Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2021/2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No change since yesterday or the day before. Cloudy calm dry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Several bands of heavy rainfall will bring accumulations of 30-50mm, with higher totals likely in mountainous regions. This may lead to localised flooding and hazardous driving conditions.

Valid: 02:00 Wednesday 22/12/2021 to 06:00 Thursday 23/12/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

What is the forecast for Christmas Eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭mcburns07

That really depends on where you are in the country?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The forecast for Christmas Eve currently looks like this.

Cold in the far north with temperatures 3 to 5C, cool across north Connaught, the midlands and most of Leinster with temperatures 5 to 7C. Much milder across the south and south-west especially with temperatures reaching 10 or 11C there.

Precipitation will most likely be rain with some patchy mostly light sleet or wet snow possible in Donegal and high ground in Northern Ireland. Heaviest of the rain across the south and driest in the northern half of the country. A chance of frost on Christmas Day night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tom_Crean

Christmas eve fell on a Friday in 2004. I remember Christmas week fondly with the white Christmas forecast getting stronger with each passing day.

North wexford! Santa has some building to do so just trying to see what to expect!

Also will it be windy as well as wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rbelmc

Happy Christmas to all boards.ie weather readers from Sweden.It's been one of the coldest Decembers in a number of years for many parts of Sweden.It looks like being the snowiest Christmas here since 2012 and almost all of the country should have a covering of snow by the 24th. We have very cold temps here at the moment and the long term forecast is for the cold weather to continue so the potential for Ireland is good if the winds can start coming from the East/North East instead.Hoping you all get to experience the white gold before the winter is out.It certainly brightens up the landscape around here in Norra Gotaland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The weather since Barra has been absolutely lovely. Superb for walking and running.

Tomorrow sees a return to wind/rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

All the models look poor enough for cold post 28 December tonight. Maybe a bit of wintryness 26-28 December.

I'd say we'll be looking for any serious cold in January.

The timing couldn’t be any worse, was looking forward to getting some long walks in over the festive period. Hopefully after a wet remainder of this week we can get some settled weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Some wet gear from Santa perhaps? Then you can do suitable penance for the gluttony on Xmas day!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A mild end to December and start of January may be what we need, to reset the pattern and try again for mid to late January to try and get a proper cold and snowy spell. This cool to cold snap is going to be more of a nuisance more than anything. Have to admit my confidence of this January delivering has reduced a bit recently.

The enthusiasm has really been sucked out of the forum the last few days, prospects looked great and then the inevitable happened.

A reminder that models are pretty worthless beyond 5 or so days. But sure we’ll never learn!

True.

I'm usually confident into late in the season but I'm actually not confident of the whole winter!

I wouldn't be a fierce fan of snow post 20 February. Your 2 months from the winter solstice, a month from the Spring Equinox, and the sun angle has risen a lot.

Like in 2010 snow at this time of the year is great as the sun is so low, days shorter.

Emma was good in 2018, but just a bit too late for me. Sunrise was 7.15am and sunset 18.07. As opposed to 8.40am and 16.14pm today in my area. That's roughly a 3 hrs 30min longer day for end of February, start of March than mid winter.

That's why if winter's to come January to Valentine's Day are good dates if you get nothing in December.

It's like getting 25c plus in September, like this year. It's really like summer in the daytime. But it's not like a June/July heatwave as it's getting dark between 7.30 and 8pm. It's not high summer. Like Emma didn't come in high winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

It makes 2010 all the more special because it was so rare to get proper cold and snow in late Nov and most of December.

I also have no confidence in January delivering the goods. Luck is just not on our side. Even when the synoptics are good we still bloody can’t get lucky! It’s so frustrating. Might have to book a flight to Scandi to experience some real winter weather in Jan or Feb.

Czech weather services medium term outlook isn't expecting an after Xmas return to wintry weather there until after January 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The one straw to clutch is all that warm air going northwards may lead to heights further north eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Billcarson

So no cold spell over Xmas . The hope was nice while it lasted. But following on from one of our warmest autumns on record ( including that very warm September) i suppose its not a total surprise at the end of the day. Pissed off and disappointed but seemed to good to be true. I've yet to record my first air frost of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Seeing the word mild consistently post-Barra is just grim this time of year, after the 6 month summer we had. It almost feels wrong to be posting in the winter thread at this stage given what we have been having! Hopefully a blast of ice in January will set the country right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hope this morning isn't an indicator of weather this week

A return to very wet weather this morning in Cork. The rain woke me at 5am. I've been watching weather for about 25 years and one thing I have observed in the last few years is that we are getting more very dry periods which are fairly brutally interrupted by periods of wet weather. This has been the pattern here for the last while - dry, settled weather for long periods with little to no rain and then a system that brings 30-50mm of rain over a few days.

The only consolation is we’ve seen many times how quickly things can change, even with the models. I’m sure we’ll get a decent cold spell at some point this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It was always in the balance with no significant northern blocking to set up a battle zone. Turned out that way in the end.

Will we ever see strong northern blocking again in a winter month? I don’t think so which is why snow is more likely in March and April is 21st century ‘winters’.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Billcarson

No pubs (AFTER 8) ,no snow not even a frost over Xmas. Only cans and some rain and probably mild rain at that, even cold rain would feel a little seasonal 😆 Xmas 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I stopped getting annoyed about things going to hell years ago as it happens 90% plus of the time. If something can go wrong it probably will. I'll only start to look forward to it if its within 48 hours and even then I'm cautious. The models are good if it's zonal but once there's a hint of snow or where a storm will track the accuracy plummets

Over the last couple of days the snow chances for me were going down but I was looking forward to some cold and frosty weather whether there was snow or not. That won't happen now, and I am slightly irritated by that for the first time in years as I'm sick of the mundane mild shite. The met office forecast was a bust, met eireann did much better.

We just had our warmest autumn on record up here, I can't remember there ever being such little frost by now. There was rose bushes blooming at the end of November, still noticing lots of spiders. The seasons are ...... Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Grand stretch in the evening.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement