Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder will we pay for all this high pressure during the summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That's what is making me concerned with the models right now. It has killed our chances for cold and snow anytime soon. It could cause a bigger problem down the line when will the models actually flip to a prolonged unsettled and cooler than average setup. This pattern won't last forever, it's already lasted almost half a year. If were lucky and have a few more months of this pattern, we could end up getting a nice Spring but I can't see it lasting all the way into summer 2022. If we get the major flip to unsettled Atlantic dominance around say April or May then i'll be be preparing for a wet and chilly summer. We are definitely going to pay at some stage for all these extended runs of dry weather since June.

With so much high pressure in control since the start of last summer, let's hope by this summer we're not back to our usual summer position of looking into FI charts chasing a 4 day spell of high pressure with dry and settled weather always 10 days away. In some ways it would be better if this pattern persists all the way to the 1st week of September 2022 and get a genuinely decent summer.

We had a fairly decent summer last year overall ,though as usual August was pretty poor. Might be too much to ask getting 2 decent summers in a row.

I think a nice spring could be on offer this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

I don't understand this "we will pay" stuff. does an extended high pressure run increase the chances of a low pressure system later on or something? genuine question cause I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Went for a walk up by Vartry reservoir in Roundwood this morning, absolutely beautiful.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The form horse for this country is Atlantic driven weather with regular low pressures moving west to east across the country. This pattern is usually here for the majority of the year with only the odd break here and there. 2019 and 2020 were generally very wet throughout except for Spring 2019 which was a fantastic season. Summer 2020 was a complete write off and Autumn 2020 was often very wet. 2021 has been different. Regular bouts of extended high pressure interrupted by shorter spells of very wet and unsettled conditions and followed up again by prolonged high pressure. The Atlantic has rarely produced more than 3 weeks of unsettled conditions at a time over the past several months and this is unusual so I expect at some stage we will get pattern flip back to extended unsettled influence from the Atlantic like what we see most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got down to -4.8c in south Laois last night. Grass min hit -8.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another absolutely stunning sunny Jan day in Dublin. Coastal walk along Malahide to Portmanock was stunning.

I'm loving this winter in Dublin, dry+ sunny what more could you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-5c here in carrick last night was so cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

I hear ya. Today was glorious. A proper frost this morning and a crisp day followed with dazzling sunshine. However, there is one more thing I want and that is a good fall of snow. Don’t see that happening anytime soon. Much of February could end up being like what we are experiencing now. March could well be the month when we get a cold blast from the east or north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Unfortunately I was too busy to get outside during the day today as was very busy with work. It looked absolutely stunning out there. The winter in general has been beautiful, almost continental, in that the winds have been light, there's not been much rain and there's been a fair share of nice sunny days too. Not the usual winter crap of relentless wind and rain with constant wet ground and an inability to spend lots of time outdoors without being soaked to the skin or blown around by a gale......or both!

Long may this stunning winter weather continue as it has been making a big difference for me this season. Around about this time of year is when I usually get a touch of SAD but the fine enough weather of the past several months mean that this is the best I've been feeling in mid winter than I can remember in a long long time.

Chances are this great weather is just a little blip but imagine if this was the effects of climate change in this part of the world and the weather of late was becoming our new normal! One can only dream.

I can't help but think how warm this setup would be in July. We would probably be low to mid twenties every single day with high twenties in places. All I want for summer 2022 is a setup like what we have right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was just saying to someone earlier that I wish we could bank these days for June - August and just take the pain now in the sh*tty dark months. I'm making the most of this nice weather anyway but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Dazler97

11c temperature difference at the moment across Ireland

-2C currently here in Meath. First proper frost of 2022 last night and it remained in shaded areas throughout the day. Very frosty again now but temperatures will rise during the night from the west so the frost will probably be gone by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thing is that if this rather dry blocking pattern continues into late-June and we get a mid-summer heatwave I'd be looking out for very high temperatures under the right setup. A dry ground will allow the air at 2m height to heat more easily.

IIRC in 1887 there was a very dry spell leading up to that famous 33.3c recorded in Kilkenny.

Meanwhile back at this ranch and in the present, it's a partly cloudy morning with a southerly breeze with temperatures of around 6c.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just hope there isnt a long sting in the tail as payback for the last 9 months being pretty perfect for Ireland. No repeat of last Mar or April please!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Last March? I think you mean April and May. I frankly would love a repeat of those two months. April 2021 was absolutely gorgeous. Once that northerly wind from the 5th/6th had passed, I didn’t even feel it that cold. Plenty of beautiful sunny days for getting out and about. Sure not shorts weather but not gonna complain at all. One of my favourite months I’ve experienced, a gem. There were even signs of the grass turning brown which was strange to see in such a cold month. I can’t think of a month as sunny, as dry and as cold relative to average before in Ireland. Quite unique.

May I can understand disliking completely with all the rain and below average temperatures up until final few days. Fortunately, besides the temperatures which; unlike April when it was often calm; I felt the chill from, got away with murder here as rain had often come overnight or in the form of showers and days themselves had good sunny spells. I’ve seen worse Mays. I’m grateful it wasn’t nearly as bad here as it was for many others. Do find it a bit odd though how the UK had a very cloudy May whilst none of the Republic of Ireland stations had below average sunshine. Can’t just be the fact we have lower sunshine averages than some as May is our sunniest month of the year and we’re quite close to much of England in that month.

Those pair were the first time there were 2 consecutive months at least a degree below the old cold 1961–90 average for the Central England region since November/December 2010. A fascinating pair, them and the July heatwave were about the only interesting parts of 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well we had 5 years of poor Summers 2007 to 2012 so maybe 5 years of High Pressures now!! I don't see this pattern changing for a long while but of course Spain sucks our Highs in Summer so if it does go it will likely be then. The Atlantics fairly dead at present so nothing to move it and Highs stay more of less in the same place for weeks on end.

Maybe the volcano might shake up the world's weather a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I was thinking that myself that it may have an influence on the weather and cool things down

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Was it 5 or 6 years. Always thought 5 but when I count it back it comes to 6! Never forget that run as had just moved back from Oz so a shock .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

5 because 2010 was decent outside of July (which was a terrible month in the west especially). Only "poor" thing about it overall, if it's a warm, dry and sunny summer you seek, was the lack of very warm days.

Still no sign to the end of the high pressure, it looks locked in till the 1st week of February and could very well last beyond Valentines Day. If it breaks before then we will most likely bring back mild south-westerlies as some of the models want to move the high from us back down over Spain and Portugal where it will mostly stay until the Autumn. The next few weeks look completely snow free for much of Europe but if it's snow you want you better get on a plane and head for Athens, there will be no shortage of white gold in Greece over the next few weeks.

I've basically lost complete interest in this winter and don't care what happens now for February now that the ship has sailed for mid winter. Hoping now for a mild and dry Spring and a summer to at least rival last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Losing interest also. This winter has been a dud and a major disappointment for snow. However, I have been enjoying this dry spell of late as it’s great for walks/runs etc. The frost of recent days has been nice too. Much prefer this current weather to Atlantic onslaughts anyway.

This winter promised so much (background signals etc) but failed to deliver once again. No doubt March and April will produce a snowy/sleety spell that we just don’t want by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jeez the UKMO long range update is grim. We can forget about any real cold spell for the first two weeks of February if it is correct. This winter is turning out like those dire snowless winters of the 90s. I would still welcome a good snow fall in late February, but would prefer it in the heart of winter where we can achieve ice days much more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Been good in terms of being able to get out and about, most of the last 7-8 weeks have been dry.

Doesn't feel like winter though, more like autumn in Cork, I can't recall being cold yet.

Aside from the highest mountain peaks, Western Europe will be completely snow free up to February. Even southern half of Sweden and all of Denmark will be green over the next 2 weeks. Not much in Poland either. This is every bit as grim for snow as was the winter of 2019/2020 when the PV broke records throughout the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rained most of yesterday in South Leitrim. Back to sunshine today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wall to wall sunshine again and no wind in Costa del Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement