Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,170 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My suspicion is that cameras and phones were banned actually.

I don't think the Merrion Hotel event was a bumbling shambles at all (the aftermath is most definitely) seamus, I think they knew exactly what they were doing, they just didn't expect to be caught.

I am wondering is it policy to ban cameras and phones at these events. It's the only logical explanation, because if a photo showed that they were in compliance you can be damn sure it would long ago be out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I would've thought it was more a case of those attending the celebrations had been forewarned about cameras/phones and not to bring them, or at least not to be taking photo's whilst in attendance. This is a government who have had to resort to setting up stings on members of the cabinet leaking info afterall. Nothing would surprise me about them, but thankfully it looks like the days of the powerswap, and their blatant abuse of power, corruption and cronyism is on its dying days.

I certainly don't envisage Leo getting his second go at "teesh" after this, and Coveney hasn't exactly come out of it smelling of roses either, and I'm sure I'm not the only one now who will be having second thoughts on his suitability as an alternative leader to Leo.

They funked up big time Seamus, this is actually more serious than what went down at Golfgate when all is said and done. Not the event in itself, but the blatant cronyism and corruption that's emerged since. The AG being wheeled out to protect Leo breaking guidelines won't be forgotten about for a long time by the electorate and the opposition.

We all know it what went on and has followed was a clusterfcuk of epic proportions, but only some of us will admit it.

There's also the fact Leo is still under criminal investigation too. Tell you what, they may be the government of chaos and confusion, but dam it, they're some entertainment, let's hope it's brought to an end soon before it damages our society beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From the Indo article

The extraordinary comments came as Restaurants Association of Ireland chief executive Adrian Cummins accused the Government of doing his members out of money by not telling them they could host large outdoor parties for up to 200 people.

Mr Cummins has spent the last month telling restaurant owners they could not host large events outdoors as this is what was stated in the Fáilte Ireland guidelines for the industry.

Hospitality businesses have lost a huge amount of revenue due to confusion over guidelines,” he said.

Massive can of worms has now been opened. Just yesterday there was an operator of drive in cinemas saying that he was told he could not open and had lost 50,000 euro in revenue as a result. Now the restaurateurs and hoteliers are saying they were refusing bookings and have lost huge amounts of money off large parties because of the guidelines handed down. This is going to get really messy, lawyers will be rubbing their hands with glee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

You just quoted the part when I say they have questions to answer :-)

The conversation is about expenses fraud and yes all parties have questions to answer, plus independents ( and FG in case you missed that part again)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

All this just to save Leo Varadkar, Is he really worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

It was all about the expenses.

Others aren't as dim as Fianna Gaelers and twigged it early. Seems it has to be spelt out repeatedly for you and your buddies.

One of them is trying to paint the fiasco as a dastardly plot by shrewd politicos to deflect attention from......

It's going swimmingly. The demonstration of contempt, incompetence, lying, cowardice and a total absence of loyalty is entertaining all the same

Golfgate Mark 2. Who is the next lamb for sacrifice?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Adrian Cummins is a complete Buffoon, represents very, very few in the industry, he's been the go to MOAN whinge bag for the past 17 months, couldn't give a Toss about hospitality staff. One minute he's bitching about government, next he's saying how wonderful they are, followed by absurd legal threats.

A clown of the highest order and now suggesting his members done out of money🙄, he might have a chat with that publican in cork, awash with state grant money, payroll subsidies.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Except they were in compliance. you don't need photos to prove that it was legal.

"Banning" phones is unlikely. Can you really see people voluntarily handing over their phones at the door? Remember this was a going away party organised by Zappone, not a Galway tent event.

"Please no photography" signs dotted around sounds more likely. And you also have to remember that many/most of the guests were political figures or people who move in those circles, who know better than to take photos. When's the last time you saw a photo leaked from any private political event? From an Ard-Fheis, or inside the Galway tents? You don't. Because they know better than to take random photos with their phones, and it's a massive faux-pas to do so.

It's when someone outside the circle takes a picture that it gets out - like the Healy-Raes, and the funeral, and the rest.

A lot of supposition and makey up stuff there.

Also, how do you know who was there?

It’s not the only logical explanation. It’s actually the most illogical explanation but nothing new on these thread so no surprise

• Advertisement

It’s an event with TD, business men etc. No need for signs up. Plenty of meetings happen all over Ireland and no need to stick up signs asking for no photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aren't we all just engaging in supposition and makey up stuff? You claim phones were banned without a shred of evidence for it, and then move on to suppose that a lack of photos is therefore proof that everyone was there twirling their moustaches in glee that they were getting away their dastardly event.

If there is no evidence to prove innocence, one must be guilty, right?

Again with the pathetic defence. Keep going you are doing a sterling job.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

when revenue audit a company they will always go throughly check the expenses

why? Revenue know it is where people will try and distribute money and gifts tax free.

15000 plus expenses for that role could easily mean expenses of 100K

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am looking forward to the radio talk shows at the weekend. I wonder who the government will push out to face the music.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Apologies ,haven't read the whole thread ,have we established who paid for the gig ,I doubt The Merrion does chicken and chips in a basket for a fiver

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

30 trips to NY on business.

ew Oregon-NY$600.00 / 3 day stay Fitzpatrick NY $600.00in

Total $36 000.00

30 trips to Dublin on business.

ew Oregon-Dublin$1200.00 / 5 day stay Merrion Hotel $2000.00(length of stay picked out of my orse)

total €96 000.000.

Can we see now the point of this "appointment"?

"Fully vouched" expenses all paid for by you.

What was that salary again? €15000.00 (not forgetting that is before tax )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Lol don't hate the player hate the game, is that it Seamy 🤣 all illegal/immoral/unethical activity goes unpunished if its not highlighted/caught.

The stupidity of your last few posts is pretty spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Apparently it was Healy Rae's daughter that took them recent photos! It was her name on the snapchat anyways! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

To be fair, politicians and the like love getting their photo taken. At an event be it communion or farewell numerous people would use their mobile to take a snap. Are we saying the Tanaiste was there and no Zappone benefactor or supporter wanted a selfie with him? Come off it.

I was at a concert pre-covid and no photography was allowed. The price of the tickets, I filled my boots with photos.

If there was a call for no photos at the Merrion event I would find that very telling. Like the mobster at the Corleone wedding getting his heavy to take the photographers camera :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

If that's the case they knew they were pulling a stroke. As I said elsewhere how did Zappone organise an event in the Merrion when the Tanaiste and the entire industry were unaware such an event was allowed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

You might very well think that. And you might very well be right.

But there's probably a few hundred owners listening to him and agreeing with what he's saying.

But at the moment it reads like the Merrion were the only ones who knew how to interpret guidelines correctly... and Danny Healy Ray lol.

Also there's the minor matter of wheeling out the Attorneys General to mansplain to us that it was actually rain falling on our heads and not the spinmasters pi55ing on us.

I completely agree as you'll see from my previous posts but as someone who spent years in hospitality, I can confirm few in the industry take Adrian Cummins seriously Albeit I also agree, ears pricked up at the thought of a few bob floating about

And just to add, Cummins welcomed the updating of guidelines yesterday, guess what, he's just said they are unworkable 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

But at the moment it reads like the Merrion were the only ones who knew how to interpret guidelines correctly... and Danny Healy Ray lol.

Another way of looking at it, Did the Merrion have an insider tip, and the Healy Rays did'nt give a a shiny shyte for guidelines anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Communions and Confirmations to be back in Sept

Public health advice fairly out the window now.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's going to be open season (and carriages) now. Just in time for school openings, colleges etc. It's beginning to sound like Christmas 2020 all over again, what was it Leo said🤔 meaningful Christmas if I recall

Advertisement