Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gavsweather released his winter forecast.

In short:

December

Wetter than average particularly first half of the month and temperatures close to average. Christmas is 50/50 mild/cold.

January

Perhaps a mild start but turning progressively colder with cold and snowy periods the further on we go. Possibly the coldest January since 2010.

February

A month with cold spells and milder spells alternating, Possibly the coldest February since 2010 or 1996.

The colder than average winter forecast comes with a warning, the warming trend of the past few years and the very warm to hot Autumn 2021 are not good indicators of a colder than average winter. A colder than average winter can't be guaranteed considering the amount of warmth we've had this year. Any September which has featured very warm temperature anomalies like the one we had this year, have never been followed by a colder than average winter.

The full winter forecast is available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJHI2n_eMgs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh wow here's hoping that happens looking forward to it 🤞😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Theweatheroutlook is going for a colder than averge winter for the UK too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully quiet early day. Rumbustious at times in the night.

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There will be an intense storm on Tuesday, apparently, we just don't know for sure where it's going to hit as models have a variety of tracks on offer. Ireland is the leading candidate and some of the maps this morning look quite impressive for wind potential. Other tracks that could materialize would take the low further south, if it's not all that far south then the low ends up crossing Ireland and some parts of the south coast could see strong winds, all areas would see a significant rainfall. If the low goes into southern England or northern France as some guidance suggests, then Ireland could be spared much significant weather ahead of a more certain moderate frontal event for mid-week. So keep checking forecasts, there could be some fairly severe weather approaching by Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yep,the warm autumn can't be ignored especially the very warm September. If we even get just an average winter i think we will be doing well.

Storm Barra likely next week ,I hope It won't be one of those stormy bloody winters. Dont mind the odd storm though.

I reckon high pressure will be back for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

I'll accept and embrace this storm next week but no more I tells ya, no more! At least it's happening early Dec and not Christmas week.

Fingers and everything else crossed that we have a cold, frosty Christmas to New Year with perhaps the odd snow shower thrown in.

Mild and deep gray. Just was out to the Atlantic north facing back area for fuel and not a movement. Low tide and very drained looking and the sky drab and heavy. No need to light the stove.

And now I hear rain?

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah that’s a good few runs now that GFS brings it to the south of Ireland. Those in Brittany will need to be alert for this.

ECM still showing it west of Ireland so will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Even met Éireann have a weather advisory up for the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Deary me. This could be bad. Batten down the hatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Be great to see some active and interesting weather if it bears out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Local weather forecast mentions snow on high ground for tonight and tomorrow. Gales, perhaps severe on Tuesday.

Met office outlook below. Promising enough for snow changes.

Wednesday 8 Dec - Friday 17 Dec

A largely unsettled start to the period, with showers likely for most and a chance of snow across northern Scotland. Showers, as well as some longer spells of rain continuing into Wednesday with blustery winds, particularly over high ground. These unsettled conditions are likely to continue for the rest of the period with longer spells of rain affecting most of the country, with the potential to turn heavy in southern areas. Following these periods of rain, showery conditions are likely, with a chance of snow even at lower elevations. Feeling cold in the north, with the potential to spread further south at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This night last year I saw my first snowfall of the season. Only brought the vaguest of dustings but was a lovely night for a walk.

Midnight analysis (4th)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭pauldry

Weird. I'm waiting for a mad storm but now ones possible I hope it doesn't come. We've only one tree left n Barra may take it.

Dec 2000 was cold. Car got stuck in deep snow on December 28th. It snowed like fec on Dec 27th.

This Winter does look cold. Even if there's 10foot of snow the media will still be covidcovidcovid

85kph winds gusting tonight. Knew that satellite looked nasty

Heavy hail n Sligo now

Sleepless in West Mayo.... I went to sleep early without looking at the forecast. Then the banshee broke loose. And bitterly cold. It has practicalities here, like getting fuel in, and all the routines.... wrapping the gas bottle pipes outside,, Never weather in esoteric isolation. A way of life. Love it......

Hail hurled against windows in high volume deluge, Bitterly cold

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭4Ad

A calm 5.5c here in East Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Háil and strong winds in Leitrim. Cold temps last night.

Baltic outside and now sporadic rain. Snugged in!

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Getting hit by a train of very heavy showers here in East Cork all morning. Hopefully they die off in the next hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some heavy showers passing through today, strong winds with a bit of a bite, even managed some sleety rain this morning in east-ish Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Definitely heavy showers in cork city today, some hail. Usually coming with strong gusts of wind.

It has suddenly gone very quiet...

It was so lovely when I went to the oceanside back field a little while ago.

It must have been full tide, and a great roaring of the mighty waters.

A shining sky. with a rim of rose gold as the sun began cresting the horizon. Strange sculptured clouds high above. Gray with gilded edges. As the LIGHT growing behind and around them gained momentum.

An image to hold on to.

Heavy rain now..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stunner of a day in East Cork. Clear blue skies and a fresh breeze. Perfect walking weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Don't forget to feed the birds folks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement