Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would hope they're very careful with his return! There was no care is the lead up to the injury. And I hope it's a lesson learned for players in similar situations in future.

I would be a bit nervous about seeing him thrown back in on heavy pitches in Jan / Feb. There's really no rush until the spring. But every recovery is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not sure about that - Cillian's average from play (where he's played more than 1 half of football) is 1.95 over 85 games, of those 60 are championship games it's 2.4. Ryan's is 1.35 over 29 (where he's played more than one half), and in the 11 championship games he's featured for more than a half it's 1.45 from play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I would agree that Carney looks the most promising. it is the consistent delivery of performance which most fall down on...one day good....next day barely touch the ball. You would expect that for the first year but after that it needs to go. You can live with one player like this in the team but we just have too many of them. On top of this, some experienced guys have lost their mojo so we need those guys back on song next year and then a few experienced guys are probably not good enough any more. There is another handy all Ireland for the taking next year and Kerry in particular have got their fair share of them over the years. Tyrone last year and Kerry this year. Time for us to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

That's a good insight and interesting. How now can they gel together to lift those averages or at the very least maintain them? Would be interesting to compare with other prolific team's players and see if these are ahead or behind. Given that garnering scores from our forwards and play has been our challenge, I suspect it may be behind.

Note that Cillian has also defensive qualities as well where he is tenacious in tackling from the front and setting up the other forwards to attack kick outs. I suspect Ryan has learned/modeled some of this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Horsebox4

How come Mayo never win those handy All-Irelands ? Serious question.

The time for us to get one was the time Tyrone got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I never understand this handy All Ireland talk. Tyrone beat Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and ourselves to win in 2021. Kerry beat us, Dublin and Galway this year. What constitutes a difficult All Ireland win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Mayo 04/06 was handy. When I mean handy, I am pitting the Dublin teams that won 6 in a row and the quality of footballers they had and played. Match that against Kerry and Tyrone in the last two years. Big difference imo. Galway this year are a mirror picture of us from 2021. That is what I mean by Handy. Dubs would have done Kerry in the semi this year if they had COC and the dubs are not what they used to be. Quality has slipped imo

• Advertisement

Most times we just were not good enough and probably punched above our weight to get to a final (pre 2012) and the others we met a serious dub team who just had the better of us. We have a habit of making daft decisions in finals as well both as players and managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Would argue we made that Dublin team great. Kerry still kicking themselves after the 2011 final and we should have been 10 points up at half time on the 2013 final, instead we left them in it and the rest is history. I'd say cork 1989, a fragile team who has lost two all Irelands in a row Meath 1996 were the two that mostly got away. Trajectory could have been some much different if coyles shot had bounced wide or into a backs hands

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

If you're only talking about finals, Dublin were dreadful in the 2016 final. They could hardly kick a score in the first half. Tyrone in the final last year kicked a few excellent long range points and got an outstanding goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

I would thank this twice if I could. It’s so true. Mayo have handed a few counties all Ireland medals by beating the main competiture ie Dublin. Unfortunately it’s in semi finals but the alternative is 10 in a row. I told everyone that Dublin would beat Tyrone by 10 points any day they played including last year and people laughed at me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just catching up, happy enough with the McStay appointment, disappointed for Dempsey on a personal level.

I doubt Dempsey was ever going to take Toxic Tim's money, he'd have more sense, even if he didn't think your man was a willy waving liability he'd know it wouldn't fly with the CB.

From what I heard around town McStay had agreed to take over Ballina next year, they were looking for a one year only ticket this year which meant they got a few refusals before the current group took it.

Was at a funeral in Irishtown during the week and all the talk was of where we were getting these high scoring forwards. Conor McStay and Justin Healy were both mentioned but out from that we were struggling to pick lads that weren't already involved but agreed if you have Tommy, ROD and COC you probably have the bulk of your scores anyway, that the remainder just need to pick up 5-6 points per game.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how he gets on and what way he plays. The best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mf 265

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

So Mayo beat the main 'Competiture' ('21)once to hand another County a handy All-Ireland or have you more examples ? I think you trying to say Mayo just poxed beating Dublin that day and should not have been in an AIF.

So Kerry 04,06,Tyrone 21, Kerry 22 were all handy AI, any more ? If Mayo win it in 23 will that be handy because Dublin have slipped back.

Cork 2010 was a handy win for them against a pretty average Down team.

• Advertisement

Do you always disregard Connacht teams as handy teams to beat or just when it's not Mayo? 2010 Cork beat the Connacht Champions by 9 points in the QF, a Dublin team in the semi who the following year would win the All-Ireland. Cork also were in the middle of their 4 or 5 league titles in a row at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I think on the balance of the discussion you can count that Down team as average.

They didn't do a whole lot leading up to 2010 and they didn't do anything of note afterwards. It's a lot different than beating a team in a final that has sustained high levels of performances over a number of years.

You are asking and I am telling you who I think. No idea where you are getting this Connaught bias except for Mayo. 2004/2006 Mayo teams are examples that I gave as well.

Totally. I think it's pretty fair to say that a team needs a consistent level of performances in croke park before they start beating teams who are consistently making semi finals. This year coming is huge for Galway because if the fail to make it to the quarter/semi, it will be viewed as dropping back. Armagh also need to push on as well after this season past. These teams didn't have that pressure on them in the same level as the year coming. It will be interesting to see how they perform with this added pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Winning Connaught is crucial for getting a handy run in croke park..... Really brought galway on this Yr.

It'll be sum match in salthill if galway mayo clash..!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Definitely gave Galway a huge opportunity this year avoiding Tyrone Dublin and Kerry to get to an All Ireland final, that doesn't happen every year. Although Armagh were arguably a bigger challenge than Tyrone this year to be fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it matters less this year.

Whomever wins it likely gets to the Connacht final and gets straight into the group stages.

Whomever loses it will still get in as a third seed by virtue of being a Div 1 team.

And since 2nd and 3rd place teams playoff after the group stages then the chances of making the quarters are still high.

Plus you cannot "avoid" anyone in the quarters or semifinals.

Quarters are open draw group winners v winner of 2nd/3rd playoff.

Semi finals are open draw of quarter finals winners.

While it gives them the opportunity to make the final, they were not ready for a final. It showed in the final when some of their key players did not turn up and it is really a big ask to win it considering that they have not been at the latter end of championship for a good while. You really need to be a special team to win at the first time now.

But since Galway were the Connaught Champions they were always on the opposite side to Leinster and Munster or at least that is what I always thought so they were always going to avoid the Dubs/Kerry.

Well yeah that's my point

In 2022 the winners of Mayo v Galway gave themselves a huge opportunity to get to an All Ireland final because it meant they would always avoid Kerry and Dublin of they went on to win Connacht.

That will not be the case in 2023.

It can't be mapped out that way.

• Advertisement

Have said it before but worth saying again, the Ah Ref podcast is super. Great previews ahead of the club championship kicking off this weekend.

Met Ref in at the league final, the man must see some amount of football

I see Toxic Tim is banned of Twitter, not a moment too soon

Careful now, if enough people talk about him. There will be another new account appear here that isn't him

I'm still waiting on the solicitors letter he threatened me with after asking if I valued my livelihood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

While Timothy is a loose cannon and it was a matter of time, fairly pathetic how Kieran Cunningham got him banned. Started the argument from nowhere and then went crying when replied to

KC is an embarrassing individual. Spends half his time failing to be relevant or funny and the rest pandering to people half his age

None of that deserves to be threatened with violence???? From what I saw he wasn't the only one that reported him.

Post edited by muddle84 on

There's only one embarrassing individual in this and it's not KC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

Meh. KC posted the England stripping pic unprompted to his thousands of followers. Now everyone has to lose out on a reasonably entertaining account because the old man can't take a bit of obviously drunken abuse back. Timmy does know how to go far too far though clearly 😂

We have different definitions of entertaining, guys a bully and going on those tweets a scumbag

You’re wasting your energy there Green and Red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd second this.

Look at that posters history,Toxic timbo is his hero,could actually be him.

Also,that's a real measure of the man with his solicitor and then threats of violence.

What a pathetic person.

Anyone interested in a tipster comp, 2 points for a correct result, 4 for a draw

The Neale v Westport

Ballintubber v Mayo Gaels

Ballaghdereen v Ballina

Knockmore v Aghamore

Claremorris v Breaffy

Balla v Belmullet

Garrymore v Davitts

Mitchells v Charlestown

Bunni v Laherdane

Louisburgh v Crossmolina

Kiltane v Burrishoole

Ballinrobe v Parke

Ballyhaunis v Castlebar B

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts

Kiltimagh v Hollymount

Kilmaine v Kilmeena

Eastern Gaels v Cill Chomain

Moygownagh v Ballycastle

Ardagh v Ballycroy

Swinford v Kilfian

Islandeady v Killala

Achill v Tourmakeady

Lacken v SGC

The Neale v Westport

Ballaghdereen v Ballina

Knockmore v Aghamore

Claremorris v Breaffy

Balla v Belmullet Draw

Garrymore v Davitts

Mitchells v Charlestown

Bunni v Laherdane

Louisburgh v Crossmolina

Kiltane v Burrishoole

Ballinrobe v Parke Draw

Ballyhaunis v Castlebar B Draw

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts

Kiltimagh v Hollymount Draw

Kilmaine v Kilmeena Draw

Moygownagh v Ballycastle

Ardagh v Ballycroy

Swinford v Kilfian

Islandeady v Killala

Achill v Tourmakeady

Lacken v SGC

The Neale v Westport

Ballaghdereen v Ballina

Knockmore v Aghamore

Claremorris v Breaffy

Balla v Belmullet

Garrymore v Davitts

Mitchells v Charlestown

Bunni v Laherdane

Louisburgh v Crossmolina

Kiltane v Burrishoole

Ballinrobe v Parke

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts

Kiltimagh v Hollymount

Kilmaine v Kilmeena

Moygownagh v Ballycastle

Ardagh v Ballycroy

Swinford v Kilfian

Islandeady v Killala

Achill v Tourmakeady

Lacken v SGC

The Neale v Westport

Ballaghdereen v Ballina

Knockmore v Aghamore

Claremorris v Breaffy - DRAW

Balla v Belmullet - DRAW

Garrymore v Davitts

Mitchells v Charlestown

Bunni v Laherdane

Louisburgh v Crossmolina

Kiltane v Burrishoole

Ballinrobe v Parke

Ardnaree v Moy Davitts

Kiltimagh v Hollymount

Kilmaine v Kilmeena

Moygownagh v Ballycastle

Ardagh v Ballycroy

Swinford v Kilfian

Islandeady v Killala

Achill v Tourmakeady

Lacken v SGC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

There are plenty of reasonably entertaining accounts out there, pick another one.

The clown was a glory-seeking bandwagon hopper.

Offered nothing. He's been shown for what he actually is.

Let him hop on board the Engerland WC supporters bus, they're more his style. That's his level.

Took a photo of this in Dundalk railway station. Train ticket to Dublin for the All Ireland final of 1950. Nostalgia eh....

Great piece of nostalgia

But again, like Sean Flannigan smoking as he held up the cup it drives home the reality that it was so so long ago that Mayo won it.

The people with good memories of the event are in their late 70s plus.

As seasons go by and it's not won their number decrease and the numbers of proud Mayo fans that pass away without ever seeing it won increases.

It ok for me, I'm 50, I might have another 25 years in me, but 1996 was 26 years ago, time is flying and winning is no closer.

Sorry if I depressed anyone.

• Advertisement

Advertisement