Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I heard that Keegan staying on last year convinced McLoughlin to stay on, they're good buddies. A lot will depend on the new manager I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Who from the available selection of players would you replace him with?

Some people just have a horn for Dropping Aido. Seems to be mostly Dubs, funnily enough.

Heard the same as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

He seems to have lost all the scoring abilities that he had back in 2015 and his earlier years though. I imagine its some sort of confidence issue but either way, I was always of the opinion that you front three have to be scoring threats!

I honestly think the defensive Midfield position suits him best now, his stand out performance this year was the Monaghan match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As mentioned above, if you drop Aidan, Coen and a couple others from the panel who do you replace them with? Surely they are good enough to be on the bench at least?

Regarding players walking away, Kevin Mc's missus had twins only a couple of months ago. If anything, I'd say that's enough to convince him to stay on as it may be the only way he'd be able to get away from the house!

Considering the stand loan repayments, I certainly can't see the board opting for an expensive out of county appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

You have a point and this is my issue with him as well. We can't put him in full forward as he can't score and our forwards around him don't feed off him. He is too slow on the ball and you need midfielders who are more attacking and do so at pace. His best days are behind him as he is 32/33 now. Others asking about Coen as well. He is too slow, lacks any attacking threat. His best game as with AOS was against Kerry but these are experienced players who need to deliver consistently and not on certain days. I watched AOS running up the pitch against Tyrone last year and he clearly had lost the pace. It was then I thought his days were over. I know I am identifying these two but we have loads of guys in the same bracket and got dropped for different games but how Coen in particular didn't get benched after the Kildare game is beyond me. This is why I say Horan went soft.

Keegan still offers alot and what a player over the years. He is just a model player with a brilliant attitude. I was listening to a podcast of him and 2017 defeat hurt the most for him. He just cared so much and I think he put so much into playing and trying to win for himself and all mayo people. He is just a fabulous guy... truly brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Oshea is too immobile for full forward, it hasn't worked in any of the umpteen times its been tried, and it won't work if its tried again. anyone still bleating on about that would be as well to go out and butt their head against a stone wall for an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I don't think Coen did anything wrong against Kildare. He was marking one of their best forwards Ben McCormack and kept him to 1 point from play. He only got subbed off because we were chasing the game in the 2nd half.

It's not Coen's job to be an attacking threat, although he did score a point vs Kerry and in the last 2 All Ireland finals. Probably our only player to do that?

• Advertisement

O'Shea caught most of the ball that was kicked into him in last years all ireland, the problem was when he came down, nobody coming off him. Hes not going to turn and kick a point but he can field and has great hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We stuck AOS in at FF for a short while against Kerry in the first half - when you make this change, you'd expect us to play in high balls, right? No, the only long ball in was low and slightly to the wing. Pointless having someone big in at FF if you're not able to play in the right ball

Come on that is so niave. It is his job to be an attacking threat as all the top teams have attacking half backs and they need to be. Imagine durcan and eol been replaced by two more similiar type players. Granted he gets a score in an odd game but that is the exception and not the rule. His default behaviour is to go to the opposition line of defense and turn around and pass it off. He never takes anyone on, never takes risks as he know he will lose the ball or else be beaten for pace.

How much has Tadhg Morley scored for Kerry this year? Or Cian O'Sullivan for Dublin in previous years?

We had 5 other backs playing against Kerry whose primary strengths are driving forward. If anything we need more backs who are happy to sit back and not run forward leaving huge gaps in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I don't see that Carney at 14 offers much more

You mentioned them, let us know? but they can take their men on and provide a threat. I am not saying you have to do it 100% all the time but it has to be in your locker to use. O'Sullivan and Morley had/have pace and they support the attacking play. You cannot be a one trick pony and sit back all the time, run to the defense line and pass back. This is a central position to attack teams at.

Do you remember Donal Vaughan when he was CB, in fairness to him he got forward when he could and supported attacking play, had the power to beat players. There has to be more in your locker than that as he is in his prime now.

Coen is not a one trick pony. Look at the All Ireland final last year apart from the point he scored, several of our other scores came from him driving forward and laying the ball off. There are loads of examples from other big games too.

Anyway my original point was that Horan was correct to keep him in the team the last day. Dónal Vaughan is no longer available, so the alternatives were O'Hora, Brickendon or Donnacha McHugh.

I think you must be from hollymount lol You can put your blinkers on and bury your head in the sand but he seriously needs to improve in such a pivotal attacking position. Horan failed to make some hard decisions which needed to be done to really drive home that guys performances were not good enough. Just because he is captain does not mean he is untouchable. We are lucky to have 4 top defenders and can live to a degree with alot of teams with sub performances but we will not win the main prize with performances of his level. Dream on.

The same is levelled at our forwards. Coen is no different to most of the guys in the forwards. We will be runners up for years to come if you think these are top performances. I even go as far as deluded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Expressions of interest are due in by the end of the month

I am flat out already with the underage!! Too busy and don't need the cash. This is a discussion forum at the end of the day, you express an opinion as so does everyone else. Sometimes a bit of reality needs to be said and not live in fantasy land.

Maybe this is the level we are at and this is the best we have, but this will not win the big prize.

• Advertisement

True, and it's a good discussion forum. Going around calling people deluded, claiming they have blinkers on etc etc doesn't lead to a good discussion.

Most Mayo fans had big question marks about Coen at stages this year from I can tell. I did. But most Mayo fans can also recognise that he does a certain role for the team as well, and that doesn't necessarily mean we need to see him bombing forward scoring points. We have a lot of those defenders and personally I think we're too open at times, which better teams capatilise on.

Could he be replaced by a better player? Maybe. But I would be hard pressed to drop him from the current team given the other options.

It's very easy to say "we'll never win the big prize if....", When I hear that, people aren't generally open for discussion.

We'll never win Sam until I'm starting in the FF line... I'll be right, until I'm wrong, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

....and what about Darren Coen,how come he did not get any game time.A man made for the big ocassion,always got the long range points in Croke Park,where was he ?

Its amazing that there are still a number of players 'hanging about' in the panel who never get anywhere near the playing field,they are obviously training well enough to merit being kept in the said panel, but why no game time.......?

Also,as regards AOS,he was his own worst enemy in many games in the past.Selected to play in a given position but roved all over the field,fine when you are young,fit and able but not nowadays.He put in some decent performances this year when he 'stayed' where he was picked to play.

Along with COC he must now realise that he is a 20 minute man at most....and there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion but the players must realise it.

Can we as pundits and panelists cop on and realise that things are happening in the team panel that we are not privy to.We get to comment on what we see on the pitch during a 70+ minute game whereas management see the whole picture and we must believe that they are doing their utmost best to deliver on match day.Unfortunately rumours persist about favouritism etc and there is obviously no smoke without fire and it does no good to anyone only maybe rob us of some talented individual(s) who get fed up of the treatment and go elsewhere.

I don't think Darren Coen is up to it to be honest. He doesn't always take the right option and, please correct me if i'm wrong, has he ever scored one of these long range points when we really needed them, when we were on the back foot and losing the game? We were already a point ahead and had Dublin on the ropes last year when he scored his point in extra time.

You have a bit of a contradiction there with the criticism of AOS in one hand but saying we all need to cop on and realise that things are happening in the panel that we are not privy to; how do we know he is told to stay where he is picked, how do we know he isn't told to roam all over the pitch?

I disagree on COC too, yes he has a lot of mileage and football played, but he only turns 30 this year. You could see he wasn't back to full fitness this year, but he is only returning from a serious injury. I would wait and see how he has when he has proper recovery time next year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Muddle84 as regards AOS I think he used to take it on himself to roam! The good of the team and Mayo at heart at all times....when maybe he should have stuck to a particular spot.I think he can still offer something.I saw him kick the ball over the bar for fun in the warm up in McHale Park in one of the games this year and I hoped he would do this when the game started but apart from one effort he didn't!

Regarding COC,no doubt he had his finest season a few years back when he came back from another bad,long injury and he WAS fully fit and a total joy to watch.I ,as you say,think he is not up to speed yet after his latest injury and perhaps I was a bit unfair saying that he is a 20 minute man now at most.A fit Cillian is a joy to watch....but he MUST be fit! Then it comes down to management I suppose but playing an unfit player no matter who he is does the team no favours. Remember Jack O'Conor was about to pull David Clifford aside v Mayo as he was not working comfortably and we all know what happened a few minutes later! Its a percentages game at the top level nowadays.

But to your point, how do you know he used to take it on himself to roam??

We can all be smart arses when needs be and you too (i won't leave you out), but we need to be honest and blatantly turning a blind eye when you have mentioned a lot of fans have questioned the same. I never said a center back has to blast over a load of points but you have to bring an attacking aspect to your game. I would have argued he should have been dropped with Mullen to CB and O'Hara in the full back line. It is more attacking imo and we needed to get back to that space as our forwards this year were not scoring enough and with our two main forwards out(ROD and TC). I will leave it at that as I don't want to offend anyone.

Was at the ladies' game on Saturday, decent enough performance in parts and the scoreline probably wasn't a fair reflection of the game. Three of the goals were poor/unlucky for our point of view and really made the difference in the end. Lisa Cafferky was excellent, constantly out in front and often winning balls when up against 2 kerry players. Overall a decent year considering the amount of players lost to Aussie Rules.

It was interesting that Meath & Donegal played a much more defensive system in the 2nd game, Meath had everyone behind the ball while Donegal only kept 1 up when Meah had the ball. In our game, we kept 3-4 up all the time while Kerry kept 1-3 up while we had the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bonner gone from Donegal so I guess that leaves Rochford at a loose end (?)...would he make a good coach to support the likes of Solan/Dempsey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Surely Rochford had his chance already? Probably should have won with Mayo that time previously when they had a class team.

• Advertisement

I would love to see Rochford give it another go, but i think it would be too soon right now!

Would have been all for that myself not so long ago but I really think we just need a completely fresh approach now.

New management team, new ideas, new lease of life, hopefully.

Would like to see Rochford given another go at it down the line but the cycle needs to be broken first imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Totally agree.

Horan moved Mayo football to another plane in 2011, Rochford built on that when Horan had done his time.

Then Horan came back to start again.

But we need something fresh now.

They need to be able to vary the system and get the best out of the type of players we have now, not try to get them to adapt to the system that worked so well for the players in the past.

We need to look at the defense. What Kerry did this year in sorting their backs out is what Mayo should be aiming to do.

And they need to get forwards kicking points and scoring goals.

During one of the Mayo News podcasts around the end of last year it was suggested that a full forward line of Cillian, ROD and Conroy could totally change the emphasis of Mayo football.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see it in 2022, and I'm worried that the years and injuries are taking a greater toll on Cillian.

But hopefully we will get to see it from those three and maybe a few others.

That's why we need a new manager that has not already been there.

I think that's the biggest change that has to happen if we are to progress, we need our forwards to do more scoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That would be a nice full forward line alright. But do we have a good enough playmaker further out the pitch to supply decent ball in - taking into account that most counties have some form of sweeper in place. Will we be depending on half backs again breaking forward at every given chance. If there is no out-ball available to the inside forwards (because of being bottled up and quantity of numbers back), do we have half forward who can shoot with regular accuracy from 35/40 yards out to beat the blanket defence.

I don't know. Wish I had the answers. One option maybe be to play ROD in the half forwards, and keep Jack Carney full forward, flanked by COC and T Conroy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Apparently Rochford is putting together a ticket that potentially includes Donie Buckley.

• Advertisement

From a reliable source?

Can someone remind me how it works, is it public knowledge who has put themselves forward when it gets that far?

The latest i heard was that Galvin was going in with Dempsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

From the mayo news podcast it seems the committee can approach people and see if they are interested as well as clubs putting forward names.

But everyone has to approve their name going forward.

Brian Cody is at a loose end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

In my opinion Stephen Rochford was our best manager this century but if it is true he is putting together a team with Donie Buckly I hope they dont get it. Been there, done that. I think we need a clean slate. New thinking. Stephen Rochford stil has loads to offer but wait another 2/3 years and it will be a clean slate for him as most of his last squad will be finished.

There are various names going around but at the end of the day its down to whom the backroom is. Manager and 2 others is the key. If Paul Galvin is part of Raymonds team then thats a super start. A winner and also intercounty management experience. Havent really heard who anyone else has. I have heard John Maughan mentioned as backroom for another canditate but not sure if i believe the person who told me!

If Rochford gets in then since John Maughan was appointed in 95(?) the Mickey Moran year is the only year we have had a manager who had one term. All others from 1995 are two term (I am giving Pat Holmes first term credit for his joint manager year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Did Galvin not walk away halfway through his term in Wexford? Cant see him offering much tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Yeah. Attitude from the Wexford players and county board was a shambles. He wasn't going to waste his time in with a self sabotaging group.

He was in this year with Kildare and got decent reviews.

If Galvin was brought in as a selector/coach I'd expect Mayo to change their game plan totally. Much like Jack O'Connor, Galvin is mad about kick passing and is very sharp on attacking movement.

Watched the second half of Crossmolina and Parke last nite. Parke are a serious outfit, move the ball, have lads who can kick a point maybe a little light. They destroyed Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Kerry saved Mayo some serious embarrassment today. But it seems likely that Galway will go on to win Sam first and humiliate Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Thanks. Off back to the onlyfans forum for you . Are you a pervert ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Deleted.

Post edited by padd b1975 on

@padd b1975 Just a thought but if that accident only happened late last night, it mightn't be public knowledge and might be best to delete for now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Deleted a couple of posts. As PARlance said above, it's probably best to leave out any speculation of this nature until there's something official.

Seems to be a problem with the link KM. Tragic news, thinking of the poor families and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Awful news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement