current numbers nationally for season tickets (the article mentioned Mayo and Kerry combined at around 5k) but between the four counties we're probably looking at ~8k for those (some of which are probably already included in the 35k figure). Not sure if they included Premium seats in those either so that's potentially a few thousand more used up.

Looking at those figures they've mentioned you'd have to assume the rest have gone to club allocations. Should be a good few of those bouncing around up and down the country over the next week or so. Too often I've seen them shaft clubs with dodgy sections down in the corners so delighted if they've actually rewarded clubs with central positions. Eventually you'd expect to see small chunks making their way back onto the website for public release if they're not grabbed earlier in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭dockysher

Update from Irish rail is they don't expect any special train to be added from Mayo for match which is disappointing. Regular train already sold out for morning but coming back too early anyways in evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Get the Rosary Beads out if Horan decides to stick with the same methods and personal for the Kerry game. (Kerry by 9+ if hes learnt nothing)

Play the kicking game like we did v Dublin in February and we may have a chance (providing he plays our best shooters instead of workhorses)

Listened to the OTB pod earlier in the week, they made the point that the only way for Mayo to beat kerry is to consistently push up on the Kerry kickout and try and keep the ball down their end. That you are wasting your time if you don't do it with all 8 attacking players, one player drops off and it gives an easy out for the keeper. That this was a high risk strategy because it Kerry go long you're left with over half the pitch and six on six.

So by going for it we could end up looking very exposed and people will be giving out that we aren't protecting our full back line. People will be saying we should be playing with a sweeper but that you can't do both. You press up and if it goes against you then funnel back.

Thought it was very interesting and probably explains a bit how sometimes we can look exposed at the back

Must be a large number of Tickets sold. Top tier of the Davin and 736 are the only areas with availability left. And other than the corner the Davin available seats are pretty sparse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Advertisement

Irish rail often only announced the special train(s) on the week of the game.

Where did you see this update?

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't at least one going.With no overnight options available they could fill 3 or 4 special trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

dont forget, our last outing we lost 3-19 to 13 points.... memory fails me, but thats probably our biggest ever licking in CP?-- queue the "we were 30% down on injuries".

Not even close, lost the '93 semi final by 20, that was a sad day

We were down more than 30% but I suppose that's just an excuse,is it?

No team past or present could play anywhere near to standard if you took 7 starters out of the line up.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Gunner5

I'm playing a dicey game in thinking that they have just shut off sales of the lower hogan and cusack to fill out the stadium a bit more. There is no way that every single seat is gone in the hogan lower . Hopefully they come on sale later again.

I'd say you'll be safe enough,I agree there's no way every lower tier hogan is sold.

• Advertisement

What's the deadline for all those taking up their season tickets for the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

Only Hill 16 tickets now on sale. Must be a huge demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pat201

Team id start

R Hennelly

L Keegan , o Hora , Hession

Durcan , Brickenden/Mchugh, E Mclaughlin

Mullin (Sweeper)

AOS , M Ruane

D O Connor , ROD

COC , Jack Carney , James Carr

First Subs in (early changes)

F Boland -> Carr ( Tires usually in game but best when starting)

Flynn -> AOS ( Kerry will bring on D Moran so Flynn can run him, AOS better to start game with as no point bringing on if we behind as not attacking enough)

M Moran -> J Carney ( If moran going well in Training , then move ROD up front )

We should not need to Sub out defense with 7 defenders but losing Plunkett is a real miss when you look at our depth with Coen so out of form.

Subs need to be done early so players should be told empty tank,

O Hora get another crack at Clifford but sweeper system in place this time. Cannot be left isolated but we also need Kerry to chase after mullin , keegan , hession etc so man marking role of clifford be a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That would be some reintroduction for Mark Moran... I'd say Barry or Andy are as likely to come off the bench.

Would also be incredibly surprised if Brickenden or McHugh start... Or even feature.

If it's a sweeper then surely it'll be two inside the FF line rather than 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Pat201

With the way we play i feel we are better leaving 3 up to keep Kerry honest. Carney is dangerous on High ball but would be a waste if he came out TO HF. Carr and COC roam anyway so need a focal point. Bit of space in HF might give us chance to kick for DOC and ROD.

Brickenden/Mchugh are a long shot but we are very short in defense if we play sweeper. Coen has been very bad this year but he will prob get that spot.

Leaving mullin as sweeper might give him chance to show what a footballer he is . Man marking aint for him as he can get caught badly on high ball and placement due to instinct of wanting to be involved. Manmarker should not want to play football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement