Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

2 seconds more daylight today for my location :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interesting that the reporter on the nine news there said a cold January would make it hard for schools to remain open

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Maybe the reporter took a peep at the CFS 12z and decided upon himself that it's going to verify!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

The projections that are posted up here are absurd .even at this stage met.ie is outperforming all the weather boffins on here so far this winter . Happy Christmas boffins .☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very mild out there tonight with most stations reporting 11 or 12 degrees at 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Ah yes but we've already gained about 2 minutes in the evening. The latest sunrises are yet to come.

Thanks for that insight. You do realise posters are just describing what the models show at that particular time? They're not forecasts or projections.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Well said.

Model watching and weather forecasting are 2 very different but related beasts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today could be almost mistaken for a typical December day in southern Spain. Gin blue skies and feeling warm in the sun. Exceptionally mild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep it was beautiful, great few hours spent out + about in the park without been cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Yes I took on board all the interesting replies but like most things we can't tell the future so I guess trying to say we will have a potential white Christmas on November 5th by looking at some charts. Means you are giving false hopes these charts are changing while ye sleep .so I think advice would be stick to met.ie would be helpful to ye in 22 .

Incredibly mild today in Cork, very muggy. I see MTC is suggesting we could hit 14-15 on Mon Tue. Met Eireann app has 8-9 so models are obviously still all over the place!

If we had the right conditions 15 even 16C is possible next week. Horrible mild drizzle Atlantic muck today. Yesterday was beautifully sunny so the mild was pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

My brother in Vancouver is set for icy cold Conditions and by Monday temperatures by night - 16c and by day - 5c

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

One of the mildest Christmas eves I can remember in Cork. People out and about with no jackets mostly.

I'd much prefer something seasonal, at least it ended up dry and sunny tho 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is it global warming that is bringing such unseasonal temps?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Wet, windy and mild Christmas. I’d like to say I’m surprised but I’m really not.

Its actually dropped to 6.2c in Arklow and is foggy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

11.4c here in Dublin. Raging don’t know where I packed away my summer shorts.

Nah it's not that unusual to get mild weather in December. Off the top of my head in recent years Christmas 2011 and 2015 were 12-13 degrees here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Window open to let the heat out.

Nothing unusual about 13/14C as we get it most December/Christmas periods. We've only had 2 or 3 cold Decembers since the year 2000 and the last one was 2010. Last December was relatively mild except for the last week. The year before that was the December of 13C day and nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Merry Christmas from South Eastern Poland.

My first white Christmas here and my first since 2010.

Started around 4am and has just started to fizzle out now.

Had thunder snow on Tuesday.

Temperatures expected to fall between -15 -18 this evening and current cold spell to last till Wednesday with periods of snow fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The lowest air temperature for the month of December was recorded on this day back in 2010. It was a chilly -17.5°C at Straide, Co. Mayo 🥶❄️

Today and tonight, it will be much milder across Co. Mayo with air temperatures of 4-7°C overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

What an utterly horrendous start to the day, currently 7.6c and lashing rain again after 14mm yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Merry Christmas all, looking for positives it isn't windy and it's not a cold rain! Drink up and be merry!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Blowing a gale in Greystones! 38kts gusting 45kts atm. Sideways rain!

Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Roads totally flooded in S Wexford near Kilmore Quay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement