Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering a UK car that ha been stored in Ireland for 15 years

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If anyone is advocating fraudulent methods to avoid paying VRT, customs or both, it will be the quickest way to get this thread closed folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Unless it's an absolute bargain I'd pass it and buy another. The hassle will be unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

VRT is surely only applicable on a car that is to be driven on Irish roads? If you do a Clarkson and buy an Alpha C8 to mount on your wall as a work of art, I can't see any reason why it would need a registration number and be registered to be driven on the roads, or for VRT to be paid; assuming this was prior to Brexit when it wouldn't count as an import in terms of VAT - in the case of it being intended as art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

well according to the strict rules, you would need to register and VRT any vehicle coming into the state. If you don't do so, nothing will happen unless you subsequently decide to put it on the road, and then you find the VRT clock has been ticking since the date of import and all the paperwork that brings will be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

So if I bought a car but only wanted it for parts, it will never be on the road here, I could bring it in without having to vrt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Would you have a link for that strict rule? I had a quick look and all I found was this:

"The requirement to register

It is an offence to drive an unregistered vehicle in the State. If you do not register your vehicle, Revenue or the Gardaí can detain it. It could also be seized by Revenue and may be released on the payment of a penalty."

So no drive, no penalty. For instance, I doubt that a motor museum that imported a vintage car on a trailer for display, that was never and would never be driven on irish roads, would need to pay VRT and have it registered to drive on the road.

Registration is intrisically and solely concerned with vehicles that are to be driven on the road.

From the RSA:

"The vehicle registration figures issued by the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Transport for 2005 show that thereare 66,669 agricultural tractors registered in Ireland. This suggests that the majority of tractors are not registered as they donot travel on public roads."

In other words, they aren't registered because they don't have to be if not driven on roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, a car or motorbike that will never be used in a public place (e.g. race track or display only) does not have to be registered. Therefore no VRT.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement