Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

Arklow Bypass M11 weather station now down to -4c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I appreciate it looks a minor event but is it worth opening a thread for the snow risk tomorrow night? We get so few shots at snow these days not sure we can afford to be picky!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sat view of the approaching fronts and shower field behind to follow streaming out of the Labrador Sea.

Got down to 2.7C just after 18.00 and up now to 6.8C as the wind picks up. Bit of a contrast in temperature across the country now.

Eumetsat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Min of -2.6c so far here in Waterford City. I'm surprised at the pace of the drop considering our close proximity to the coast.

-2.8c at my Davis station

• Advertisement

For better or worse, I've opened a dedicated thread for the next 48 hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

^^^^^

Stampede...... 🏃

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I can't see it on the main page, what happened?

Or at least I did, and it was briefly there, but on my devices its no longer showing? Sadly its probably a sign...

Ah well poo!

(Thanks for trying)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Was it a GFS driven thread? They can be quite, ahem, transitory.

It had a lovely euro 04 chart actually! So good I will paste it here again...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At the moment it looks like the following counties should get at least a flake to low levels overnight, outside chance everywhere else

Donegal, Sligo, Tyrone, Derry, Antrim, Armagh, Mayo, Galway, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Westmeath, Laois, Kildare, Wicklow, Wexford and the 6 occupied counties in Munster (away from immediate Atlantic coasts).

Still a bit uncertainty as to the northward extent of the rain/snow first thing tomorrow morning. Still a little bit of clarification to come.

Exciting eh?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Is Clare and Kerry included in your Munster prediction ?

I could do with a snow day ha ha

11c rise in temp in Arklow overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Here in south Laois it went from -1.4c last night to +8.6c this morning. I think the mild sector was more pronounced than forecast, the UK looks like a bust from their predicted snow from this front apart from the highest peaks there. Currently +8.0c and can see clearing sky coming across the western horizon. Breezy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

Leavenworth Washington Livecam that is some snowfall.

Town has loads of webcams

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

Nice, I check into Jackson's hole sometimes, it's nice too when it's starting to get into daylight... the hustle and bustle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭pauldry

With milder sector milder than forecast colder sector won't be as cold so expect a mess of showers tonight. Sleet hail some snow but all wet but Ulster may see some lying snow.

That's a bit worrying and, unfortunately, it's what we see so often in these situations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This happens nearly every time, Atlantic doesn't do real cold and the models particularly the GFS always over estimates the cold/uppers and snow with Atlantic air involved. We got to wait for a proper long fetch easterly for the real deal and that wait could be anytime between this year and the year 2030.

There are rare exceptions when the Atlantic can deliver real cold and snow but it involves bitterly cold air from the north or east already in place for several days before an Atlantic front tries to move in and turns into an epic snow event. These events are even more rare than decent winter easterlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cool, Bright and breezy now in meath, roughly 2mm of rain this morning, temperature currently 7c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭pauldry

We might as well have fun with our sorry Atlantic mess. Netweather gone green in the West so mess falling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some torrential showers in Kildare through the morning and very breezy. 8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its wintery and horrible in Ennis, but no chance of snow or sleet

My outside thermometer is reading 22.5c so Climate change is going mad on that particular spot in my garden

Temperatures currently aren't exciting

Freezing level must be 6000ft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I think you're post is a little reactionary and OTT. Apart from a brief bit of sleet or snow forecast last night for Northern areas and parts of the UK it was always going to be temporary as it was a mild sector pushing through and that's what the FC on TV said last night. The possible snow is from this evening onwards and from your post seems like you're already calling it a bust before it happens. For Meath it most likely will be but there's more to Ireland.

This possible snow event has always been forecast as a short brief window from this evening until tomorrow morning so I don't know what you were expecting. The Atlantic often delivers snow for parts of Ireland but its hard for anything sustainable from that direction beyond a day or 2 , a few years back I had a high of 0c and constant streamers for 24 hour period, 10 inches fell from that and it was a SW of Canadian Arctic origin. There was a 4 5 day of period of snow on the ground from the Atlantic a few years back as well. Often it doesn't deliver and its only brief to lower levels below 100 to 200m but there are plenty of examples of it delivering for parts of Ireland throughout the years and there wasn't cold air from the N or E already in place contrary to your post.

And Ireland can get the real deal from the North as well, not just east. And saying it could be 2030 before Ireland could see the real deal again because of a mild sector that was forecast today is just bizarre. I don't see how it adds to sensible debate on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I was in Dublin city at 9am this morning walking around and after a heavy rain to drive there it was sunny and felt quite mild.

Now back in Wicklow and it's a bit cooler but a lovely fresh day today with only a light wind. Sunny still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement