Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Just caught up with Coveneys robotic coached spoofing. Very poor showing. Gannon fairly nailed him too. What a tangled web FG have woven.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sure they don't need to do anything, it looks like FG are doing what they like and the FF taoisech is powerless (even his own minister has admitted it) and Eamon Ryan is probably off having a nap somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You still haven't explained the parallels with Maria Bailey's situation, which caused her to loose the whip and which you expect to damage Simon Coveney i some way. Also, what's the corruption here?

The worst aspect of this is that it has destroyed what could have been a useful role.

The LGBTQ+ minorities around the world are amongst the most marginalised people out there and in quite a number of countries, all of which are UN members, are even subject to prison or even death sentences for just existing.

Screwing up the process has rendered what could be a useful office impossible now and not only that but has dragged out every right wing conspiracy theorist claiming it’s evidence of some mad agenda.

So Irish Government, maybe go away and think about how your ineptitude and inability to follow your own guidelines and systems has just set the LGBTQ+ back about 10 years instead of creating a really useful office, and appointing someone transparently.

Slow clap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

So you think Katherine the long way around Zappone is the right person for the job,

Using the LGTBQ community as an excuse to fill pockets and lobby for favours? I think we all can do without that.

The job was made up. Watch this space...waiting on the 'important' role getting filled.

Not forgetting the UN has such representation already and one appointed by Biden. So not sure how another (Irish backed) american envoy is so needed.

Zappone was going to use it for free travel and as a stepping stone for bigger things. Coveney, Donohue and Varadkar were hoping she remembered them when they called looking for a Euro job.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,765 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Surely MM has to comment at least on today's events and text messages etc.,

Coveney himself should fall on his sword and resign

I don’t know who was the right person for the job. It was never advertised. That’s the point I’m making.

There are numerous people I could think of off the top of my head who would be excellent advocates, but they wouldn’t have ever been able to apply for a role they didn’t know existed.

The role of a special envoy might have been a good idea. It might have proved very useful from all sorts of points of view, but they went about creating it the wrong way. It also might have been useful if that debate had been taken to a committee or some transparent forum before the role was defined.

My point is that what they’ve done by trying to “help” has actually caused a big controversy and damage to the community that claimed to be trying to help, which is what’s very disappointing.

It absolutely has brought out all sorts of anti LGBTQ stuff on certain platforms (not necessarily here) and that is entirely down to the fact that this was just an absolute fiasco and mess.

If they’ve a genuine commitment to helping LGBTQ+ people around the world, this is not how you go about doing it. It’s just damaging.

Instead of helping, it looks more like using and bandwagon jumping.

All I’m saying is it’s damaging to a vulnerable community and especially at a time when they’re up against a lot of crap in many countries.

We could do without that kind of “help”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Gannon was very good. It's just not believable. He's going to be asked again. I reckon there'll be a motion of no confidence in him yet.

Simon Harris on rte1 saying cabinet leaks are forbidden while he was the leaker to kickstart this whole mess. Oh these lads have some neck. Complete liars.

Was he? Any proof of that at all?

Caitriona Perry almost apologetic having to ask Harris about it at this stage, says it all about how much its blowing over.

We created a more transparent system for the appointment to public boards. That same system should be used for appointment to anything like this too.

There is a clear public expectation of transparency, one which is good to see and I think you are seeing in recent years that the Irish public isn’t willing to accept things that don’t meet that standard.

It's like on many issues, the public is way in advance of the government. This isn’t 1980s/90s Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Harris wasn't expecting that question this evening, I thought he was going to die with the shock, he was just starting to go bright red before the camera turned away, just like a schoolboy caught nicking a few sweets,

Classic.

Exceot that's not what happened.

Just like it wasn't the Government Jet that brought Varadkar to London.

When these are the agendas behind these nonsensical witch hunts, how can anyone expect to land a punch when they have no credibility themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

MM won't get involved. If the Government collapses he's out of his position. They all have their own agenda to take care of.

Maybe it’s post COVID fatigue or something but I just feel kinda depressed tbh.

If there was a general election in the morning, I know who I wouldn’t be voting for, but I would honestly struggle to be enthusiastic about anyone on my likely ballot paper.

I’m just left feeling 😑… is this really the best we can do!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Honestly think we need to clear the whole lot of them out, maybe fence off a section of the Midlands off and put them all inside, Pick a few random people off the street, do a bit of psyche evaluation, should be mandatory for all prospective politicians ,

How is it like the story floated that Varadkar had used the jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Can you just imagine the tension and distrust at the cabinet meetings. Dysfunctional.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Very good point.

Hopefully this shows things are changing.

Very annoyed with recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

Look folks this will all blow over in a few weeks and be forgotten about. It's the same with every political crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SD's to put down a no confidence motion. Split FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Don't know why we are bothering extraditing Gerry Hutch when the government is happy with blatant criminality from Fine Gael, F### just close the Garda stations and burn the courthouses, Let the prison gates open, there's worse in there than is sitting at cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭archfi

I don't think Zappone was the correct choice for such a position in regards to LGB and women and indeed free expression, whether it was needed or not.

She's a TQ+ activist so she was definitely one of the correct choices for this govt's policy and unfortunately, every other main opposition Irish party.

How would she square on the world stage advocating for seperate women's spaces in African/Asian countries to aid women in even receiving education nevermind safeguarding for instance (which is UNWomen policy, ironically named) whilst elsewhere promoting TQ+ theory which sets it's stall absolutely against longstanding and justified sex seperated spaces and indeed that same-sex attraction exists? (TQ+ demands homosexuality is same-gender attraction)

Anyhow, if they ever do try to fill this urgent position I am confident it'll be another TQ+ activist.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Katherine Zappone and her ilk are not going to change anything in any other country. Most countries act to suit themselves, it's only Ireland that bends over backwards to be seen to do the riht thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What I said was entirely factual and verifiable.

you accuse me of posting ‘tripe’ yet your only response is to insult in that manner and to post a ‘link’ rather then engage in the discussion / debate on your own terms .... nice... interesting.

an Cosan btw was set up not by her as a minister, td or any other professional , public capacity. And it was about 35 years ago, might borrow a time machine to dig up something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,765 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FF members are out for Coveney too, surely MM has to say something

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Astonishing but perhaps predictable Radio Silence from Leo & MM after Coveneys appearance today . I get a sense they'll hide for the next week of Dail recess, hoping things will quiten down. Simon Harris was his usual slippery, patronising self on the Rte Evening news, being questioned by Catriona Perry is like having a bed time story read to a child, just dreadful , Harris looked like he was melting into the sofa after one difficult question , horrid little man .

The FOI request for Paschal could be interesting as too will the inevitable leaks from FF & FG think ins, there'll be fireworks and I suspect week one of new Dail will be quite vocal. Will be interesting if a vote of confidence is called.

Shameful Silence from MM , predictable Silence from Leo , Radio silence might be their intention but a week may turn out not to be long enough in Irish Politics.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it the done thing to give Martin a heads up and they never?

There's also the lying.

The problem is they got caught so they need to be seen to address it. If the process is news to them they've no business being in leadership roles.

Do people really believe these kind of things are accidents, to only be addressed by politicians tripping over themselves, in 2021? Seriously? The reality is we need accountability. 'Lessons to be learned' is nonsense spouted to feign ignorance of the rules they created and know how to use to their advantage, usually.

Advertisement