Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Dempsey will have his work cut out big time.

There's the nucleus of a half decent team there atm but the reality is that any promising young lads are now siphoned off into hurling primarily, and to rugby and soccer to lesser extents but still very much ahead of Gaelic Football.

Football is basically an afterthought in most clubs in the county...in my own local club the football club is actually a separate entity altogether and trying to get access to the pitch for training etc is awkward at best.

Most of my older fella's U-11 games were called off due to no-shows. My younger lad is mad to play as well (after being brought to every Mayo game this year) but I was told there won't be an U9 team this year unless I wanted to manage it myself :-(

So yeah...best of luck Ray 🤞🍀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I think its a decent gig to get for Dempsey. This will be his first taste of senior inter county management and has Div 2 football team to manage with low expectations. If they are relegated they could have a right cut at the Tailteann cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

So a member of management team can come on to the pitch and assault an under 17 player and only gets a two week suspension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I don't have any first hand details but from what I've heard, I think it's bad form of Westport to appeal considering the incident

Not much chat about the semi finals, did Gibbons get off his red?

Ballina & Westport both favourites and would probably make the best final from a football point of view but if it comes down to a low scoring scrappy game, the two underdogs might be better positioned to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Where'd you see about the two week suspension? I wouldn't believe the telegraph if they told me it was Thursday.

IMO the right decision to reinstate Westport, it's not the kids fault that some lunatic can't control his temper. The penalty should be against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The next person thinking about it might be a little more composed if he was thinking of going on to the field to assualt a player and that would get his team thrown out of the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've heard Gibbons got off, quite rightly imo.

That'd be my opinion on it too. Pretty unfair on the kids but it would be a bigger punishment for the mentor knowing he had let his players & club down like that

Exactly, given all that has went on recently, any time a mentor walks onto the pitch (even before anything happens) should be an automatic forfeit of the game and suspension of that mentor imo.

They need to crack down on this very hard but in typical fashion, a half arsed "solution" has been found.

Let the club/mentor apologise to the kids for the error of their ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is there any weekend pass thing for Mayo GAA Tv this weekend? Looks like you have to buy all three games individually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mayo v Roscommon in Connacht QF winners play Galway in SF.

Not an easy route

It also means that a Div 2 team fails to make the Sam McGuire championship because Sligo or Leitrim will get to a Connacht final and thus one of the 16 for the Sam McGuire championship.

Worst draw you could get.

Only if you want to win a Connacht championship though.

If Mayo lose to either Roscommon or Galway they will still go into an All Ireland group as third seeds that could possibly contain as second seeds Sligo or Letrim, or Cork or Clare or Limerick.

Or a bunch of Leinster teams they would have no problem with.

For Division 1 teams like Mayo the provincial championship is now almost irrelevant when it comes to the All Ireland championship.

How does the seeding work do you know? I know prov winners are first seeds and runners up 2nd but after that?

Wrong code

I'd say the third and fourth are then based on league position.

Some end to the Mitchels Westport game, high drama.

Should be an excellent final in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

David Brady won the Meath SFC final with Ratoath today.

• Advertisement

I'm working in Castlebar, you get a good cross section of supporters

Castlebar gutted to have left it behind them, 30 seconds was all they needed to hold out for. Westport delighted, much better than winning handy

Unfortunately Ballina looked very good, Frank Irwin in particular but Ballintubber have only themselves to blame, all three goals were from their mistakes.

Swanny commits about four yellow card offences per game, it'll catch up with him some day

Was at the ladies final in Bekan, Burrishoole the deserved winners, awful game though

Hard way to lose for Castlebar but most of them accepting that it was a game they would have stolen. Still not sure how Scott managed to find himself in so much space, it was very poor defending at the death. The manner of the win could be huge for Westport.

Unlucky with the ladies G&R, but I was happy to see Burrishoole winning it all the same. You know it's a bad game when the Midwest reporter comes straight out and says it. A real shame these games are played a bit earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well it seems this loss made them reconsider their position on the u17 game. They must have just realised that it was serious and report to Tulsa after the weekend loss.

Gaa have now an perfect example to sort this stuff out and stop hiding behind appeals. Cunning move by castlebar but if it was so serious they should have gone at the start..

It's funny what a loss can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Was it not a case of Castlebar responding to Westport appealing the original punishment of 96 week ban for the individual, €1,00 fine and Westport thrown out of the competition and which, on appeal, it was reduced to just a 2 week ban and reinstatment in the competition. I don't blame Castlebar for bringing it to another level considering how soft a punishment was handed out.

If individuals are allowed to assault children on a football field without severe punishment from the County board then it is only right to involve Tulsa. THis behaviour will not stop otherwise.

Well it was over a week ago the decision was given on the appeal. In the mean time they get dumped out of the championship and by Thursday they release a statement around been so concerned about abuse to an underage player about 3 to 4 weeks after the incident.

If this was serious they should have gone straight away to Tulsa. Bringing in Tulsa speaks that this is very serious but it took them nearly a month to decide. It is not just the lunney who is to blame but CM for sitting by and taking nearly a month to report.

They have made themselves look bad in this as well for their lack of action but it would seem that they were more concerned about last sunday.

If you complete any of these underage programmes , there are clear guidelines on reporting abuse and in a timely manner is also important.

They expected the county board to actually have a spine and deal with the issue and not fold at the first appeal. Everyone knows the reason why the ban was reduced.

• Advertisement

I'm not one to fight Mitchels corner but you can't be serious in thinking they are doing all this because they lost a senior semi final...

They were rightly annoyed by the appeal decision. An absolutely crazy decision.

There has been no sense of bitterness from anyone I've spoken to from Mitchels about the game on Sunday. Nearly all acknowledged the better team won and they would have stole the game. Zero evidence of this being sour grapes from what I can see.

The biggest issue is the reduction of the 96 week ban to 2 matches. There is no justification for that.

Genuine question - why was the ban reduced?

Completely agree that 96 weeks down to 2 is a complete joke; as I said previously, I don't think Westport should have appealed

Noone knows why it was reduced. MayoGAA never said why. Just no further comment

Connacht SFC Dates

Quarter-Finals

Saturday/Sunday 8th/9th April

New York v Leitrim, Gaelic Park

London v Sligo, Ruislip

Sunday 9th April

Mayo v Roscommon MacHale Park

Semi Finals

Saturday/Sunday 22nd/23rd April

Mayo/Roscommon v Galway

Sligo/London v Leitrim New York

Final Sunday 7th May

Before then the FBD and all matches bizarrely to be played indoors in the Connacht GAA dome again.

Quarter final

Leitrim v Galway Jan 6th

Semi finals

Sligo v Roscommon Jan 13th

Mayo v Leitrim/Galway Jan 14th

Final set for Jan 20th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Will be a great novelty to have the FBD games indoors with a full crowd allowed in.I think Beacon has a capacity of around 2k so there's an argument to be made those games should be in bigger grounds as they could sell that out 3 times over. However I think that's counter balanced by the fact that the pitch won't be in sh1te and it'll be fast and frantic like last year except with a full house,I think 2k in the Dome would make a serious noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

So what to people think about the upcoming finals?.

I’d be expecting Ballina to come through that one as I’ve heard Westport have a few out through injury.

Can Kilmeena get promoted 2 years running?.

Am hoping Cill Chomáin can do the business in the junior final as well. I’d expect Achill to take the junior B title.

Probably Ballina for me as well but it could go either way. I think Ballina have the two best forwards in Mcstay & Regan and that'll edge it for them. It's a first senior final for most of these players so you don't know how they'll react though. Hopefully will be a decent game

Hard to see past Ballyhaunis in the intermediate and Cill Choman in the junior although I'd love to see Killala pull off a shock win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

It will be a huge test for the new pitch, considering the amount of rain that has fallen in the last two days. The pitch could be destroyed, by the time of the senior final. No one wants to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,981 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Great to see Mayo had a representative at the all stars. Tom Parson's was there to represent the GPA

Slava Ukrainii

Is he not from Offaly?

Ah Bass, why the edit? If you're trying to be a smart arse, the least you could do is be smart about it 😂😂

Post edited by MacDanger on

Yeah, will be a massive test for the pitch, should they have moved the Saturday games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

Well, in fairness, Mayo or Connacht weren't even mentioned in the Orange weather warning. No one was expecting this level of rain.

Jesus but the mayogaatv website has always been a mess but they've reached new heights now, this weekends fixtures all mixed up, different dates and times on different pages, link for one game bringing you to a different game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

go to page.inplayer.com/mayogaa which is a good bit easier to navigate

• Advertisement

Poor enough county final, not enough of Ballinas big players showed up. Well done to Westport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Wasn’t a game for the ages that’s for sure. Congrats to Westport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

Brilliant for lee keegan. Delighted for him. And also David Clark 😁😁

Why would you be delighted for Clarkie losing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

Clarkie that’s a good one. Cost mayo at least one all Ireland with junior b kick outs.

Always nice when hero's like yourself show up on this thread

Delighted Westport won considering this is their first Senior title and in particular for Keegan. They have been showing potential for a few years but it has materialized for them now. I would love if they could go onto win Connaught now.

Sounded like Westport were the better team overall and deserved it. Showed good heart to stay on after ballina got the goal to level it. Sounded like swannie had a big game, tough on him to lose out

Nice to see a new name on it, congrats to Westport. It would be great to see some of the team use it to kickstart their county careers again.

Westport must have been hopping over the weekend, I'm sure Islandeady made the short trip over... pity Kilmeena couldn't have made it a trio of local club wins.

From what I've heard, there's a heavy weekend/stag for Westport next weekend as well, on top of the usual celebrations that go with a first win, a good run in Connaught might be a step too far.

• Advertisement

Mayo NFL fixtures. Saturday night opener against the neighbours and finish up against Monaghan at home. .

Galway (H)

Armagh (A)

Kerry (H)

Roscommon (A)

Tyrone (H)

Donegal (A)

Monaghan (H)

Post edited by blowitupref on

Advertisement