Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yep, I realised that mostly as I was typing, I hadn't checked how much she had spent in that article, but still begs the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

In case anyone doubted why Zappone wanted the job so badly, today's article on her biz class flight lays it bare. She'd have ridden us senseless up and down the island for years and this was perfectly fine with FG. It's just their way. They can't help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is anyone really surprised? This is the person who when she was a TD who took the longest route from her house to the Dail so she could claim the travel expenses. Nothing but a leech. She is not the only leech in the Dail either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No, I think everyone knew it, as her penchant for overspending expenses were exposed a while back, but the people that defended her and the appointment might like to explain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They won't explain why as they never explain the indefensible.

• Advertisement

The people that defend this don't even try give a reasonable explanation, all you ever see is them deflecting from the issue, using the look over there excuse or worse trying to bring other situations into the discussion. Sure last week (i think) the mod had to tell one of the posters to stop going on about a subject that had nothing what so ever to do the topic and then you have the posters that come on and say "Well what are the angry mob angry about today" and not once do they ever put up a credible argument as to why this is ok? They cant even admit it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Nevermind on here, nobody put up a credible defense of it in the Dail during the no confidence vote last week. They nearly all said it was wrong but that Coveney said sorry so that should be the end of it. I say nearly all because those that didn't went on very strange tirades about SF that had zero to do with this issue.

What was striking from listening to a lot of them was that they genuinely believe there should be no repercussions for this carry-on. One lad even said it would send out the wrong message if he was sanctioned. That right there is everything that is wrong with politics right now. They want all the mercs and perks with none of the responsibility.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was a **** show for sure, Vomit enducing stuff but I did get a giggle outta of Heather Humphries wailing across the benches, like a demented Banshee in defence of Coveney and her even more amusing assertion FG is the party of the common people 🤣🤣 she's as deluded as the rest of the FG parliamentary party.

Any updates on that "Serious Consideration " from Harris 🤭🤭

The FA committee meeting again this week I believe, could be interesting .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They never put up a credible defence in the Dáil, all they do is use it to sing the persons praises or to attack the opposition especially the party that has the audacity to lodge a no confidence in the minister. The Dáil unfortunately is treated as a joke shop by TD's, Leaders questions is ridiculous were no questions are answered and the Taoiseach or Minister just get up and waffle on to run down the clock but never address the issue that was asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the job would allow her to move between her homes on expenses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah, some of us copped that from the get go. Imagine if you spent a lot of time between Dublin and New York, and you landed a plum job that allowed you to do so, at someone else's expense. Zappone was on the pigs back.

(And she would have gotten away with it too If it wasn't for those meddling kids)

Btw, has Harris lodged his angry complaint about being named in the Dail as the leaker he's seriously considering making?

He's seriously dragging his heels me thinks 🤔

He is giving it his utmost consideration. Maybe he is too busy tiktoking that he hasn't had time to submit the complaint.

Sorry for quoting myself, but even Leo Varadkar hasn't contradicted what Carthy said in the Dail. My guess why? Because Leo is afraid of his arse that some journalist somewhere has the full details of this kangaroo court 🤞

Join the dots lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You'd have to wonder how many crony appointments have taken place since FG took power in 2011 and how many of those are creaming it on expenses etc. FG TDs like Dara Murphy, Farrell, Bailey and Mulherins have shown there is a culture of expense abuse.

We were lucky to hear about Zappone and deeper dives have revealed the taxpayer abuse.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Can you imagine what would be found if an audit was done on these appointments and if the correct procedures were followed when appointing them? So much is hidden from the public by not only politicians but those working in the civil/public services. It is only when a light is shone on the carry on that we get a glimpse of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

On another thread I was told that the appointment of Zappone was not a secret. I then asked "If it was hardly a secret how come MM never knew about it?"

The reply I got was "Since when did Micheal Martin become all-knowing. It's not a secret that I was out for a few pints last night, but neither you nor him know about it.

You have asked one of the silliest questions ever."

My response was "Why have I asked a silly question? I have asked an obvious one. I never said MM was all knowing but I did state if it was no longer secret why did MM not know about it? You would think that MM would know everything that his cabinet is doing or planning to do?"

The response I got was a major 101 deflection "I wouldn't think that Martin would know everything that his cabinet is doing or planning to do!! Does he know what Paschal is having for dinner tonight, for example?"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sorry for quoting you too, it is unfortunate, but you were warning me about something to come in the following days papers. I am still waiting to see what it is you were warning me about. Maybe in a few years, if something comes out, I will comment.

😂😂😂

The appointment of Zappone wasn't a secret, neither is it a secret that you are posting something on this thread that was on another thread.

Martin didn't know about either thing happening, hence you have an answer to your question, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

It was a secret to everyone outside of the top lads in Fine Gael. Or are we to expect Martin to ask FG randomly if they've appointed any envoys they forgot to tell him about? 🤔

In fact Coveney, Varadkar and Donohue lied about how it came about once it was revealed at the virtual last minute.

The top lads in FG are liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Imagine if we had a few good freelance journalists doing a bit of digging around Leinster House, I would say they would make a good living out of it, the whole Zappone expenses would only be the tip of an iceberg.

Sorry for quoting you too, it is unfortunate, but you were warning me about something to come in the following days papers. I am still waiting to see what it is you were warning me about. Maybe in a few years, if something comes out, I will comment.

Oh dear, seems you not only misread what Varadkar said about "contradicting" Carthy, but you misread me too.

I never warned you about anything blanch, if you think I did, throw the quotes up there for me to get a laugh at.

It was the same as the amount of people you could have at a party outdoors, seemingly everyone knew about it except Tourism Ireland, the entertainment industry and most ordinary folk and it took the invention of the AG when Varadkar caught up in to clear up those matters. 😀

We are going around in circles as you edge closer to agreeing with me.

I said at the beginning of this round the houses discussion that something isn't a secret if more than one person knows about it. You have just confirmed it wasn't a secret on that basis.

Blanch, you seem to have to inside track on all things FG, can you possibly let us all know when Simon Harris gets beyond his "Serious consideration " and lodges that complaint about his stellar reputation being questioned.

Thanks 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So what is the conspiracy of the day, that Zappone wanted a 15k gig so she could fly between her home in the US and her home in Ireland, that was put up for sale in Ireland in July.....

em...... ok :)

Don't know where you got that idea from, my friend, but I am just an ordinary anonymous internet posters, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

She refused to appear to answer questions.

That tells you all you need to know about the entire situation, its so rotten that she wont say a word about it on the record.

The electorate who declined to vote for her last time round should take a bow.

• Advertisement

Your certainly no friend of mine, whilst certainly annoymous , your also quite transparent in your insistance in defending the indefensible. I'd understand a little if there was a single point you've made that was coherent in relation to the topics at hand, instead you spend your time bizzarely trying to dismiss any notion of Shenanigans whilst simultaneously trying to rewrite others comments and posts.

But in fairness, I do get a giggle out of your own Shenanigans so to speak and the regular corrections thrown your way 😉

Advertisement