Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Haughey was a very capable politician though unlike the incompetent stooges we have now.

Varadkar, Martin, Harris and Ryan arent fit to run a corner shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Your clearly missing the point.

This is national Broadcaster & for years essentially cleared its news room and indeed other high profile programs of staffing, permitting it seems to allow everyone go on holidays at one time.

How long do you suspect a normal business would last with that approach. This aside from the fact RTE has a public service obligation.

This carryon nothing new, with the exception of the building industry I know of no other business that essentially shuts down for weeks on end during the summer. Let's not forget the constant whinging about licence fee, continued losses and some pretty exorbitant salaries being forked out.

Of course people entitled to holidays, but RTE just take the P***.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Annd9

I could be wrong but I think most of the top heads in RTE are "contractors" so they would have no real say in what holidays people can take .

Leo has an uncanny knack of apologising for doing nothing wrong (in his mind of course), he clearly says there were no rules broken and then says no Guidelines were PROBABLY, broken 🤔, confused? Leo certainly is.

• Advertisement

The contractors are actually the Alledged self employed personalities, not news room or political staff.

Two examples

The Odious Joe Duffy, and I wish he was on holidays, dreadful S****over the past 2 weeks.

Ryan Tubridy, gone I believe for over 3 weeks and it's been wonderful.

I'm open to correction but all correspondents employees as are news readers.

I should also point out, the Team covering the annual exodus do a great job, Mary Reagan, Sharon Tobin, Tommy Mescal, to name just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Italy shuts down every August basically.

Most businesses close.

Don't see the relevance in this.

Clearly you don't so best not dwell on it, Italy 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Varadaker = beaten docket

• Advertisement

I have no allegiance to any party and find most independents ridiculous, but Jesus, varadkar fucked himself tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo has an awful habit of disappearing from his otherwise high profile presence on twitter every time he makes a royal screw up, check his Twitter timeline if you like for yourself, went almost a week without tweeting after the leaking incident, and he's not tweeted anything since 30 July from memory. That's the mark of a coward if you ask me.

Yes he made a few absolute clangers tonight, contraindicated himself numerous times, and looked a bit out of sorts, I wish the man no harm personally, (even if I do believe he's a thoroughly unlikeable) but I am completely of the belief that we are witnessing the beginning of his end. I think his goose is cooked.

Him and Coveney have had the taste of power now for far too long, their main problem is who to replace them. Up until the kapponyism, I'd have said Coveney should replace Leo, but not anymore.

FF might be able to claw something back for themselves if they grew a collective pair and reacted to their nonsense.

I did find that jarring. As someone who finds sinn fein slightly more odious than varadkar, it was unnecessary and an immediate deflection.

This is Leo's swansong

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That party was a congratulations on your new Job kinda party. The best part of all was that it turned out to be her leaving do!! classic.

Of course thats what it was, Zappone throwing a shindig for those who helped her get the makey uppey job with unvouched expenses so she could live the high life in Manhattan. The Irish taxpayer has dodged a bullet here not having to fund her lifestyle in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Anyway Id say this Sundays newspapers will be interesting because so far we only know 3 out of the 50 people who were at this bash - Zappone, Varakdar and Ivana Bacik. Theres a fair bit of public CCTV right outside the Merrion Hotel viewable by both the Gardai and Dublin City Council employees. Id say a few other politicians will be sweating this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It's not people taking holidays so much that bothers me, but I never understood how the rest of the world reduces its news worthiness level to coincide with RTE staff holidays. Why else would the Six One news be cut by half an hour and one presenter for holiday times?

If people go on holidays, fair enough... but make sure the content is covered, otherwise we might just ask why it takes extra people and time to do the job during the rest of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Leo made sure McInerny was locked in the radio studio while he went on the 6.1 (nice timing lad) Tobin didn't do too bad a job considering hard hitting interviewing is not really her thing. She is a competent reporter and stand-in newsreader and far better than Sharon Ni Diva.

Had Perry been there she'd have been stroking the back of Leo's hand reassuringly while asking him lovely soft questions. Washington correspondent and then straight into a co-anchor on the 6.1! Wtf? Oh yeah, she's a NKM girl.

Sarah Mc...perfect fit for the R1 'Today with......show' but no, Claire Byrne gets it. Oh yeah, Claire's a NKM girl.

RTE are a ****ing disaster and it went a bit under the radar this week that the chronically incompetent Forbes has selflessly decided to stay on the gravy train for two more years (about 700k worth) to implement cost saving measures <pac>

Excellently put 😉 PS, found those privacy settings you advised me to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 69,172 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Frankly can't believe Martin isn't taking this opportunity. Unless his silence means he is going to do something soon.

A real chance to claw back some cred for FF and he is silent, you'd wonder is FG holding something over him at this stage.

FF backbenchers and party members must be livid.

• Advertisement

I agree but I think FF as terrified as FG about an election, but MM needs to demand a scalp or loose whatever credibility he has left which is very little at present

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Never said everything closes there.

And you said nothing ever closes for holidays except construction.

Just showing your wrong.

As I said this RTE vendetta about holidays or whatever you started is ridiculous and irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

KZ

I'm not going to entertain your childishness but do suggest you read back (perhaps slowly) your actual post.

It is relevant that the national Broadcaster asleep at the wheel and incidentally, you've clearly missed, perhaps deliberately my compliments of those in RTE holding the Fort. I've no vendetta as you put it, but certainly object to RTE, funded by tax payers, practically closing down for weeks.

Good night

If FG caused an election over this I think they'd plummet at the polling booths. They'd never be able to talk about anything else through the campaign.

Micheál would be on a hiding to nothing if he demanded a scalp.

The absolutely depressing fact is, I would have genuinely nobody to vote for.

I trust none of the main parties and the independent candidates are mostly lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Social Democrats have shown themselves to be effective and honest. Only 6 TDs but they seem to have more competence and integrity than the entire cabinet. Check out your local SD candidate.

That said, I voted for Catherine Connolly (Ind) last time out and she has been superb, especially at exposing the Mother and Baby home whitewash report which is yet another stain on the FFG power swap.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They may hush up and take it. Because its bad for them if they do nothing, but it's a damn sight worse for them if they do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was out at my mothers house this evening when he appeared on the TV.

He was looking down and up and down and left... mustn't have wiped the seat properly, he looked very uncomfortable. But roughly 20-30 minutes after the interview, my mothers friends had been walking past the house and came in a bit to sit at the garden table, I was fixing a few plants and overheard them asking if they had seen Leo on the TV (both of these women would be fairly hardcore FG. One denies it, but always admits voting for the local lad because she plays bridge or something with his mother).

Anyway, I looked straight over, and they all had a few eye rolls.. It was funny. Then came their opinion. All three agreed, Sick and tired of him, he has made a lot of gaffes, and if there was a more capable person fronting FF at the minute, Leo would be leaving that interview knowing that his days are truly numbered.

Leo has been very lucky with a lot of things in his timing - being in the right place at right time, I have read it before and noticed it before. I'm not referring to him coming out as the referendum approached,

But it was great to hear at least a few people finally coming around to the opinion that he is not as capable as he would bullsh*t you to believe. And there are more coming around by the day.

• Advertisement

I am struggling to think of many in the country bar the diehards who would blame Martin if he took action.

Advertisement