Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using european appliances in Ireland

Options
  • 29-07-2021 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

I purchased a coffee machine from Amazon Italy, but it wouldn't work when i plugged it in. Every chance it was faulty, as it was a Warehouse item and the fault may not have been reported by the previous customer. No biggie, they'll refund me once i ship it back to them, incl the cost of shipping.

My question is, there's no reason on my side that it shouldn't have worked here, is there?

I tried it with 3 different adaptors, there was power to the sockets - no lights, no sounds, nothing happened when i tried to power it on.

I'll probably try buying it new the next time, or used like new maybe. But don't want to go thru the whole rigmarole again if there's a valid reason it wouldn't work in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

There is no reason, I once brought a toaster back from Italy. I did change the plug top though. It shouldn't make any difference though if you are using an adapter. Most likely its faulty. Always assuming it actually is Italian of course. Does it have a CE mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks

german brand - Melitta so no issues in that sense.

It’s faulty.

Irish appliances are European appliances. There’s absolutely no difference whatsoever in the specifications, other than we use a weird plug and socket system.

You need to use a proper Schuko to Irish adaptor though, not just a tourist one and absolutely not a shaver adapter.

either

* with the earth connections at the top and bottom that looks like a German socket. (Suitable for any continental CEE 7 plug

or

* a converter plug, which completely encases the Schuko plug turning it into a slightly oversized Irish plug top (there are 3 types depending on whether it’s an earthed 16 amp plug, a heavy duty non earthed 16 amp plug, or the flat, compact 2.5amp europlug found on most small appliances)

Most companies don’t care if you change the plug. There isn’t a single European plug type, rather CEE 7/7 is just the most common type used in most countries. Italy, Denmark, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta are all outliers.

Some appliances are also connected via fixed wiring, so plugs are removed. Some are connected to non-standard plugs eg might be used in an older building, a wall socket for controlling lamps etc etc.

If you read the instructions on most appliances there are still wiring instructions suggesting the plug be cut off and replaced, if it’s incompatible with the type used where it’s being installed.

It wasn’t that long ago you’d still find Schuko sockets or BS546 round pin sockets in use in older Irish wiring. So plugs were normally replaced. The same kind of thing happens in Italy, Denmark etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"There’s absolutely no difference whatsoever in the specifications, other than we use a weird plug and socket system."

There’s still absolutely no difference whatsoever in the appliances. They’re made to exactly the same specifications for the single EU market, which we are part of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Why we'll never go back to the old two pin plugs here in Ireland.

The modern versions of them have childproof shutters and are polarised if you’re using the French version.

As you’re probably well aware, millions of Swedish people are killed every year by not using British plugs…

My point is you are entitled to change the plug on an appliance, provided it’s done correctly There isn’t a single European standard set in law, and there’s a single market for appliances.

If you buy an appliance anywhere in the EU it will work anywhere else in the EU and conform to exactly the same standards, except for the moulded plug in a small number of countries.

If you’re in Italy, for example, that coffee machine may ship with a Schuko plug, which may be swapped for an Italian 3 pin plug.

Italian system:

The same happens in Denmark and can also happen in contexts where something is being used with older fittings or fixed wiring.

There’s a myth that you’ll invalidate the warranty by changing the plug. Several manufacturers for example confirm that is absolutely not the case.

There are also now proper converter plugs that fit on over the continental plug, and basically turn it into an Irish 3 pin plug top. This makes life much easier for manufacturers, as it means they can avoid regional runs for small markets and it’ll become a big feature as supply chains here no longer link to the U.K.

Unlike the USA for example, the EU single market has multiple plug types in use, due to several countries not using CEE 7/3 or 7/5, so that has to be accommodated by allowing swapping of plugs.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

Hhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭monkeyactive

Out of interest, what is wrong with using a tourist converter?

I have an appliance I've been using for years in a tourist converter.

I've also done that thing where you push in the top gap in a socket with something non metallic then just insert the German plug below.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Well many of them are only rated for 3 to 5A for a start… other reasons are that some do not include an earth pin or just don't facilitate a reliable earthing connection… so it really is to be avoided.

But on a double-insulated device (one which has no earth pin or has a plastic earth pin) then you could be fine and not experience any issue ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement