Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a separation agreement need to be witnessed>

Options
  • 29-07-2021 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭

Does a separation agreement need to be witnessed by a solicitor when signing? I want something the can be used to prove the two years separation when it is time to divorce. Also I heard that if my current wife is a housewife and I get shopping and include items for her then it might be considered us not being separated? She is a housewife so has no income right now. Any experienced voices appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭dubal

Shopping is not an issue. As long as you both confirm you are not a couple there is no issue.

And yes it needs to witnessed by a commissioner of oaths.

Why would you get separated and not just divorced?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is not a judicial separation I am after, just an agreed separation between us. Also a separation agreement can be used as a stepping stone to aid in the long quest to get Divorced from what I have read, for one it is dated so the courts will be aware of when the separation started(which is actually a few years ago but we have only hashed our terms out recently) that could then be used to prove two years have past, I intend to have a DIY 'Divorce by Consent' so myself and my current wife can have a smooth Divorce with out legal representation.

I did the state mediation service. They documented the agreement which was signed by us both and witnessed by the mediator only.

It formed the basis for the divorce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement