Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 2nd hand runners in good condition

• 28-07-2021 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey

Mods, I hope it's ok to post this.

Homeless Mobile Run on FB are looking for runners - mostly size 9 shoes required - but any other sizes you might have available would be great. They should be in fairly good condition and suitable for homeless people walking the streets.

Please pm me if you can help and are in Dublin for drop off.

Thank you!

Post edited by ultrawoman on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning,

Happy to donate. Have 2 F and 1 M ready to go anyway and will search for more.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Well done, I did this a few years ago in Cork. A local running shop came on board and they had a basket for people to drop them in. It was good for them as it brought foot fall also. The local shelter would collect them when the basket was full. I did it for a few years. Then I got a call from said charity from someone on the payroll who was a fundraising supervisor who got annoyed with me for doing this though it was running before they had started. I told her that if she didn't want them I had a taker in Dublin for the same. Left a sour taste in my mouth. There are some real rotten people working in some charities.

Best of luck and hope you don't have the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

I just want to thank those of you who donated shoes on Sunday. I delivered 16 pairs in total, and the homeless shelter were absolutely delighted. I plan on doing another group donation at the end of August (possibly before) so will be in touch with those of you who have messaged me since, and will put out a call again in the coming weeks for more donations.

Thanks again and I for one am delighted that I finally have somewhere to send my good shoes where I know they'll be put to good use.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Would recommend asking a local shop to get involved as a drop off point. It is perfect that people bring their older pair when they are getting their new pair. I got prob about 70-80 pairs this way as the shop also promoted it on social media etc but were selective on what was allowed and not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Always nice to see our kicks get an extended life.

Another route to consider is via Sanctuary Runners, we organised a gear and runner drive for the Bray group this summer.

I have pm'd those of you who contacted me previously regarding donations of runners so please check inboxes, thank you! Doing a drop on Sunday for 'Homeless Mobile Run'.

thanks!

• Advertisement

A heartfelt thank you to the very kind Boardsies who donated to the latest collection for Homeless Mobile Run, and a big shout-out to those who went to extra trouble to transport the runners directly to me.

We donated 30 pairs of running shoes and some tracksuits (very many thanks, G., they went down very well!) to help our homeless friends through the winter.

I'll organise another collection before Christmas, so please pm if you're in North Dublin (9, 11, 3, 7) and have spare runners that are in good condition and suitable for walking. (please clean and tie shoelaces together for collection/drop-off).

Thank you :)

Advertisement