Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Just had a rain shower than turned into a sleet shower before it cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not yet but they'll be falling quickly this evening. Let's wait and see! Meanwhile, I see an Irish Times headline and I'm incredibly immature so...

Yellow snow and ice warning to come into effect on Thursday afternoon

...beware of yellow snow!😆

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Latest update from met éireann

Tonight

Tonight will be cold and blustery with widespread wintry showers, some of snow with accumulations in parts of Connacht and Ulster and on high ground. There will be some hail and scattered thunderstorms in Atlantic coastal counties also. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +2 degrees with moderate to fresh and gusty westerly winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Made a stop there on a drive from Portland to Spokane back in 2011. It is modelled like a Bavarian alpine village so would loved to have had a beer there with snow falling. Looks great right now 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Speaking of which, tomorrow will be the 40th anniversary of 1982!

Still one of my favourite RTÉ Archive broadcasts seeing everybody having fun in the 1982 snow in the Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My old man made the cover of the Irish Press (I think) for skiing in a farmers field on what is now the M50 junction for Dundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Stunning skyscape Over South Laois. Temperature 3.6c and dewpoint 1.8c. Another two degrees for snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Amazing Mammatus over Galway after that last heavy shower, driving so couldn't get a picture. Shower was mainly rain with a few grains of ice evident only the window.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nothing OTT about my post. Most of the time Atlantic fronts deliver cold rain, some sleetyness and wet snow in places. I am hard to please when it comes to snow and for decent powder snow it usually comes from the east or north-east. There is the odd time the Atlantic can deliver but there has to be fairly cold air in place with no warm sectors. The 1982 event did come from the Atlantic but there was bitterly cold air in place for days and this probably still stands out as the most memorable snow event of my life, most likely a once in a life time scenario much like the 1985 thunderstorm.

As for northerlies, good northerlies are rare as hens teeth. 2010 was the last one. Majority of northerlies bring showers into Donegal and maybe coastal parts of Sligo and Mayo but the rest of the country is usually dry, clear and frosty as the showers start dying as soon as they make landfall. Polar lows are needed to bring life to a northerly. We are usually too close to high pressure when we get a northerly and we get side swiped by them with very little precipitation and the Atlantic rolls back in soon after. Decent winter easterlies are also rare enough. We've had 3 since 2009 and it's now 2022. The easterlies tend to happen more in March and by then the days and the sun are getting much stronger compared to December/January.

I am still hopeful we may get lucky and get a decent easterly/north-easterly end of January or sometime in February before the Spring sets in, otherwise the wait goes on for another winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I agree gonzo, the Atlantic only really works regards snow when we already have proper cold already established over the country. If that is not the case then cold weather off the Atlantic is scrapping the bottom of the barrel stuff more often then not.

• Advertisement

Heavy prolonged hail in Galway, ground completely covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My sister in Colooney (Sligo) seems to get snow cover every winter from a north westerly at some point. Totally different climate to southern Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes I can vouch for this because I live in carrick on Shannon and we got loads of snow days last year

The Atlantic is crap compared to a Northerly or an Easterly but it does deliver for some. I mentioned 2 examples in the recent past of it delivering big from showers only and there was no cold air already in place, you completely ignored that and doubled down.

I think you have a habit of basing the entire climate of Ireland based solely off what happens at your house. If I were to do the same then Easterlies would be crap for Ireland but I know my small corner isn't what happens elsewhere.

And yes 2010 was the last big Northerly but a run of the mill one had snow lying for 4 5 days in parts of Ireland last January. And it is OTT to say we might not get proper cold until 2030, its the first week of January 2022, its just being miserable for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Heavy shower of rain and sleet here in meath, pushed us above 5mm for the day so far, feels cold in the breeze, temperature currently 1.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Main threat is from around 10pm tonight until 10am tomorrow as the colder uppers move in.

A lot of the West should see some snow but will quickly melt tomorrow as it gradually turns milder.

Worth a watch anyway cause lets face it some years we see zero snow

Wet snow, hail rain whatever you're having mix in Galway, plenty of hail still on the grass from the earlier shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Snow snowers at Knock Airport this evening ,TAF is for more showers overnight. Ground very wet though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sleet/Wet snow near Roscrea

Seven Worlds will Collide

Temps looking better now, away from the west coast that is.

Hail hanging around.

wow.met.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Will much stick or will she simply be a wash out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Very heavy hailstone shower just now in Limerick City with thunder and lightening too

Donegal town to Ballybofey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very little shower activity in Sligo yet and another gap. All showers have been of rain so far but only about 1mm of that if even

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow falling in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Very wet sleety snow for about 5 minutes in Kildare. Turned back to rain. Horrible out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Wet snow in D24

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Is that 'all hail to heavy sleet' as I think we should reserve our worship for the snow only :D

Thanks for the update. not too far north of you. Temps dropping rapidly since late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Snowing in Tallaght heard from a mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Wet snow D24

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement