Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing hob size in granite counter top

• 29-07-2021 11:02am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope I’m asking this in the right area… 😳

I’m buying a house which has black granite/quartz style kitchen countertops. Currently there’s a 4 burner electric hob installed, but I plan to swap it out for a gas one. Ideally, I’d like to put in a 5 or 6 ring gas hob, which obviously will be bigger than the current one. I’m assuming the cut-out in the counter will also need to be larger to accommodate the bigger hob - is it possible to enlarge the existing cut-out in the stone counter or are we stuck with the size we have? I know it’s possible with the chipboard/laminate type counters but would imagine the stone would be more difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

It's definitely possible - obviously assuming the existing piece is wide enough for what you want, there'd be tolerences regarding how close to the edge they will go.

Any worktop providers will be able to do it. Haven't a clue how much it would cost - removing it could be a pain (I doubt its the kind of thing they could do in situe)- are there upstands on it, what size is the single piece will all come into account.

If you're in dublin, I'd recommend trying Atelier stone on the greenhills road. I've recommended them here in the past and others have had good experiences too. They did some one off window sills for me, supply only, and were very helpful. They might give you a ballpark price over the phone - try to have as much info as possible re size etc

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks for that! It's the removing it bit that would make me question whether it's worth doing - the piece in question is the main section of the counter, which is about 3m long. I'd be concerned that the tiles/backsplash would need replaced if they were damaged during removal. I'll give Atelier Stone a ring and see what they say, thanks for the suggestion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I may be a bit late replying, but this company will recut the granite in-situ : http://www.cmgraniteworks.ie/

I haven't used them myself but am looking at the possibilities. What did Atelier Stone say ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just seeing this now, sorry for the late reply. We ended up managing to get a 5 burner hob that fit in the existing cavity, it was a Smeg 70cm one, so it made it much more straightforward.

Atelier Stone were very helpful in suggesting hob brands, and they also confirmed that if we did need the cavity increased, they would do the cutting in situ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement