Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sorry @suckit I included the wrong post. Nothing wrong with yours. I Should have included this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Ha ha ha. People are just giving out because Katherine Zappone is a female, "people think she's FG" (where?) and no-one would be talking about her repeatedly if she was a man.

This is satire right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,415 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah comes on, what excuse can you use when the following have been used unsuccessfully; GDPR, SF/NI, Delusion, Homophobia, Didn't feel like cronyism/lobbying, Attorney General approves, Other countries more corrupt.

There is a defined checklist for these things rather than accept wrongdoing and acknowledge accountability is required.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defence will discuss the proposed appointment of Dr Katherine Zappone as Special Envoy to the United Nations with the Secretary to Government and Secretary General at the Department of An Taoiseach, Martin Fraser, at a meeting in Leinster House, tomorrow Wednesday, 29 September at 5.15pm.

Mr Fraser is scheduled to appear virtually in Committee Room 2 for the discussion.

Committee Cathaoirleach Charlie Flanagan TD said: “The proposed appointment of Dr Katherine Zappone to a Special Envoy role has been the source of considerable controversy and debate. The Committee agreed to invite the Secretary to Government to discuss the proposal made to Government to appoint Dr. Zappone as a special envoy and we look forward to hearing further detail in respect of the proposed appointment.”

Watch the meeting live.

Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There'll be some hoping for a power cut around 5.10 pm 😏😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

When is Coveney before the PAC?!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Wasn't it supposed to be around the end of Sept?

Yeah that was my understanding, which leaves today or tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Martin Fraser, the man who Varadkar claimed left info about the Zappone makey-up job on Martin's desk the night before the cabinet meeting is being grilled this evening.

A few possible outcomes; Varadkar makes Martin look like a tit, if true or Varadkar is proven as a liar yet again or Varadkar tries to hang Fraser.

We've already had Varadkar apologising for not informing him ahead of time but then saying he did.

Will Martin take any action either way? Unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No shame on me whatsoever. The joke is on you if anything for failing to see the reality of what was at play here.

Ireland is on the UN Security Council for 2 years. Its a massive responsibility, a huge challenge and a great opportunity.

The Government is buried in Covid and Brexit- NI Protocol rockfalls and still has to oversee the rest of their brief and focus on the UN. At cabinet level that means massive agendae, late and extra meetings, in camera meetings and overall a clutter of communications, far greater and more complex than would be typical.

It was obvious to everyone that someone like Katherine Zappone would be excellent as a special envoy in that discipline, someone that could hit hard in the temporary window available on the UNSC and actually make some impact in a World where see see minority and gender rights going into reverse.

The fact that the protocol for bringing that forward as an action fell down, was miscommunicated by several pairs of hands and ended up causing upset at Cabinet was a great pity and to be regretted, but it never would have passed either way without the Taoiseach's assent and ultimately even if the process had gone immaculately, it still would have been decided at cabinet, just as a whole bunch of similar appointments happen every single week.

If people see this as filthy, as cronyism, as nepotism, as corruption, then I can't change their mind, but I would ask them to look around the World at real examples of those behaviours and the damage they can do to millions and ask themselves to judge the situation on that basis, ask them to reserve judgement to maintain perspective for real attempted acts of abuse of process and corruption, of which we can all point to plenty even in this State and save a little energy for them.

Except she made up a job and FG rubber stamped it. There is already a US based UN envoy for freedom of speech and the like. I believe there's a laundry list of these types of positions.

Where is the talk of replacing Zappone if this position is as you insist?

She wanted a job to use as a stepping stone to better things and FG obliged and lied about it. Don't forget the lies.

Seems the pitch now is it's gone from a nothing burger to a nationally important Big Mac.

No shame on me whatsoever. The joke is on you if anything for failing to see the reality of what was at play here.

Ireland is on the UN Security Council for 2 years. Its a massive responsibility, a huge challenge and a great opportunity.

So important and challenging that the Irish government hasn't even tried replacing this role of the utmost importance...

If you believe that shyte you're posting Lar, the joke is most definitely on you.

It was obvious to everyone that someone like Katherine Zappone would be excellent as a special envoy in that discipline, someone that could hit hard in the temporary window available on the UNSC and actually make some impact in a World where see see minority and gender rights going into reverse.

It was obvious to no-one less than Katherine Zappone, because Katherine Zappone tailored the job description and requirements to fit Katherine Zappone.

The rest of your post doesn't improve much I'm afraid.

Was only a few months ago we were told to ignore it and sure it was only part time. Now it's super(mac) important.

If people see this as filthy, as cronyism, as nepotism, as corruption, then I can't change their mind, but I would ask them to look around the World at real examples of those behaviours and the damage they can do to millions and ask themselves to judge the situation on that basis, ask them to reserve judgement to maintain perspective for real attempted acts of abuse of process and corruption, of which we can all point to plenty even in this State and save a little energy for them.

Not sure how it could be seen as nepotism, but definitely IS the other two. No ifs, buts, or matter of opinion. It is a fact. If it wasn't, there wouldn't have been the secrecy followed by the outcry. Pointing at worse behaviour doesn't make this okay. It was unlikely she was even the best person for the job.

This was basically Simon Coveney and Zappone looking at the magic money tree and disregarding that the money comes off the back off hard workers around the EU, and between them decided that she should get it. The arrogance is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is the key point. Ultimately it is a non-story.

When things like this happen during a government, people get annoyed, the government's vote drops in a few uneventful opinion polls, they get hammered in unimportant mid-term local elections, but when the general election comes around and people reflect on who they want in Government or as Taoiseach, they are less likely to vote for the head of the pitchfork-wielding mob, fearing they could be next.

So can't refute the substantive point so revert to a gif?

The Gif pretty much sums up yours and others assertions of a nothing to see here narrative, this nothing to see here story that's being rumbling on for months now. The gif also hilarious 🤣

I think I can safely say the majority of us on this thread are Tired, refutting the absurdities that pop up occasionally by the determined deflection brigade.

• Advertisement

Search through this thread blanch, the "nothingburger" style posts such as yours have been "refuted", debunked, exposed etc etc etc for the absolute horse manure that they are countless times already.

You're resorted now to comical Ali style "this is nothing, we are winning the PR battle" style posts.

Pitiful tbh, but dam funny too. 😅

He confirmed 2 , but possibly 3 leaks from cabinet prompted inquiries during his time in the current role.

"on no occasion have I been able to locate person who did it, there are people who know who they are, I am not one of those people"

Anyone any suspects in mind?

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gosh, it's just occurred to me, those 6 letters are probably the most coherent thing you've put together in month's, well done. But of course I throw the same advice back to you 🔙

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

Thats just horse shite,you know it ,we know it,we know you know it, you know we know you know it.I'm actually embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Absolutely. Zappone is an absolute no-name at the UN and in the world generally and is not a professional career diplomat with a reputation and goodwill built over decades. Hard hitting my eye - you may as well send Bosco over.

The article was probably posted on the this thread already, but an anonymous diplomat from Iveagh House was of the opinion : "what use is a person to us if she has to go scrimping to Simon Coveney for an introduction to Samantha Power?"

I guess more information will have to come out before it is possible to make an informed opinion, but right now the AG defending the KZ get together and then being defended himself by Leo yesterday, after himself getting the job last year under similar circumstances, smells a bit funny. Also a bit weird the Leo wanted to go straight to him to allow EP to go ahead.

Like I said though, more information would be needed before jumping to any conclusions.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/attorney-general-blames-covid-for-prolonging-involvement-in-private-work-after-appointment/ar-AAP0IPh

What smells a bit funny? And what is a bit weird?

The key result is that when cronyism or lobbying is mentioned in the next general election campaign, voters will automatically think FG 1st and FF a close 2nd.

• Advertisement

The Fine Gael New Politics document from 2011! 😂

It stinks now!

Advertisement