Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike trailer for older child

Options
  • 30-07-2021 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I am looking for a bike trailer for a mates child who has some mobility issues. The kid is coming on 4 and I am looking about for a trailer that could deal with his weight as he grows so they can get a few years use out of it. I would also be looking for a similar trailer for another friend whos child has to have certain medical equipment with them at all times so it would need to have some small storage space.

Are there any places in Ireland that would supply such trailers for people with disabilities or would it need to be bought and then altered to suit the needs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I met someone on the road with a 6yo in what looked like a trailer slightly smaller than my old trailer, the Chariot Cougar.

He reckoned though that he had to get a cargo bike next, which is why I got talking to him; I was cycling a bakfiets cargo bike.

Past early childhood cargo bikes are best, I think. You can get ones with electric assist too. The bakfiets I recommend, though I've never tried the electric version. I bring an 11yo and a 9yo to school in one (long story); with electric assist it would be a lot less tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭pairofpears

A cargo bike is a big investment and I don't think my friends could stretch that far for something they wouldn't use much. We're out in the country but we do have the royal canal close by but they would want to be out the whole time to get the use out of it.

There is the Argo cargo bike convertor which is about 1k or so but that's still a good wedge of cash.

I was thinking a trailer as there's a good few floating about on Adverts and donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sure thing. As I said, I've seen a 6yo in a fairly standard trailer. I'm pretty sure you could do the same (but not much older) for the Chariot Cougar, which is the only child trailer I've used. It's not that cheap, but cheaper than a cargo bike, and it's useful as a general trailer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I recently bought this for my 7year old

He has no interest in cycling yet, and was getting too heavy for a bike seat on the bike (over 20kgs). Now my son would be small for a 7 year old (down syndrome, and prem born). But we needed to get him something to keep him on the biks with us for when we would go all out together. I've found it very useful, panniers are handy and can carry a bit in them. The only issue with them is that they are held onto the frame with velcro straps, not a sturdy pannier frame is you get me. Has pedals that the child can assist with pedalling if they wish....or not in my sons case :) Its well made and is easy to put together when delivered. Enjoying it so far. I think from the manuals or reviews that i read up on, the trailer will do till the child reaches 30kgs in weight.

Advertisement