Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I love seasonal weather but it constantly amazes me how people can be unhappy with extended dry spells in this country at any time of the year!

We can't control the weather, might as well make the best of any good fortune we do get :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

As much as I'm not enjoying this lack of winter, I'll take the current boring dry conditions for the rest of winter over a constant conveyer belt of rain, wind and misery from the Atlantic. Patience is starting to wear very thin tho with no wintry weather in sight any time soon and the clock is starting to tick fast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On the contrary, this weather is beautifully enjoyable during the day, makes it very easy to get outdoor work done and is drying the ground out magnificently ahead of spring planting and livestock release which will arrive before we know it. I hope we get another month of it, then maybe a couple of snow days in February as a reward, before a return to a mild March and hopefully a good outdoor St Patrick's weekend to give a boost to our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Last Friday really was surreal, knee-deep snow and whiteout conditions in the Dublin Mountains; could be as good as it gets this winter!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was thinking the same. Most of us saw some snow last week but for most it was nothing more than sugar coating on the blades of grass away from higher ground but at least it was something. The following week looks mostly mild with very little in the way of frost. The problem with the current high pressure is that it's a very mild high and night time temperatures are remaining several degrees above freezing even with completely clear skies by night.

I don't think I've actually had a frost yet this January and doesn't look like there will be any till about the 20 or 21st of January.

If the models continue with the high pressure into the final week of January there is a chance it will either go even milder (what the models are currently showing) or we may begin to get the Atlantic back. There is an outside chance of a cold toppler end of January but if we do get one it is likely to be dry and very brief. February is still up in the air, anything can happen that month. At the moment the long term models do not give us much hope of a cold February.

Both the JMA and CFS are supporting a very zonal and mild flat as a pancake February. There is a real possibility the current pattern could persist thorughout February where we may get an unsettled week or two from the Atlantic before high pressure comes back for another few weeks, We shall see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Derekon2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

You need to move to the midlands! We had a reasonably decent snowfall last week and this week I have had ice on the car for at least three mornings. I think the current benign weather is very welcome, there is plenty of opportunities to go for long walks without getting soaked or to do some outside work.

There is finally a slight frost here in Meath, I think the last frost was mid December. Temperature currently 0C however it is due to rise later in the night so no frost by the morning. It does appear we may get the first nationwide frost of the year on Sunday night into Monday morning.

Once the frost clears Monday morning it does look like the first half of next week will be reasonably mild with temperatures possibly reaching 11 or 12C in places by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It's real life, not fiction. Real life doesn't meet up with expectations very often.

There's not going to be a big freeze this winter, just alternating periods of warmer, wetter and colder.

It's starting to look a bit more promising definitely with the GFS anyway but we will have to be very cautious as every hint of winter that the GFS has shown since December 1st has not come to pass. GFS 12z will be important to see will more of it's ensemble members fall in line for cold. Would like to see the GEM joining in on the action too. As we get closer to the end of January we need to see all models, GFS, GEM, ECM and Icon all going for it to begin getting excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Are we resorting to charts 16 days away now? 😔

Yep we sure are. The ECM,UKMO, Icon and GEM operational are only up to 240 hours and show nothing but high pressure from start to finish so there is no point showing that as they all look the same and show no way out of the high pressure. The only charts worth showing because they show something different are well into the 12 to 16 day timeframe. We can only hope that the models flip over the next few days ending the continuous runs of high pressure and that we can start looking at charts that are not over 2 weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

First time to log on in weeks. Very notable calm and settled winter so far by Donegal Bay standards. A few wet and windy spells but nothing major. We are now at the point of winter where the white stuff would want to start materialising. I consider snow after the last day of February to be not worth it. Nothing worse than March snow all wet and slushy as it thaws under the strengthening sun.

Can anyone please give me a glimmer of hope that there's the possibility of snow within the next 4 to 6 weeks on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

Very bland winter in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Love that there’s high pressure around personally. Dry and calm weather great for exercising and getting out and about. Bit of a stretch in the evenings soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is turning into the crappiest January in some time with the near constant cloud cover.

The ECM at day 10 offers more of the same. I suspect the way out of this is the high slinking away south eastwards meaning a return to milder more unsettled weather. I can't see the high doing anything else given the strength of the tpv, if we are lucky it may perhaps shift westwards enough to allow a brief toppler before the azores edges in again. I just don't see any route to a lengthy cold spell this winter. I hope i am proven wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day here in Kerry, got up to 10.2C and currently 3.4C.

Time-lapse from this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What a lovely night, clear skies,light winds and bright moon.

I think the best we can hope for by the end of January is a brief flirt with a dry northerly before either high pressure or the Atlantic rolls back in. If the rest of winter continues a combination of generally mild high pressure and some no mans land or Atlantic mild then this will probably rank up in my top 5 worst winters of all time. It's certainly giving the winter of 2019/2020 a run for it's money with how crap it is but in a different way.

February is still all to play for and everything is up for grabs but I have a feeling the Atlantic will probably win through in the end over anything from the north or east. We may have to wait till March or April for that and by then I would have lost my interest in searching for cold and snow.

Most of Europe isn't fairing much better than us either away from Scandinavia and eastern Europe along with Greece. The way the high pressure is set up right now is perfection for a snowy winter in Greece and the CFS has no less than 7 beast from the east style plunges into Greece over the next 6 weeks, it's heartbreaking for cold and snow lovers in this part of Europe.

February is still all to play for and I hope the models become more kind to us over the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Some of that stratus cloud which seems to have been such a feature of anticyclonic conditions so often in recent times over Ireland broke up somewhat here in Mayo this afternoon to give a pleasant afternoon and evening. Makes such a nice difference to light levels when that stubborn blanket of cloud fragments and lets the sun through.

As Oscar Bravo previously mentioned, we now have a lovely moonlit night here.

Below, pleasant conditions around Lough Cullin near Foxford this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A chilly -1.7c in South Laois right now. That cold is penetrative getting into the bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Down to -2.3c already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-3c in parts of the South Midlands ❄️❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It’s been very boring but although I didn’t really like December after the decent sunny (sometimes seasonable and Barra was interesting) first half, I’ve enjoyed January. Been plenty of winter sunshine to enjoy in Dublin, have nearly reached the January monthly average. Also very dry. I prefer it over 2016-17 and 2018-19 so far at least. 2018-19 was greatly cloudier and 2016-17 was the most tedious winter of my lifetime with nothing to talk about interesting or enjoyable. Winter 1991-92 would probably be even more tedious than 2016-17 if I had experienced it.

I’ll happily take more of what we’ve been having this January if it’s not gonna be beasts from the east or arctic blasts which by the way there is zero sight of at this point in time. You’re wasting your time with the GFS FI!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Mad how much our little island can vary. I wouldn't say wall to wall sunshine in Dublin but hasn't been far off it either. Another glorious morning in the Capital as I write this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Such a wintry scene this morning. Delightful. Feed the birds please.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I can't recall a period of weather this nice in winter in Dublin, ever. So calm and sunny every day.

• Advertisement

A lovely morning in Meath and finally there is a frost this month!

The Models have no interest bringing us anything different over the next week to 10 days aside from maybe a 6 hour flirt with a northerly so snow looks pretty much off the table till at least the 1st week of February and there is still no end in sight to the high pressure.

January a total write off for cold and snow but have to admit as boring as the weather currently is, it is the best outcome if we're not going to get cold or snow because there is nothing more miserable than a conveyer belt from the Atlantic, especially during the winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement