Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a old 26 inch wheel frame

Options
  • 27-07-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭

ok the old aluminium 'o' has seen better days ! BB threads are gone is the main problem

so ive got all the bits 1 1/8 fork, sram x.9 gears front disc (rear is rim brake)

any options for a new frame or just go for new bike ?

mainly used locally on forestry roads nothing massively technical

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve has a couple of frames for sale in the adverts thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

How old is "old"?

The dilemma here is, unless you can get a second-hand frame that's a close fit (and hasn't been beaten senseless), your options for 26" stuff is limited. There are a few companies that manufacturer 26" frames with modern geometry but here in lies the rub; your fork is now useless because you'll want a tapered steerer instead of a straight steerer so there's a few hundred for a new fork alone; you'll need a new rear hub that can take a disc; so there's either a new wheel or a custom build there (probably new since the existing wheel is a rim brake number). Before anything else gets considered, between the frame, fork (and headset), and rear wheel you're into new bike price territory easily. The frames I speak of are not cheap in of themselves to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

"BB threads are gone is the main problem"

I fitted a 'threadless bottom bracket' to an alloy hybrid a few years ago and it solved the problem.e.g.

https://www.ebay.ie/b/Threadless-Bottom-Bracket/177805/bn_7023510911

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep i have a yst one of those its what me through the last few years !

all creaking now , although i must check the ancient spd pedals as well

i was just wondering whether there was any alternatives.

fyi its number 99 of the first batch of aluminium O that came out in about 1992

Advertisement